PDA

View Full Version : Suikoden V Recruiting Woes

BG-57
08-19-2006, 04:00 AM
I've been plowing through Suikoden V, which I have found really enjoyable so far, except for one thing: recruiting seems to be very haphazard for at least half a dozen characters.

I've recruited Genoh and Richard way before the strategy guide said I could, and I haven't been able to recruit characters that the guide said I could at my point in the game (I just saved the Beaver village).

Particularly Linfa, who I completed both prerequisites for (loosing to her in Esterise, and getting the Potch back in Yashuna village). The guide said I couldn't find her in Raftfleet Inn until I defeated Roy. I only checked out the Inn after doing that and saving the Beaver village, and she's not there.

Just as bad I can't recruit the bandit siblings, even with Roy in the party.

My last save is five hours earlier. Am I going to have to backtrack or will I be able to recruit all three eventually?

Madame Adequate
08-19-2006, 04:34 AM
I thought Faylen and Faylon joined with Roy?

Morridor
08-19-2006, 05:09 AM
This is why you don't listen to Strategy Guides. Go to Gamefaqs or something.

Anyway, I've found that recruiting is more haphazard than the previous installments of Suikoden but it's still enjoyable. I don't remember the recruiting order very well, but you might have to backtrack. I really would say look in a faq because I'm really not sure on my answer! I need to play it again to remember everything!

Danny

Alixsar
08-19-2006, 07:14 AM
The recruiting in Suikoden V I found to be brutal. There are a lot of character that if you miss, you can never get. And unlike the other games, there's never a clear indication of when you can go out and start recruiting random people. Typically the strategist will give you some talk about how you need more people to challenge the bad guy, but not in this one. You're just expected to always be hunting for people the entire game. And if you miss one minor thing, you lose someone forever. It's nuts.

ValkyrieWing
08-19-2006, 07:17 AM
The recruting is VERY difficult. I know that it took me until almost the end of the game to get Meroon, even though the guide said I could get her much earlier.

Not only that, but I haven't been able to get Bastain beacue I CAN'T FIND THE STUPID PAINTING HE NEEDS!!! He's the last person I need to get, and I can't go any further until I get him...you know how it is, I'm at that magical point in the game where I need all 108 people.

Stupid Sialeeds. XP

Raven Nox
08-19-2006, 07:46 AM
I used the offical guide for recuiting, and I ended up missing a person (Alhazard) because I didn't see the very tiny box they had for him, and I somehow missed him while running around. It helped me with everyone else though, except Bastain. Those are the two I didn't get and I'm much too lazy to start the game over and get them. ^^;

Recuiting in Suikoden V can be much more of a pain than the others though.

Nope, they stayed behind for a reason I forgot. xD I only remember going all the way back to their hideout with Roy, and they you had to help them return the things they stole to the town, and then they'd join you.

Madame Adequate
08-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Nuh-uh, I remember it properly now. When you're in Sable, after you beat Eurum up and talk to Solis, Roy will ask you to spare Faylon and Faylen, at least. Do so, and they join you.

Although, given how haphazard it seems things can be, there are probably several different ways to recruit them. xD

BG-57
08-19-2006, 03:38 PM

I used the offical guide for recuiting, and I ended up missing a person (Alhazard) because I didn't see the very tiny box they had for him, and I somehow missed him while running around. It helped me with everyone else though, except Bastain. Those are the two I didn't get and I'm much too lazy to start the game over and get them. ^^;

Recuiting in Suikoden V can be much more of a pain than the others though.

Nope, they stayed behind for a reason I forgot. xD I only remember going all the way back to their hideout with Roy, and they you had to help them return the things they stole to the town, and then they'd join you.

You're both right apparently. According to gamefaqs, if the Prince says he was just trying to clear his name, they'll join then, and if he doesn't, he has to go up the mountain to recruit them. The trick I found was you have to speak with the butler in Sable mansion. When he complains that it's taking Faylen and Faylon forever to bring the stolen goods back, that's the cue to go visit them with Roy in the party.

The recruting is VERY difficult. I know that it took me until almost the end of the game to get Meroon, even though the guide said I could get her much earlier.

Not only that, but I haven't been able to get Bastain beacue I CAN'T FIND THE STUPID PAINTING HE NEEDS!!! He's the last person I need to get, and I can't go any further until I get him...you know how it is, I'm at that magical point in the game where I need all 108 people.

Stupid Sialeeds. XP

I discovered by accident that it's not a specific ? Painting he needs, it's randomly determined from the ones in your inventory. I kept going back and forth between the Revolving Bridge and disposing of my paintings when I didn't get a reaction. But one time I tried and failed, and reset instead. When I spoke to him with the exact same batch of paintings I recruited him!

BTW, I found Linfa after all. I just didn't see her sitting at the table the first time.

Darkbeat
08-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Bastan with the ?Painting, you don't ahev to reset the game for that. Just go in the shop with a few ?Paintings and talk to him. If the pop up menu for appraisal appears, close it, go outside and back in and talk to him again. Keep doing it until he mentions the Ivanov painting (which means the pop up doesn't appear) and you have him ;)

There are indeed certain points that require for you to recruit characters or else you can't get them anymore. Keep in mind that Eresh doesn't have to be recruited, since she shares a SoD with someone else (won't mention who since it's quite the spoiler). But it's better to recruit Eresh, since she's more useful.

ValkyrieWing
08-20-2006, 03:04 AM
Bastan with the ?Painting, you don't ahev to reset the game for that. Just go in the shop with a few ?Paintings and talk to him. If the pop up menu for appraisal appears, close it, go outside and back in and talk to him again. Keep doing it until he mentions the Ivanov painting (which means the pop up doesn't appear) and you have him ;)

There are indeed certain points that require for you to recruit characters or else you can't get them anymore. Keep in mind that Eresh doesn't have to be recruited, since she shares a SoD with someone else (won't mention who since it's quite the spoiler). But it's better to recruit Eresh, since she's more useful.

REALLY?! It's that easy? Ok, I have to do this, then...thank you so much!

Nice signature by the way...That IS Hugo, isn't it?

Darkbeat
08-20-2006, 04:12 PM
You're welcome ^_^

Yes that's indeed Hugo...this is one of the older signatures I made like ages ago, but I still like it :P

black orb
08-20-2006, 06:40 PM
>>> I think I gonna like this game (like all the others), its a shame I havent been able to play it yet..:cry:

BG-57
08-21-2006, 11:02 AM
I really like it so far. Of course it helps that it reminds me even more strongly of Heroic Legend of Arslan than any previous installment. :)

Dell
08-21-2006, 06:20 PM
That's why Suikoden V is the best AFTER Suikoden II!
This may go out of topic but what is everyone favourite party members (including Entourage)

EDIT: Suikoden IV recruiting is hell-easy

ValkyrieWing
08-22-2006, 04:31 AM
Favorite party....hmmm...

*goes to load game*

Darkbeat
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Dunnow...I use different parties so I change often.

When I'm in my Mage mood, I usually have these:

Faroush, Lyon, Levi, Zerase, Jean, Eresh

Other parties:

Faroush, Lyon, Richard, Cathari, Zerase, Levi

Faroush, Lyon, Miakis, Georg, Zerase, Richard

Standard in my entourage:

Egbert >> Potch Finder is one hell of an ability!
Takamuku >> Escape Route FTW!
Zweig/Lorelai >> Treasure Hunt <333 next to that they do well as Party members in battles when I need to switch

I'm very fond of Richard and his Swallow Rune <3

BG-57
08-22-2006, 06:10 PM
When the plot doesn't force a party on me, I like having Prince, Lyon, Richard, Zerase, Lorelei, and Zweig in my main party.

Another fun party is Kisara, Logg, Lun, and Subala, in addition to the Prince and Lyon. That family is so comical and it certainly helps that Lun is voiced by Lia Sargent.

Dell
08-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Final parties:
Faroush - Rage, Dawn, Flowing
Lyon - Thunder, Mother Earth, Twilight (Not spoiling BG-57)
Belcoot - N/A, Falcon, Mother Earth
Bernadette - Pale Gate, Shield, Cyclone
Miakis - Shield, Cyclone, Rage
Zerase - Star, Resurrection, Flowing

I use Lorelai (Thunder, Drain, Mother Earth) when Lyon's out of use after the Queen's Campaign

Entourage:

Cathari (Swooosh!!!! Double Speed ftw!)
Murad (SAFE-PLAY)
Marina (SAFE-PLAY)
Egbert (Money.....)

Sometimes, I change Egbert with Babbage for treasure!
And I use Takamu instead of Cathari until Cathari joined my party.
In the New Game+, you inherit the double speed so I use Haleth (I want a discount!) or Babbage (SEE BABBAGE ABOVE)

I'm not spoiling anyone!:tongue:

Madame Adequate
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
My primary party would probably be Faroush, Lyon, Belcoot, Nikea, Jeane or Zerase, and Viki, with support from Marina, Egbert, Takamu, and whoever comes to hand, or possibly Levi in case one of my mages gets low on magic (Rare, but not impossible).

Belcoot = total ownage. I've seen Belcoot parry something insane like ten attacks in a row, counter six of them, and be pretty much an entirely unstoppable powerhouse.

Darkbeat
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Belcoot is really awesome in battles...but then you should definitely use Richard. Major powerhouse with his Swallow Rune. Not like the Swalklow Rune in Tactics though, but damn...the guy pwned major ass in combat!

BG-57
08-23-2006, 03:58 PM
And if Mueller regards Richard as a wimp, I shudder to think what he himself would have been like as a regular party member! :eek:

Darkbeat
08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Whahahaha Mueller indeed saw him as a wimp, but seriously he's a damn powerhouse, just not one of the brightest though :P