PDA

View Full Version : Stealing with Locke

Xurts
08-16-2006, 04:17 AM
I just started a new FFVI game, and I have a problem. Locke is only stealing Tonics. I just left the cave that leads to South Figaro. The Rhinotaurs around the Overworld there are supposed to drop Mythril Claws, but I have only been getting Tonics from them. I've stolen from them about 4 or 5 times. My guide says that they drop Mythril Claws, plus I remember getting them in my last save file. Locke is at level 9. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

It's not just the Rhinotaurs, either. Every enemy that I have stolen from (except for Marshal) has given me Tonics. I already have 57 Tonics. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that in my last file.

Lilliputian Hitcher
08-16-2006, 04:19 AM
Well, if they 'drop' Mythril Claws you won't get them from stealing anyway.

EDIT: After checking a guide it looks like Mythril Claws are a rare steal. About the only thing you can do is keep at it.

Xurts
08-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Well, if they 'drop' Mythril Claws you won't get them from stealing anyway.
I'm supposed to be able to steal them. I just win Potions from them.

Avarice-ness
08-16-2006, 04:45 AM
Yeah but it's really rare, which means, if you came back to that area when you had the airship or something, your chances will go up because you'll have a better skill at it.

If it's rare then basically you're going to have to steal 30 or 40 times to get the chance to get one. But if your luck is higher than you can steal things easier, but that requires more leveling up. :)

Xurts
08-16-2006, 05:01 AM
If it's rare then basically you're going to have to steal 30 or 40 times to get the chance to get one. But if your luck is higher than you can steal things easier, but that requires more leveling up. :)
Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't think I had any trouble getting one the last time I played though.

Avarice-ness
08-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Yeah, well it's a rare thing, I'm not entirely sure so don't hold me by my word, But I think it's based off the number of battles, it's not specifically for that one monster, Battle.. 105 and battle 198 may have a rare item so if you try to steal from the monsters in the 105th battle and the 198th battle the chances of getting a rare item are good because it's a random type thing. Just keep trying you'll get it. :)

Xurts
08-16-2006, 06:09 AM
Yeah, well it's a rare thing, I'm not entirely sure so don't hold me by my word, But I think it's based off the number of battles, it's not specifically for that one monster, Battle.. 105 and battle 198 may have a rare item so if you try to steal from the monsters in the 105th battle and the 198th battle the chances of getting a rare item are good because it's a random type thing. Just keep trying you'll get it. :)
I've never heard of anything like that. Interesting. I'll keep trying though, thanks for the help.

Zeromus_X
08-16-2006, 06:16 AM
What is the Mythril Claw for, though? Can't you find/buy one soon anyway? :cat:

Xurts
08-16-2006, 07:37 AM
What is the Mythril Claw for, though? Can't you find/buy one soon anyway? :cat:
It's a weapon for Sabin. I'm sure I can buy it later but I like getting things as soon as they become available. :D

Avarice-ness
08-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Do you normally get weapons when the characters not even in your party yet with steals?

Xurts
08-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Do you normally get weapons when the characters not even in your party yet with steals?
No. It still bugs me that I can't get it though.

Flying Mullet
08-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Locke can't steal much at the beginning of the game. Most enemies have two items that can be stolen, the normal and the rare, just like stated above. I know that I like to try and steal Bandanas from the Brawlers in Mt. Kolts, but they are rare to steal and often after 50 attempts I have nothing to show for it. Another example of a rare steal is a Genji Glove from the Dragons on the Floating Continent. I usually steal Potions from them, but occasionaly I manage to steal a Genji Glove from one of them. Now that's happy days! :yellowkin

Xurts
08-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Locke can't steal much at the beginning of the game. Most enemies have two items that can be stolen, the normal and the rare, just like stated above. I know that I like to try and steal Bandanas from the Brawlers in Mt. Kolts, but they are rare to steal and often after 50 attempts I have nothing to show for it. Another example of a rare steal is a Genji Glove from the Dragons on the Floating Continent. I usually steal Potions from them, but occasionaly I manage to steal a Genji Glove from one of them. Now that's happy days! :yellowkin
Yeah, that sounds right. I leveled Locke up to 10 and he steals better things now. I managed to get a Mythril Claw and 2 Bandanas. It took a while though, I but got them.

abrojtm
08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
It's all about probability. Locke's Luck and Speed (?) are also factored in.

KoShiatar
08-17-2006, 12:44 AM
DROPPED items are not the same as STOLEN items.
Think about Brachiosaurs for instance. You can steal Ribbons from them, and as long as you use Control on them with Relm, it's a sure steal because you can just take as many turns as you want to do it. But they DROP very, very rare Three Stars, also known as Economizers, and there is no way to steal them from them - you just have to keep on killing and killing until one drops. So if the guide says the item is dropped, there is no point trying to steal it because it's not the same thing.

Xurts
08-17-2006, 08:16 AM
DROPPED items are not the same as STOLEN items.
Think about Brachiosaurs for instance. You can steal Ribbons from them, and as long as you use Control on them with Relm, it's a sure steal because you can just take as many turns as you want to do it. But they DROP very, very rare Three Stars, also known as Economizers, and there is no way to steal them from them - you just have to keep on killing and killing until one drops. So if the guide says the item is dropped, there is no point trying to steal it because it's not the same thing.
I know. I just used the wrong word there. sorry.

bipper
08-23-2006, 04:19 AM
When ever I use locke he just steals my heart :cry: