PDA

View Full Version : PC version won't work, no cd patch: help!

Beacham
08-22-2006, 03:38 AM
bah! i havn't played FF7 in years now, i miss it dearly, so i thought i would download it, God bless limewire, if only it would stop asking me to insert the cd :(
the readme is as follows
"1. Uncompress the whole stuff into to your ROOT directory.
2. Add ff7.reg to the registry (double click/yes).
3. Change the label of your drive to "ff7disc1", "ff7disc2" or "ff7disc3", whichever disc you're playing on.
4. Run Ff7config.exe and configure. (adding ff7.reg again resets these settings)
5. Run Ff7.exe and enjoy the greatest game ever made!
Notes:
- You will need msmpeg4 and windows media audio codecs to play the videos. Right click on codecs\M$MPEG4.inf and select "Install".
- If you uncompress onto an other drive than C, also edit the ff7.reg accordingly.
- Under Windows 2000 and XP you won't be able to pass the chocobo races due to the incompatibility of the game and the OS.
- If your video card supports it, don't forget to turn on FSAA 2x2."

now... the part that gets me is the renaming of the drive, wich drive? :confused: how do i rename it?:confused: ect ect
so i concluded that my only other option is a no cd patch, anyone know where i can get one? or how to solve the renaming the drive problem? thank you

Meat Puppet
08-22-2006, 03:39 AM
I've already tried this not too long ago and it doesn't work.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ff7+no+cd+patch

Beacham
08-22-2006, 04:02 AM
what did you try? the no cd patch or the game itself? i have to play this game again, i have too, someone please help me :cry:

Meat Puppet
08-22-2006, 04:57 AM
The game will not run by changing the label of the drive. You either need to find a no cd patch or buy the game.
The game can usually be found for sale at places like eBay—though a little pricey.

I guess you could also try downloading a ROM of the playstation FFVII and running it on an emulator. I have no idea how that will work for you.

Beacham
08-22-2006, 06:29 AM
playstation version won't do it for me, i need a no cd patch, but i've looked and havn't found one, anyone know where i can find one?

ok i got daemon tools, now all i need are ISO files or something of the like, anything know where i can find these?

For future reference, use the edit button if you have something else to add to your post. I realize in this case it's understandable, but yeah. Just so you know. ;) -kikimm

Meat Puppet
08-22-2006, 07:03 AM
You could probably get the ISO files off limewire.

aquatius
08-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Try isohunt.com, download them via bitcomet.

Beacham
08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
wow... moderators that actually moderate the forums... this is new :p

aquatius
08-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Isn't what you're doing illegal?

Beacham
08-22-2006, 02:14 PM
no, well, maybe legislatively, but i have no moral qualms with it, how many times do i have to buy a game to play it? i think once is enough, although i'm sure square would love to have me buy it a couple more, no, i think buying it once is enough?

aquatius
08-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Ah, kinda same with me then.

Dreddz
08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Why are you bothering with the PC version ?

Beacham
08-23-2006, 02:10 AM
how do you mean? the only other version is the ps1 version, wich is the worse of the two, to my knowledge the pc version is translated better, and of course theres always the part where i don't live at home anymore, and my little brother kept all the consoles, i wouldn't even have anything to play the ps1 version on

Meat Puppet
08-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Getting the PC version to run can be a difficult task, depending on your operating system. What operating system are you using, by the way?

HolyMackeral
08-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Just for fun I used alchohol to burn ISOs of my playstation discs, then mounted them with daemon tools and used an emulator to play it. Kinda more steps than neccessary but its just fun to be able say running an emulated virtual cd.

Disco Potato
08-23-2006, 06:36 AM
This is kinda off-topic, but if you can afford it and don't mind putting off buying a PS3 for a while, PS2s are relatively inexpensive now (I recently bought a new one for $130 - my old one stopped playing my FF games but plays my brother's crappy sports games fine -_-). Then you'd have to find a PS1 version of FF7...

PC-wise, I googled "FF7 no-cd patch" (like Meat Puppet) and found this, don't know if it works though:
http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/gamefixes/finalfantasy7.shtml

Personally, I think it would just be easier to actually buy the PC version, especially if you can afford it and can wait a while for it come in the mail (or get lucky and find a store that has it). If you do end up playing the PC version, Gamespot has a patch that helps clear up the Chocobo race issues on Windows XP.

Hope some of that helped :p

Vertisce
08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
no, well, maybe legislatively, but i have no moral qualms with it, how many times do i have to buy a game to play it? i think once is enough, although i'm sure square would love to have me buy it a couple more, no, i think buying it once is enough?

Yeah...what your doing is called illegal and shouldnt really even be discussed. Go buy the game...you can find it for 10 bucks for the PC version.

Beacham
08-26-2006, 01:43 AM
*sigh* i'm back, and i have the ISO's... but when you go into the first batle, at the train station just before turning the corner, it comes up with a black backround, the enemy is a single, orange triangle, and the message "ENCOUNT ERROR" appears on screen, then alternates between "ENCOUNT ERROR" and "if you see this message please call staff" bah! i give up :(

Distain
08-26-2006, 02:26 AM
I know what you mean. I got the game off of bit torent and it took me like 3 days to downlaod, but when you go to instal you need the cd, and I'v tried everything to get past it. I gwt so fucken fed up with it. They should just re reliese it for the pc or somthing, becuase i dont use ebay, and none of the stores near me have it, so theres no way i can me hands on a copy, illegal or not. I' so damn angry :mad2: and yet depresed :( ....

Disco Potato
08-26-2006, 03:43 AM
I think Amazon has the pc version too...it's just that even used ones are really expensive everywhere you look :(

SpikingZero
08-26-2006, 03:58 AM
how do you mean? the only other version is the ps1 version, wich is the worse of the two, to my knowledge the pc version is translated better, and of course theres always the part where i don't live at home anymore, and my little brother kept all the consoles, i wouldn't even have anything to play the ps1 version on
Translated better? No, all it does is fix the typos and bizarre oversights from the original PSX release.

Also, you'll need to download a patch in order to get the game to function on PC (for the most part. It still crashes from time to time).

One Winged Angel is also completely in MIDI; there are no recorded vocal lines like in the PSX version.

I think Amazon has the pc version too...it's just that even used ones are really expensive everywhere you look :(
I got a factory-sealed copy on eBay for only $25 w/o shipping included. Not that expensive.

Sylvie
08-26-2006, 06:07 AM
"ENCOUNT ERROR" appears on screen, then alternates between "ENCOUNT ERROR" and "if you see this message please call staff" bah! i give up

I got this error message when I was messing in the debug room. Its kind of scary.