PDA

View Full Version : Maximum HP and MP

Mako_Infused
08-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Whats the maximum amount of HP and MP characters are able to get in this game? :confused:

Sefie1999AD
08-17-2006, 09:08 PM
The space for numbers would indicate that 9999 HP and 999 MP is the max. However, I've heard you can have more than 9999 HP. When your HP goes beyond 9999, it skips the first digit in the NES version, so for example, 10,234 is displayed like 0234. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Captain Maxx Power
08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
The space for numbers would indicate that 9999 HP and 999 MP is the max. However, I've heard you can have more than 9999 HP. When your HP goes beyond 9999, it skips the first digit in the NES version, so for example, 10,234 is displayed like 0234. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Set Fryster to 9999 HP and 99 Vit at the start. Took some pummelling outside of town, almost down to single figure HP, but no HP increases. So I'd go ahead and say this probably isn't true.

DJZen
08-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Actually it displays like A234.

rubah
08-19-2006, 05:28 PM
A is 10, so it makes sense. Does it go up to F? hmm what would 9999 be under binarywise. Would the most you could get be F999? That would be really neat.
(after playing several battles, I realized that maria had an open slot, so I gave her the aegis shield, immediately after she gained two points in agility x.x; It seems to coincide with monsters running away. also raising HP is slow :p raising MP isn't too bad, at least not for maria xD)

Captain Maxx Power
08-19-2006, 09:27 PM
A is 10, so it makes sense. Does it go up to F? hmm what would 9999 be under binarywise. Would the most you could get be F999? That would be really neat.
(after playing several battles, I realized that maria had an open slot, so I gave her the aegis shield, immediately after she gained two points in agility x.x; It seems to coincide with monsters running away. also raising HP is slow :p raising MP isn't too bad, at least not for maria xD)

9999 expressed in binary is 0010011100001111 and 270F in Hex. Technically the max would be 65535, which would be displayed as 5999 if my Hex is correct, which it might not be since it's been about two years since I dealt with Hex and Binary. Really should relearn for my course.

rubah
08-20-2006, 12:11 AM
I didn't say it was expressed in hex, just that I could imagine why they would use an A to express a ten in the fifth place value :p I mentioned binary because there would probably be a fixed number of bits allocated to store the data for the stats.

Captain Maxx Power
08-20-2006, 10:06 AM
I didn't say it was expressed in hex, just that I could imagine why they would use an A to express a ten in the fifth place value :p I mentioned binary because there would probably be a fixed number of bits allocated to store the data for the stats.

Neither did I. The guess I made up was based upon a Hex value basically rounding itself around about four and a half times (so F would go to 0, then back round to F again, then 0 again). I seemed to experience the same pattern when playing FF3 and maxing out my Gil from many hours training my OK's. Saying that it may be the case that the value could overflow, and beyond 65535, the value would reset itself to 0. I don't think the value would be marked as negative because 1: It's more space (by a bit) and 2: It's unnecessary, so it shouldn't reset to -65535.

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
08-20-2006, 06:09 PM

What are hex and binary

rubah
08-20-2006, 06:29 PM
they're commonly used number systems that computers like to use. binary because it represents the two electrical states-- on and off (binary has 0s and 1s, just two numerals), and hex because it translates more easily into binary than base-10 does (0-F, sixteen numerals)

Captain Maxx Power
08-20-2006, 06:29 PM
What are hex and binary

Short answer, Hex and Binary are two ways in which computers deal with the millions of values flying about the place. Binary is a series of bits that can be either in an "on" position, or an "off", or 1 or 0. Depending on the type of Binary coding being used, different sequences of numbers will produce different binary. A general rule of thumb is that, counting from the right to left, each bit represents a value twice as large as the one before it. So for example 01101 represents the numbers 16, 8, 4, 2 and 1 respectively. Because 8, 4 and 1 are "on", they are added up to make the final value, 13.

Hex is a bit different. Short for Hexidecimal, it uses a base-16 pattern to store values. These values go from 0 to F (F being 15). A value such as 4A2 would be 010010100010, or 1186. Values on NES games were commonly stored as Hex numbers, since it was the smallest possible way to store a value within the limited space of a cartridge. Now values in these games, going above the designated space, will switch to Hex in order to represent themselves, since the number cannot display beyond a set number of digits (in the case of the HP problem, four digits). In some cases, a game/program may start using various other symbols if the value goes beyond F or, in the case I stated, simply keep on tallying but displaying it accordingly. The overflow I was talking about is when a value goes beyond the designated bit space allocated to this. It can cause a number of scenarios, including the value being capped back down to it's maximum, the value looping back around to 0 (or the minus value of the maximum if the number is set to be negative), or it may just plain crash the game.