Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
Charon
Xena(to be renamed later)

Not only this but now they are giving categories for planets

Pluto, Charon and Xena are to be called Pluton planets. Ceres would be a dwarf planet.

What do you make of this stuffs?

Rye
08-16-2006, 09:10 PM
It ruins My Very Efficient Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas. :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Pluto must be so proud. Its moon is the only one to ever grow up to become its own planet.

edczxcvbnm
08-16-2006, 09:14 PM
My
Very
Efficent
Mother
Can
Just
Serve
Us
Nine
Properly
Canned
Xylophones(I don't know)

EDIT: Yeah...pluto must be pround of the little squirt. All grown up and on it's own now. Brings a tear to my eye ;_;

Doomie
08-16-2006, 09:16 PM
I remember when my moon, Ur, joined the Solar System. Oh what a proud day it was for the Anus family! :bigsmile:

misscleo
08-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Pluto must be so proud. Its moon is the only one to ever grow up to become its own planet.

:aimhappy: :-D :rock:&:roll:

Ah, true true!

Zeldy
08-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Im really not bothered xD
But I think its quite sad that I listen to a band named after one of the plants, Charon ;__; Its also wierd that they just came on Winamp.

Tasura
08-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Haha, this will screw over all the astronomy books.

KentaRawr!
08-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Am I still a Libra? :confused:

Tasura
08-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Am I still a Libra? :confused:

The planets changed, not the months =P

feona17
08-16-2006, 10:16 PM
That's pretty cool actually. I've always had somewhat of an interest in astronomy. I really like the names Charon and Ceres.

edczxcvbnm
08-16-2006, 10:28 PM
For the record...Ceres WAS a planet back in the 1800s. It has just been...reactivated.

Psychotic
08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
It'll be a Siberian winter in Hell before I recognise Neptune.

Flying Mullet
08-16-2006, 10:54 PM
It ruins My Very Efficient Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas. :(
Amen.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
It'll be a Siberian winter in Hell before I recognise Neptune.Better a <a href="http://www.lastupload.com/files/23/Zutons%20-%20Zuton%20Fever.mp3">Zuton</a> than a Pluton.

Madame Adequate
08-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Ceres CLEARLY doesn't qualify.

Also.

I want to know where the line is drawn between binary planets, and planet/moons.

Edit: MILF went and learned his spacey, so now he retracts those comments. Ceres DOES qualify, and a binary planet system occurs when the barycenter is outside the masses of both objects.

Which I actually knew anyway, but... I... my brain entirely failed. =(

Captain Maxx Power
08-17-2006, 12:09 AM
My Very Easy Method Can Just Speed Up Naming Planets, Can Xena's?

There, I just saved a billion young minds. Go me.

oddler
08-17-2006, 12:10 AM
What's a planet?

No, seriously.

Captain Maxx Power
08-17-2006, 12:20 AM
What's a planet?

No, seriously.

A planet is a celestial body (i.e. something that orbits a sun), that is of sufficient mass to produce a near spherical shape. So an asteroid for example, like those found on the asteroid belt of our solar system, are not planets because they are very small and thusly do not produce enough gravity to create a spherical shape. This is just the current system that has actually caused these changes.

Hambone
08-17-2006, 01:08 AM
I like Charon! :D

escobert
08-17-2006, 01:10 AM
I DON'T CARE! :D

rubah
08-17-2006, 01:12 AM
It's not official yet.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1899058.cms

Resha
08-17-2006, 01:56 AM
They're naming a planet after a warrior princess? Woag. Anyways, my acronym-making days are officially over as of now. I ain't ever gettin' one with 'x'. :mad2:

Tasura
08-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Xenophobe starts with X =D?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2006, 02:21 AM
"Xena" is just a nickname that's being used as a placeholder until they give it a proper name from Greco-Roman mythology.

Arrianna
08-17-2006, 02:39 AM
subject to ratification by a vote of IAU members on August 24*Holds breath*

Whoohoo!!! Just three more to go! lol

NorthernChaosGod
08-17-2006, 02:45 AM
Man, that's dumb. :(

Madame Adequate
08-17-2006, 02:47 AM
Man, that's dumb. :(

How so?

Blitz Ace
08-17-2006, 02:57 AM
what a stupid move... the only reason they are trying to change the definition of a planet, to include these small, cold, uninteresting masses is so that they can remove the guilt of wrongfully classifying pluto as a planet in the first place!!!

Really, Pluto is only just 800 kilometres wide, and a lot smaller than was first thought when they classified it as a planet... "Xena" or 2003 UB 313 as it was first named, is definitely larger than Pluto, as are at least 50 or so other celestial bodies (including Charon and Ceres - which is located in the asteroid belt between jupiter and mars) already discovered within our solar system, 12 of which are also being considered for "Planet" status.

Id hate to see the rhyme for remembering the names of planets reach a full paragraph in length... they should just remove Pluto from the definition of planet, and stick with the 8 planets we actually have.

Fuego
08-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Wow after reading that ... it became apparent how little i really care :P
Honestly ... i fail to see why it matters (?)
now if i became a planet .. that would be news >.<
but since i am not, Go Xena Go !!!!

edczxcvbnm
08-17-2006, 03:44 AM
OOps. Subject to ratification later this month huh? Looks like I mis-read that but based on the new definition they will be ratified. I don't disagree with what they did. Now every thing will be called a planet but there will be different classes of planets. I kind of like the fact that they are better defining these things. With all the advancements we have made the definitions would need to be updated...or at least I think they would be.

Vyk
08-17-2006, 04:22 AM
True

What I don't get is when you have two stars together, they get one name and call it a binary star. So I don't understand why when you have two planets in partnership (pluto/charon) it wasn't called a binary planet

Madame Adequate
08-17-2006, 05:06 AM
True

What I don't get is when you have two stars together, they get one name and call it a binary star. So I don't understand why when you have two planets in partnership (pluto/charon) it wasn't called a binary planet

It is being called that. Anyway, the classification for such things depends on where the center of mass around which the bodies orbit is. If it is outside both bodies, it is a binary system. If it inside one of the bodies, it is a planet/moon system.

Xaven
08-17-2006, 05:41 AM
I've never really liked Pluto. I dun believe it should've ever been there in the first place. -__-

what a stupid move... the only reason they are trying to change the definition of a planet, to include these small, cold, uninteresting masses is so that they can remove the guilt of wrongfully classifying pluto as a planet in the first place!!!

Really, Pluto is only just 800 kilometres wide, and a lot smaller than was first thought when they classified it as a planet... "Xena" or 2003 UB 313 as it was first named, is definitely larger than Pluto, as are at least 50 or so other celestial bodies (including Charon and Ceres - which is located in the asteroid belt between jupiter and mars) already discovered within our solar system, 12 of which are also being considered for "Planet" status.

Id hate to see the rhyme for remembering the names of planets reach a full paragraph in length... they should just remove Pluto from the definition of planet, and stick with the 8 planets we actually have.
Yes, much agreed. I'm going to complain to my old science teacher and we can poke fun at it all day. :D

Madame Adequate
08-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Size directly has nothing to do with it (Although your "800km wide" comment is about one third of its actual diameter); to be a planet a body must be large enough to be rendered spherical by gravitational effects, and not so large as to cause fusion to occur, among other criteria.

Jojee
08-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Xena.... warrior princess.

I rented part of the first season the other day, just for old times' sake :p <33 That show got really kooky some seasons in, though o_o

Anyyy wayXD I honestly don't care about the planets. I learned it and it was all spiff in elementary school but what good will it do me in life?^_^ *flies a spaceship to Neptune*

Madame Adequate
08-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Xena.... warrior princess.

I rented part of the first season the other day, just for old times' sake :p <33 That show got really kooky some seasons in, though o_o

Anyyy wayXD I honestly don't care about the planets. I learned it and it was all spiff in elementary school but what good will it do me in life?^_^ *flies a spaceship to Neptune*

Well, extraplanetary expansion is the future of our species and all, soo...

Markus. D
08-17-2006, 06:26 AM
I like the name Ceres :]

Jojee
08-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Not if I DESTROY everything first >:</>D! Besides there's no way we would want to go live in Pluto or Xena or whatever ;D

Soon we'll have 981 planets and then the little elementary kids will really have a time learning them :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2006, 06:33 AM
As has been said, we're adding more planets, but we're accommodating for it by categorizing them. Kids in the future will probably only be asked to remember the principal planets, not the dwarf ones.

Also, Joy, come on. You're not going to destroy anything and you know it. Let's just get serious here.

Jojee
08-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Just because I love pink and girly stuff and squee ^___^ and cry in Disney films and thought that Minority Report was a scary movie does not mean that I won't destroy the world.

Vyk
08-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Also, Joy, come on. You're not going to destroy anything and you know itShe destroyed my heart. But Ceres still loves me

Blitz Ace
08-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Size directly has nothing to do with it (Although your "800km wide" comment is about one third of its actual diameter); to be a planet a body must be large enough to be rendered spherical by gravitational effects, and not so large as to cause fusion to occur, among other criteria.
whoops, should have checked that before i posted, dont know where i pulled that from... yeh, apparently its 2200 km wide. i still stand by my statement that it is too small (1000 km less in diameter than our moon!!)

Rusty
08-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Don't make fun on Neptune >=( And these new planets suck.

Spammerman
08-17-2006, 08:42 AM
whoops, should have checked that before i posted, dont know where i pulled that from... yeh, apparently its 2200 km wide. i still stand by my statement that it is too small (1000 km less in diameter than our moon!!)

so your saying if its smaller than our moon its to small to be a planet?

ValkyrieWing
08-17-2006, 08:44 AM
o_O

WOW.

NASA must be bored.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2006, 09:21 AM
This is the International Astronomical Union, not NASA.

starseeker
08-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm just glad that they're sorting out the mess of what a planet is or isn't.

Moon Rabbits
08-17-2006, 09:55 AM
I really don't care how many more planets there are, I'm still probably only going to remember the original 9.

:D I can, however, see myself telling children of the future stories about the good ol' days when there were only nine planets and the Cosby Show reruns were still on TV and that's the way we liked it.

CloudDragon
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm about to take an Astronomy class this fall. I know we'll be talking all about this stuff.

Vincent Valentine
08-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Haha, this will screw over all the astronomy books.
I honestly can't see all these sticking, or even being remembered a few years down the line by astrologers and the public alike. It just sounds to me like some guy trying to make a quick name for himself by ambiguously coming up with new planets that aren't even technically real planets...

Odaisé Gaelach
08-17-2006, 12:28 PM
While they're adding new planets to the solar system, why don't they change the name of Uranus, to stop that stupid joke once and for all?

Christmas
08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Sooner or later they will find the planet where JENOVA came from. :bigsmile:

feona17
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Man everyone needs to stop obsessing over the Xena name. I'm absolutely sure it has nothing to do with the show from the 90s. If they want to add more planets to our so called solar system, let them. If they want to classify pluto, ceres, charon and "xena" pluton planets, they can. This is still all up in the air as well it's not official. Anyway, some people need to just relax. Planets are... planets. We happen to live on one and there are others like it in space. Whoa, huge crisis there. :rolleyes2 It's not your job, nor is it mine. It's upto those in the committee to decide.

chronic_Maniac
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Sooner or later they will find the planet where JENOVA came from. :bigsmile:

yippie!!

Blitz Ace
08-17-2006, 01:53 PM

so your saying if its smaller than our moon its to small to be a planet?
... well, IMO yeh. i reckon they should have some size minimum, (not just talk about whether it can keep itself in a spherical shape), and stop worrying about the small things far away in our solar system which no ordinary person will probably ever know or care about. they can classify them as plutons or dwarfs or whatever, but not planets.

or they could just leave it as it is. as aisle_s said, most people will prob only ever remember the original 9 planets.

While they're adding new planets to the solar system, why don't they change the name of Uranus, to stop that stupid joke once and for all?
good point, they should :p

starseeker
08-17-2006, 01:54 PM

It's named after a Roman deity, can you suggest a replacement?

bipper
08-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Xena? That is sad. Whatever happened to the good old days when planets were given cool names like Uranus? I say before these planet names are ratified, we put Marick in charge of renaming em. (all).

Bipper

Lost Number
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0608/16planets/

bipper
08-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I bet you feel like an ass (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=90932)

I should add that these 'planets' have yet to be officially ammended.

feona17
08-17-2006, 03:25 PM
WHAT? Wait, I'm confused by this article. Are they adding four more?

edit:// o.o Nevermind.

Arrianna
08-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Man everyone needs to stop obsessing over the Xena name. I'm absolutely sure it has nothing to do with the show from the 90s. Actually it does. When someone finds a new celestial body they give it a temproary name until the International Astronomical Union can give it an official one. This guy named it after Xena. Who knows, maybe they'll have renamed it by the end of the convention.

The Devil Man
08-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Well, 3 more planets offically. Charon, Ceres and one provisionally called 'Xena'.

Wierdest thing is that the 'planet' Charon has actually been called a moon of Pluto's for the past few decades even though they are roughly the same size.

That's not a nice thing to say :(...

But, yeah, don't be too surprised if this Thread is closed down very soon.

<b>Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.</b>

bipper
08-17-2006, 03:58 PM

That's not a nice thing to say :(...

But, yeah, don't be too surprised if this Thread is closed down very soon.

Lost Number should know I am joking, as I have nothing but love and respect and flowers for the guy. :love:

Lost Number
08-17-2006, 03:58 PM
finally. you have ANY idea how hard it is to get a thread closed round here?

Captain Maxx Power
08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
finally. you have ANY idea how hard it is to get a thread closed round here?

It's only because you're a Pirate Red Mage with a sniper rifle. People are afraid to close your threads. As it should be.

bipper
08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
The real question is, "How many planets will they find in Uranus!"

...no?

Lost Number
08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Oh, but still. And bipper, i dont believe a word of it.

The Devil Man
08-17-2006, 04:02 PM
I love good ol' spam. This is a great forum but it's a pity they don't let you fill Threads with nonsense. Some other Forums I use... man, i just go crazy filling the threads with as much Spam as is humanly possible! Nothing beats writing Post after Post of solid crap.

edczxcvbnm
08-17-2006, 04:02 PM
We know they are not going to add all these other planets this year. They will phase them in over the next 5 years or so.

Lost Number
08-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I love good ol' spam. This is a great forum but it's a pity they don't let you fill Threads with nonsense. Some other Forums I use... man, i just go crazy filling the threads with as much Spam as is humanly possible! Nothing beats writing Post after Post of solid crap.

Sing it sister! Uh huh! Uh huh!

bipper
08-17-2006, 04:05 PM
We know they are not going to add all these other planets this year. They will phase them in over the next 5 years or so.

I will be using my unwielding GOE to subtract a few planets over the next five years. I like 9. It is a nice, even, rounded number

Lost Number
08-17-2006, 04:08 PM

I will be using my unwielding GOE to subtract a few planets over the next five years. I like 9. It is a nice, even, rounded number

Yeah! And divisible by 3!

Madame Adequate
08-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Clearly a British plot.

McLovin'
08-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Heh imagine they name it Celes :D

Lost Number
08-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Clearly a British plot.

Definitly

The Devil Man
08-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Why give planets stupid names like Pluto, Ceres or Charon?

Why can't they give a planet a nice, normal name like John or Harold? Or maybe Geoff? What's wrong with Stanley?

Odaisé Gaelach
08-17-2006, 04:30 PM
It's named after a Roman deity, can you suggest a replacement?

Urectum?

edczxcvbnm
08-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Stanley is a loser name and Geoff...Sounds like Giraff. It is also a loser name. Why not leave it all scientific. I want to travel to planet ZBA921 of the UNI394 solar system! That would rock all sorts of ass!

The Devil Man
08-17-2006, 04:53 PM
looking at your sig, we should have a planet named 'Unleash the Fury'

sounds a lot better then 'Jupiter' or smurfin' 'Saturn'.

Or... I got one. How about naming the next planet 'Old Manus'.

Its got a nice ring to it!

No.78
08-17-2006, 05:00 PM
They gave them crappy names!!! That's all I wanna say...
(lol xena, what the heck)

Yamaneko
08-17-2006, 05:00 PM
The two threads have been merged.

Isn't Pluto closer to the Sun every so often because of it's abnormal orbit?

edczxcvbnm
08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Yes. The paths of Neptune and Pluto cross every now and then which makes Pluto closer every so many hundreds of years. One day...I bet they will collide and then pluto will become a moon of Neptune.

The Devil Man
08-17-2006, 05:07 PM
One day...I bet they will collide and then pluto will become a moon of Neptune.

You think you'll be around when that happens?

Because I bet you Ł10,000 it don't happen? :D Come on! Show me your cash!

edczxcvbnm
08-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Sorry. I don't except pounds as payment. $$$ or Euros plz.

The Devil Man
08-17-2006, 05:17 PM
No bet then. Pound sterling is greatest currency in the entire solar system.

Shall i pay you in Gil instead?

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Whatever happened to Ophiucus, the starsign?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-18-2006, 12:52 AM
What makes you think something happened to it?

Vincent Valentine
08-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Whatever happened to Ophiucus, the starsign?
Nobody liked him, so they pretended he didn't exist...

Avarice-ness
08-18-2006, 08:12 AM
This is retarded.. I mean.. If we're going to name something a planet... atleast let it be something way out there so we can be all "OH HEY! THERE'S SOMETHING THAT MAY QUALIFY AS A PLANET BUT IT WAS TO FAR AWAY" not find an asteroid/potential planet and go "Hey wow, I think you should be a planet, and we're going to screw you up and throw you in between Mars and Jupiter to confuse all the little boys and girls!" ... Charon and Xena warrior princess are like... the kind you can pass off.. well not really Charon because it went from moon to planet, as apparently Ceres' the asteroid can. I say we make the moon a planet, and while we're at it, we'll just call Jupiter a full fledged star, and we'll make Jupiter and Saturns largest moons planets as well! *waves arms around*

starseeker
08-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes. The paths of Neptune and Pluto cross every now and then which makes Pluto closer every so many hundreds of years. One day...I bet they will collide and then pluto will become a moon of Neptune.

That isn't possible because at the time that Pluto crosses Neptune's orbit, it is no where near Neptune due to it being above the plane.

http://www.scienzita.it/lezioni/scienze_terra/immagini/pluto-orbit.jpg

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-18-2006, 01:19 PM
I like 9. It is a nice, even, rounded number
9 is not an even number...

I bet as soon as this get ratified there will be astrologers that will try to make a quick buck. Seeing as Ares and Scorpio once shared Mars as their influencing planet until the discovery of Pluto, I bet there will be people making books saying how the new planets will influence your life.

Anyways, I really think they should eventually use Minerva as a name. It just sounds cool.

bipper
08-18-2006, 02:58 PM
I like 9. It is a nice, even, rounded number
9 is not an even number...

Of course. That is part of the humor of the post. It is not a round number either. Nor is it nice.

No one gets me :mad2:

Arrianna
08-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Anyways, I really think they should eventually use Minerva as a name. It just sounds cool.

Sounds good to me. We need a Hebe as well... sorry, Juventas.

edczxcvbnm
08-18-2006, 03:36 PM

That isn't possible because at the time that Pluto crosses Neptune's orbit, it is no where near Neptune due to it being above the plane.

http://www.scienzita.it/lezioni/scienze_terra/immagini/pluto-orbit.jpg

Your picture doesn't help your point. The picture makes it look like pluto has 3 chances to crash into Neptune every pluto year.

Dignified Pauper
08-18-2006, 03:43 PM
actually, it is very possible that Pluto and Neptune could collide. It's just that it will take a few million years. It isn't like they revolve around the sun at the same speed. Sooner or later, if their paths keep crossing, they are bound to collide.

Madame Adequate
08-18-2006, 03:47 PM
This is retarded.. I mean.. If we're going to name something a planet... atleast let it be something way out there so we can be all "OH HEY! THERE'S SOMETHING THAT MAY QUALIFY AS A PLANET BUT IT WAS TO FAR AWAY" not find an asteroid/potential planet and go "Hey wow, I think you should be a planet, and we're going to screw you up and throw you in between Mars and Jupiter to confuse all the little boys and girls!" ... Charon and Xena warrior princess are like... the kind you can pass off.. well not really Charon because it went from moon to planet, as apparently Ceres' the asteroid can. I say we make the moon a planet, and while we're at it, we'll just call Jupiter a full fledged star, and we'll make Jupiter and Saturns largest moons planets as well! *waves arms around*

Whether something is a planet or a moon depends on where the center of mass is around which they orbit. Because the barycenter is outside both bodies in the case of Pluto and Charon, it is a binary planet system. If, however, the center of mass is inside one of the bodies, that body is the planet (Assuming it meets the other criteria), and the other body is a moon.

Minvera was actually considered as a name for Uranus, but wasn't adopted. We do have an asteroid 93Minverva.

edczxcvbnm
08-18-2006, 03:47 PM
actually, it is very possible that Pluto and Neptune could collide. It's just that it will take a few million years. It isn't like they revolve around the sun at the same speed. Sooner or later, if their paths keep crossing, they are bound to collide.

Thank you.

bipper
08-18-2006, 04:04 PM

Thank you.

There is a z axis not represented by that picture which seperates the orbits, or so I think she is saying that. Luckily, I only buy mars and moon real estate. Anyone buying up the bridges on the outer-planets is a freakin moron.

Bipper