PDA

View Full Version : PAL games

Xalibar
08-19-2006, 08:34 PM
is there a way to get pal games to work on american(ntsc) systems? like a mod ship or something?

Russielloyd
08-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Probably. Or just import a PAL version console.

What game you want to play?

Xalibar
08-19-2006, 08:38 PM
you mean import a pal system? Guess i could but that sounds expensive. There is a game or two that only came out there that i wanted to have.

Russielloyd
08-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes i meant PAL version console?

What console is it?

Xalibar
08-19-2006, 09:07 PM
the original game i was thinking about is battle arena toshinden 4 for the ps1, but there is another game called shinobido imashime that currently doesn't seem to be getting a american release for ps2 although that might change in the future seeing as it was jus released a couple months ago.

Captain Maxx Power
08-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Why do you want PAL? You American types get all the games before us anyway.

JKTrix
08-19-2006, 09:29 PM
I really don't think it's worth considering modifying your system for just that game. Research a piece of software called 'Swap Magic', and the 'Slide Tool' that should come with it (or something else if you have a slim PS2). I use this on my PS2 for a few of the imported games I have.

Shinobido Imashime (Way of the Ninja) seems like it will be making its way to international territories, but dates haven't been set. When the game's official website is in English (http://www.shinobido.com/eng/summary.html), it's a pretty good sign.

Russielloyd
08-19-2006, 09:32 PM
I really don't think it's worth considering modifying your system for just that game. Research a piece of software called 'Swap Magic', and the 'Slide Tool' that should come with it (or something else if you have a slim PS2). I use this on my PS2 for a few of the imported games I have.

Shinobido Imashime (Way of the Ninja) seems like it will be making its way to international territories, but dates haven't been set. When the game's official website is in English (http://www.shinobido.com/eng/summary.html), it's a pretty good sign.

Do American NTSC games work on PAL consoles with the PAL version of swap magic? I have 3.6.

JKTrix
08-19-2006, 09:53 PM
I don't see why not. If you import Japanese games for PAL, US games shouldn't be any different (they're both NTSC).
I think the Swap Magic software is exactly the same, just the initial encoding is different so it will work on the particular console region it's coded for.

Roto13
08-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Remember, handhelds are region free. B)

Russielloyd
08-19-2006, 11:41 PM
So i could buy FF12 now from Japan, use Swap magic, and im playing?

Dreddz
08-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Swap Magic requires you to open the guts of your PS2, disc swapping is annoying, its MUCH easier to just chip your PS2.

Xalibar
08-20-2006, 04:09 AM
maxx power: Battle arena toshinden 4 wasn't released in the US.

And shinobido site is in english but thats because there are english pal territories. Currentlythere is no release for america but like i said its recently new, and that might change.

So what is the difference between swap magic, disc swapping and chip? What do you have to do for them? Do all let you play PAL games on american systems?

Dreddz
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Swap magic is disc swapping. Swap Magic is when you put a boot disc into your PS2, to swap the discs there are two methods. A slide-card which I dont not recommend, it in most cases will break your PS2 CDtray. Theres another which is more safe, you put on another shell for your PS2 which enables to you to swap the discs without opening the CD tray. Opening the CD tray will enable the region coding to work.

Chipping your PS2 is easier as you dont have to faff around with your PS2, chipping totally overrides the region coding and you are able to play games as normal.

Just be sure that your TV can handle a PAL signal.

Endless
08-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Swap Magic requires you to open the guts of your PS2, disc swapping is annoying, its MUCH easier to just chip your PS2.

I'm curious about the trick you use to modchip your ps2 without opening it.

Xalibar
08-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Swap magic is disc swapping. Swap Magic is when you put a boot disc into your PS2, to swap the discs there are two methods. A slide-card which I dont not recommend, it in most cases will break your PS2 CDtray. Theres another which is more safe, you put on another shell for your PS2 which enables to you to swap the discs without opening the CD tray. Opening the CD tray will enable the region coding to work.

Chipping your PS2 is easier as you dont have to faff around with your PS2, chipping totally overrides the region coding and you are able to play games as normal.

How do you know if your tv can handle a pal signal?

Dreddz
08-20-2006, 03:00 PM
It should say on your TV manual if it can or not, check the internet as well.

I'm curious about the trick you use to modchip your ps2 without opening it.
You have to open your PS2 to put the chip in place, after that, you wont have to open your PS2 again, Disc Swapping requires you to open your PS2 every time you want to play an import.

Russielloyd
08-20-2006, 03:00 PM

How do you know if your tv can handle a pal signal?

Games give the the oprion to test this at the start of the game or in its options. Only game that i got that does this is Pro Evolution Soccer 5.

Xalibar
08-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Dreddz, is the chip your talking about only for playing japanese games on american or does it work for pal as well? or do you not know?

Endless
08-21-2006, 07:32 AM
You have to open your PS2 to put the chip in place, after that, you wont have to open your PS2 again, Disc Swapping requires you to open your PS2 every time you want to play an import.

And probably do a bit of soldering to put the chip. If you mess up, bye bye ps2. I use the Magic3+, and all I had to do to prepare my ps2 was to turn it off with the tray open, unscrew 2 or 3 screws, remove the plastic cover, put the one that came with the slide tool, rescrew. When I want to play an import, I do the swap trick + slide tool which only requires to open the tray.

Dreddz
08-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Dreddz, is the chip your talking about only for playing japanese games on american or does it work for pal as well? or do you not know?

Theres various chips but they'll all allow you to play every game from every region.

And probably do a bit of soldering to put the chip. If you mess up, bye bye ps2. I use the Magic3+, and all I had to do to prepare my ps2 was to turn it off with the tray open, unscrew 2 or 3 screws, remove the plastic cover, put the one that came with the slide tool, rescrew. When I want to play an import, I do the swap trick + slide tool which only requires to open the tray.

Most people dont do it themselves, they'd give it to someone else to do. I did mine, but strictly following a guide. You cant really say that using a slide-tool is better as that is proven to be really bad for your PS2. In the long run, chipping your PS2 saves time.

JKTrix
08-21-2006, 04:25 PM
If you do a lot of importing, chipping it would be healthier for your system. If you can get someone to do it for you, then go for it. If you're only going to be importing one game, the Swap Magic + Slide Tool might be more practical and cost effective. You don't have to worry so much about the 'Long Run', because you probably won't be using the tool 1000 times to play one game.

So i could buy FF12 now from Japan, use Swap magic, and im playing?

You can, but don't. I won't buy any RPGs like Final Fantasy that are in a different language, because I actually want to know what's going on. I don't know enough Japanese to even watch one unsubbed anime, let alone 80 hours of Squenix. It's a different experience having the explained in the game than it is to read the story synopsis somewhere else. Plus, the game is out here in a couple of months.

Most people (the sensible ones) get RPGs for the story. If you don't speak the language of the story...then what's the point? Sure the cutscenes are pretty, but if you just want to see the cutscenes, that's what YouTube is for. If you wanted to check out the Gameplay, then buy Dragon Quest 8. Not only do you get a top quality game, it comes with a demo of FF12. DQ8 & YouTube should be enough to tide you over until the game comes out on Hallowe'en, but then again if you YouTube it you'll be spoiling the story. You won't understand what's happening, but you'll see what's happening. ("What? Why did he just stab him!? I thought they were friends! Isn't he the main character!? I don't understand!!!!!")

Russielloyd
08-21-2006, 05:07 PM
You can, but don't. I won't buy any RPGs like Final Fantasy that are in a different language, because I actually want to know what's going on. I don't know enough Japanese to even watch one unsubbed anime, let alone 80 hours of Squenix. It's a different experience having the explained in the game than it is to read the story synopsis somewhere else. Plus, the game is out here in a couple of months.

Most people (the sensible ones) get RPGs for the story. If you don't speak the language of the story...then what's the point? Sure the cutscenes are pretty, but if you just want to see the cutscenes, that's what YouTube is for. If you wanted to check out the Gameplay, then buy Dragon Quest 8. Not only do you get a top quality game, it comes with a demo of FF12. DQ8 & YouTube should be enough to tide you over until the game comes out on Hallowe'en, but then again if you YouTube it you'll be spoiling the story. You won't understand what's happening, but you'll see what's happening. ("What? Why did he just stab him!? I thought they were friends! Isn't he the main character!? I don't understand!!!!!")

Yeah, i know that, i was just using as an example, i always play the game for the story. I mean my first play throughs on a final fantasy game is always crap because i only really want to know what the story is. It's only about the 3rd time that i try to do eveything and basically ignore the story after that, then show everyone i'm the best :p haha

Xalibar
08-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Dreddz: Do you know some sites where i can get the chips?

EDIT: Found the mod chip site. anyone have a receommendations on which one is good? I notice that there is also something called slim kit that says you don't need to open your ps2 like you do with the mod chip.

Xalibar
09-04-2006, 01:55 AM
sorry to bump this, but my tv doesn't support the pal signal and i heard that there are converters or adapters and such that you can use to have it support pal. Does anyone know if they are usable with your playstation so you can play a pal game on it. I'm trying to play a psone game one it but there aren't any ps1 swap discs that have an option to change the signal to pal.