PDA

View Full Version : after reading a prievew this game made me go "whoa interesting"

Markus. D
08-22-2006, 04:19 AM
Quo vadis, Final Fantasy? Regardless of internal and external criticism ("Final Fantasy- ism") regarding the extensive milking of the Final Fantasy franchise, the success of Square Enix's flagship series has always been, and remains to be, an undeniable fact. However, after a successful venture into online gaming (Final Fantasy XI) and the belated release of a deliberately different game (Final Fantasy XII), the question that begged to be asked, was what plans Square Enix had for the next (main series) installment of its poster franchise. Since May 2005, an appearance on PlayStation 3 seemed more than likely, even though the official confirmation only came at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). Along with another PlayStation 3 title, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIII made its public debut.

So, what kind of title is Final Fantasy XIII? From what little we know so far, it promises to be more of a classic Final Fantasy title than Final Fantasy XII. Instead of reinventing the series like Yasumi Matsuno did with the latter, Final Fantasy XIII seems to take a more traditional approach, comparable to Final Fantasy X.

Naturally Final Fantasy XIII should be closer to Final Fantasy X than Final Fantasy XII, as the development team behind the series' newest entry is led by producer Yoshinori Kitase (who produced Final Fantasy VIII, X and X-2) and director Matomu Toriyama. The duo is joined by two other mainstays: Character designer Tetsuya Nomura and scenario writer Kazushige Nojima. Kazumi Kobayashi (who previously worked on Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy XI) has joined the team as main programmer, while composer Masashi Hamauzu returns for his second job at a main series installment, following Final Fantasy X. Fans of Nobuo Uematsu can at least look forward to him creating Final Fantasy XIII's main theme.

Originally planned as a PlayStation 2 title, the game is now headed for PlayStation 3, powered by a propriety engine known as White Engine. Developed by an internal technology group, this game engine will not only power Final Fantasy XIII, but also Final Fantasy Versus XIII and other upcoming Square Enix PlayStation 3 titles. Similar to Final Fantasy X on PlayStation 2 in 2001, Final Fantasy XIII is sure to become a visual benchmark for PlayStation 3 titles, RPGs in particular. In an interview with a Japanese online publication, the development team went so far as to declare the aim of creating battle sequences rivaling the quality of last year's CG movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

Just like its predecessors (with the exception of Final Fantasy XI), Final Fantasy XIII will be a traditional single-player RPG. However, producer Yoshinori Kitase has promised the implementation of some undisclosed, "interesting" online features.

Leaving aside the new platform and technology, Final Fantasy XIII will see the return of the Active Time Battle (ATB) system, but with a twist. For Final Fantasy X, battle director (and Front Mission mastermind) Toshirou Tsuchida added a strategic component to the traditional ATB, creating what was dubbed CTB in the process. In case of Final Fantasy XIII, the development team plans a more speedy take on the good old ATB system, which will include a traditional input scheme for commands. The battle system will also include new effects, such as slowing down the flow of time. Prominently featured in the upper-right hand corner of the battle screen is a circle-shaped gauge. Once this gauge is filled up, players will gain access to an Overclock mode. This status effectively slows down your foes in battle, but also comes with an undisclosed risk for the protagonist. Another key aspect of the battle system will be a stat referred to as ATB cost. Apparently every command costs a certain amount of this stat.

For the first time since Final Fantasy VI's Terra, players will be in control of a female protagonist again. The virtual beauty highlighted in the E3 trailer is not only highly apt at using magic, but also advanced weaponry. In particular, we are talking about a sword that can be transformed into a firearm on the fly. Setting-wise, Final Fantasy XIII will take place in the most highly advanced world the series has seen to date. Despite the high-tech futuristic setting, crystals and magic will play a major role. In fact, the development team has hinted at a balance between technology and the power of the crystal. Square Enix has also highlighted the importance of the latter by referring to the entire project (including Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Agito XIII) as Fabula Nova Crystallis.
-RPGfan-

Moon Rabbits
08-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Final Fantasy XII looks more traditional than X or XIII.

LunarWeaver
08-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Articles are still going to be saying "Despite the last Final Fantasy being a departure for the series..." when FFXXXVIII is here. As if it's surprising when one is different.

Anyway, I hope they do succeed in reinventing the standard set-up of RPGs like they apparently are trying to do. xD

feona17
08-23-2006, 05:11 AM
That battle system sounds freaking awesome. It sounds like a mix of X and X-2's, but it's still kind of confusing. Plus rivaling the scenes in AC? o_o Damn.

Whatever, it'll be another year or two before we hear anything more. :rolleyes2

aerithsloveslave
08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Actually, I read recently something about how they (SE) were just now starting on the scenario for XIII and that the trailer was merely a "proposed outlook" on the finished project. Now I need to remember in which magazine I read that.

tidus_rox
08-27-2006, 09:12 PM
I heard this is going to be that last one... so it better be as good as everything and everyone is making it out to be. But, hey, its a Final Fantasy, of course it will be.

Hyperion4444
08-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I heard this is going to be that last one... so it better be as good as everything and everyone is making it out to be. But, hey, its a Final Fantasy, of course it will be.

It's not going to be the last Final Fantasy. They will make another Final Fantasy, eventually.
Right now, since FFXIII is either finished or almost finished, they are going to make new RPGs, remake Old RPGs, Continue other RPGs... bassicly concentrate on making the other RPGs other than Final Fantasy, and bring them popular. That's the goal. When they establish other Very Good RPGs (like Final Fantasy and make them popular) then they'll think of another Final Fantasy, but not before.

It's like a test to see if they are able to put more RPGs without the great Title Final Fantasy stealing the spotlight and see thoses games rise up.

Never Final.

(They will be more MMORPGs.)

Croyles
09-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Hyperion4444, i dont know what kind of magazine you read, but i think you need to check your facts again.
Hardly anything of what you said has been confirmed, and I REALLY doubt they are 80% finished with the game. The manufacturing process doesnt take THAT long for crying out loud. ^^
Peace.

McLovin'
09-15-2006, 07:05 PM
How do you know there was a giant beast attack?

Hyperion4444
09-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I've read it somewhere, I don't know...
anyway, that's one fact wrong.
''Theses pictures indicate the beast attack, I just assumed that it was part of the trailler, since they have thoses images, and the same battle ground makes it seem like it was originally part of the trailer''
as for the 80%, I can't recall where I've seen it, but it any case.
Here's what I got:
(Bellow are the pictures)

13 things you should know about FFXIII on the PS3.

1- Of the many teams within Square-Enix, which one was tasked with creating the first next-gen Final Fantasy? Why, the same folks who made the previous '' new Final Fantasy title for the next generation of Playstation''! Namely, the team behind Final Fantasy X for the PS2.

2- Producer Yoshinori Kitase outlines FFXIII's basic concept as the ''formal evolution of Final Fantasy. In FFX, we tried to conclude and wrap up the traditionnal RPG. In this game, we'd like to show the next form of RPGs. To be more specific, in the traditional RPG, the game flow is pretty the same: You go into a town, talk to people, go out of town, and enter battles. We want to start looking at that flow and revolutionize it in a way that it may surprise people to learn that this is a Final Fantasy game. I'm thinking it will be an extraordinary new form in RPGs.''

3- Director Motomu Toriyama on his experience in creating FFX and applying that experiences to FFXIII: ''We learned how to exceed and evolve the portrayal of the dramatic essence by showing the small changes in expression and emotions from what we did on FFX. I would be lying if I said we would be able to go back to the PS2 after creating the FFVII technical demo for the PS3''.

4- To that end, here's what we heard about the combat system: it's still good ol' Active-Time Battle ''Bar'' (ATB), except it's been tweaked to be even more faster and a bit more ''actiony'' (as indicated by the trailer). The development team also cryptically mentioned the use of an ''added time axis,'' which could mean anything from timing button presses that pull off special attacks to abilities that alter time within battle.

5- Another big factor in the combat system is the use of the vertical axis. Notice that gray thing on the heroine's finger? That controls gravity. You (or she) snaps it on and off effortlessly. Combine her ability to control gravity with her acrobatics, and you can see how vertical position in combat is now more important than the previous FF titles.

6- Weapon desing is being handled by Tetsu Tsukamoto, who worked on the costumew design fo FFX-2. His experience in creating multiple costume changes for the FFX-2 girls probably helped in desinging a gun that transforms into a sword.

7- Kitase on the game engine: ''A team of experts was formed to develop a special engine with a vast array of elements capable of handling cinematics, advanced audio processing, graphics-engine physics calculation, and special effects rendering. This impressive development platform is called the White Engine.

8- Toriyama on the female character that was shown in the trailer: ''I wouldn't say that she's the main character. It just happens to be that she was the character that we chose to feature in the trailer. However, it is true that we wanted to have a strong, independent woman as one of the main characters in the game. To accomplish this, we asked character designer Tetsuya Nomura to design a strong, and independent character, both mentally and physically. She was the end result.''
Noruma interjects, ''The order I got from Toriyama was to create a muscular and athetic gril. I had a lot of trouble trying to create her.''

9- Toriyama on the setting of FFXIII: ''The world of FFXIII depicts a level of civilization more advanced than ever seen before in the Final Fantasy series. This futuristic world exists in a time when technology and magic have combined and developed into new form. We decided to go for a more futuristic, sci-fi look because we thought that it would fit the new worldbeing portrayed on the Plastation 3 and serve as a indicator as to what the futur of gaming might be.''

10- Coproducer Shinji Hashimoto on the overall nature of Fabula Nova Crystallis projet and its effect on FFXIII: ''Consider that development platforms but featuring different worlds and stories that are bound by a common mythology, these independent FFXIII evolve uniquely. The Fabula Nova Crystallis projet is not a collection of sequels or ports but several original titles that exist alongside each other.

11- Why put sush a big emphasis on a freakin' crystal? Kitase answers, ''Because the crystal is the symbol of the [I]FF/I] series. The compilation of FFVII games has the central theme of the original FFVII, but this project is starting from zero. So that's why we though it would be good to create a centerpiece for this project and freely evolve from there.''

12- Chocobos:choc: :choc2: , moogles:mog: , and traditional spell names will still be present.

13- FFXIII online? Kitase mentions, ''It's still to be determined; if anything, it will be an extra feature but it won't be one of the main features.''

Moshenokoji
12-04-2006, 06:12 PM
This game loooks freakin awesome.

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2006, 07:00 AM
The combat system sounds intriguing but I'm going to stay skeptical about this one. Their last project didn't exactly thrill me so I'm going to wait until I see more. I don't like the fact that it's going to be so futuristic but I'll try to keep an open mind. Who knows, maybe they will give me a pleasant surprise.;)

VeloZer0
12-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Traditional spell names as in Bolt3(cool) or Tundaga(not cool)?
Slight glimer of hope there, but I'm doubting it.

Mirage
12-12-2006, 02:18 PM
What's cool about the "Spell #" syntax? I find it silly. -ra and -aga suffixes are more true to the original.

Snap Jumper
12-12-2006, 02:45 PM
-ra and -aga suffixes are more true to the original.

Those didn't come along until the Playstation era.

VeloZer0
12-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Fire3 to me seems far stronger than Firaga, and if I was going to yell something n battle I would way rather yell 'Ice3!' then 'Blizaga!'.

Thats about all there is to it... I don't think I can make in depth arguments for my preference on this one.

Mirage
12-12-2006, 10:49 PM
-ra and -aga suffixes are more true to the original.

Those didn't come along until the Playstation era.

Because of poor translations and/or space limitation. All the re-releases use -ra and -aga suffixes.

VeloZer0
12-12-2006, 11:35 PM
You don't actually know that they intended that, they could just currently like suffix better and hence redo everything with a suffix, and I don't exactly believe there was any reason VII had to use numbers instead of suffixes if they liked suffixes better. Last remake I played (Dawn of Souls) I don't recall suffixes, though I could be mistaken. Basically they used numbers, and then along the way decided suffixes were cooler, and some people still like the numbers better.

On a lighter note, in thinking of this I imagined FFII using suffixes.

Wolf Kanno
12-13-2006, 08:14 AM
But it was because of translation and space issues. The Japanese version of FFVI had the suffixes.