PDA

View Full Version : What does NTSC and PAL mean?

Prancing Mad
08-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah so in reference to games, what does NTSC mean and stand for? What does PAL stand for?

Maxico
08-21-2006, 12:09 PM
http://www.pixela-1.com/images_new/Cable_NTSC_PAL_SECAM_map.jpg

TV standards.

A PAL signal will not work on most NTSC televisions and vice versa.

SECAM is strange and french so I don't know much about it.

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
08-21-2006, 12:10 PM
i dont know what they mean but i europe all the games are PAL and they only work with PAL consoles.
i suppose NTSC is the same but a different reigon.

Madame Adequate
08-21-2006, 01:20 PM
They are different methods of TV operation, to do with number of refreshes, lines drawn per second, jazz like that. PAL, NTSC, and SECAM (Among others) are used in different parts of the world. I don't know what it's like today, but I've never had trouble getting hold of an all-region TV.

Captain Maxx Power
08-21-2006, 02:37 PM
To answer his actual question, PAL stands for phase alternation line, while NTSC stands for National Television Systems Committee.

starseeker
08-21-2006, 06:45 PM
PAL is 625 lines at 50Hz (25 frames a second)

NTSC is 525 lines at 60Hz (30 frames a second)

Xalibar
08-21-2006, 06:47 PM
They are different methods of TV operation, to do with number of refreshes, lines drawn per second, jazz like that. PAL, NTSC, and SECAM (Among others) are used in different parts of the world. I don't know what it's like today, but I've never had trouble getting hold of an all-region TV.

Where would you get an all region tv? How do you know if it is?

Maxico
08-21-2006, 06:49 PM
I sometimes get the feeling, at times like this, that Wikipedia has cheapened the value of information.

starseeker
08-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Where would you get an all region tv? How do you know if it is?

Plasma TVs don't have cathode ray tubes so they're unaffected. (I think)
I live in a PAL region and have seen Plasma TVs that are 'NTSC compatible' on sale.

KentaRawr!
08-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't know about NTSC, but Pal is Arthur's dog.