PDA

View Full Version : Sepiroth thoughts.

42manZ
08-22-2006, 02:15 AM
I played (and beat) FF7 about a month ago for the first time.
I thought it was agreat game except for one part. Spiroth.
People are always giving him great praise about how bad-ass he was.
I felt diferently about it. I thought he was only thought he was slightly cool. NOTE: By slightly cool I meant a huge wussy. He looked like a nerd, he stabbed a GRIL from behind. I mean come on, he's a big wimp.

Zeromus_X
08-22-2006, 02:18 AM
omg! People like Sephiroth! He must be overrated! :cat:

Ugh, god, okay. We get it.

Personally, I thought Sephiroth was an okay villain. All you really need to cook one up these days is a fascinating weapon and inherent nihilism anyway.

42manZ
08-22-2006, 02:20 AM

Personally, I thought Sephiroth was an okay villain. All you really need to cook one up these days is a fascinating weapon and inherent nihilism anyway.

Are you kidding me, my 3 year old cousin, is a better villan then him. Sepiroth was a pansy obsessed over his mom (who was a giant freak BTW)

Zeromus_X
08-22-2006, 02:23 AM
No, I'm not kidding. That's my opinion. I suppose you have an opinion too, albeit a not very well-supported one. :cat:

Edit: And Jenova killed Aerith anyway. Although she was controlled by Sephiroth from a distance and took on his appearance.

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 02:26 AM
If your going to talk about someone/thing please... spell the name remotely correct

He looked like a nerd
...ok.... wow thats the worst insult I've ever heard

he stabbed a GRIL from behind. I mean come on, he's a big wimp.
He stabbed a gril from behind! The poor cooking tool!
So you'd prefer him to go up to her and cut off her head?
Same result she dies. And by saying that are you implying that girls can't fight? Because I've seen a girl kick a guys ass!
Also the post you posted to Zeromus has no relivence what so ever... and that obessed about his mom you must have paid very little attention to the story to not understand that part.

Please think before you post (and spell check that would be nice).

42manZ
08-22-2006, 02:29 AM
When I said that he stabbed a girl from behind, I meant that he had no class. And going into class, the only woman that Sepiroth cared for was his mutant mother. Which is kind of kreepy if you think about it.

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 02:35 AM
*Sigh* (My thoughts on Sephiroth-CORRECT SPELLING OF SEPHIROTH!)

He killed her from behind for a reason so Cloud could see him do it, see it coming but be able to do nothing to stop him. By going from behind Cloud knew what he should have done but didn't do anything. His game plan was to mess with Cloud's head.

And also his mutant mother remark...
How many Villians cared about a girl? He wanted Jenova for power. He controls Jenova (which explains why you fight Jenova because Sephiroth needed someone to fight you so he sicks mother on you).

Kefka_Almighty
08-22-2006, 03:01 AM

Which, admittedly, Sephiroth was the one to really start that idea of how a villain should be made in gear.

I do agree with you, though, that Sephiroth was an okay villain. I don't think he was a badass OR a wussy, I just basically thought he was....well, the antagonist. I don't know why, but that's the only way to really put it. He just kind of did his thing and you went after him for it.

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 03:04 AM

Which, admittedly, Sephiroth was the one to really start that idea of how a villain should be made in gear.

I do agree with you, though, that Sephiroth was an okay villain. I don't think he was a badass OR a wussy, I just basically thought he was....well, the antagonist. I don't know why, but that's the only way to really put it. He just kind of did his thing and you went after him for it.
He's not my favorite villian either (Kuja's the best!) I just hate when we have people who are either fanboys or people like the one here who will just try and make things up on how horrible someone/thing is.

Kefka_Almighty
08-22-2006, 03:08 AM
I agree completely, but it's unstoppable; people will basically complain about anything given the chance, and there'll be people with such strong convictions that they'll post it anyway. NO offense to you who started this post, or anyone else who does it, but it IS exceedingly immature and, while I myself probably have fallen into that before, I try to limit myself from doing such.

Back on topic:

My favorite villain is probably obvious, but that's neither here nor there. While I never really thought Sephiroth was "cool", per se, there were two things I loved about him: Masamune and Super Nova. YOu have to admit, he had some pretty sweet gear and attacks....

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 03:12 AM
1 problem with Super Nova... he kind of kills himself :laugh:
But if he's ever about to lose he knows he could just use Super Nova and destoy the Solar System!

G SpOtZ
08-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Jenova is not Sephiroth's real mother.

Sephiroth is a crazed maniac, who thinks he knows what's goin on, but he really doesn't. This is why I think he's a great villain, and a "badass". He was cold, he was cool about everything (except for some points with his maniacal laugh), and had a super long sword. He took a giant f***ing snaked and hung it on a giant f***king tree, or whatever the hell that was.

Some people just disagree for the sake of "being different"... You all know he's badass and you all truly love him.

Kefka_Almighty
08-22-2006, 03:27 AM

Sephiroth is a crazed maniac, who thinks he knows what's goin on, but he really doesn't. This is why I think he's a great villain, and a "badass". He was cold, he was cool about everything (except for some points with his maniacal laugh), and had a super long sword. He took a giant f***ing snaked and hung it on a giant f***king tree, or whatever the hell that was.

Some people just disagree for the sake of "being different"... You all know he's badass and you all truly love him.

Actually, I think he probably KNEW Jenova wasn't his real mother. Gast would have had to have mentioned Lucrecia somewhere in all the books he read and the reports Gast had written that he went through. Sephiroth probably just ignored that and merely chose to view Jenova as his mother as justification to view himself as a higher being and to do what he had intended to do, as shoddy as his justification was.

I take it you mean the Midgar Zolom, and he didn't hang it on a tree, he IMPALED that sucker. And while that was cool, what did that really say to the characters other than "Lookee, I can kill a monster like it's nobodies business! Though, maybe, I should've left it to get rid of you........oh well....". Sephiroth WAS cool to an extent, but I don't thing having merely killed a Zolom was that impressive. But like I said earlier, you have to love Masamune. :love: <--What I feel for Masamune

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 03:30 AM
Off topic for 1 second... Kefka is clearly your favorite villian but I haven't been able to play the game:cry:. Is their any way to get FFVI without finding an old nintendo system and the orignal?
I really wanna play this game!

Kefka_Almighty
08-22-2006, 03:35 AM
It'll be coming out to GBA in a few months, so your best bet would be to wait for that. Otherwise, you can try to find a copy for the PSX remake, but you may or may not be able to find it any longer, at least at retail stores.

G SpOtZ
08-22-2006, 03:38 AM

Actually, I think he probably KNEW Jenova wasn't his real mother. Gast would have had to have mentioned Lucrecia somewhere in all the books he read and the reports Gast had written that he went through. Sephiroth probably just ignored that and merely chose to view Jenova as his mother as justification to view himself as a higher being and to do what he had intended to do, as shoddy as his justification was.

I take it you mean the Midgar Zolom, and he didn't hang it on a tree, he IMPALED that sucker. And while that was cool, what did that really say to the characters other than "Lookee, I can kill a monster like it's nobodies business! Though, maybe, I should've left it to get rid of you........oh well....". Sephiroth WAS cool to an extent, but I don't thing having merely killed a Zolom was that impressive. But like I said earlier, you have to love Masamune. :love: <--What I feel for Masamune
The stuff in your spoiler tags was completely based on speculation. In the game, he had not mentioned ONCE that he knew who his real mother was, and your argument in there isn't really that good. I can't really take it apart, becuase it's all based on speculation, and what you think.

Also, it wasn't the fact that he killed the Midgar Zolem, it's the face the it was "impaled" on a tree. Just look at it... It's like, art. The style was simply cold and incredible.

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 03:41 AM
Also, it wasn't the fact that he killed the Midgar Zolem, it's the face the it was "impaled" on a tree. Just look at it... It's like, art. The style was simply cold and incredible.

You guys are starting to scare me... :laugh: :laugh:
With the way Sephiroth works it is very possible he knew about his real mother... remember how at first he claimed to be an ancient he discarded that idea.

Kefka_Almighty
08-22-2006, 03:49 AM

The stuff in your spoiler tags was completely based on speculation. In the game, he had not mentioned ONCE that he knew who his real mother was, and your argument in there isn't really that good. I can't really take it apart, becuase it's all based on speculation, and what you think.

I'll give you that, yes, it WAS based on speculation. However, don't you think it would've been odd that, in all his official reports which would've been seen by Shinra, Gast wouldn't have given ANY explanation about Lucrecia, the birth itself, ect? Even if his employers already KNEW Lucrecia was the real mother, it still would have been customary to have mentioned her in the reports, which we know Sephiroth read through. To have completely excluded her would have been horribly unlikely and unprofessional.

Araciel
08-22-2006, 12:16 PM
i think sephiroth was kinda cool...he was so powerful in his early days (the flashback just after leaving midgar) that he didn't know his place in the world, didn't even care. then later he discovers some bits of the truth and goes on a rampage...he impaled the midgar zolom not to inspire awe or fear, seeing as how he probably didn't know anyone would even get across the marsh to find it...it was just something he did, like...i don't know, killing dragons in a couple of moves (see again the flashback) this was a plot device to inspire some kind of fear or admiration for this living legend in the game world. just because he did an evil thing by sneak attacking a girl who can't fight her way out of a wet paper bag doesn't make him a wuss, it makes him evil.

boys from the dwarf
08-22-2006, 12:43 PM

i know what you mean. thats how a lot of people react to people saying FF7 is overrated. ive noticed that a majority of people on this site down have FF7 as there favourite. if we took a poll and everyone voted i dont think FF7 would win it and even if it did thats not saying its overrated.

i like sephiroth and hes a good enemy but seems as he never does much apart from be "badass" hes not on my list of favourite enemies. hes doesnt even come close compared to most FF enemies. but hes still great. his past and backstory and his cruel, heartless attitude are what make him good. hes a good enemy and people like him but he is not overrated.

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
08-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Are you kidding me, my 3 year old cousin, is a better villan then him.
Also I assume your cousin can do this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCZKM5eTTdM&mode=related&search=

you never know.

The Crystal
08-22-2006, 01:27 PM
I think that Sephiroth have everything to be a great villain, with exception of his personality. He don't have any. But i like him anyway.

And you guys don't think that Sephiroth changed during the story? Before the game, he was a living legend and the most powerfull man in the world. He don't was afraid of anyone. But when he return of the Lifestream(after he fell in it, in Nibelheim), he is allways running away when you find him, and is allways using others to fight for him(Jenova's pieces, the Weapons, the SHM, etc). He killed Aerith by her back too, and during half of the game, he is protected inside a barrier in the Northern Crater. After Sephiroth gained Jenova's powers, he begun to use more his head, instead of just his muscles, but he becomed a little coward too.

boys from the dwarf
08-22-2006, 02:30 PM
his personality is actually pretty well done in FF7. the way he changes and the way he acts after he changes.

Ryushikaze
08-22-2006, 04:38 PM

I'll give you that, yes, it WAS based on speculation. However, don't you think it would've been odd that, in all his official reports which would've been seen by Shinra, Gast wouldn't have given ANY explanation about Lucrecia, the birth itself, ect? Even if his employers already KNEW Lucrecia was the real mother, it still would have been customary to have mentioned her in the reports, which we know Sephiroth read through. To have completely excluded her would have been horribly unlikely and unprofessional.

Hojo is the DEFINITION of unprofessional. He's also unscientific, secretive, and plum bollocks loco.
The man considered a lion and a human viable mating partners for smeg's sake. The man most likely edited the reports to remove Lucrecia, make himself look better, among other things.

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Are you kidding me, my 3 year old cousin, is a better villan then him.
Also I assume your cousin can do this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCZKM5eTTdM&mode=related&search=

you never know.
If his cousin could do that I'd find out where he lives and enlist him in my plot to take over the world (Insert Kefka's laugh here http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6/sounds/au/kefka.au )

chronic_Maniac
08-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Anything that was good, then turned on the world is a badass. To go as far as he did yeah thats cool too. He was the only one up against everything that hated him. He always seemed to be there when he needed to. That means he watched the entire world for his chance to strike. Anyways its all about if you like the game or not. Go and rent the matrix or starwars or even devil may cry. Nothing compares to an idea.

Dreddz
08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Sephiroth suffered from being too good a villain, anything that people rave about with at one point be called overrated. Sephiroth had a intresting background, and fitted well into the game.

The Crystal
08-22-2006, 09:11 PM
The only problem with Sephiroth is his cliché personality and cliché lines. Excluding this, he is a very good villain.

Dragon Mage
08-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Erm..I would like to point out something.
1) He never fought the chars directly until the very end. Before that he always made Jenova fight you. What kind of man sicks his mother on his enemys?

2)He's insane. We all know this, so lets not pussy-foot around it. He's cunningly insane, yes, but the point is he's not mentally stable. And you can't take an insane man seriously.

3)Yeah, sword was nice. But that's the extent of his coolness. He's just another long-haired pretty boy. It seems to me that saving the world means finding the right long-haired pretty boy and beating him up. I mean, what kind of 'cool' man walks around with waist-length hair? Certainly not a secure one.

4)He has major ego problems. He runs around with a shiny sharp piece of metal, clinging to mommy and out to destroy the world. He must be so depressed that he feels he has to destroy the world as well as him self in his suicide attempt.

And this is the man that people claim is so cool? Crap, I must be missing something, because he sure doesn't seem that awesome to me. I belive an explaination is in order or else, just shut up! 'Cause I'm tired of hearing what a bad ass he is. He mad a good bad guy, sure. But he doesn't deserve even an eighth of the credit that people give him. Sheesh.

f f freak
08-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Okay there might be quite a few spoilers in this post but anyway here goes.

He's insane. We all know this, so lets not pussy-foot around it. He's cunningly insane, yes, but the point is he's not mentally stable. And you can't take an insane man seriously

Oh so you can't take Kefka seriously? I mean Kefka was definetly on at least the verge of insanity. And he poisoned a castle, Killed a general and the Emperor. I take both of them seriously.

He never fought the chars directly until the very end. Before that he always made Jenova fight you. What kind of man sicks his mother on his enemys?

That's because for most of the game he was stuck in a crater. Also he doesn't sick his mother on enemies. As far as I know Lucrecia was in a cave.

He has major ego problems. He runs around with a shiny sharp piece of metal clinging to mommy and out to destroy the world. He must be so depressed that he feels he has to destroy the world as well as him self in his suicide attempt

I'm sorry but have you actually played this game. He has a whole frickin master plan and the best part is that his master plan won't result in suicide because if you play the game you'll know that he intends to make a wound in the planet large enough for all of the lifestream have to come together to heal it. And guess who will be stood there when the lifestream arrive. Sephiroth. His plan never had anything to do with suicide. He had it all planned out. From getting Jenova to kill Aeris to having Cloud give him the black materia.

The Crystal
08-22-2006, 11:16 PM
That's because for most of the game he was stuck in a crater. Also he doesn't sick his mother on enemies.

No, he sicks Jenova on his enemys. Why don't use Jenova's body to FIGHT? During half the game Sephiroth controlled her body, but everytime that he have to fight, he throw a piece of the body to fight for him, and run away. And in the Northern Crater, when he don't need the body anymore, his mind just go out of her body(he run away again), and you have to fight against Jenova. Then, in the second half of the game, he is hiding in the NC, protected by a barrier.
Like i said before, Sephiroth becomed a coward.

PS: Belive me, i'm not bashing Sephiroth. Hell, i even like the fact that he was using more of his head, instead of his muscles, during the game. But you have to admit that he is a little coward.

f f freak
08-22-2006, 11:21 PM
No, he sicks Jenova on his enemys. Why don't use Jenova's body to FIGHT?

Umm you fight Jenova's body.

During half the game Sephiroth controlled her body, but everytime that he have to fight, he throw a piece of the body to fight for him, and run away.

Yes he controlled her from the northern crater. So therefore you fight Jenova who had changed her body to look like Sephiroth's.

Then, in the second half of the game, he is hiding in the NC, protected by a energy shield.

That is because he is using his energy to stop Holy from working. And he needs to make sure no one can interfere with his plans.

The Crystal
08-22-2006, 11:34 PM

Yes he controlled her from the northern crater. So therefore you fight Jenova who had changed her body to look like Sephiroth's.

Exactly. You fight Jenova. But why you never fight against Sephiroth using Jenova's body? I mean, her body and his mind. In the fights against Jenova, you are fighting only against Jenova(her body and her mind), because Sephiroth already run away.

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 11:42 PM

Exactly. You fight Jenova. But why you never fight against Sephiroth using Jenova's body? I mean, her body and his mind. In the fights against Jenova, you are fighting only against Jenova(her body and her mind), because Sephiroth already run away.
DUH! Thats the whole point of sicking Jenova on you so while your busy fighting her/him/it? He gets to get away but more importantly not be distracted by you and continue his plan. That wasn't cowardice.... its not like he even wanted Jenova to kill you.

Dragon Mage
08-30-2006, 03:36 AM
Oh so you can't take Kefka seriously? I mean Kefka was definetly on at least the verge of insanity. And he poisoned a castle, Killed a general and the Emperor. I take both of them seriously.
Forgive me, but I have no idea who you're talking about. FF7 is the only FF game I've played so far. And I did say that Sephiroth was cunningly insane, so I'm not calling him an idiot, or anything. And when I say serious, I mean, how can you factor someones insanity into their 'coolness' and take it seriously? I mean, come on, insanity is cool? Please.

That's because for most of the game he was stuck in a crater. Also he doesn't sick his mother on enemies. As far as I know Lucrecia was in a cave.
You know what I mean. I'm talking about Jenova, whom he refers to as 'mother' throughout the game. Stop dodging.

I'm sorry but have you actually played this game. He has a whole frickin master plan and the best part is that his master plan won't result in suicide because if you play the game you'll know that he intends to make a wound in the planet large enough for all of the lifestream have to come together to heal it. And guess who will be stood there when the lifestream arrive. Sephiroth. His plan never had anything to do with suicide. He had it all planned out. From getting Jenova to kill Aeris to having Cloud give him the black materia.
Yeah, I see, destroy the world you're on to become godly. Sure that makes a WHOLE lot of sense. -_- Gimme a break. Everyone knows that Meteor would have destroyed the world and if not, every living thing would have been killed. ('Nuclear winter' ring a bell?) But Sephiroth, in his insanity, was so intent on gaining power to 'take back' the world he was willing to go to any extreme to gain the neccessary power. Even if this meant wiping out the world and/or all life. So actually, yes it was a suicide attempt. Not neccissarily an intentional one, but it was suicidal nonetheless.
And it seemed to me that going on this whole quest was not planned out. In fact, it seemed like a spur of the moment decision to me. He did not plan for Cloud to go multiple-personality or to have a flower girl from the slums of Midgar creamed. Every thing just seemed to fall into place and he manipulated the others into doing things to benefit him.

Bolivar
08-30-2006, 05:21 AM
Forgive me, but I have no idea who you're talking about. FF7 is the only FF game I've played so far. And I did say that Sephiroth was cunningly insane, so I'm not calling him an idiot, or anything. And when I say serious, I mean, how can you factor someones insanity into their 'coolness' and take it seriously? I mean, come on, insanity is cool? Please.

You know what I mean. I'm talking about Jenova, whom he refers to as 'mother' throughout the game. Stop dodging.

Yeah, I see, destroy the world you're on to become godly. Sure that makes a WHOLE lot of sense. -_- Gimme a break. Everyone knows that Meteor would have destroyed the world and if not, every living thing would have been killed. ('Nuclear winter' ring a bell?) But Sephiroth, in his insanity, was so intent on gaining power to 'take back' the world he was willing to go to any extreme to gain the neccessary power. Even if this meant wiping out the world and/or all life. So actually, yes it was a suicide attempt. Not neccissarily an intentional one, but it was suicidal nonetheless.
And it seemed to me that going on this whole quest was not planned out. In fact, it seemed like a spur of the moment decision to me. He did not plan for Cloud to go multiple-personality or to have a flower girl from the slums of Midgar creamed. Every thing just seemed to fall into place and he manipulated the others into doing things to benefit him.

What you have to understand is that prior to FF7, the main villains of Final Fantasy (X-Death/Kefka) simply wanted to bring all existence into non-existence, for no apparent reason. So in '97, it seemed like Sephiroth was the deepest main villain of all time, because it was such a huge jump in storytelling in videogames.

Also, Sephiroth never had his "mother" fight Cloud & friends and then run away; he was asleep during the entire first disc in the northern crator in the pod you see when it all collapses. "1" was the only clone strong enough for "Sephiroth's Will" to control.

About him killing Aeris, that scene now seems to me as paying homage to when Setzer jumped down to the stage of the theater to claim Celes. except he rammed the musamune into her back...

The name Sephiroth also (more than an actual entity) has more to do with the whole Jewish religious basis of the storyline, for Cloud to achieve complete consciousness of himself, he had to "follow the path of the Sephiroth". You'd have to read Squall_of_SeeD 's stuff to get it.

Zeromus_X
08-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Sephiroth was indeed, controlling Jenova's body from the Northern Crater.

Just read the UOG guide.

X.MissingNumber.III
08-30-2006, 05:37 AM
sephiroth is one of the best villans because he has a ritious cause. he wanst a villan at first and in his mind he still isnt. hes a rebel with a cause and to him the planent witch robbed his dear mother, Jenova, witch is the only one he has come to know, if that makes sence. so i think that hes willing to take out a hole planet to be with mother and finish what she started, so hes a G.

Quite possibly the best game ever made...

Zeromus_X
08-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Speaking of which...

Sephiroth: I love you mommy!

Jenova-SYNTHESIS: I love you too, son.

*Jenova hugs Sephiroth with its tentacles.*

It isn't so funny...but it's been in my head all day long. xD

Kawaii Ryûkishi
08-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Sephiroth was a lot more interesting in the first half of the game, when everyone spoke reverently about what a godly soldier he was, and then a series of gruesome incidents began occurring that were attributed to him either by eyewitness accounts or the sheer brutality of their execution, although he always remained out of sight. The trail of blood, the President found slumped on his desk with a sword in his back, the Midgardsorm impaled messily on a tree, the slaying of the cargo ship crew leading up to his ghostly first appearance... This was all great stuff, imbued with a sense of mystery and creeping horror that was gradually eroded as the story progressed and you began to find out what his whole deal actually was.

lufia
08-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Sephiroth looks like a nerd? what the hells wrong with you. Coward? hell no, It was him against the world. He used Jenova to fight for him because they were unworthy to face the Godly Sephiroth. The slaughtering of the Shinra headquaters was awesome, so was the impaled snake. Sephiroth is by far the greatest villain so far in the FF series, looks, personality everything. And his the most popular villain too.

Dragon Mage
08-30-2006, 07:56 PM
What you have to understand is that prior to FF7, the main villains of Final Fantasy (X-Death/Kefka) simply wanted to bring all existence into non-existence, for no apparent reason. So in '97, it seemed like Sephiroth was the deepest main villain of all time, because it was such a huge jump in storytelling in videogames.

I see. Thank you for the explaination. I can see why people would like Sephiroth so much because he had a plan other than classic 'destroy the world'. Understandable.
But what I don't get is why everyone goes on about how awesome he is in every single way. It's gay; really, it is. This is what I'm arguing about.

Also, Sephiroth never had his "mother" fight Cloud & friends and then run away; he was asleep during the entire first disc in the northern crator in the pod you see when it all collapses.

Then what are all those Jenova battles? And I never said he ran away. Just that when you get your mommy to fight your own battles, that's pretty sad, and of all things, it is not cool.

He used Jenova to fight for him because they were unworthy to face the Godly Sephiroth.

Some how, I knew that this reasoning would come up. It wasn't because 'they' were unworthy; it was for the story line. It's a classic cliche, where you defeat the ultimate bad guy at the end and win. That's why you never fought him until the end. Sory line, plain and simple.

LunarWeaver
08-30-2006, 08:04 PM
I like Sephiroth. I could come up with a list of reasons to justify it, but I don't see why I should I have to.

FiragaBreak
08-30-2006, 08:23 PM
i think sephiroth was kinda cool...he was so powerful in his early days. just because he did an evil thing by sneak attacking a girl who can't fight her way out of a wet paper bag doesn't make him a wuss, it makes him evil.

I love you.

sephirothishere
08-31-2006, 05:12 PM
sephiroth kicks major ass.....he was more interesting in the earlier parts of the game when you didnt know anything about him....at first he scared the b'jesus outta me...but then i played through the game a second time and was like thats cool....so?.....ya know what i mean

DarkLord
09-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Just to clear a few things up. Jenova isn't Sephiroth's mother, that would be Lucrecia. Hojo planted the Jenova cells into the unborn Sephiroth, for more info, try and look into Lucrecia/Hojo/Sephiroth or Vincents backround a bit more indepth
In my opinion he is the best villian, but that's just me

The Crystal
09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Sephiroth is... a classic villain. He is like Darth Vader for example. He(and the FFVII game) mark the begining of a new generation to RPGs. He did things that no villain did until that time(killing a member of your party, for example). Sephiroth is part of the history of video games(not only FF series). Because of this, he will never be forgotten.
This is why so many people like him.
Sephiroth was a great villain, because of these things, but if you forget about these "revolutionary things(begin of a new generation of villains, with more depth, etc.)" you guys will see that exist MANY villains better then him, in video games. Some of them, even in the FF series.
Everything evolve. FFVII and Sephiroth were good to their time. But now, we have other FFs and other villains, much better then it, and then him.
Popularity is not equall to "being the best". FFVII(and Sephiroth) is popular, because of the time that the game was released, not because is "the best game ever!". And this is something that some people have to understand.

Crop
09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
If your going to talk about someone/thing please... spell the name remotely correct

What is this, a spelling bee? Who are you to tell him how to spell things? Bu if you REALLY want to get onto spelling mistakes, you did not spell 'inappropriate' right in your sig.

DUH! Thats the whole point of sicking Jenova on you so while your busy fighting her/him/it? He gets to get away but more importantly not be distracted by you and continue his plan. That wasn't cowardice.... its not like he even wanted Jenova to kill you.

How the hell do you know? Tell you his plan did he?

I personally also think he was a rubbish villain, I think Rufus was far better.

Goldenboko
09-01-2006, 11:40 PM

What is this, a spelling bee? Who are you to tell him how to spell things? Bu if you REALLY want to get onto spelling mistakes, you did not spell 'inappropriate' right in your sig.
Reread that please... I said remotely correct, its not like he thought he spelt it correctly because if you notice he spelt it like three different ways.... and thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Of course he didn't want Jenova to kill you, he wanted you to give him the Black Materia remember?

Blykus
09-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Actually, I think Sephiroth is one of the greatest villians in the Final Fantasy series. I think the only two that surprass him are Kefka and Kujo, to be honest.

Sephex
09-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Sephiroth was a lot more interesting in the first half of the game, when everyone spoke reverently about what a godly soldier he was, and then a series of gruesome incidents began occurring that were attributed to him either by eyewitness accounts or the sheer brutality of their execution, although he always remained out of sight. The trail of blood, the President found slumped on his desk with a sword in his back, the Midgardsorm impaled messily on a tree, the slaying of the cargo ship crew leading up to his ghostly first appearance... This was all great stuff, imbued with a sense of mystery and creeping horror that was gradually eroded as the story progressed and you began to find out what his whole deal actually was.

You know, that's exactly why I got interested in Sephiroth. I never really knew why untill I read this post. Very well said.

Bolivar
09-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Sephiroth is... a classic villain. He is like Darth Vader for example. He(and the FFVII game) mark the begining of a new generation to RPGs. He did things that no villain did until that time(killing a member of your party, for example). Sephiroth is part of the history of video games(not only FF series). Because of this, he will never be forgotten.
This is why so many people like him.
Sephiroth was a great villain, because of these things, but if you forget about these "revolutionary things(begin of a new generation of villains, with more depth, etc.)" you guys will see that exist MANY villains better then him, in video games. Some of them, even in the FF series.
Everything evolve. FFVII and Sephiroth were good to their time. But now, we have other FFs and other villains, much better then it, and then him.
Popularity is not equall to "being the best". FFVII(and Sephiroth) is popular, because of the time that the game was released, not because is "the best game ever!". And this is something that some people have to understand.

that was very on point.

Crossblades
09-02-2006, 03:03 AM
Sephiroth is a decent villian. He's not the greatest, but still decent

Christmas
09-02-2006, 03:32 AM
He is a filial son that take care of his rotten deformed Mama. :bigsmile:

Blykus
09-02-2006, 03:37 AM

Are you implying thatLucrecia is rotten and deformed? As DoC showed, she is rather attractive.

Dignified Pauper
09-02-2006, 09:24 AM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/ORLYWOMAN.jpg < Sephy's real mom

Crop
09-02-2006, 11:27 AM

Reread that please... I said remotely correct, its not like he thought he spelt it correctly because if you notice he spelt it like three different ways.... and thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Of course he didn't want Jenova to kill you, he wanted you to give him the Black Materia remember?

It really does not matter how anyone spells anything.

He could have killed you and got the black materia. He didnt need you alive.

Elpizo
09-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Having finished VII a few weeks ago I can now give my thoughts on Seph from a player's point of view too.

He was there in teh game, he fitted in it, did what he had to do and he did it all fine. I liked it. I shall be honest: In teh beginnign (after I finished IX and played VII. I thought it was cr@p, Seph was an overrated mama-boy with an oversized sword.

Bought the game (The Ultimate gaol to finish all FF's Ican get my hands on! You're the last and next from I til IX, VIII! Bwahahaha!)
and was determined to finish it.

The more I played, the more I felt a bit ashamed of what I thought before about it. I can see why people like Sephiroth. He did fancy stuff. It was cool when on disc2 and 3, when you were flying around, yo ucould see his Meteor hovering over the world. Gave it a darker feeling.

It was nice that he could manipulate his mother to escape without its head, took hsi form, killed Aeris, collected the Balck Materia, messed with CLoud. But here's the thing: Jenova did all that. Sure Sephiroth planned it, and I have nothin gagainst it.

But when I see people calling Sephiroth ubercool for all he did, it makes me frown. It was not Sephiroth. It was Jenova. Their God-villain was a frozen body in the northern crater. Not THAT cool, if you think about it. I'm fine with Sephiroth-liking, as long as people realize that the only times we really saw Sephiroth were in the Nibelheim flashback, Northern Crater on Disc 2 and on the end of Disc3. (Can be more, I don't remember it all.) And all the other times, it was Jenova. (It IS creepy, you know. Tearing your own arm of to let it fight the enemies of your 'son'.)

So my disliking for Sephiroth does not lie with Sephiroth himself, but with his fann00bs hailing him.

I did like him. "Those chosen by the plannet" is one of my favorite villain-tracks. And I L-O-V-E-D the Final Battle. God-Final-Bosses rule. (Which is why Kefka and Necron rule, too.) And One-WInged Angel was nice, too. (But I prefer "The Extreme" from VIII and "The Final Battle" from IX over it, sorry.) Bizzaro Sephiroth was a bit of a disappointment when it came to challenge, but Safer Sephiroth amde up for it. He did not manage to kill me even once, but he offered a bit of a challenge (if you don't use Knights of the Round). Super Nova was great, too (but I prefer Grand Cross from Necron, sorry again). I think teh way of him coming down from heavens, folding his wings open and that fancy battle-background made him one of my favorite Final Bosses, but not my favorite villain.

So all in all, I like Sephiroth, he is a good villain in VII, but I can also see that there can be better villains than him. And in my opinion, there ARE better villains than him.

The bad thing about VII is not thegame, it's the swarm of fann00bs it has.

Last thing: I personally, liked Sephiroth in AC more, because he actually did something more 'active' in the movie than he did in the game.

kalabora
09-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Sephiroth...
Had depth. All of the players had depth and things you could relate too.
Truely a great game.
Sephiroth is the best hated/loved villian in history in my opinion.

Raebus
09-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Sephiroth...

Yeah, I'm sure someone out there was always super humanly strong and didnt know why until a fateful day or had been injected with wierd /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif and took on another persons memorys as his own. :thumb:

Goldenboko
09-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Sephiroth...

Yeah, I'm sure someone out there was always super humanly strong and didnt know why until a fateful day or had been injected with wierd /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif and took on another persons memorys as his own. :thumb:
He's talking about having a past, sometimes people really who they think they are, Cloud was a symbol of such.

Raebus
09-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Okay, point taken. I'm just having a hard time taking his post seriously.

Goldenboko
09-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I guess I agree the post could've been written better.

Dragon Mage
09-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Okay, this needs to be settled.

Jenova is more Sephiroth's mother than whats-her-face(sorry can't remember he name) ever was. Sephiroth grew up thinking that Jenova was his mother and he most likely has never heard of whatsherface. Jenova's DNA probably over powers whatsherface's so much that Sephiroth can be considered more alien than he is human. (call him a hybrid...) That's why he is so powerfull.

I believe that it has been established that it was Sephiroth controlling Jenova to fight you. Good. We understand. Now shut up about it. And though it's Jenova's body you're fighting, Sephiroth is the one pulling the strings. (Nothing like a puppet to tell someone they're a puppet, eh?) So technically, you are fighting him, just not his physical self. OK? Good.

Goldenboko
09-03-2006, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=Dragon Mage;1869276]Okay, this needs to be settled.

Jenova is more Sephiroth's mother than whats-her-face(sorry can't remember he name) ever was. Sephiroth grew up thinking that Jenova was his mother and he most likely has never heard of whatsherface. Jenova's DNA probably over powers whatsherface's so much that Sephiroth can be considered more alien than he is human. (call him a hybrid...) That's why he is so powerfull.
/QUOTE]

He grew up thinking someone named Jenova was his mother not the Jenova. Judging how human Sephiroth looked I doubt you could really say he had more Jenova cells then Human Cells.

Madame Adequate
09-03-2006, 02:33 AM
He's pretty cool, but let's be honest; He's no Seymour Guado.

Goldenboko
09-03-2006, 02:41 AM
He's pretty cool, but let's be honest; He's no Seymour Guado.

*This statement gives me a heartattack and I die*

My Tonberries: We're free! FREE!

*I come back alive*
I love auto-life, now Tonberries clean out my Chocochamber!

Tonberries: Damn...

Bolivar
09-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Okay, this needs to be settled.

I believe that it has been established that it was Sephiroth controlling Jenova to fight you. Good. We understand. Now shut up about it. And though it's Jenova's body you're fighting, Sephiroth is the one pulling the strings. (Nothing like a puppet to tell someone they're a puppet, eh?) So technically, you are fighting him, just not his physical self. OK? Good.

yeah

Christmas
09-03-2006, 05:46 AM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/dignified_pauper/ORLYWOMAN.jpg < Sephy's real mom

http://orlyowl.com/nowai.jpg

Goldenboko
09-03-2006, 05:48 AM

OMG!

Dignified Pauper
09-03-2006, 07:39 AM

OMG!

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/yawai-49862.jpg

Kawaii Ryûkishi
09-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Okay stop.

Blykus
09-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Damn, if that is Sephiroth's mom. I feel bad for Hojo.

Dragon Mage
09-04-2006, 02:56 AM
He grew up thinking someone named Jenova was his mother not the Jenova.

Exactly. So when he discovered who/what Jenova really is, he jumped to the conclusion that it was his mother. So Jenova is mentally more his mother than whatsherface.

Judging how human Sephiroth looked I doubt you could really say he had more Jenova cells then Human Cells.

I mean that the Jenova cells are there, but you just can't see them. Like, a dog that has human intelligance; a bigger brain is required but the dog would seem like any other dog. The Jenova cells, and the attributes wiht those cells, are more subtle than you think. (Besides, Jenova could change shape, I do believe. The Jenova cells would just blend in with the human and remain undetected.)

Goldenboko
09-04-2006, 03:04 AM
If he had more Jenova cells then human cells he would look like Jenova only certain parts of him got the Jenova cells not all of him. And I was just proving that you said he grew up thinking Jenova was his mother, he didn't when he jumped to conclusions he did, but he didn't go...

*Que Flashback*
5 year old Sephy: My moms Jenova which means I'm the chosen one! I love my mommy!

Dragon Mage
09-04-2006, 03:19 AM
By 'overpowering' the human cells, I meant that being half-human didn't affect the Jenova powers within him any. Sorry if I didn't get that through the first time. If he had more Jenova cells than yes he would look like a freak. And since the cells were introduced into him while he was still in the womb, the cells/DNA were woven into his own DNA. So he is thouroughly half-human. Otherwise, he would just be human with an alien arm or what not. Being affected by cells and being connected with cells are completely different.

Phsycologically, Jenova was his mother. Not whatsherface. So when he dicovered everything about Jenova, he automatically assumed she was his mother. That's when he went
My moms Jenova which means I'm the chosen one!

Goldenboko
09-04-2006, 03:29 AM
HEY YOU DELETED THE I LOVE MY MOMMY PART!

You must hate your mommy...

Dragon Mage
09-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Whoops! Sorry.

By 'overpowering' the human cells, I meant that being half-human didn't affect the Jenova powers within him any. Sorry if I didn't get that through the first time. If he had more Jenova cells than yes he would look like a freak. And since the cells were introduced into him while he was still in the womb, the cells/DNA were woven into his own DNA. So he is thouroughly half-human. Otherwise, he would just be human with an alien arm or what not. Being affected by cells and being connected with cells are completely different.

Phsycologically, Jenova was his mother. Not whatsherface. So when he dicovered everything about Jenova, he automatically assumed she was his mother. That's when he went:
5 year old Sephy: My moms Jenova which means I'm the chosen one! I love my mommy!

Is this better?

LOL!

Goldenboko
09-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Yes much better! We can now be on subject again...

Dragon Mage
09-04-2006, 03:46 AM
I'm glad. :)

SaviorSephiroth
09-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I felt diferently about it. I thought he was only thought he was slightly cool. NOTE: By slightly cool I meant a huge wussy. He looked like a nerd, he stabbed a GRIL from behind. I mean come on, he's a big wimp.

Who are you to question Sephiroth.No one comes close to matching Sephiroth. What are you thinking. Did you not understand the game.:cool:

Goldenboko
09-04-2006, 04:46 PM

Who are you to question Sephiroth.No one comes close to matching Sephiroth. What are you thinking. Did you not understand the game.:cool:

You are the other kind of person I don't agree with...
"Oh Sephiroth is the best" or
"Noone can beat Sephiroth"

A.) There are better villians (My fav is Kuja)
B.) You don't support your reasonning
And C.) I doubt you've played an other FF.