PDA

View Full Version : Plus/Same Wall/Same

Nominus Experse
08-16-2006, 09:53 AM
I can (for the most part) understand how Same works; however, I have issues in comprehending what exactly causes Plus to appear. Another thing that causes me some headache is trying to understand what Same Wall exactly means.

I feel that I am missing something important, and the tutorial in the actual game itself didn't do much in the ways of enlightening me on these rules.

I can fully understand everything else (Element, etc), but that of the other rules, Plus in particular, causes my brain to simply collapse. I feel that it should be apparent, but try as I might, the answer eludes me.

So my question/plea is this:

Would anyone mind explaining these rules to me, and/or offering certain strategies in using/abusing/defending these rules.

Many thanks in advance.

FTF
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm terrible at cards... so I can't help you with strategy, but:

- Same Wall: It's essentially the same as 'Same', the only difference is that the walls count as well. They're assumed to have an 'A', or 10 value.

- Plus: This might be a bit tough to explain, uhm...

-------------... -------------
|-----5-----|...|-----2-----|
|-----------|...|-----------|
|---Creep---|...|Cockatrice-|
|2---------2|.+|6---------1|
|----Card---|...|---Card----|
|-----5-----|...|-----2-----|
-------------...-------------
........+
-------------
|-----3-----| Note: Sorry for the
|-----------| terrible drawings..
|-----------|
|-Behemoth-|
|7---------6|
|----Card---|
|-----------|
|-----------|
|-----------|
|-----5-----|
-------------

If the creep card was just played in this case, it would flip both the behemoth and the cockatrice card because 5(creep) + 3(behemoth) = 2(creep) + 6(cockatrice).

rubah
08-16-2006, 02:36 PM
I've never really gotten the hang of same-wall :p

Plus is pretty simple. You just take the two sets of numbers that match when you put a card down, and if they both add up to the same thing, then it's plus. Like if you have an 8 on top and a 5 to the side and you play a card with a 5 on top and an 8 to the side. If you would've done a card with 8 on top and 5 to the side, it would've been plus.

Anyways, plus adds a value of one to all the numbers on the card you played, so if on the other side, it was a four touching a four, it would now be a five, and would flip the card with the other four. And then if that card could flip any with its base numbers (I don't think you add any in a combo at least) it will do that. You can pretty much turn over the entire board to your favor with plus combos

farplaner
08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Just remember that "same/same wall" and "plus" values are not effected by "elemental" changes. So if a card lands on the wrong element and gets a -1, it's listed numbers still determine it's value where same, etc. are concerned.

As far as strategy, I don't play to take advantage of these rules. I just collect all of the GF and character cards when I can, and rely on their big numbers. If you have 9's and A's on open squares, your opponent (usually) can't take advantage of same. Plus is a little trickier, though.

My best advice is abolish rules where you can, and make sure you get rid of/ refine all the level 7 and lower cards when you can't abolish random (like when playing Ellone at the space station)...or whoever it is that uses every rule....

HolyMackeral
08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Anyways, plus adds a value of one to all the numbers on the card you played, so if on the other side, it was a four touching a four, it would now be a five, and would flip the card with the other four. And then if that card could flip any with its base numbers (I don't think you add any in a combo at least) it will do that. You can pretty much turn over the entire board to your favor with plus combos
Sorry but that is straight up wrong.

When you flip a card using plus it initiates a combo and flips over any adjoining cards as if it were just played there. There is no alteration to the values.

I cant draw it any clearer than FTF, basically 5+3=8 and 6+2-8 so you flip em both.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-25-2006, 12:40 AM
The numbers are arranged like so
----A----
B-------C
----D----

Plus works in the same way as same only that you only turn cards over when the totals equal. For example if I placed a card underneath another, my (A) would touch the other card's (D). If my card was also to the right of another card, my (B) would touch it's (C). If A+D = B+C then I would flip both cards over. The combo rule is just a bonus I would get. Any new card I would flip over would flip a touching card if it's value is larger than the other cards touching value. You can see this by the way the cards get flipped in a combo.

Same Wall is something I still don't get

Nominus Experse
08-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Many thanks for all of you that have given an explanation. I figured it was something of this sort, but I was still somewhat in the dark.

It seems that no one can figure out what the hell Same Wall is really, or can't really find a reasonable way in explaining it.

Oh well, all the same, the advice and explanations have been very helpful. Many thanks!

Xurts
08-25-2006, 04:21 AM
It seems that no one can figure out what the hell Same Wall is really, or can't really find a reasonable way in explaining it.

- Same Wall: It's essentially the same as 'Same', the only difference is that the walls count as well. They're assumed to have an 'A', or 10 value.

Plus and Random are the worst and most annoying rules. I usually abolish every rule in the world except for Same and Open, since those are the only good ones. It's easier to abolish them than it is to figure out playing strategies.

Nominus Experse
08-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Err, thanks. I loathe it when I miss things that i know I once read... God, that's the first post. If stupidity were rightfully painful, I would be in a world of pain right now.

Well, I know of methods to have the rules change to what you the player want to play with, but then that takes away a part of the game that I kind of find myself enjoying - even if it is frustrating at times. Really, at this point, I'm not doing it to really get cards anymore, but to simply play cards.

farplaner
08-25-2006, 09:06 AM
----A----
B-------C
----D----

Plus works in the same way as same only that you only turn cards over when the totals equal. For example if I placed a card underneath another, my (A) would touch the other card's (D). If my card was also to the right of another card, my (B) would touch it's (C). If A+D = B+C then I would flip both cards over. The combo rule is just a bonus I would get. Any new card I would flip over would flip a touching card if it's value is larger than the other cards touching value. You can see this by the way the cards get flipped in a combo.

...No offense, but that doesn't make sense. The plus rule uses any two sides of one card as they correspond to one side each of two other cards. Using your model:

................----A----
................B---1---C
................----D----

----A---- ----A----
B---2---C B---3---C
----D---- ----D----

D1 + A3 must equal C2 + B3

Jowy
08-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Walls have an A value. So playing Rinoa against a wall for example, and then having the 4 or 2 match up with another 4 or 2 would cause the Same effect, and start a combo if applicable.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-25-2006, 01:46 PM
----A----
B-------C
----D----

...No offense, but that doesn't make sense. The plus rule uses any two sides of one card as they correspond to one side each of two other cards. Using your model:

................----A----
................B---1---C
................----D----

----A---- ----A----
B---2---C B---3---C
----D---- ----D----

D1 + A3 must equal C2 + B3

Sorry about that. It made plain good sense to me when I was writing it up. I used a colour code. My card was white, and the touching cards were yellow and cyan. So D1+A3=C2+B3 (what you stated) pretty much equals A+D=B+C (what I stated)

Jessweeee♪
08-25-2006, 11:24 PM
I rely on character and GF cards to play :P
A good strategy (unless you have the Random Rule in there) is to pick a bunch of those cards and put them where your enemy can not reach them. And then just flip them over in the process.

Be sure not to lose/refine your Ifrit card if you want a Rinoa card. You have to give it to Caraway before he plays it in his hand.