PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

Rostum
08-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Can anyone tell me a good wireless router (or wireless ADSL modem), that's good for use in an apartment? I currently have an old Netgear, which can't even drag it's signal into the room next to it.

I guess the most common brands I know of are Netgear, Netcomm, Belkin, D-Link, and Linksys. I've seen some nice ones from Belkin and Netcomm, but I'm really not sure.

Any help would be greatful.

Hawkeye
08-20-2006, 08:48 AM
I have used Linksys, and it has caused me no problems.

Rostum
08-20-2006, 09:53 AM
But are you subject to heavy interference? I know there are a few very powerful wireless routers that can cut through the most intense interference, but I'm not quite sure what is the best.

Money isn't much of an issue either.

G SpOtZ
08-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I use D-Link right now, and it's decent... Yeah, only decent. The problem with it is, if you lose connection or the power goes out, simply resetting the router doesn't do anything... you might have to go through the step-by-step process of re-installing the router to your network, and re-configuring the IP address... however, I've only had to do that a few times, and I'm not even sure of some of those times were necessary. It's easy and doesn't take long, but it's more of a pain in the ass than just resetting it.

Samuraid
08-21-2006, 04:41 AM
You can generally get any major brand (Linksys, DLink, Netgear, Belkin) and they will all work roughly the same on average.

I generally prefer Linksys simply because it is owned by Cisco and has the best interface and configuration options; but you will probably get decent performance from any of the above.

If you want better signal strength, the best choice is often to buy and attach a better antenna.

Flying Mullet
08-21-2006, 02:19 PM
In regards to interference and signal strength, keep a couple of things in mind:

If you have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone in your house, you will lose strength if you are ever on the phone and wireless internet at the same time. Wireless routers/cards run on a 2.4 GHz frequency as well and they can compete for "bandwidth" if you're also on the phone when you are on the computer. In my house, the wireless router and cordless phone base are 10 feet away from each other, which normally causes no problems. But if I work at the other end of my house and get on a phone call with the cordless phone, my internet goes down to a crawl as the phone and the internet are competing, which usually results in the phone winning. As soon as I hang up, presto, my internet is back up to high-speed for my laptop.

Also, some home appliances can cause issues with your router's signal, such as microwaves, and phone bases, as stated above. So if you have your router next to a microwave or cordless phone base, there's a good chance that the signal is degrading because of the appliance that is next to it.

rubah
08-21-2006, 11:14 PM
As I found out, the difference between a router that is capable of B and G modes transmitting in B and G and just transmitting in G is that the latter doesn't seem to have as pathetic a signal (thanks to sam for suggesting that xD)
So keep that in mind, because it will make a difference.

Rostum
08-22-2006, 02:21 AM
So a router just transmitting G will work a lot better than one that transmits both B and G?

Also, I was thinking about Netgear again, even though I've had such a bad experience with the current one (it is a couple of years old I think). Here's the link to the one I was thinking about:

http://www.cnet.com.au/wireless/routers/0,39028894,40060784,00.htm

o_O
08-22-2006, 05:42 AM
I use D-Link right now, and it's decent... Yeah, only decent. The problem with it is, if you lose connection or the power goes out, simply resetting the router doesn't do anything... you might have to go through the step-by-step process of re-installing the router to your network, and re-configuring the IP address... however, I've only had to do that a few times, and I'm not even sure of some of those times were necessary. It's easy and doesn't take long, but it's more of a pain in the ass than just resetting it.

That's not normal. I work with D-Link routers a lot, and if you need to reconfigure IPs every time the signal drops, you should probably consider setting a static IP in your OS.

As for router recommendations, Linksys is probably the best for a home network. Belkin are better routers, as they have the greatest range and superior resistance to interference, but cost a bit more. If you wanted to go cheaper still, I'd go for D-Link.

rubah
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Baloki is hammering on about something about switching a frequency channel and won't leave me alone until I post saying it.

Flying Mullet
08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
What's the Frequency KennethBaloki?

bipper
08-23-2006, 04:07 PM
If you have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone in your house, you will lose strength if you are ever on the phone and wireless internet at the same time. Wireless routers/cards run on a 2.4 GHz frequency as well and they can compete for "bandwidth" if you're also on the phone when you are on the computer. In my house, the wireless router and cordless phone base are 10 feet away from each other, which normally causes no problems. But if I work at the other end of my house and get on a phone call with the cordless phone, my internet goes down to a crawl as the phone and the internet are competing, which usually results in the phone winning. As soon as I hang up, presto, my internet is back up to high-speed for my laptop.

Target stores actually had a problem with this. They rolled out a new cordless phone system that runs at 2.4 GHZ and yet they have wireless access points all over the store. It is worth noting that this peice of information is not nearly noted enough. So note it.

Rostum
08-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Trust me, I've attempted to change the frequency and channel of the router, but it didn't work. Even the guy at Netgear gave me the advice and steps to do so -- so I just blame it on being 2 years old.

bipper
08-25-2006, 03:44 PM
can you use a coat hanger to increase your signal like on the ghetto TV of the 80s? :confused:

Rye
08-25-2006, 03:52 PM
I have linksys, and besides having to restart my router (basically, just pressing a button, takes 3 seconds) every few days, I have no problems with it. :) I think router restarting is something that you need to do with every router though.

abrojtm
08-25-2006, 04:19 PM
I have linksys here, and it causes me few problems. If it ever needs to be reset, I can generally do it remotely from my laptop anyway.

Samuraid
08-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Upgrading the firmware will sometimes fix problems like that. :)