PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest IX Confirmed

Dreddz
08-18-2006, 08:43 PM
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3655&Itemid=2

DJZen
08-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Wow, I had no idea Sugiyama was 75 years old. ROCK ON!

If the two series DO in fact appear on different platforms, it means the PS3 is going to fail MISERABLY in Japan, since more people are going to buy a Wii for DQIX. This, of course, only speculation since nothing's been REALLY confirmed yet.

Vyk
08-18-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm surprised it wasn't officially announced long before this. You'd think they'd be more than half way done with it by now

Dreddz
08-18-2006, 11:27 PM
If the two series DO in fact appear on different platforms, it means the PS3 is going to fail MISERABLY in Japan, since more people are going to buy a Wii for DQIX. This, of course, only speculation since nothing's been REALLY confirmed yet.
I doubt it will arrive on the Wii, most DQ fans will own a PS3, seeing as DQ fans own a PS2 most probably. Square Enix wouldnt ditch it biggest fan base, it will sell most if it appeared on the PS3. And while Japanese gamers are indeed excited about the Wii, there still rooting for the PS3.

Morridor
08-19-2006, 04:56 AM
I doubt it will arrive on the Wii, most DQ fans will own a PS3, seeing as DQ fans own a PS2 most probably. Square Enix wouldnt ditch it biggest fan base, it will sell most if it appeared on the PS3. And while Japanese gamers are indeed excited about the Wii, there still rooting for the PS3.

I don't know, Square Enix's audience seems to be buying their games no matter what system it is on. Also, all of the Role Players seem to want to buy the Wii over the PS3. Also, with Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors being confirmed as a release title for the Wii, that really influences Dragon Quest fans opinion on which system to buy. Square Enix is doing everything they can to steer the DQ fans in the direction to buy DQ games.

Danny

Zeromus_X
08-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I have a feeling they'll keep making them until they all die off, which won't happen yet.

Still, wtf is up with this:

IX will almost definitely be in 3D as well, perhaps with a few of the tiny problems of Dragon Quest VIII ironed out.

What 'tiny problems'? >_>; The game was pretty gorgeous to me.

Still, gotta keep on going. :cat:

Captain Maxx Power
08-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I hear the PS3 version will feature giant enemy crabs and drifting.

McLovin'
08-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Oh damn I hate having to change platforms. Buying a PS3 will be a drag cause it costs so damn much.

I am very happy that they're making a DQ 9. I'm very anxious to see what side quests this one will have hehe.

DJZen
08-20-2006, 12:55 AM
while Japanese gamers are indeed excited about the Wii, there still rooting for the PS3.

Not according to polls they're not...

jj984jj
08-20-2006, 06:11 AM
Only time will tell us what DQIX will really be on, as Hori as always said that the franchise will be on the system with the largest user base in Japan. There is no brand loyalty with DQ, DQVII was in development for three systems at first and ended up on PS1 because of the user base, but the game almost ended up on Saturn and N64 as well. Only time will tell us whether Wii or PS3 will be more successful in Japan.

Edit: Unless they release it on PS2. DQVII was released on PS1 after PS2 launched IIRC.

Erdrick Holmes
08-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Well I'd think that trhe DQ9 game might be on the Wii due to the fact that it's the most popular game franchise in Japanese history, and due to the fact how Square Enix loves money and that the Wii is the most popular next gen system in Japan (if I heard right) it might just get a Wii release.

Dreddz
08-22-2006, 07:49 PM
I dont see why people even question that the PS3 is most popular in Japan. (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/amazon-reports-more-japanese-want-ps3-than-wii-188000.php)

Flying Mullet
08-22-2006, 07:52 PM
I would love to play DQ with the motion detection of the Wii if they included it in an ingenious way.

DJZen
08-23-2006, 02:28 AM
I dont see why people even question that the PS3 is most popular in Japan. (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/amazon-reports-more-japanese-want-ps3-than-wii-188000.php)

Because some of us pay attention to things. (http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3858) :rolleyes2 If there's no DQ on the PS3 that's essentially the death knell. Not in the US but in Japan. However, failure in Japan equals failure everywhere.

Dreddz
08-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Looking forward to something isnt the same as wanting it, everyone is looking forward to the Wii. But im sure the Japanese will want PS3's more, you can convince others to get a Wii instead, but saying the Japanese will ditch Sony is pushing it too far....

Flying Mullet
08-23-2006, 02:02 PM

Because some of us pay attention to things. (http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3858) :rolleyes2 If there's no DQ on the PS3 that's essentially the death knell. Not in the US but in Japan. However, failure in Japan equals failure everywhere.
So you have to wait for the actual sales to show who wants it versus trying to predict it, as always. :p

bipper
08-23-2006, 04:25 PM

So you have to wait for the actual sales to show who wants it versus trying to predict it, as always. :p

The polls contradict a prediction! Blasphamy! Some one get my Crystal ball out of the waterfall and I will likt ya know what will go down.

Bipper

The Devil Man
08-23-2006, 11:04 PM
I can't wait! I love the Dragon Quest series. I thought Journey of the Cursed King was great. I hope they remake the others for the PSP somehow.

LunarWeaver
08-24-2006, 12:00 AM
More RPGs are always good news for me. I hope they show a turn order this time =) /BitchesAboutItForTheMillionthTime

On a Wii it could be neat I guess... Pick things out of the menu with the controller, drag items around in your inventory... Hmm... It will be crazy pretty on the Ps3 though.

Now I'm suddenly wondering how I'm supposed to move and control a 3-d camera with the Wii's motion controller. I'd have to move with the analog stick and spin the camera left and right with the motion sensor I guess... And my arm is weak and feeble and I'm allergic to effort and I can't handle that much movement. xD

I hope the people who handled VIII's localization handle IX's too.

DJZen
08-24-2006, 03:32 PM
saying the Japanese will ditch Sony is pushing it too far....

Why wouldn't they?

jj984jj
08-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I can't wait! I love the Dragon Quest series. I thought Journey of the Cursed King was great. I hope they remake the others for the PSP somehow.

Given Square-Enix's DS support, I'd say a DS remake ala FFIII or ala DQIV PSX is more likely.

Flying Mullet
08-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Don't forget that they already remade DQ I-III for Game Boy Color. Since they scrapped their plans on the DQIV PS1 remake, it's the most likely candidate for a DS remake, unless they want to bring over V or VI.

Ashley Schovitz
08-24-2006, 04:13 PM
There just doing that because they think that Wii will probably end up selling more than PS3 and that's a good possibility it's been years siunce I played only Nintendo games. I wonder if Star Fox will be back.

Orophin
08-24-2006, 06:18 PM
saying the Japanese will ditch Sony is pushing it too far....

Why wouldn't they?

Yeah, I don't think they buy Sony's consoles because they like Sony, but because of the games that are on the Playstation. Japaneses like DQ a lot (more than FF) and I think that they will surely follow the DQ games and the others games they love, not the console.

DJZen
08-24-2006, 08:43 PM
As I've said before, to say that the Japanese like DQ is a massive understatement. There are laws governing when DQ games can and can't be released. When a new DQ game is released, national productivity drops notably FOR A WEEK. This means enough of the country runs out, buys the game, and plays it religiously for a week to cause lower work and school attendance and performance. There is no comparison in the US gaming market. Even if S-E were to remake FFVII for the PS3, it would be NOTHING compared to how excited Japan has already gotten over the release of DQVIII. In case I'm not making this clear enough, THE POPULARITY OF DQ IN JAPAN IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE TO WESTERN GAMERS BECAUSE NO GAME IN THE US OR EUROPE IS ANYWHERE NEAR AS POPULAR. NO COMPARISON CAN BE MADE. YOU CAN'T EVEN BEGIN.

Erdrick Holmes
08-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Yeah, it all started with DQ3. People called in sick at work and skipped school, lines to buy the game were several city blocks long, people were getting mugged in the streets just to buy the games, etc. SO it's against the law for a Dragon Quest title to be sold in stores except sunday.

DJZen
09-01-2006, 08:45 PM
From Wikipedia:

Dragon Quest is such a cultural phenomenon in Japan that there are live-action ballets, musical concerts, and audio CDs based on the Dragon Quest universe. There is actually a Japanese federal law stating that the Dragon Quest games can only be released on Saturday or Sunday, so as to avoid tens of thousands of work and school-related absences nationwide. The London Philharmonic Orchestra has performed for several Dragon Quest music albums.

Flying Mullet
09-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah yeah, we get it already. Most of us already know how popular it is over there. :rolleyes2

DJZen
09-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Its popularity in Japan can't be overstated.

Erdrick Holmes
09-03-2006, 08:53 PM
What makes Dragon Quest games one of the best RPG series ever is the fact that it's just a pure RPG. No rediculously easy battles, no complex menus to navigate through, no uber-confusing plot, no unnessesary bells or whistles. Just what RPGs need to be, a large scale pure adventure for the player to explore, gain strength, free of perservatives, no fillers and all adventure.

theundeadhero
09-04-2006, 10:34 AM
The lack of retarded mini-games is a big plus.

DJZen
09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
And the lack of emo teens whining about their problems. *stabs Cloud in the eye*

Erdrick Holmes
09-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Lack of unessesarily complex villians and heroes who's gender and abstract sexual orientation were decided with the roll of a few dice makes it nice too.

Kain Strife
09-05-2006, 12:58 AM
I'm very happy about this. In the UK, 8 was the first DQ we had, so i'm wanting more.

DJZen
09-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Lack of unessesarily complex villians and heroes who's gender and abstract sexual orientation were decided with the roll of a few dice makes it nice too.

What exactly are you saying here?

Erdrick Holmes
09-05-2006, 02:28 AM
From a far glance most of the heroes and villians look are androgionous the first time you see them in newer RPGs, that and people sometimes twist them with fanfics. (not that I have anything against them)