PDA

View Full Version : David Eddings!!

ValkyrieWing
08-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Anyone else like this author????

Thorn
08-20-2006, 03:24 AM
Hell yes! I use his character names for Internet Nicknames EVERYWHERE. Besides this forum ofcourse.

My favourite of belgariad is Enchanters End game.
My favourite of Mallorean is Guardians of the west.
I prefer Belgarath the sorcerer over polgara the sorcererss (two spin off books)
Ive read the diamonthrone of the elnium.
Ive read the first two of his other series..I forgot what theyre called. Had a wierd name. But it had longbow, hookbeak, narassan and other characters n it.

Belgariad is easily my favourite series. Torak has to be the best villain ever. My favourite characters are Torak, Silk, Belgarath, Mandorellen and Garion. Characters I hate....well..I only hate Polgara.
Best place is...probally Mallorea, then tolnedra.
Worst place is probally sendaria...so boring. With the cliche "farmer people".
Worst god is chaldin, has like 0 dialogue in the book.

and thats all.

ValkyrieWing
08-20-2006, 04:48 AM
The series you're talking about is The Elder Gods, and it's his newest one.

Elenium (diamond throne, ruby knight, sapphire rose) is probably my favorite.

God, I LOVE the Belgariad and the Elenium! My favorite characters are probably Durnik and Garion in the Belgariad, and 'Zakath and Cyradis in the Mallorean.

Why didn't you like Polgara?

Resha
08-20-2006, 04:52 AM
Oh yes! I used to LOVE his Belgariad and Mallorean, but when I started reading the Tamuli and the Elenium, I kinda realised that all his series were...similar. :p His characters always have a similar quality about them, they're all quite dry and sarcastic. I sorta stopped reading the Tamuli midway, and I never finished.

ValkyrieWing
08-20-2006, 05:03 AM
That's a shame.

And you're right, all of his characters are similar, but I LIKE that in an author. I like that his people are very realistic. When Sparhawk is talking, I think to myself, "yes, he sounds like someone I know". And besides, Sparhawk's a badass. ^_^

So is Mirtai, for that matter. ^__^

Thorn
08-20-2006, 06:55 AM
The series you're talking about is The Elder Gods, and it's his newest one.

Elenium (diamond throne, ruby knight, sapphire rose) is probably my favorite.

God, I LOVE the Belgariad and the Elenium! My favorite characters are probably Durnik and Garion in the Belgariad, and 'Zakath and Cyradis in the Mallorean.

Why didn't you like Polgara?

I don't like her because she almost never is out've character. She always the intimidating, bossy, blue dressed beautiful sorcerer. All she ever says is "wise choice" or "you were saying?" with a Challenging look.

Resha
08-20-2006, 01:56 PM
That's a shame.

And you're right, all of his characters are similar, but I LIKE that in an author. I like that his people are very realistic. When Sparhawk is talking, I think to myself, "yes, he sounds like someone I know". And besides, Sparhawk's a badass. ^_^

So is Mirtai, for that matter. ^__^

Oh, but I still love his books. :) The Belgariad and the Mallorean especially. Sparhawk is pretty darn cool xD I like their sarcastic edge, that most of the characters have, and it was funny'n all, but after four series it just got a little old.

Arrianna
08-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I loved the Belgariad, Mallorian, and Elenium. The Tamuli wasn't bad but I stopped reading after that because I was tired of reading the same story again.

Yes, Sparkawk is my favorite. Down to earth, blunt, the perfect protagonist.

ValkyrieWing
08-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Actually, my favorite way Tynian. He was such a wiseass. :P

Picked up Belgarath the Sorcerer and POlgara the Sorceress today!

Yeah...Polgara was WAY to stiff. What did Durnik see in her???

Peter_20
08-21-2006, 08:17 AM
The only thing that bothered me was that everyone always shrugged their shoulders. :p

Thorn
08-21-2006, 08:23 AM
I guess you gotta understand, that its probally hard to write 10 books (belgariad/Mallorean) and not repeat yourself a bit. I need to read like LOTR and see if JR.Tolkein repeats himself.

Peter_20
08-21-2006, 11:24 AM
I guess you gotta understand, that its probally hard to write 10 books (belgariad/Mallorean) and not repeat yourself a bit. I need to read like LOTR and see if JR.Tolkein repeats himself.Well, kind of. :p
In the beginning it was all about the evil Morgoth and the War of the Jewels.
Then suddenly, there was the evil Sauron and the War of the Rings. :D

Thorn
08-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Heheh everyone knows Eddings copies Tolkien. It's pretty hard not to. Bastard.

K-chan
08-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Heh... currently reading the last book in the Elenium. It's alright, but I really loved the book "The Redemption of Althalus". I think that's how it's spelled. Anywho, the book itself is actually pretty cute, in the quirky humor kinda way. ^^ ()

ValkyrieWing
08-22-2006, 04:30 AM
I liked Redemption...it had a different feel that the others.

But...it does seem all his books are about god-killing...?

Chibi Youkai
08-22-2006, 04:53 AM
I noticed that too. Redemtion of Althalus is by far my favourite book, and the Elenium is my favourite series. Didn't like the Tamuli as much, because the Elenium ended so well, and it just didn't feel the same. Same with the Belgariad and the Mallorian.

And who doesn't love Sparhawk?

ValkyrieWing
08-22-2006, 07:03 AM
I DO!! XD

Elenium remains my favorite. Sephrenia was an amazing character.

Kossage
08-23-2006, 10:56 PM
I liked and still like reading Eddings's fantasy books. The first books of his I read were the Belgariad and the Mallorean, and one that I really liked was <i>Belgarath the Sorcerer</i> (although that book about Polgara wasn't bad either). I also enjoyed reading the Elenium and the Tamuli. Many people I know hated <i>The Redemption of Althalus</i>, and even though it did get repetivive in terms of plots Eddings tends to use, I still liked it and its characterization and narration. Eddings and his wife have this nice style of writing, and I've enjoyed reading about the stuff they've written even though they tend to recycle certain themes and characters in their stories. :)

ValkyrieWing
08-25-2006, 05:30 AM
"The Exarch of the Grey Robes hath caught mine eye, dearest daddy. I want him. Give him to me."

XD

I like how Eddings can write in High Style and not get confused. I know -I- got confused reading it.

fantasyjunkie
08-25-2006, 06:34 AM
The only thing that bothered me was that everyone always shrugged their shoulders. :p

oh this is so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the Belgariad(I've read it at least 5 times) and the Elenium but everyone does shrug their shoulders. Or every person that hears soemthing interesting their eyes narrow :D My favorite character out of all of his books is Sparhawk. He was such a down to earth guy.