PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Rifle Sucks

Cruise Control
08-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Is it just me, or does the sniper rifle suck. I can attach a SuperScope and a Power Cross to a pistol with a longbarrel, and boom a stronger gun than the sniper rifle.

Distain
08-18-2006, 11:02 PM
I actully havent really touched anything els aside from the cerebrus. You can pwn everyone with just it.

Maux
08-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Is it ust me, or does the sniper rifle suck. I can attach a SuperScope and a Power Cross to a pistol with a longbarrel, and boom a stronger gun than the sniper rifle.

I disagree. The sniper rifle (Hydra) kicks arse. One of the final guns you can get within the Hydra gun series can do a whopping large amount of damage (the only draw back is one bullet per load). It is quite a good gun expecially near the end of the game. I also like the Ultimate Weapon, and the griff just frustrates me,although it is one of the three guns I use.

*~Angel Wing~*
08-20-2006, 06:51 PM
I disagree. The sniper rifle (Hydra) kicks arse. One of the final guns you can get within the Hydra gun series can do a whopping large amount of damage (the only draw back is one bullet per load). It is quite a good gun expecially near the end of the game. I also like the Ultimate Weapon, and the griff just frustrates me,although it is one of the three guns I use.
Yes the Hydra is the best one!!! :thumb: I've been using it ever since I got it, and haven't changed it once. :up:

Cruise Control
08-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I've modified everything to the max (Power Cross <3), and I think that shot for shot the long barrel pistol is better it fires more for 8/10 of the same damage, and its lethal anyway.

I've also found the magic system blows, with the exception of one boss, magic sucks. I always use my cerberus relief instead of materia. Except now I have to melee Arch Azul, and thats not fun.

Distain
08-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Ya the magic/materia emliment of the game is pretty much pointless. I never realy used it.

*~Angel Wing~*
08-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Ya the magic/materia emliment of the game is pretty much pointless. I never realy used it.
Yeah the only time I used magic was against those robot things cuz they're weak against thunder. Other than that I never use it. :p

What I hate is you get a lower score if you don't use magic, which I think is sooo not fair. :mad:

Cruise Control
08-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Which is why every time you find a mako point you use it all.

Doomie
08-22-2006, 11:06 PM
1. I love magic. Fire rules.
2. Cerberus is my favorite gun.
3. I find myself using more melee attacks than shooting. ^_^

Ironside
08-23-2006, 05:44 AM
Well i find the main cerberus wepon the best however the sniper was ok when your fighting other sinipers but thats bout it. On the magic well I used the lightning alot I once took out 7 guys at once using the lighting spell since it goes from one enimy to another after a few milisecs after shooting it. i used the cerberus long barll lighting materia and power cross as my main wepon choice.

*~Angel Wing~*
08-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Yes the Hydra is the best one!!! :thumb: I've been using it ever since I got it, and haven't changed it once. :up:
I think I changed my mind...I upgraded the Griffon and it's really kick ass!!! :thumb: I use that one alot now. I think for me it's a tie between Griffon and Hydra. :up:

fullmetal_fantasy
08-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Well i hated the sniper rifle, you'd be shooting and trying to focus whille people are constently shooting at you. xD
So actually i liked the magic, i used it instead of sniper because it shot far away and plus the fire materia explodes and can get alot of eneimies
not to mention homing ability ^_^

Zeromus_X
08-29-2006, 04:11 AM
I also thought the Sniper Rifle was sucktastic...:cat:

Cid's_Lady_Erin
08-29-2006, 06:19 PM
I found the sniper was useful for one type of enemy, but otherwise it wasn't so great. I used it mainly to target in on exploding barrels/boxes upon which exploding barrels were balanced. If I could, I would thank Deepground and WRO for being so dumb as to leave such barrels standing around at every opportunity possible and then hiding near them.

And yea, I used the fire materia all the time when magic was needed. The other materia seemed kind of useless. The nice thing about the fire was that if I shot it in a general area that also included exploding barrels, it usually set them off too.

Nominus Experse
08-30-2006, 03:09 AM
The sniper rifle is basically used to kill snipers, and barely anything else. In Very Hard, they literally take off 800 to 1000 HP with one shot, so having the Hydra to combat them is amazingly useful in that sense. From time to time, you are capable of killing mass groups of people by targetting a barrel that is conveniently placed next to them. The Cerberus peters short in range (even with the Nova Barrel), and more than anything, caused the soldiers to then become alerted of your presence. The Gigant Hydra is the only gun that surpasses the Ultima Weapon in damage (280 compared to 200).

But seeing as most of the game will be played in medium to short range, the usage of the Hydra is limited. Unless you are one of the types that enjoys picking soldiers off from afar with calm patience and effectively hiding yourself, the Hydra is not a gun that you will use very often.

And as for magic, get a materia floater and upgrade it so that your magic level is maxed (3). Then proceed to see what magic is truly capable of. To further the use of magic, it does not use bullets, allows you to kill off large groups of soldiers easily in one or two magic shots (Fire or Thunder materia), and also ignores defense.

How do you think you kill the Dual Horn in order to get the Manahaert? Thunder materia and the Ultima Weapon coupled with a lovely chain.

So really, magic and the Hydra are actually quite useful - it simply takes a certain amount of thought and patience in figuring out how to use it exceptionally well. However, once harnessed, I found that Very Hard was actually quite easy.

Mercen-X
09-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Yes, upgraded C + LB & SS = Hydra's replacement.
However, if you didn't want to waste time or money acquiring Handgun bullets, having the Hydra and Griffon around was pretty useful. I didn't know about the Model Gun until after I'd finished the game and played through again. I still haven't made enough money to upgrade to the Ultima Weapon.

Ice Magic = homing
Blizzard was useful when fighting enemies from afar. You could get the same effects from Vincent's Galian Beast transformation, but if you didn't have any Limit Breakers and didn't want to waste time finding your enemy through the Sight Scope or blasting away at them until you finally dropped them . . . then Blizzard would be for you.
Fire Magic = range
I personally didn't like Fire all that much. Judging by the radius, you could shoot a single soldier and miss his entourage coming up from behind. However, it was pretty useful against enemies who seemed to group together.
Thunder Magic = group
Unlike Fire, Thunder chains to enemies who are a particular distance from each other. Sometimes, there may be some missed stragglers and Thunder does less damage than Fire or Blizzard, but will certainly knock a huge group down, even if they aren't that close together.

Melee was only useful when you rarely felt like saving ammo.

Cruise Control
09-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Yes, upgraded C + LB & SS = Hydra's replacement.
However, if you didn't want to waste time or money acquiring Handgun bullets, having the Hydra and Griffon around was pretty useful. I didn't know about the Model Gun until after I'd finished the game and played through again. I still haven't made enough money to upgrade to the Ultima Weapon.No matter what I do to it, I can't even get the maxed out hydra (Giga I think) to be more useful.

I'm using maxed cerberus
Maxed Power Booster
Maxed Long-Barrel
Sniper Scope

Sure, the hydra does a little more damage, but with one bullet a load, the Cerberus wins.

Not to mention handgun ammo is cheap. And it shoots three bullets, I can kill enemies behind each other.

Bloodline666
09-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Personally, I only use the Hydra when I absolutely need long-range shooting. I find myself unable to move and aim simultaneously with the Hydra, so I save that strictly for shooting certain memory capsules and eliminating snipers and other enemies that are far away.

Most other situations, I use Cerberus/Ultima Weapon, because I find I have the most mobility while using it. I rarely ever use Griffon, though.

Masamunemaster
09-14-2006, 05:12 PM
I thought the only reason why it sucked is bc of the slow firing rate( I had mine at S wieght and range and A at power and speed

Halenite
09-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah the only time I used magic was against those robot things cuz they're weak against thunder. Other than that I never use it. :p

Then how did you beat the game without killing those armored soldiers? Or did you just melee them to death? (I'm guilty of doing this a couple of times, lol)

Aralith
09-15-2006, 05:12 AM
I think that shot for shot the long barrel pistol is better
Agreed. If I was within medium range of a sniper, I would use my Powered Cerberus, Nova L Barrel combo. Of course, now I use the Ultima Weapon, but that's just because it rules. The only time that the Hydra comes in handy is if you need to be accurate from a long distance. Because the Hydra has an extremely small amount of recoil, it is easy to shoot a sniper in the head from a very long distance.

Unlike most people, I found the Griffon very useful when met with hoards of enemies. Although, I must admit that if you didn't upgrade it to the Sonic Griffon and couple it with the Gale S Barrel, it becomes rather useless. However, if you did use that combo, you would find that the rate of fire is incredible. 200 I believe, was my speed with that combo. Of course, you can always just use the Blast Machine Gun. That way you can just knock everyone down and keep them down. Quite useful for when you're met with a very large group of enemies, such as the 17 Guard Hounds that attack you when you first get the Blast Machine Gun.

Neo Blackheart
09-15-2006, 06:35 PM
The sniper rifle is good against flying enemys and enimies far away. I had it up to the last and then ha the special equipment that had it having no reload time so I would be hiting around 5 to 6 thousand every 10 seconds. That is against ground enemies flying I do a good 10 thousand quickly you just run out of ammo fast. very fast.

feioncastor
10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Is it just me, or does the sniper rifle suck. I can attach a SuperScope and a Power Cross to a pistol with a longbarrel, and boom a stronger gun than the sniper rifle.

No, you're right. Plus, the Sniper Rifle inhibits your vision if you have the scope on. You can't see around you well enough. And something always sneaks up on you while you're zoomed in. And usually, while you're zoomed in, the guy you're sniping will see you and it's tough to evade him while you're zoomed in.