PDA

View Full Version : Most distinctive part in music to you

Mythra
08-23-2006, 02:34 AM
So what's the most distinctive part in a song or just music in general to you? For me it would have to be the vocalist, sometimes I can tell by the guitar (like Tom Morello for instance), but for the most part its the vocals that do it for me.

Shiny
08-23-2006, 02:51 AM
If a piano is composed into the music then I will automatically pick up on that the most. But, if there is no piano then I'll pick up on the vocals.

I Took the Red Pill
08-23-2006, 02:58 AM
The drums, because they often determine the beat and rhythm of the song. If there isn't a strong drum beat in the song, then guitar.

feona17
08-23-2006, 03:01 AM
Usually piano, melody or drums are what keep me glued to a song. Though, it depends on the song and what it's strong points are.

Samuraid
08-23-2006, 03:05 AM
It completely depends on the song. I really enjoy chord structure above all else, mainly because I do a lot of piano improvization, and chords are how I "hear" most songs.

Second to that, the rhythm really provides a basis for the song.

NorthernChaosGod
08-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Being as guitar is my first love, I'd say that. First run through a song and I pick up the guitar, next comes the drums, then the bass, and lastly the vocals.

GooeyToast
08-23-2006, 06:08 AM
Complex instrumentation (as in more than just guitar, bass, drums), odd time signatures, violin, piano, and a good vocalist are all things I enjoy in music.

Ironside
08-23-2006, 06:15 AM
Well I have to say drums since as has alady been explained it usaly hoes the beat of the song and of course thats very importent.

Markus. D
08-23-2006, 08:06 AM
depends on the song really :] (as my choice of Genres are far many)

but if I were to focus on a certain song.

Chaper 7 Sky from Drakengard, I'd have to say the repeating orchestra that drags on for the main parts of the song, it really awesomes up the part where it skips, and it makes the other repeating (not repeated as much) orchestral sounds flow alot nicer.

Rostum
08-23-2006, 08:31 AM
How well it's been mixed and mastered.

I also listen out for nearly every instrument, and the quality of their sound. I get easily impressed by Jeff Buckley-type (ala Radiohead, Muse, Augie march, Mick Hart) vocals, acoustic guitars (I love it when the bass note on the acoustic guitar is emphasized, gives it a nice raw sound) and nice thick sounding drums.

Cz
08-23-2006, 11:27 AM
No one element of a composition consistently stands for me. Some songs are carried by a chord sequence, others by a drumbeat, others by a melody. Other times, the individual instruments are almost irrelevant to the overall sound, and the song just comes out as one 'voice'.

No.78
08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Depends what song it is, usually a mix of the voice and the... Crazy, stuff... They put in. I don't think it's an instrument... Uhh... Yeah...

My input to this win.

I Don't Need A Name
08-23-2006, 01:00 PM
i play the guitar, so that stands out to me the most...next is the lyrics

Xander
08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Bass :D Or cute voices

Eureka
08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
i'd say.. erm how every thing compliments each other..

listen to 'a change of season - dream theater' that a good example.. except the vocals isnt too good :P

Sunny Day Suicide
08-23-2006, 01:58 PM
i play the guitar, so that stands out to me the most...next is the lyrics