PDA

View Full Version : Tidus (Tie-dus) or Tidus (Tea-dus)

Chocobo King
08-22-2006, 05:54 AM
I think its Tidus as in Tie-dus. I saw on a preview for the game and they sayed Tidus as Tea-dus. what do you guys think?

farplaner
08-22-2006, 06:14 AM
I think this thread has already been made, and the unaninmous answer was:

Meat Puppet
08-22-2006, 06:19 AM
I say it (Tie-dus). I've never played the game.

farplaner
08-22-2006, 06:34 AM
I say it (Tie-dus). I've never played the game.

lol

feona17
08-22-2006, 06:36 AM
It's rightfully pronounced Tie-dus in the NA version, and it's different in the Jap version... I think it's tee-da, not sure.

pinkmage
08-22-2006, 10:29 AM
in kingdom hearts 2 selphie calls him Tie-dus i think..... :( ive always called him tea-dus it sounds cuter!

Slade
08-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Tee-dus.

dŁv!l'$ ph0Łn!x
08-22-2006, 11:07 AM
tie-dus, tea-dus makes him sound too much like an afternoon snack

Crossblades
08-22-2006, 02:52 PM
I always called him Tee-dus

01 Rin
08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
in kingdom hearts 2 selphie calls him Tie-dus i think..... :( ive always called him tea-dus it sounds cuter!Then we have to sue Square-Enix because in KH(1), Wakka calls him Tee-dus: quote from Wakka in KH(1), "Me and [Tee-dus], we gonna do a little exploring today. Wonder what's in that cave, ya?" well, maybe not exactly word for word, but my memory is not what it used to be (and i'm not even 20 yet....)
Actually, I do not remember Selphie ever pronouncing Tidus's name and I've played KH2 twice! (maybe I should play it once more just to listen for that, then after I hear it, I'll erase the game for the space on memory card)

tie-dus, tea-dus makes him sound too much like an afternoon snacklol, my friends at school (those who've played FFX or FFX-2) said that Tee-dus sounds like something else, and I'm not saying what. I still believe it's pronounced Tee-dus.

BizarroSephiroth
08-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I have heard Tidus as (this'll be weird Tit-us) Like Tit (ya know) and then us.

01 Rin
08-22-2006, 04:05 PM
I have heard Tidus as (this'll be weird Tit-us) Like Tit (ya know) and then us.O.o

ama124
08-22-2006, 04:52 PM
It's tee-dus.

In kingdom hearts, wakka pronunces it tea-dus as said in another post. In the FFX trailers, it is said as tea-dus and Tidus's voice actor James Arnold Taylor was interviewed and throughout the interview he pronounced it tea-dus.

Eureka
08-22-2006, 05:28 PM
its tea dus if you've ever played kingdom hearts one *shudders* wakka calls him that.. although wakka has quite a stong accent so im not quite sure although i say tie dus because im retarded :P lol

licence
08-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I call him Tie-dus. Tea-dus doesn't sound right to me.

Sefie1999AD
08-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I pronounce his name Tee-dus. Tie-dus just sounds plain weird to me. Doesn't James Arnold Taylor also pronounce his name Tee-dus?

ama124
08-22-2006, 07:44 PM
I pronounce his name Tee-dus. Tie-dus just sounds plain weird to me. Doesn't James Arnold Taylor also pronounce his name Tee-dus?

yes he does. heres the video if anyone wants to hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3dPYlvmEao

Zeromus_X
08-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Tida.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
lol I like these threads
Tedious>>>>Tie-dus>>>>Tea-dus

bipper
08-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Tie-dus. like the book in teh bible.

Vaincast
08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Tie-dus

Nominus Experse
08-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Correctly, apparently, it's meant to pronounced Tea-da or Tea-dus. However, I initially called him Tie-dus, and continue to do so since Tea-dus sounds, for lack of a better term, stupid.

Darkwing Bahamut
08-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Tidus (Tea-dus).

01 Rin
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM

yes he does. heres the video if anyone wants to hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3dPYlvmEaoSay, that's a good one. James Arnold Taylor sounds like Tidus using his own voice. Looks like Tidus and James Arnold Taylor sorta skipped puberty.

tee-dus. I understand why it can sound a little weird, sounds weird myself. but i've pronounced it that way ever since. and its been proved that tee-dus, or tee-da if your Japanese, is correct.
HOWEVER, pronounce it however you wish. no one's stopping you. whether you pronounce Tidus's name correct or not, it doesn't really matter.

No.78
08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Me and everyone I knew always called him TIE-DUS... Then this FFX interview disc came out and they reffered to him as teeedus... And then Kingdom Hearts...
So I gues he's menna be called Teedus, but I still find it easier to say Tiedus.

aerithsloveslave
08-24-2006, 08:21 PM
I always pronounced it Tie-dus as in tidal which I thought his name was based upon. :confused: Hopefully, future installments will have ALL of the characters' names spoken in the game.

farplaner
08-25-2006, 09:23 AM
I always pronounced it Tie-dus as in tidal which I thought his name was based upon. :confused: Hopefully, future installments will have ALL of the characters' names spoken in the game.

Only if they don't allow you to change the main character's name...or they figure out how to program pronunciation of all possible entries....

voice actors: "Where's our overtime pay?!"

Nominus Experse
08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
I always pronounced it Tie-dus as in tidal which I thought his name was based upon...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidus#Character_design

For his part, Character Designer Tetsuya Nomura has expressed that — after designing serious and moody main characters for Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII — he wanted to give Tidus a cheerful attitude and appearance, which is reflected in the name Kazushige Nojima chose for him (Tiida is the Okinawan word for "sun"). He's also explained that he wanted his clothing and accessories to suggest a relationship with the sea. For example, his outfit bears a distinctive blue theme, and the symbol of Tidus' blitzball team — which appears on his clothing — is designed after a fishing hook, while also designed such that it's an amalgamation of the letters "J" and "T" (the first letters of Tidus' name and that of his father, Jecht).
And thus spoke Wikipedia, <cite class="book" style="font-style: normal;">Sam Kennedy and Gary Steinman Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine August, 2001 (in English) </cite>and Tetsuya Nomura 20s. FLAREgamer

So his appearence is reminscent of the sea, but his name's origins are rooted in the sun.

Sefie1999AD
08-25-2006, 01:20 PM
I always pronounced it Tie-dus as in tidal which I thought his name was based upon...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidus#Character_design

For his part, Character Designer Tetsuya Nomura has expressed that — after designing serious and moody main characters for Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII — he wanted to give Tidus a cheerful attitude and appearance, which is reflected in the name Kazushige Nojima chose for him (Tiida is the Okinawan word for "sun"). He's also explained that he wanted his clothing and accessories to suggest a relationship with the sea. For example, his outfit bears a distinctive blue theme, and the symbol of Tidus' blitzball team — which appears on his clothing — is designed after a fishing hook, while also designed such that it's an amalgamation of the letters "J" and "T" (the first letters of Tidus' name and that of his father, Jecht).
And thus spoke Wikipedia, <cite class="book" style="font-style: normal;">Sam Kennedy and Gary Steinman Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine August, 2001 (in English) </cite>and Tetsuya Nomura 20s. FLAREgamer

So his appearence is reminscent of the sea, but his name's origins are rooted in the sun.

Oh, so his name was never even meant to be based on the word "tide"? That's an interesting find.

aerithsloveslave
08-25-2006, 01:24 PM

Only if they don't allow you to change the main character's name...or they figure out how to program pronunciation of all possible entries....

voice actors: "Where's our overtime pay?!"

I'm all for that. I don't mind if I am not able to change my character's name, especially if I am not able to change the rest of the party's names anyways. Oh, I wait for the day when they have pronounciation algorithm program that doesn't sound like a Speak N Spell.

Madame Adequate
08-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Tie-dus, regardess of what Squeenix's voice actors think.

Jessweeee♪
08-25-2006, 11:39 PM
The correct pronounciation it Teedus.
I would like to see this preview though.

I've been told the previews say Teedus, in KH1 Wakka says Teedus, the voice actors (which I would fire if they didn't know how to pronounce thier own character's name) say Teedus, and in KH2 Selphie says Tie-dus, which puzzles me.

People can say whatever they want though. I thought it was Tie-dus and I never thought I'd say it differently, but now I can't say it anymore :P

01 Rin
08-26-2006, 02:32 PM
...and in KH2 Selphie says Tie-dus, which puzzles me.why on earth did i miss this? she really says "tie-dus?" maybe it's her goofie voice that pronounces it that way, not wakka's accent.

Sain Cai
09-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Depends....would you rather pronounce it, Whinie or weenie?

Either is acceptable

Dr.M
09-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I call him Tie-dus. Tea-dus doesn't sound right to me.

I 2nd that.

farplaner
09-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Depends....would you rather pronounce it, Whinie or weenie?

Either is acceptable

Two thumbs up.

XandrewX
09-09-2006, 08:48 AM
from the beginning when i was ask to either wana rename tidus or not i already read it as Tie-dus....Well...but previews of every mv pronounce it as Tee-dus though...I'll prefer Tie-dus...but i think Tee-dus is the correct one...I'll vote Tie-dus...

tidus_rox
09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
In Kingdom Hearts 2 they say Tie-dus!! HAAHA

MJN SEIFER
09-10-2006, 08:13 PM
In the original translation he is called "Tida" which is prononuced "Tee-Dah".

But I will still pronounce him as "Tie-dus" even though it's wrong because that is what I first thought it was and it is what I am used to.

Just like I will call Chocobos "Chock-a-boes" Yuffie "Yuff-ee" and Cid "Sid".

Hayate
09-10-2006, 08:18 PM
I call him "Tie-Dus" it seems how it is pronounced to meh, soo that's how I will say it. Most people call him that anyways.