PDA

View Full Version : Should I get it?

Raebus
08-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm up for a game to play, a shooter even. First though, I want to know if it's any good from those who've played it. Oh and any post that has "becuz its got vincent in it" will be ignored, shot and fed to a pack of wild dogs.

falco9956
08-19-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm up for a game to play, a shooter even. First though, I want to know if it's any good from those who've played it. Oh and any post that has "becuz its got vincent in it" will be ignored, shot and fed to a pack of wild dogs.

i have the game and have been through it all. It is alot of fun. As a matter of fact on the vincent part, it was better to have vincent as the main anyway. he looks cooler and uses guns, my fav weapon. Worth playing! Rating 10 of 10!

Maux
08-19-2006, 11:51 PM
I would tell you to get it, but it is nowhere near a 10/10. It is more like a seven or eight. The gameplay brings it down but the story and FMV bring it up. It is also a challenge in extra-hard and the extra levels are intering. I've played it and find it agreeable if you're looking for a fun game then you will probably like it. Is it worth the fifty bucks? That can be debated, but is still a great game. If you are unsure then rent it and see if you like it then buy it, or just buy it.

Raebus
08-20-2006, 01:07 PM
I would tell you to get it, but it is nowhere near a 10/10. It is more like a seven or eight. The gameplay brings it down but the story and FMV bring it up. It is also a challenge in extra-hard and the extra levels are intering. I've played it and find it agreeable if you're looking for a fun game then you will probably like it. Is it worth the fifty bucks? That can be debated, but is still a great game. If you are unsure then rent it and see if you like it then buy it, or just buy it.

Thanks, a good opinion is all that I ever hoped for. Oh and it's £40 here, me'thinks.

*~Angel Wing~*
08-20-2006, 07:03 PM
i have the game and have been through it all. It is alot of fun. As a matter of fact on the vincent part, it was better to have vincent as the main anyway. he looks cooler and uses guns, my fav weapon. Worth playing! Rating 10 of 10!
When I 1st put it on I knew it was gonna be good. I like how Vincent is the main character :love: and the storyline is very interesting. I also like the battle system, cuz it's something different from the normal Final Fantasy battle system.

After I started playing Dirge Of Cerberus for a few minutes, it reminded me a lot of a combination of Devil May Cry and 007: Nightfire.

I REALLY like it!!! :kaohappy2 You should TOTALLY get it!!! :jess: :thumb:

Zeromus_X
08-20-2006, 07:07 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/cswithreevew.jpg

But other than that, the gameplay is solid (improved from the JP version of course), and a wild backstory with everyone's favorite mystery man. :cat: Sure, it isn't perfect, but it isn't horrible. (Not every game is perfect, after all.)

Conflagration
08-20-2006, 08:15 PM
It's very fun, IMO, but what it lacks is length. The game is a little too short. You can beat it in 3-4 days; less if you play a lot.

You can go back and play in Hard and Extra Hard mode though, which would make the game last more.

Tiamat
08-21-2006, 03:03 PM
I paid 40USD for it(not sure how, I think the clerk messed up) and I feel like it was well worth it. It's no 10/10 because it does have some obvious flaws, but it's entertaining enough, and the story relates well to events from the original FF7.

I still wish they'd done a 'Stealth shooter' or an action RPG with mild shooter aspects, but SE put a legitimate effort into this and came out with a decent product. If I had to rate it, I'd say it's somewhere between a 7 or 8 out of 10.

You might be able to get away with a rental just to get the main story arc, however I'm personally glad that I bought it, and would recommend it to you if you appreciate FF7.

Nominus Experse
08-30-2006, 03:31 AM
Personally, once I was able to forgive the dodgy controls and occassional bad camera angles, I definately found it to my liking. It's lacking in the terms of graphics, and the scenery is not exactly lush and detailed, but some levels do look like they were definately given some thought. However, I noticed many shortcuts in terms of graphics. For example, some rivers just... stop. Some characters look flat, the ground or walls look bland and uneventful.

Some of you may be exclaiming that I have somehow turned a blind eye to the cinemas. The cinemas are fantastic, truly captivating and amazing are words that try to describe how awesome these are, but fail doing so. My qualms with the graphics come from the occassional thoughtless character rendering, the scenery becomes a bland mash of colour and texture, etc. Don't get me wrong, most of the game looks stunning, but it felt that from time to time, they just... didn't care.

And further more, the levels sometimes feel redundant and repititive.

Also, the game can be surmised with this:

Find a Cardkey - Shoot some guys and recieve the Cardkey - Open door - Repeat until you find the boss of so and so level.

And I cannot count how many bosses in this game use incredibly slow moving missiles as their main attack... Over and over again, slow moving missiles to dodge - it gets boring after a while...

The game is also terribly short - it took me around six or so hours the first time... It's packed with extras, but still, I would have rathered to have more missions in the actual game that to have a bounty of extras.

It is with some definate flaws, and sometimes is left me simply wishing to bash the controller into the game, but once you are "acquainted" with these flaws, you are able to work around them. The back-story behind the characters is interesting, no doubt, and allowed me to play the game to the end without any thoughts of the whole process being an ordeal. The twists are somewhat predictable, and it sometimes feels like a regurgitated story, but it has enough aspects to it that will allow most to relate and enjoy. Additionally, once you have the hang of it and are capable of halting the games odd flaws, it's incredibly fun. Within each level there are sub-missions and allow for interesting methods of accruing money and experience and items and the like.

So really, be prepared to be annoyed from time to time due to its blatant flaws, but once you are able to prevent or just "let them go" it's really a fun game, an has enough aspects of an RPG to allow some definate replayabilty. Further more, being able to customize your weapons was an amazing aspect, and I liked it immensly.

It's generally pretty faced paced albeit a few missions and scenes, and the battles are fun and exciting.

As for that of rating, I would give it a low 7 - barely, due to the beforementioned flaws that seem to pervade the gameplay from time to time.

Cid's_Lady_Erin
08-31-2006, 01:45 AM
Storywise I would say it gives nice insight into Vincent and more of the Planet. Gameplayewise I would compare it to Chaos Legion (no one bite my head off for this, it just kind of felt similar to me [I know, they are different games entirely, yes, yes]). Things became pretty routine: run through some fairly straight forward levels, shoot some guys, get keycard, open gate, run through some more straight forward level design, shoot some more guys, keycard, ect. work your way up to a boss or attempt to fulfill certain goals given to you (save people, kill all of a certain enemy, collect all of a certain item), all with item shops distributed frequently enough along, not to mention dropped items, to make there be not too much trouble with your inventory. It's not awful and I found the controls fairly easy (I've played nicely enough with a much trickier camera than the one in DoC which was okay). The only thing I found somewhat annoying was the auto-targeting, which, if not aligned means your shots miss and which tended to pick out one enemy in a tight group and not be quite so persuadable to switch targets (ex. one enemy is a normal soldier, another enemy has a machine gun, auto-target is locked on the normal soldier and the other enemy is your more pressing problem). It's not spectacular and it's simple, yet not so mindlessly easy that it becomes entirely boring.

I'd say it was average gameplaywise and a grade or so above storywise (only because the story didn't spend as focus on the present world situation and the enemy quite so much as it did on Vincent and the past [but then again, the story goal of the game is Vincent and the past, so it does deliver on its objective there nicely enough]). If I weren't an FF fangirl who will buy systems simply for FF, I wouldn't have spent 50 dollars for this game (I can be very cheap, if you're not, then I wouldn't worry about the price). Renting it first is a good idea (I have gotten games I ended up really wishing I had rented first before buying, so renting is a good trial run).

LunarWeaver
08-31-2006, 01:54 AM
I would just rent it, beat it (it will take you about a day), and then buy it when it's like 10 dollars.

TehAnima
08-31-2006, 07:56 AM
I want it because it's like chaos legion and I loved that game

Yliette
09-10-2006, 06:55 AM
But I have to admit, only die-hard FFVII fans will be able to appreciate it. It slightly reeks for a shooter game.

And sadly, the graphics won't be able to compensate. After all it's not the graphocs that make the game.

Neo Blackheart
09-10-2006, 10:05 PM
1. The Graphix of the game are somewhat lame although they do get better toward the end expessially the last 3 or 4 levels in which you do some awsome stuff. [Do not read if you have not beat the game]You get to turn into chaos and get that gun it is awsome. But other than that it is pretty lame.

2. The levels of the game are pretty easy. there is no off to one side route that lets you do something. Like Devil May Cry games do where you go through several times looking for something that is hidden on a roof top or something to that nature. just run straight through. If you loose your way in some stupid way look at the map.

3. The Gun, Gil, and Level systems are pretty good. you get your weapon and build it up. You can go up in levels at the end of each mission or trade in the exp for Gil. The Guns are pretty cool you can make them stronger by buying upgrades.

4. The Cutscenes is the best. If you watched Advent Children it looks like that or better, and there is not to many of them just the right amount and the ones that are are normally awsome to watch

5. Very short play through rented it for a week. Beat Easy, Normal, Hard, And very Hard. and collected most of everything.

IN all if you liked FF VIIs vincent and wondered about him you must get it you will never be in the dark about him again.

the scores
Storyline: 10/10
Game Play 6/10
lenght 3/10
hardness 5/10 (more than likely you will not die)
Total 7/10 (only because of the storyline)

RiseToFall
09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Square-Enix should stick to RPG's and leave the action to other companies like Capcom.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
09-11-2006, 04:26 AM
I bought it 2 days after it was released and beat it 3 days later. I loved the game, and thought it was a good transition from an FF'er to shooter. But, I spent $77.82 on it and a guide, so it was a little painful on the pocketbook for such a short game.

Dignified Pauper
09-11-2006, 04:40 PM
i've heard from many people that this game is terrible.

clunky controls, ordinary moves which are not cool at all like the cutscenes, terrible camera.

mainly, this is for the fanboys.

James16
10-11-2006, 04:10 PM

Ive had it for 2 days now and im already additced to it :)

Only thing i realized yesterday is that the game dosent have that much gameplay time. I beat in 3 da*n days, but now i got the other difficulties to play on i guess....