PDA

View Full Version : Can I play PSX/PS1 games on PS2?

Dell
08-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Can I? If yes, how?

crono_logical
08-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Yes, put the game in the tray as normal :p You can't save though unless you have a PS1 memory card :p Personally I'd put PS1 games in my PC these days and use an emulator instead :p

Dell
08-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Yes, put the game in the tray as normal :p You can't save though unless you have a PS1 memory card :p Personally I'd put PS1 games in my PC these days and use an emulator instead :p

I've tried it but I get my memory card screen (The one where you can copy or delete data) instead.

strawberryman
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
From my experience, the PS2 doesn't read PS memory cards, so you end up having to play a game without saving... :/

Dunno if this is just me, or.

Slicksword45
08-21-2006, 04:53 PM
From my experience, the PS2 doesn't read PS memory cards, so you end up having to play a game without saving... :/

Dunno if this is just me, or.

That must be just you. it might be the problem of a third party mem. card. I have all Sony cards and they work fine on the PS2

Dell
08-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe you guys get it wrong. I mean when I insert PS1/PSX CD, I get the memory card screen (*SEE MY PREVIOUS POST*) instead of the game screen.

Roto13
08-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Or it could be yet another problem of poor quality Sony hardware.

Clout, what emulator do you use?

Sylvie
08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
PSXe is my favorite, roto.

Shoeberto
08-21-2006, 06:25 PM
PSXe is my favorite, roto.
ePSXe, or is it some other thing?

Sylvie
08-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah, thats it. ePSXe.

Araciel
08-22-2006, 02:47 PM
psxeven is a bit better

o_O
08-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Maybe you guys get it wrong. I mean when I insert PS1/PSX CD, I get the memory card screen (*SEE MY PREVIOUS POST*) instead of the game screen.

That means your disc is corrupt. It can't read the disc, so it boots you into the browser instead. Try resurfacing it; you can get resurfacing kits pretty cheap these days.

bipper
08-23-2006, 04:24 AM

That means your disc is corrupt. It can't read the disc, so it boots you into the browser instead. Try resurfacing it; you can get resurfacing kits pretty cheap these days.

Most game/video rental shops will do it for like a buck. Or use the toothpaste trick. Plain white toothpased applied in a circular patterna around the disk. Wipe it off with a hardly damp wash cloth. If you have any questions, ask HSU. He posted a damn good guide one time, and I am far too lazy to work out the wording.

Bipper :p

Carl the Llama
08-23-2006, 04:29 PM
with reguards to the PS2 not reading 3rd party memory cards its only in the menu that they dont read them if you want to see whats on the memory card is to have a game like Abes Exodus which can read and delete the saves on your non sony memory card, you can still use the memory card to save your games just that the PS2 wont read your card (prolly a scam to get people useing sony memory cards)

Fire_Emblem776
08-23-2006, 05:21 PM
psxeven is a bit better

Lies :P

And i have a non-sony memory card and it works fine.:D

Dell
08-23-2006, 06:57 PM

I can't pick up.....

The disc tray or the game disc itself?

I try to read my PS2 compatible software and:
Playstation format CD-ROMs that have the Playstation logo and the NTSC/J designation. Does this affect something?

Psydekick
08-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Strange because this is all i have to do, it might just be the disc maybe?

Mirage
08-23-2006, 08:25 PM

I can't pick up.....

Playstation format CD-ROMs that have the Playstation logo and the NTSC/J designation. Does this affect something?
Your disc, clearly.
You should get an error message if the region is incorrect.

Dell
08-24-2006, 06:54 AM

I can't pick up.....

Your disc, clearly.

Error message like what?

Erdrick Holmes
08-24-2006, 01:23 PM
How old is your PS2?

Dell
08-27-2006, 12:55 PM
How old is your PS2?

August 2006 - January 2006 = 6-8 months

I read all the guides given and I found this: The console can only play discs with the NTSC / J designation. Discs marked with NTSC / U/C , NTSC / C or PAL cannot be played (This includes PS2 games). But I can play PS2 PAL, NTSC / U/C and NTSC / C games.
Don't tell me I can't........I refused to accept the truth!!:mad:

Araciel
08-29-2006, 03:18 AM
psxeven is a bit better

well all i know is the fmvs in ff9 used to crash in the other emulator and this one works just fine, hence the bit better

o_O
08-29-2006, 03:39 AM
psxeven is a bit better

well all i know is the fmvs in ff9 used to crash in the other emulator and this one works just fine, hence the bit better

That's probably because FFIX requires a patch to be emulated correctly. :p

Mirage
08-30-2006, 11:15 AM

I can't pick up.....

Your disc, clearly.

Error message like what?

I don't remember. You'd definitely know if you got it.

o_O
08-31-2006, 01:56 AM
If I try to run my NTSC Xenosaga on my PAL PS2, it comes up with a screen similar to the boot screen, except it has a red cloud in the backgraound, and has the text "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc."
That's the same message you get if you put an Xbox disc in - as far as the PS2 is concerned, the disc is for a different console.

xXxRinoa HeartillyxXx
08-31-2006, 02:07 AM
I also have a problem. Well question I suppose.

Does a PS1 mem card work on a PS2 cuz I've been FF8 through again and I can't save on a PS2 one and I keep getting a game over whenever I reah the end of disc one.

So does a PS1 game work on a PS2 mem card? [I'm playing a PS1 game in a PS2 of course!!]

XxSephirothxX
08-31-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah, you have to use a PS1 memory card for PS1 games. It'll fit in the slot just fine. And you can transfer save files from a PS1 card to a PS2 for backup or safekeeping, but you can only save/load from a PS1 memory card.

xXxRinoa HeartillyxXx
08-31-2006, 02:26 AM
Yeah, you have to use a PS1 memory card for PS1 games. It'll fit in the slot just fine. And you can transfer save files from a PS1 card to a PS2 for backup or safekeeping, but you can only save/load from a PS1 memory card.

Ok, thankies!!!!!!

o_O
08-31-2006, 03:14 AM
I also have a problem. Well question I suppose.

Does a PS1 mem card work on a PS2 cuz I've been FF8 through again and I can't save on a PS2 one and I keep getting a game over whenever I reah the end of disc one.

So does a PS1 game work on a PS2 mem card? [I'm playing a PS1 game in a PS2 of course!!]

When you reach the end of disc one, does it just go to the game over screen, or do you turn it off because the memory card isn't working?
It shouldn't give you a game over at all; you may also have a corrupt disc.

Mirage
08-31-2006, 09:38 AM

Yes, that is because PS1 games do not understand the file system used on PS2 memorycards.

Taverian
09-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Clarifying the information here please....

FF7 for ps1 will work on ps2 system but would need a ps1 memory card to be able to save?

Mirage
09-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Yes, because FF7 (and all other PS1 games, FF8 can actually detect them, but not access them) can not read the file system used on PS2 memory cards.