PDA

View Full Version : Rugged Nature Guys

rubah
08-18-2006, 05:09 AM
http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/jeffreysawyer/livinginquiry

Read that. At least most of it.

Maybe it's because of my dad being interested all his life in living alone and independent, or maybe because it's the natural state of humans, but I find myself wishing I had the courage to do this. I would be one of the people he wrote about who would give him money and say they envied him.

Would you ever do this? Do you wish you would? Or do you think it's crazy? How likely do you reckon it would be for a girl to get raped as she did this? A guy?

kikimm
08-18-2006, 06:31 AM
I also kind of envy that. It's just so hard to break out of the mold. :P I don't think I could actually do something like that though - too much work for someone like me. Too much uncertainty.

Shoeberto
08-18-2006, 06:41 AM
It would be really neat, but it'd take a lot to just give up your whole life and start anew, just wandering. We've been trained in a way to think that life is entirely on this straight and narrow path. I didn't read much of that because I'm falling asleep at my keyboard, but I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't trust him, thinking that if he isn't doing living life the "normal" way (house, job, car, etc.) then he's crazy and probably on drugs, a rapist, or serial killer.

I'd like to do something like this, but it'd be hard.

Miriel
08-18-2006, 06:59 AM
I think what this guy did is very very neat. And it's so interesting reading about it.

But I would never want to do something like that myself. I know my place in the world. I don't have any aching questions about love or freedom. I have people in my life who I love and who love me. I would never leave them all behind. That seems incredibly selfish. I enjoy the comforts that money and possessions affords you. I like driving my car instead of walking. Et cetera et cetera.

Basically, for the most part, I really like my life. I wouldn't leave it behind. That would be a highly ungrateful thing to do.

But props to this guy. It makes for a great read.

Roogle
08-18-2006, 07:09 AM
I'd only be able to do that if I knew that my possessions would be intact for when I decide to return to more normal state of life.

I have a small amount of envy for those who are able to forsake everything even though it may not be the proper or correct thing to do in all cases; however, I cannot envision myself doing anything like that regardless of the circumstances.

Anaisa
08-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I couldn't survive without my possessions. Or wouldn't want to rather. An I know that doing so wouldn't teach me anymore about life. I'd like to travel more. But certainly not with barely any money! That wouldn't be safe anyway.

Levian
08-18-2006, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't want to walk around all alone in the middle of nowhere. That's not the natural state of the human, that's just lonely, sad and smelly. However, like this fella going from place to place, seeing stuff, seeing new people, sounds like fun. But you'd need more than 7 cents to do something like that. Unless you stopped for a while in each town and did some minor work or stuff like that. Mowing lawns. That would be pretty cool. Not that I'm going to do anything like that. I prefer having close friends, and a place to come home to. The feeling of "freedom" you are supposed to get when you leave everything behind is pretty overrated, in my opinion. I have enough freedom as it is right now. I can travel to a country tomorrow if I want to. I can do pretty much anything I want to. And I choose to use my freedom to attend school, and so do all of you. More or less.

Cz
08-18-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't think I could do something like that; nor would I want to. I'm content in the life I have right now, and I don't believe that giving it up and starting over would help me find any answers, or make me any happier. It's not a crazy thing to do, it's just not for everyone, and some people place more importance on independance and solitude than others.

Captain Maxx Power
08-18-2006, 02:42 PM
While I was bagging up the cooked mushrooms, I began to feel sick to my stomach. I was stuffed, my belly aching. I lay on the leaves under the hemlock trees to rest.

I had become greedy. I had carved out too many mushrooms from the tree because I was afraid. Because I had too many, I had eaten too many.

Still, I didn’t want to let food go to waste. I tied the bag to the side of my pack. It made me feel lopsided and weighed me down as I made my way up the hills. My stomach was bloated. It was a long walk.

Yeah, that's because you ate mushrooms you found on a random Oak tree. Moron.

Seriously, we're past this as a species. Reading this just infuriates me since it seems the longer he spent travelling the more of an arse he became. His musings don't just border on pretentiousness, they oughtright scream it at you. I bet he wears sandals and drinks wine at dinner parties and talks about how the "current economic climate can't possibly be maintained unless we switch to soya products". Jerk.

Tavrobel
08-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't want to walk around all alone in the middle of nowhere. That's not the natural state of the human, that's just lonely, sad and smelly. The feeling of "freedom" you are supposed to get when you leave everything behind is pretty overrated, in my opinion. I have enough freedom as it is right now. And I choose to use my freedom to attend school, and so do all of you. More or less.

Love for Levian.

Jebus
08-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Live, no. Little vacation drifting around the country, sure.

I need civilization. My whole existance relies on the artificial.