PDA

View Full Version : Road rage!

Jowy
08-15-2006, 09:36 PM
So while I was in the passenger seat last night of my friend's car, I noticed that she's one of the angriest people behind the wheel I've ever seen. Do you have issues with road rage? And how do you take it out?

When I'm driving, I'm usually relaxed and don't care if some jackass is in a hurry and let him pass me, and kinda accept that I'll catch a red light sometimes.

Meat Puppet
08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm usually on the receiving end of road rage. I don't drive very fast. :-\

Rye
08-15-2006, 09:49 PM
I am a newbie driver, so if anything, I'm also on the receiving end of the road rage. I drive a bit slow, but then again, I've only really driven on smaller less busy two-way roads. :p

Tavrobel
08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm a newb driver too. The only difference is I drive twenty miles above the speed limit. Thirty on the highway.

Fuzakeru
08-15-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm a newb driver too. The only difference is I drive twenty miles above the speed limit. Thirty on the highway.

Ah! I usually scream profanity at people like you from behind the wheel. xD

Erhm. I have pretty nasty road rage but I usually only voice it when someone is beside me. If I'm alone I just get this scowl or start singing really loud.

I have a friend who calls me every night on her way home from town and I swear she has the worst road rage. "Yeah, so I went over to that little store down the corner and YEAH GREAT! JUST CUT ME THE **** OFF YOU LITTLE ********* ARGH! I HOPE YOU HIT A POLE! . . . but yeah, I only tend to go to the store when - etc"

kikimm
08-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't drive, but when I'm with someone....it depends. My Mormor, or Grandmother, has really bad road rage. Swears like a sailor, way too much honking. It's scary, and it makes me laugh. My parents are totaly fine, though. Although whenever my dad is on the receiving end of it, or something, he always gives me this long talk about road rage.

oddler
08-15-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't drive very fast at all. At red lights, however, I accelerate quickly to the speed limit and the people beside me sometimes think I'm trying to race... :rolleyes2 MOST of the time, I'm on the recieving end of the road rage.

Jess
08-15-2006, 10:19 PM
One of my friends has the worst road rage ever. Almost every other sentance he says while driving is aimed at another driver that has pissed him off. He also beeps all the time, even for minor reasons. :jess:

Owen Macwere
08-15-2006, 10:25 PM
I am an angry driver, if someone tries to cross me, I start to shout and curse, and dad always piss me off for his calmness. -_-

edczxcvbnm
08-15-2006, 10:56 PM
I dish out road rage left and right. You ain't driving the way I want...boy will you hear about it. I honk the horn, flip you the bird, swear. But I will not get out of the car. Why bother? The car is the best weapon of all!

Miriel
08-16-2006, 01:07 AM
My brother used to seriously frighten me with road rage. He once got so mad he grabbed all the water bottle/soda cans in his car and started chucking them at the car in front of him.

Also, one time he pulled up next to a old man who was taking up two lanes and started yelling at him to hurry up and go die so that the world wouldn't have to deal with his "senile ass".

Yamaneko
08-16-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to die early if I spend more time on the LA streets and freeways. Everyone is giving me high blood pressure.

Christmas
08-16-2006, 01:11 AM
I alway activate my hidden arsenal of swords on my bike and hack the hell out of whoever that piss me off. :bigsmile:

Markus. D
08-16-2006, 01:38 AM
my Step Father is an Ass behind the wheel.... not that he isnt anywhere else... the jerk.

Fuego
08-16-2006, 03:56 AM
It sux cause i have been driving 7 years and hate everyone on the road ... so naturally i take the bus :D

rubah
08-16-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm erratic. Sometimes I get really frustrated driving, and sometimes nothing can fluster me.

Shoeberto
08-16-2006, 04:29 AM
Some things that people do infuriate me. Like passing me when I'm doing 55 on a 55 going into a 25. When that happens, I speed up and ride on their tail like there's no tomorrow. Sometimes even follow them if they're going somewhere I'm not. It irks me bad.

RSL
08-16-2006, 04:32 AM
Some things that people do infuriate me. Like passing me when I'm doing 55 on a 55 going into a 25. When that happens, I speed up and ride on their tail like there's no tomorrow. Sometimes even follow them if they're going somewhere I'm not. It irks me bad.

Oh man I used to do that. One time this backfired as it pissed the guy off and he randomly stomped his breaks to make me hit him. And hit him I did. I've calmed down a lot as a driver since then.

Dr Unne
08-16-2006, 04:45 AM
When people tailgate me (i.e. every time I drive anywhere), I start carefully going 3 mph below the speed limit. Sometimes I oscillate my speed 10 mph or so up and down randomly to make the person behind me wear his brakes out. It's not rage so much as enjoyment of punishing bad people. I have a lot of patience.

My father does the "randomly slam the breaks" move when people tailgate him. I imagine it scares the crap out of people.

Hawkeye
08-16-2006, 04:51 AM
For good reason. One tends to get what one deserves.

edczxcvbnm
08-16-2006, 04:57 AM
When people tailgate me (i.e. every time I drive anywhere), I start carefully going 3 mph below the speed limit. Sometimes I oscillate my speed 10 mph or so up and down randomly to make the person behind me wear his brakes out. It's not rage so much as enjoyment of punishing bad people. I have a lot of patience.

My father does the "randomly slam the breaks" move when people tailgate him. I imagine it scares the crap out of people.

I wear my brakes out on my own. If you are going 3 miles under I honk my horn until you speed up. If that doesn't work then I pass you up. If you then proceed to put my life in danger by speeding up so I don't pass you then I run you off the road. My car is a piece of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif so I have nothing to lose and you are then liable for everything. I win.

Also randomly slamming on the brakes doesn't scare me and probably doesn't scare any tailgaters...just makes us angerier. Just don't do it to the rage-a-holic that would kill you.

That reminds me. There were these two guys each in their own pick up truck that wouldn't let me pass them up(4 lane road) and then when we finally came to a stop light one was going to turn left and the other was still in the right lane. He was going to wait for me to go and then turn left because I tailgated my way into that divide. I made him go straight and screw them all up. He was pretty pissed but so was I and he knew he deserved it.

There was this other time I did run someone off the road but that is for another post :D

RSL
08-16-2006, 05:00 AM
ed you animal

Miriel
08-16-2006, 05:04 AM

The #1 reason why I tailgate is usually because I have to go to the bathroom real bad. So if you slow down on purpose while I'm tailgaiting you because I need to get to a toilet, then I will go insane with rage. I'm like ed, I'll honk like there's no tommorrow, hollering profanity, and I'll eventually pass you up.

Reles
08-16-2006, 05:08 AM
I don't have horrible road rage, but I can get a little irritated sometimes. I don't like slow drivers, I'll complain, then just pass them. However, I do get very angry when someone puts my life in danger, from just being stupid.

Yamaneko
08-16-2006, 05:08 AM
Tailgating is retarded, but driving slow to piss other drivers off is perhaps moreso. And I agree with ed, I would probably run you off the road, Unne. You're too much of an old man to be driving anyway.

edczxcvbnm
08-16-2006, 05:53 AM
ed you animal

I have now offically UNLEASHED THE FURY!

Decessus
08-16-2006, 06:27 AM
The only way to describe my road rage is in a quote.

"IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY DRIVING, GET OFF THE F***ING SIDEWALK!!!"

Dr Unne
08-16-2006, 10:56 PM
ed, your trolling never used to be this obviously over-the-top stupid. *ignore*

Interestingly, all the tailgating and swearing in the world does not make anyone go faster. It certainly doesn't make me go faster. And if you rear-end someone while tailgating, I'm pretty sure you're liable. You're supposed to leave four seconds of time between yourself and the person in front of you, because it takes a person about four seconds reaction time to slam on the breaks and be able to stop in time without slamming into the back of the person in front of you.

Tailgating is retarded, but driving slow to piss other drivers off is perhaps moreso.

Contrary to popular thought, the speed limit is actually an UPPER limit on your car's speed, not lower. Driving slow is legal and safe. Driving fast and tailgating is neither.

Other people's impatience is none of my business. People with serious personality flaws (impatience, self-centeredness, carelessness, etc.) deserve to suffer.

The #1 reason why I tailgate is usually because I have to go to the bathroom real bad. So if you slow down on purpose while I'm tailgaiting you because I need to get to a toilet, then I will go insane with rage. I'm like ed, I'll honk like there's no tommorrow, hollering profanity, and I'll eventually pass you up.

Pull over somewhere. Rather than risk your life and the life of innocent people for entirely foolish reasons. The person you tailgate may be a mother with children in the car. Or someone just learning to drive.

The anonymity of driving is one of the things that makes this kind of crap so prevalent. How many people walk on people's heels down the sidewalk, screaming profanity at them when they don't walk faster? No one, because when you can look someone in the eye, you know enough not to be a complete ass. But stick someone in a car, and ass-mode is apparently engaged with ease.

Raistlin
08-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Brian: the speed limit is not some magical number that is safest to drive at. Driving slower than the speed of traffic is more dangerous than speeding up 5 or 10 mph. That doesn't make it legal, it just makes it safer - for you and everyone else. If you're willing to put yourself at risk to maintain the speed limit, that's your choice.

EDIT: And deliberately speeding up and slowing down quickly in front of a tailgater is the most unsafe of all.

edczxcvbnm
08-16-2006, 11:08 PM
ed, your trolling never used to be this obviously over-the-top stupid. *ignore*

Interestingly, all the tailgating and swearing in the world does not make anyone go faster. It certainly doesn't make me go faster. And if you rear-end someone while tailgating, I'm pretty sure you're liable. You're supposed to leave four seconds of time between yourself and the person in front of you, because it takes a person about four seconds reaction time to slam on the breaks and be able to stop in time without slamming into the back of the person in front of you.

I didn't say I would ram you off the road from the back but on a 2 lane road if I am going to pass you up and you decided to speed up from preventing this you are in fact the one liable. If someone is going to pass you then you are the one that must slow down. You must let them pass you up and it doesn't really matter how fast you or they are going in this sort of case.

You would like to think I made those stories up but the sad part is...I am not. Now go complain about your grandma driving somewhere else :love:

Dr Unne
08-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Driving slower than the speed of traffic is more dangerous than speeding up 5 or 10 mph.

Actually, the speed of traffic matches the speed of the slowest driver. You can't go through other cars. If there's a passing lane, people are free to use it.

What you're describing is called <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_mentality">herd mentality</a>.

Miriel
08-16-2006, 11:23 PM
I really really really really hate it when slooooow drivers get into the very left lane. It's like, if you're gonna go exactly the speed limit, get the hell over to the far right lane, dammit!

Grrr.

edczxcvbnm
08-17-2006, 04:16 AM
Driving slower than the speed of traffic is more dangerous than speeding up 5 or 10 mph.

Actually, the speed of traffic matches the speed of the slowest driver. You can't go through other cars. If there's a passing lane, people are free to use it.

What you're describing is called <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_mentality">herd mentality</a>.

He is obviously refering to highway driving and not local 2 lane street driving :rolleyes2

Nothing wrong with herd mentality. Crush the weaker ones(slow drivers) so that the flow of everything else may survive.

Raistlin
08-17-2006, 04:49 AM
Yeah, ed, it's obvious he only drives in the city. :p

Wait until he moves out west and drives on highways more, and then he'll come around.

oddler
08-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Contrary to popular thought, the speed limit is actually an UPPER limit on your car's speed, not lower.

That pretty much makes my day. Thanks for saying that.

If I was a police officer on patrol, you had better believe that I would pull over every single effer that was travelling faster than the speed limit.

This will most likely inspire some rage... Ha.

edczxcvbnm
08-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Yeah, ed, it's obvious he only drives in the city. :p

Wait until he moves out west and drives on highways more, and then he'll come around.

You just need to live in the suburbs of a huge city(I live in the south burbs of chicago). I have taken the following highways

I might have mislabeled a few of them as I refer to them by other street names that are more local :D Highway driving is a way of life when you live far enough away from the big city. Even most of the non main "highway roads" are still 4 lane 50 MPH roads out here and anything that is 4 lane 30 MPH is ignored by EVERYONE. We all go 40 on those because that BS :D