PDA

View Full Version : Attack Power / Magic Power

Nominus Experse
08-16-2006, 10:37 AM
What do you find the most useful, magical or physical oriented attacks?

What I mean by this is do you prefer using magic (Black, Blue, Summon, etc) compared to the much more physical oriented attacks and skills (Aim, Hunt, Technique, etc)?

Granted, there are many time to where the two overlap, but there are some definate qualities that speak of the A-Ability being considered magical or physical in nature.

Perhaps a better method of stating my question would be to ask if you find yourself using/abusing your Magic Power stat more or your Attack Power more?

I am simply curious due to the fact that I find myself using a wide variety of these, commonly finding myself abusing any of the Corner, Sniper, Summon, Blue Magic, Red Magic, Hunt, and/or Chivalry. Really, that doesn't define anything, and just leads me to think that I use a mixture of basing my strategies on using both Magic Power and Attack Power in tandem. I think I rely more on brute Attack Power when i am playing a lazy mission or game, but then opt to increase the speed and strategy of a fight by incorporating Magic in there also.

I just wondered if anyone primarily used Attack Power oriented abilities instead of Magic Power oriented ones, or visa versa.

So, what do you commonly do or any thoughts on what may be the better?

NOTE - Let us exclude Ultima in this discussion.

Monster Hunt
08-16-2006, 12:09 PM
I like both equally... if i'm fighting the Blue Geniuses then it's physical and if it's the Yellow Powerz then it's my magical people...

I always think that you should keep a mixture though... otherwise you'd have a very hard time some point in the game... that's why I like Paladins, Assassins, Blue Mage and such.

But I suppose in the end I probably have more physical people- You gotta love ninjas, hunters, Gladiators, Dragoons, Morphers, Gunners and such...

boys from the dwarf
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
i tend to have more physical fighters than magical. i often have 4 fighters and two spellcasters. one spellcaster for healing and the other for offensive magic. i usually find the spellcasters more useful though. high level spells can do over 100 damage to multiple targets and can dramtically weaken loads of targets which can then be easily k.oed by a fighters attack. ill vote for a combination of the two because without my mages my fighters wouldnt be doing too good. also haste is a very useful spell.

sage/alchemist is one of the best combinations on the game because they have the death spell as well as other high level spells which can match the power of a black mage. and raise is great because it revives everyone in the targetting area as well as restoring large amounts of HP to k.oed and conscious units.

and for physical. gladiator/dragoon is possibly the best. long range attacks as well as insane power and bonecrusher with a spear and 2 space range is just plain powerful. if i had a party of 3 gladiator/dragoons. 2 sage/alchemist and a whitemage/time mage (for healing before the sages learn raise.) i would storm through the game unopposed by nearly any enemy.

tailz
08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
a mixture is best but its sometimes fun to just use one of em and forbid yourself the other (if the law doesnt already does that)

Skyblade
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
I usually use Rockseal and Last Breath, which don't rely on either. Rockseal looks so cool...

Western Paladin
08-17-2006, 02:21 AM
if we are discounting Ultima, then i follow the attack path with a gladiator/templar and a dragoon/defender. They kill stuff really fast and good.

Nominus Experse
08-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Skyblade, you seem to play the game quite similiar to how I play it:

A brutal strategy abusing speed and instant death, high, hard hitting magic (Summon/Blue/etc), and if swift kills are not an immediate option, the crippling of the enemy is tantamount to your strategy through various skills and magics.

I don't know if that's exactly how you go about it, but from what I gather, you and I both find ourselves abusing the greatness found in Assassins.

Plus, long rabbit ears are sexy.

Western Paladin
08-17-2006, 11:28 PM
yeah, you guys like the assassins. I got bored of my four. one is part sniper, one is part fencer, one is part elementalist, and one is part white-mage. they are a kill-squad, but I have a better one. It involves huge melee damage from my aforementioned Templar/Gladiator, big damage and a terminator-effect* from my Dragoon/Defender, An extreme support and still high-damage role from my Juggler/Animist or Juggler/Thief (depends on my mood), and my Hunter/Blue Mage is cleanup for anything that the others leave standing. I have my Assassin/Sniper ready if it is a 6-man map, but I prefer to take only a few people so the field isn't cluttered with people and bodies.

*terminator effect: he never dies. Between Aura and Dragonheart, he cannot be killed, and he's immune to most status effects, so he just rolls over the opponents like a T-series robot would if you handed it a greadsword or a huge spear.

auhin
08-18-2006, 02:36 AM
I like a good mix. Uber Black Mage Rickman with uber Time/White Mage Sharu, mixed with my Dragoon Pablo and Marche the Paladin.

Western Paladin
08-18-2006, 04:31 AM
I gave up on Marche when he got to lv 47. Not a cool enough character for me to use. I like the people who actually look like they are supposed to.

Yuffie514
08-19-2006, 07:53 AM
i'd rather have both. i can't have a battle without mages, or a battle without melee units. sometimes i prefer magic, since i find their usefulness in that they can hit multiple enemies without having to take multiple steps. well, the Feather Boots seem to have balanced the two out again...

ScottNUMBERS
08-19-2006, 04:51 PM
whether I use Magic or Physical power is dependant upon my foes.

Missions...

Gilbert:
Paladin/Blue Mage
Double Sword (Nagrarok, Sequence)
Peytral
Ninja Tabi

I just send him on his own. If the enemy is any sort of a threat (Which isn't very often at all) I use Angel Whisper and Mighty Guard, if not I mindlessly attack everything until I win.

Vs. Undead...

Eldena:
Red Mage/Summoner

There is no better way to defeat undead than Doublecast Phoenix.

Vs. a friend in two player battles...

Alot like me, my friends love to play FFTA, we set up Tournements from time to time, In this situation I use a Viera Red Mage/White Mage. For player Vs player duals Red Mage/White Mage cannot be beaten if used correctly. If anyone can come up with a scenario where my Red Mage/White Mage can be beaten by another class I'll be very impressed.

Because of the Red mage/White Mage combination Physical power can never be as good as magic, but I love the ol' Double Sword Paladin that I find myself using way more often.

Conclusion
Useful: Magic
Favorate: Physical

Western Paladin
08-19-2006, 07:53 PM
prepare to be impressed. :D :D :D Once you are sufficiently prepared, look over a few threads at the "3 best units" thread. Check out Lunais. Then, we set the conditions to the fight. You can start 20 panels away, on a flat field with no terrain in the way, with no height, and nothing but these two units. 20 panels away just to give you time to cast auto-raise on yourself and to run to the nearest corner, where you will be summarily beaten and killed in a painful way.:D :D :D You might manage to hurt him, but even if I can't make it totally to you, I have a 4 -panel range area attack that damages MP, which will let me get some real damage on you, since so long as you have MP I am guessing that you will not go down... but then again, 999 damage can really get you to take a nap...

tailz
08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
iirc the redwhite mage poseses auto life take that in acount and a red mage is very anoying in one on one battle use failed to take his character in your battle. i have read your character but unles it is imume to sleep your fucked

first turn

ofensive magic
sleep

second turn

ofensive magic
sleep

etc. etc.

youl be beaten in no time.

although your character is good i admit but against a redmage/whitemage combo i dont see him winning.

i think i have a few more powerfull combinations against your char but cant be bothered to look it up now, anime awaits :D

Fireblade13
08-19-2006, 10:21 PM
More attack but i need my mages for area attacks and healing. While just tanking with my melee.

Western Paladin
08-20-2006, 05:19 AM
well put tailz, but I do believe that sleep is at best a 50% chance coming from the front. Also, you are taking into account his special abilites while ignoring mine. Templars can cast Astra, which means that he'll have to hit me twice with sleep, and both have to work, and I can just keep casting astra on myself until I can get into melee range. BTW as you know melee range for him is 8 panels, which I really, really like.

Oh, and someone else picked just flat-out attack power as opposed to a balance. GOOD JOB, buddy!

Edit: I forgot that templars can also cast silence... :D:D:D

Skyblade
08-20-2006, 07:12 PM
well put tailz, but I do believe that sleep is at best a 50% chance coming from the front. Also, you are taking into account his special abilites while ignoring mine. Templars can cast Astra, which means that he'll have to hit me twice with sleep, and both have to work, and I can just keep casting astra on myself until I can get into melee range. BTW as you know melee range for him is 8 panels, which I really, really like.

Oh, and someone else picked just flat-out attack power as opposed to a balance. GOOD JOB, buddy!

Edit: I forgot that templars can also cast silence... :D:D:D

Once again, people underestimate the awesome power of Concentrate. With it, Sleep has a 70% success chance from the front, an 80% success chance from the side, and a 90% success chance from the back.

ScottNUMBERS
08-20-2006, 07:47 PM
iirc the redwhite mage poseses auto life take that in acount and a red mage is very anoying in one on one battle use failed to take his character in your battle. i have read your character but unles it is imume to sleep your smurfed

first turn

ofensive magic
sleep

second turn

ofensive magic
sleep

etc. etc.

youl be beaten in no time.

although your character is good i admit but against a redmage/whitemage combo i dont see him winning.

i think i have a few more powerfull combinations against your char but cant be bothered to look it up now, anime awaits :D
Oh come on do you really think I'd be impressed that easily? There are three flaws in this plan.

1, Red Mage White Mage can act quicker than any other race that can use sleep.

2, Red Mage can Doublecast Sleep increasing the success rate significantly.

These two points make it pretty damn hard to land Sleep on a Red Mage before the Red Mage can do it to you.

And the third...

3, Ribbon. You cannot land Sleep on me - or any other staus for that matter.

tailz
08-20-2006, 07:50 PM
uhm i think you missed i point i was actually backing you up, could be you qouted wrong.

and yes ribon also helps

oh and sky is also right about concentrate

captain_murphy
08-20-2006, 07:58 PM
combining turbo mp and last breath on your assassin is an excellent way for a sure kill.

Western Paladin
08-20-2006, 11:49 PM
ok concentrate is useful. I realy like concentrate. I admit, there would be a hell of a hard time getting over to the damn mage to kill it, but if I really have to I will put on a fortune ring and remove my angel ring. no more sleep. sleep is non-existant.

Markus. D
08-21-2006, 08:36 AM
I reckon this should be. Magical, Physical AND Ranged.

I suppose I like Nighthawk and any other Fencer moves :]!

ScottNUMBERS
08-21-2006, 06:01 PM
uhm i think you missed i point i was actually backing you up, could be you qouted wrong.

and yes ribon also helps

oh and sky is also right about concentrate
Oh yeah I see now, sorry! :p

Monster Hunt
08-22-2006, 07:38 AM
I love concentrate... stock up on target bows and longbarrels all the time!

Concentrate
Strikeback
Doublesword

pwnage for humans

tailz
08-22-2006, 10:10 AM
to bad you cant use all three of em together huh :D

Skyblade
08-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Double Sword was nerfed from the way it worked in FFT. In FFT, it would allow you to hit twice on abilities like Armor Break and such, not just on your regular attacks and combos. If they'd kept that ability, it would have been a truly amazing attack (Double Sword + Ultima!), but, the way it is, I still think it is only second best, and that Concentrate wins the Best Support Ability prize.