PDA

View Full Version : Guns 'n' Roses Or Velvet Revolver?

NorthernChaosGod
08-19-2006, 10:27 PM
In light of the recent Rage Agaisnt the Machine or Audioslave thread, I got the idea for this one.

Simple, who do you think is better/like better, Guns 'n' Roses Or Velvet Revolver?

Discussion about Stone Temple Pilots welcome also.

Venom
08-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Velvet revolver.:cool:

Mythra
08-19-2006, 10:52 PM
I would have to agree with Arucard and say Velvet Revolver. They were the ones that got me into Pink Floyd (did a cover of Wish You Were Here at a concert and I was hooked on the Floyd ever since). Plus I just like their music better than Guns n Roses.

Resha
08-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Guns 'n' Roses.

I Am Stoner
08-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Guns and Roses. The song "sweet child of mine" was the song I asked my second girlfriend out to. Man, what a corny night that was. But, so yea, Guns and Roses.

Mitch
08-19-2006, 11:31 PM
I dont like either but VR are less overindulgent

Meat Puppet
08-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Mitch pretty much summed it up for me. I dislike them both, but if I had to choose—Velvet Revolver.

I Took the Red Pill
08-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Guns 'N Roses because they rocked more and Axl Rose is clearly the greatest anagram ever.

licence
08-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Guns 'N Roses.

Velvet Revolver are ok though.

Fuego
08-20-2006, 04:19 AM
I am not well versed in VR ... but i prefer G'n'R and STP to VR any day :p

NorthernChaosGod
08-21-2006, 05:24 AM
i prefer G'n'R and STP to VR any day :p

Same here. I don't know what is up with bands breaking up and combing with parts of other band, but they are never as good as the original.

Nominus Experse
08-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Guns n' Roses are most likely to be hailed as being better, and in many cases, they are. I am completely aware of this, and accept it, but I find myself enjoying Velvet Revolver more than that of Guns n' Roses.

I love how Guns n' Roses played a gritty kind of rock when compared to all of the hair metal and glam rock that was so present when Guns n' Roses first emerged. They have a sound that is interesting as it has it that I can hear different things each and every time I listen to most songs due to the underlying elements of a complex guitar and Axl's voice and lead guitar.

The one thing I did not like about Guns n' Roses is that the band itself seemed to fragment, and even now, Axl is the only orignal member left. Add this to how Axl acted, and reacted, during concerts, before, during, and after. I have some issues with bands that will not play simply because someone feels that it's not worth it, or not conveniant, or just annoyed by certain things the fans are doing. He seemed... a little too much. I didn't like that particular aspect about Guns n' Roses, namely Axl himself.

And with Velvet Revolver, it shares certain aspects that are the same. most likely due to the fact that three of the original members of Guns n' Roses are now in Velvet Revolver. However, it is definately different than Guns n' Roses - basically, its readily apparent as to who and what you are listening to. But some elements are there all the same.

What I really appreciate about Velvet Revolver, though, is that it, just like Guns n' Roses, it brought particular aspects of rock back into the mainstream. Another aspect of Velvet Revolver that I find to my liking is that there songs have a definate replayability to them, just like Guns n' Roses. However, I just like the "sound" that Velvet Revolver has when compared to Guns n' Roses. Slither comes to mind, as does Set Me Free. Although I enjoy signature songs from Guns n' Roses, Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine, I simply find myself liking Velvet Revolver more.

So in the end, Guns n' Roses, are going to be widely hailed as the better band due to their novelty and energizing stage performances - and lack thereof. I simply find myself listening to more Velvet Revolver than Guns n' Roses, however, though I cannot exactly place the reason and words as to why that is so.

It is my opinion that Velvet Revolver has a better sound, but I know that the vast majority of those both here and not would consider my opinion to be very... wrong, for lack of a better word.