PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

Del Murder
08-17-2006, 04:59 AM
Any one have fishing tips on how to start out? Of all the crafts this seems like the only one I would be interested in doing. All the guides I've read on it talk mostly about higher level stuff, but I'll probably never get that far. This is just for something to do when I'm waiting for a party or don't feel like battling.

Basically what I want are good places to fish and good equipment to use for the lower levels.

Rostum
08-17-2006, 05:09 AM
I don't know that much about fishing, I know there are some good websites out there. I just wanted to post to say that I think perhaps cooking would be another good craft to have along side it, not sure, but I think so. (You can take fishing up to 100, as well as any of the other main crafts)

Markus. D
08-17-2006, 06:29 AM
I dont know much either.

but I hate it, hate hate hate it.

I dont get how others I observe can fish successssfully all the time. its one of the only things that frustrates me in this game.

Del Murder
08-17-2006, 07:03 AM
To catch the fish you have to drain its health. To drain its health you hit the arrow key in the opposite direction of the way your rod is being pulled. Then when it is drained you push Enter. At least that much I know. That's the part that makes it more fun than the other crafts.

Rostum
08-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Even though I haven't done much fishing at all, it's quite good to just sit there catching some fish and chatting with your linkshell and friends. So it's always a nice break from adventuring. :)

ScottNUMBERS
08-17-2006, 10:35 AM
I started out in San d'Oria catching Moat Carp. Not very beneficial for Fishing Skill-ups but if you want to just Fish to relax and reel in some gil too, Moat Carps are a good choice.

Equipment for these is very cheap too;
Willow Rod: Less than 200G in San d'Oria
Little Worm: 4 Gil each

That's all you need to catch Moat Carp. On our server, a stack sells for 8,000G, with costs to catch a stack at potentially less than 300G you're certain to make a profit. The only thing you need is patience, but if you enjoy fishing it's a win-win situation.

I feel like fishing now.

Yeargdribble
08-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Something to understand about fishing is that you can't really get past level 50ish without a LuShang's Rod. At this point you'll have trouble landing fish in the right size range for any rod you are using which will cause you to either lose your catch because it's too small or cause your rod to snap because it's too big.

I'm sure you know about the LuShang's quest in Sandy. There are some guides for fishing nothing but carp while leveling to 50 so that by the time you get there you will have a LuShang's Rod.

I can give you some advice, but I need to know more of what you want. Do you want super fast skill ups? Do you want high profit all the way? Do you want to work on your LuShang's while leveling up?

Either way I can say this which is pretty much the same regardless.

1-11
Use something like a Hume Rod and go to Knight Well in West Ronfaure. Use little worms. You will catch Moats and Crayfish. When you hit 7 switch to Insect Balls and go from 7-11. This will cause you to only target Moats.

Del Murder
08-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Just looking for some tips so that I'm not wasting my time out there. I only fish for a change of pace and not a means to some end. Your posts have been helpful, thanks.

Yeargdribble
08-18-2006, 05:11 AM
As a general rule fishing works like a Venn Diagram.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/Yeargdribble/Veen.jpg

Also, fishing gear is almost a waste of gil. Before the fishing system got changed it was useful. Now it only increases the time you have to reel something in. If you are fishing for fun on the side you will not be fishing anything that is regularly difficult to land so the extra time it affords you will be pointless. Also, not getting it will save you that much more inventory space.

Wooden rods will wear down the fish faster but are more prone to break. Synthetic rods wear them down slower but are generally more sturdy. In any relaxing fishing spot it won't matter which you use. However, it would be a good idea to use a decent rod of either type so you don't have to worry about frequent breaks. Aside from rarely fished up items there is very little in lower areas that will break synthetic rods like Halcyon so it might be more worth the initial investment to get one.

dodhungry
08-21-2006, 03:38 AM
I hate fishing with a passion. The ONLY reason I would want to do it is because of a quest or two that requires fishing >.<