PDA

View Full Version : online friends

chii
08-15-2006, 11:36 PM
online freinds are they worth having im in need of help saving a friendship:( :cry:

*snip*

Do not attach unnecessary images. ~ Leeza

Madonna
08-15-2006, 11:39 PM
You need to save a friendship and to do so, you need to know the value of an online friendship?

Are you looking for an amount measured in currency? What country, if so?

licence
08-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Yea, online friends are worth having. They're people you can talk to and sometimes go to advice from and it's easier to talk over the internet than face to face at times about problems.

Rye
08-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Awww, chii. ;__; Good luck. And sure, they're worth having. :)

Dreddz
08-15-2006, 11:43 PM
I guess desperate times call for desperate measures...

Vikeve
08-15-2006, 11:44 PM
There friends online or not, keep them!

Fuzakeru
08-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Regardless if they are online or not - if they're friends then you shouldn't have to question their value or worth. Personally, I have more friends online than off and most the off ones that I hold dear I met online first.

fallen_angel9000
08-16-2006, 12:04 AM
friends online and offline should have the same value.... shouldn't they?

Yamaneko
08-16-2006, 12:14 AM
I don't really consider people that I've never met in person a friend, but that's just me.

licence
08-16-2006, 12:18 AM
I don't think online friends have the same value as offline ones. At least not to me. Offline friends are the ones who can have your back, who can visit you if you're in hospital and they are the ones who can be a part of your life always.

Online friends are more, just people that you can talk to and ask advice on delicate subjects.

Fuzakeru
08-16-2006, 12:22 AM
I used the share the same view to an extent back before I had the means the talk more freely with the people I looked forward to seeing online.

Even before I met Myles and moved in with him, or drove down to see this person, or had this other person fly overseas to visit with me - - I can say I probably discussed more embarassing and personal matters with people I was acquainted with online then my friends I saw at school or that I hung out with everyday.

Even though they couldn't reach out and touch me or could go to the movies with me they supported me through such emotional means that I couldn't begin to compare one over the other.

feona17
08-16-2006, 12:26 AM
I think it depends on the people and what sort of closeness they have.

Psychotic
08-16-2006, 12:33 AM
People say online friends aren't as good as offline friends, because they live much further away and you can't interact with them physically. I think that the distance is a great thing. Why? Look around you. Look at the disgusting EoFFers that inhabit this putrid place. I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with a pain in my side, and then look up to see someone like Psydekick eating my liver. (and believe you me, he'd do it. I've trained him)

Vikeve
08-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Both "types" of friends have strenghs and weaknesses.

offline friends can visit you and sometimes you just have more fun with them. But for some reason i never tell my offline friends my problems or how a i feel, they have no clue how much i struggle with stuff.

Online you can share your feelings easier, but sometimes you feel like somthings missing.

there both friends and both great.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
08-16-2006, 12:39 AM
When i was younger i use to say a lot of..."naughty" things on chat rooms and forums just for fun, if i sayd that to someone in the street i would probably get the hell bitten out of me...

But now iīm older and more mature and would never endure such type of behaviour, although itīs nice to think that even if i really upset someone they canīt really come after me and kill me. So i suppose offline friends end up being more important or at least more "realistic"..i donīt know if thatīs the right word.

Miriel
08-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Online friends and offline friends shouldn't have the same value because friends in general don't have the same value. I value my friends from High School more than the ones from College. I value my best friends more than I value my casual friends. I value my best friend of 15 years more than I value someone I've only been friends with for 5 years. I hardly believe that there are people out there who view all their friends in the exact same light.

Venom
08-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Well people online are people nonetheless.

Yamaneko
08-16-2006, 12:59 AM
A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.

Roto13
08-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Coincidentally, I just finished spending the entire weekend with a friend I hadn't met in the real world before Saturday. I can honestly say I had more fun than I'd ever had in my entire life. This friend and I have become very, very close, but much of that happened over this weekend. I think real life friends are of a greater value than online friends. I believe there is a certain level of closeness that can only come from meeting face-to-face. That's not to say that online friends are worthless.

I Took the Red Pill
08-16-2006, 01:07 AM
I definitely don't hold them at the same value. Offline friends you can actually interact with in a non-virtual way, and that's important for bonding. Online friends can be cool, but I hold most of my offline friends closer.

Christmas
08-16-2006, 01:14 AM
I have an ONLINE best friend but we were arch enemies when we are OFFLINE. :(

Shiny
08-16-2006, 02:16 AM
I have an OFFLINE best friend but we are arch ENEMIES ONLINE. The sad thing is it's true.:( And I really think enemies should be in caps. I think online friends are definatly worth having if you feel a connection with them. You never know, you might end up meeting eachother one day and becoming really good friends offline.

Vyk
08-16-2006, 03:27 AM
I've gotten a lot more personal with people online than off. But that's just my experiences. Thus I've gotten a much deeper spiritual and emotional attachment to certain people online than the ones I met offline could even compare to. Offline gets pretty superficial. Online can too, but not the people I got close to. You can value what you want, but don't dismiss either. I have a social life with friends I hang out with almost every day. I have a best friend. But he, nor any of them, compare to my best online friend. I feel way more comfortable opening up to her about things. And it's not because I type it. Phone's just as easy. But I'm sure I would have connected with her just the same if we lived near each other. The internet is just an outlet for meeting people, just like any other way to meet people. A friend is a friend. And its a valuable thing. Online or off.

Fuego
08-16-2006, 03:45 AM
I segregate my 'online friends' into where i met them . If i meet someone from a certain cite or forum ... i know that i need to be more leery .
There are some CRAZY Mo-Fo'z online !
Plus i like meeting people who haven't been scopeing me out cause i am 'young and fresh' ... BTW that is a total turn off !!!
(Ewwwwww...) :shudder:

Lost Number
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Online friends are definitly worth it! All my best and closest friends are online. Offline, im very isolated, so I have only online people to talk to.

Xander
08-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Having someone to talk to and share feelings and interests with can always be nice, whether it's online or offline. So while I would admit I don't necessarily "know" people online very well, if we talk to each other, and that talking makes me happy, I would never say "I can't call you a friend". These days I talk online to a mix of real life friends who I don't see much, people I have met and a couple of people I've never met. Friends in general are good to have.

Vincent Valentine
08-16-2006, 02:52 PM
A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.
A stranger is something you've never interacted with. Once you've interacted with them (on any small level) they stop being a stranger. it doesn't matter if you've physically met them in person, or not.

To answer the question, sure, internet friends are worth having... just so long as they don't end up being the only friends you have.

Old Manus
08-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't think I could act the same way as I do with online friends as I do with offline.

Yavanna
08-16-2006, 07:34 PM
I never really think about it much but I value the real ones more. If it came down to the two groups it would be the real ones. They're the ones you really know. It doesn't matter long you talk to someone online. You can be pretty sure but you'll still never know who they really are. If they're who they say they are, if you can really trust them. I know people can lie to you in real life too but there are so many more things you can lie about online and being online, being just a screenname and text to everyone else just makes it easier. Theres no way to tell if someone is lying online unless you hunt them down and see for yourself. And considering some things thats not always a good idea.

Its still fun to get on and talk to people and make friends online, and there are thing you can talk about easier when your just typing, but to get close to anyone like you would in real life you have to put alot of trust in it. And you have to be carefull how much trust you put in it.

~SapphireStar~
08-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Having both online and offline friends is super. I feel closer to some people here then i do in real life, seriously!

Sylvie
08-27-2006, 07:13 PM
My online friends hold more in common with me, but I still value my offline ones more.