PDA

View Full Version : the smashing pumpkins re-unite

ffxatticus
08-18-2006, 05:12 AM
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003018864

I'm mad excited. I love the smashing pumpkins. anyone else?

also, has anyone heard new info about whos going to assist corgan?

farplaner
08-18-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm not a huge fan (I don't own any of their albums), but I do like quite a few of their songs. Considering that so much of the recent rock out there, IMO, is crap, I am intereted to hear what their new stuff will sound like.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-19-2006, 06:10 PM
I don't really know much about them to be honest

the lead singer is bald, is he not? Let's see him re-unite himself with his hair

Necronopticous
08-19-2006, 07:36 PM
This is pretty old news, beside the fact that they got Roy Thoman Baker on board for producing the album. I see The Smashing Pumpkins as one of the most important bands in history, so I'm highly excited for new material, even though I seriously doubt James Iha would ever work with Billy Corgan again.

pixie_demon
08-22-2006, 02:25 PM
wOOt well i am excited i dont care about anyone else!!!

its awesome. as far as i know its billy and jimmy, not sure if d'arcy and james would go back...

but i prefered the pumpkins in the d'arcy days... :love:

Araciel
08-22-2006, 02:41 PM
they were alright...i much preferred APC (of course) to either smash or zwan but meh...i like music

ffxatticus
08-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm not a huge fan (I don't own any of their albums), but I do like quite a few of their songs. Considering that so much of the recent rock out there, IMO, is crap, I am intereted to hear what their new stuff will sound like.

It's not technically "recent rock". It's not like the crap pop-rock put through your radio. And they have also been said to be "the" band of the 90s. I am all "interested' while being excited, because billy corgan was not as good solo so I hope their new stuff doesn't sound like his solo project.

I don't really know much about them to be honest

the lead singer is bald, is he not? Let's see him re-unite himself with his hair

haha, I definetly think that billy corgan looked better with hair. I dunno if he went bald or if he shaved it though....

This is pretty old news, beside the fact that they got Roy Thoman Baker on board for producing the album. I see The Smashing Pumpkins as one of the most important bands in history, so I'm highly excited for new material, even though I seriously doubt James Iha would ever work with Billy Corgan again.

It is old news that they were re-uniting. It is new news that billy is entering the studio very soon, if not already. I kinda hope that the band has tied up some ends and forgiven each other, because I would love to see the original lineup.

wOOt well i am excited i dont care about anyone else!!!

its awesome. as far as i know its billy and jimmy, not sure if d'arcy and james would go back...

but i prefered the pumpkins in the d'arcy days... :love:

I'm really really excited too. And I would also like to see d'arcy back with jim and james.

they were alright...i much preferred APC (of course) to either smash or zwan but meh...i like music

I think theyre more than alright, but thats your preferance. And music is good...

kikimm
08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I've known about it for awhile, but it's good to hear about it again. I'm definitely excited. There isn't enough Smashing Pumpkins music in the world. Not yet.

NorthernChaosGod
08-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Billy Corigan is bald.

Araciel
08-23-2006, 12:02 AM
here's something interesting, a book can also be .. a hat

farplaner
08-23-2006, 01:05 AM
I'm not a huge fan (I don't own any of their albums), but I do like quite a few of their songs. Considering that so much of the recent rock out there, IMO, is crap, I am interested to hear what their new stuff will sound like.

It's not technically "recent rock". It's not like the crap pop-rock put through your radio. And they have also been said to be "the" band of the 90s. I am all "interested' while being excited, because billy corgan was not as good solo so I hope their new stuff doesn't sound like his solo project.

I didn't say SP was recent, I said I consider most of the recent rock that has come out over the past few years to be crap...and therefore I am interested to hear if SP's new stuff will be a break from the crap.

pixie_demon
08-23-2006, 01:37 AM
There isn't enough Smashing Pumpkins music in the world. Not yet.

i completely agree. there never will be IMHO

ffxatticus
08-23-2006, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I've known about it for awhile, but it's good to hear about it again. I'm definitely excited. There isn't enough Smashing Pumpkins music in the world. Not yet.

yeah, I have like 500 songs by them on my iPod, but I need more!! haha

Billy Corigan is bald.

thanks for telling us

here's something interesting, a book can also be .. a hat

thank you?

I'm not a huge fan (I don't own any of their albums), but I do like quite a few of their songs. Considering that so much of the recent rock out there, IMO, is crap, I am interested to hear what their new stuff will sound like.

I didn't say SP was recent, I said I consider most of the recent rock that has come out over the past few years to be crap...and therefore I am interested to hear if SP's new stuff will be a break from the crap.

sorry I misunderstood you. we do need a break from the crap. the only good rock being made is...old rock haha.

There isn't enough Smashing Pumpkins music in the world. Not yet.

i completely agree. there never will be IMHO

:)

Jack
08-24-2006, 03:21 AM
Good stuff.

Fuego
08-24-2006, 03:26 AM

James Iha is the main reason i would really want to hear them ... he is a wicked guitarist ! Billy is ok ... but meh and darcy is'nt bad ... James is my reason to Love the SP and not be wrong >.<

Pure Strife
08-24-2006, 11:35 PM
James Iha is the main reason i would really want to hear them ... he is a wicked guitarist ! Billy is ok ... but meh and darcy is'nt bad ... James is my reason to Love the SP and not be wrong >.<

From what I gathered Billy wrote the vast majority of the guitar solos on the records, and James just played them sometimes, trading off with Billy every night as to who played what. At least until Mellon Collie and post-Mellon Collie, which is what I see as the decline of the band anyway, and I didn't like the songs on there James co-wrote. Billy wrote most of the bass too. The Pumpkins are really just Billy and Jimmy, which is mainly because Billy can't play drums. And Billy and Jimmy both worked on Zwan, which was pretty far removed from the grunge/alt-rock style of the Pumpkins, so I'm very speculative.

Much as I would love another alt rock grunge masterpiece the likes of Gish or Siamese Dream, or even an opus like Mellon Collie, I really can't see it happening. The Smashing Pumpkins have been one of my favourite bands for a long time, and I'll definitly see them on tour, but I'm not going to get my hopes up about new studio recordings.

Fuego
08-25-2006, 02:26 AM

From what I gathered Billy wrote the vast majority of the guitar solos on the records, and James just played them sometimes, trading off with Billy every night as to who played what. At least until Mellon Collie and post-Mellon Collie, which is what I see as the decline of the band anyway, and I didn't like the songs on there James co-wrote. Billy wrote most of the bass too. The Pumpkins are really just Billy and Jimmy, which is mainly because Billy can't play drums. And Billy and Jimmy both worked on Zwan, which was pretty far removed from the grunge/alt-rock style of the Pumpkins, so I'm very speculative.

Much as I would love another alt rock grunge masterpiece the likes of Gish or Siamese Dream, or even an opus like Mellon Collie, I really can't see it happening. The Smashing Pumpkins have been one of my favourite bands for a long time, and I'll definitly see them on tour, but I'm not going to get my hopes up about new studio recordings.

Iha wrote or co-wrote some of the Smashing Pumpkins' songs. He wrote "Blew Away" on ''Pisces Iscariot'', "Bugg Superstar" on ''Earphoria'', "Take Me Down" on ''Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness'', "...Said Sadly", "Believe", "The Boy", and "The Bells" on ''The Aeroplane Flies High'', "Summer" on the "Perfect" single and "Go" on ''MACHINA II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music''. He co-wrote with Billy Corgan "I Am One" on ''Gish'', "Soma" and "Mayonaise" on ''Siamese Dream'', "Plume" on ''Pisces Iscariot'', "Farewell and Goodnight" on ''Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness'', and "Tribute to Johnny" on ''The Aeroplane Flies High''. He also sang the band's covers of The Cure's "A Night Like This" and Syd Barrett's "Terrapin".

I know, but he is a cool peep and good guitarist >.<

Sunny Day Suicide
08-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Oh god. Why do you insist on killing my ears, Billy, why!?

Skogs
08-25-2006, 03:34 AM
Although Siamese Dream is one of my favourite albums of all time, I'm not optimistic about their reformation. In all truthfulness, they'd gone pretty crap by the time they had split.

In any case, if they don't get James Iha back in the band, it's not really the Pumpkins. May as well call it Zwan II.