PDA

View Full Version : Death in every Final Fantasy (spoiler)

No.78
08-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, I've noticed that every Final Fantasy 7 and up has one of the main characters dying.

FFVII- Aeris
FFVIII- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FFIX- Vivi
FFX- Auron

Just thought it was an interesting point to raise. Did main characters die in the pre 7 FFs? And if this pattern continues, who of the main characters do you think will die in 12?

ljkkjlcm9
08-23-2006, 02:01 PM
let's see FFI I'm not aware of any deaths. FFII, there were a few. FFIII, I don't think anyone did. FFIV, you think tons of people do, but only one does. FFV, one death. FFVI, Cid might die, might not, shadow might die, might not, mog might die, might not, but Leo dies.

SO,
FFI- No
FFII- Yes
FFIII- Yes
FFIV- Yes
FFV - Yes
FFVI - Yes
FFVII - Yes
FFVIII - Yes(RAINE)
FFIX - Yes
FFX - Yes

THE JACKEL

No.78
08-23-2006, 02:20 PM
...Do these dead people have anything in common?

...(lol I thought this would be an interesting topic... hrmmm)

Lilliputian Hitcher
08-23-2006, 02:40 PM
And Edea died in which version of FFVIII?

chronic_Maniac
08-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Chronic Maniac pimp slaps every final boss dead just for being ugly.

Tavrobel
08-23-2006, 03:40 PM
FFIII- No(not 100% sure.. been awhile but I'll know again when FFIII DS is released!)
THE JACKAL

I'm pretty sure Elia dies, but then again, it will be confirmed when it comes out on DS. Unne and Dorga have this "technical death" kind of thing going on.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Edea doesn´t die!

Vyk
08-23-2006, 04:18 PM
I'd be willing to bet a lot of main storyline characters die in FFXII. Not so sure about actual player characters. But if there were one to die, I can guess who it'd be. But heck, after watching the opening it was enough for me, in a good dramatic kinda way. Hopefully a lot more of the same throughout the story

bipper
08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
You guys are wrong. Countless monsters die in EVERY final fantasy. You all get wrapped up in the fact that a character might die. I mean.. geeze... think about the monsters... you monsters!

Bipper

The Crystal
08-23-2006, 05:19 PM
I don't remember of Edea dying.

DJZen
08-24-2006, 03:38 PM
People die in FFXI ALL THE TIME.

Sefie1999AD
08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
*SPOILERS!*

Garland, Emperor Palamecia, Dark Cloud, Zeromus, Neo-Exdeath, Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia, Necron, Yu Yevon and Shuyin all die or disintegrate or fade away in some way. Poor fellows.

Seriously though, here's some of the major death scenes I remember:

FFI - none
FFII - Scott, Josef, Minwu, Richard, Cid
FFIII - Desh (fake death), Elia, Dorga and Unne
FFIV - Too many fake deaths here, Tellah dies for good
FFV - King Tycoon, the four Warriors of Dawn (including Galuf), possibly Gilgamesh
FFVI - Cayanne's family, possibly Cid, possibly Shadow in the ending
FFVII - none... oh wait, Jessie, Biggs and Wedge. Plus one girl, but apparently you can dig her up in the Bone Village. :D
FFVIII - umm... Raine?
FFIX - Brahne, Garland and Kuja just after they stop being "bad guys"
FFX - Tidus, Auron, Jecht
FFX-2 - Tidus and Yuna get shot... oh wait, that was just a dream.

Ashley Schovitz
08-24-2006, 04:07 PM
yeah technically every character dies after you lose to a hard boss, but to be serious here in VIII none of the main chracters died just look in each book for the cast of the main characters, in VII yes, IX maybe we absolutely can't say for sure, X Auron was dead from the start.

boys from the dwarf
08-24-2006, 05:46 PM
what makes people think edea dies? FF8 has very few deaths but there is raine and ultimecia and a lot of people who nearly die.

Elpizo
08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
*SPOILERS!*

Ahem, you forgot General Leo. ;)

Griff
08-24-2006, 07:02 PM
The only main character in X you can really say died during the course of the game is Seymour because as was already mentioned Auron is dead beforehand and Tidus never really existed in the first place

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-24-2006, 08:35 PM
*SPOILERS!*

And the fact that you can, through your own choices, kill Mog and Shadow.

Zeromus_X
08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
FFT-....lots of people.

DJZen
08-24-2006, 08:45 PM
You know technically everyone dies sooner or later...

Medi
08-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Neither Edea or Raine die in FFVIII. They are both obviously in the ending.

The Crystal
08-24-2006, 11:41 PM

Raine died. Ellone said it, in the game(in Esthar i think). The fact that in the end, Laguna is visiting her grave is the prove of it.

Tavrobel
08-24-2006, 11:43 PM
The only main character in X you can really say died during the course of the game is Seymour because as was already mentioned Auron is dead beforehand and Tidus never really existed in the first place

Both Gatta and Luzzu were very important for the game's first half of progression. One of them will die at the massacre that is Operation Mi'ihen.

silentenigma
08-25-2006, 01:40 AM

I don't quite agree with that.

Dynast-Kid
08-25-2006, 01:46 AM
Both Gatta and Luzzu were very important for the game's first half of progression. One of them will die at the massacre that is Operation Mi'ihen.

What do you have to do that decides their fate?

In my game,Luzzu died and I don't know what I did to make him die.

Tavrobel
08-25-2006, 02:03 AM

That's because it's not true. Gatta or Luzzu will die also. Jecht dies, also. Half of the Ronso race is also annihilated, the Crusaders are almost completely scattered and many Al Bhed were injured because of Operation Mi'ihen. There is most certainly death in FFX.

What do you have to do that decides their fate?

In my game,Luzzu died and I don't know what I did to make him die.

It depepnds solely on how many times you talk to Gatta before the start of the mission. After you talk to Kinoc, and before the start of the mission, if you talk to Gatta twice and ONLY TWICE, then he will die. In all other situations, Luzzu will die.

Medi
08-25-2006, 02:12 AM

Raine died. Ellone said it, in the game(in Esthar i think). The fact that in the end, Laguna is visiting her grave is the prove of it.

Holy /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, this was a stupid moment for me. I completely confused Ellone and Raine. I'm dumb sometimes...

Aurons_Desciple
08-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Edea never died, neither did Vivi or Kuja (simply because there's no evidence that they died)

Tavrobel
08-25-2006, 03:21 AM
Actually, it's fairly clear that Kuja dies in FFIX. His last words are indicative of him knowing that he will die.

However, Vivi does not die during the course of the game. It is THOUGHT that he will soon die, due to the wording of the letter's text that appears during the ending cutscenes. It's technicality versus semantics.

Griff
08-25-2006, 12:58 PM

That's because it's not true. Gatta or Luzzu will die also. Jecht dies, also. Half of the Ronso race is also annihilated, the Crusaders are almost completely scattered and many Al Bhed were injured because of Operation Mi'ihen. There is most certainly death in FFX.

I never said there was no death in FFX, I said main characters. Chances are 9/10 people are not going to think of Gatta or Luzzu as main characters in the game, but secondary characters. And nameless fodder at the Mi'ihen and Gagazet massacres don't really qualify as main characters. The only suggestion left is Jecht. And while he was a main character who "died" in the game, he would still fall under the same category as Tidus. In every technical sense, you cant kill something that never really lived to begin with.

Sefie1999AD
08-25-2006, 01:26 PM
*SPOILERS!*

Right, I forgot him. Actually, I remembered him later, but I forgot to edit him into my post. :p

FFT-....lots of people.

That's a tough one. Does anyone have a list of all those who died in FFT, if characters joining your party and crystallizing doesn't count? I remember at least Wiegraf, Miluda, Algus, Larg, Goltana, High Priest Funeral, Dycedarg, Larg, Teta, Ovelia and Delita.

silentenigma
08-26-2006, 10:07 PM
No, no, no. I don't agree with the fact that Tidus didn't exist and therefore didn't die. I know he was "a dream," but that in no way means that he doesn't exist or doesn't live.

No.78
08-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Sorry about Edea, I was told she died. wups.

I forgot I made this topic lol...

Well Auron died, he was sent, and Tidus didn't die, he became alive... lol.

boys from the dwarf
08-27-2006, 11:29 AM
in FF6 ive heard you can kill shadow but i dont think its possible to kill mog.

if you take the item from the theif instead of mog and mog falls you can get him later on in the WoR. thats what i did. hes in a cave with loads of moogles and im pretty sure its a cave near narshe.

Captain Maxx Power
08-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Chronic Maniac pimp slaps every final boss dead just for being ugly.

Wrote in the third-person and references pimps? Best post of this topic by far.

Cid's_Lady_Erin
08-30-2006, 01:33 AM
In CC a couple people die. The Black Knight for starters. The old lady from Leuda and then another guy (I think he was from Marr's Pass). De Nam. If there are more I can't remember currently.

Fireblade13
09-01-2006, 06:34 PM
No playable charcter died exept seymour but ****it! everyone wanted him dead way before his ****ing 2nd form! And then he ruins all the no sphere challenges with his firaga!

FFTA- Everyone died. Really ask Skyblade. Marche commited genocide! Oh and Mewt had is mom die... again.

The Crystal
09-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I heard that Terra die, in the end of FFVI. This is true?

ljkkjlcm9
09-03-2006, 08:54 PM
I heard that Terra die, in the end of FFVI. This is true?

no this is far from true, a lot of people think she should have died, but she didn't. Leo, however, did die in FFVI.

THE JACKEL

BardTard
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Julia dies too in FF8.

Gilthanes
09-05-2006, 01:43 PM
You can kill Mog in FFVI, When you chase the bandit guy to the cliffs of narshe, Mog will spaz out and they both will be hanging from a cliff and you can choose to save either Mog (he joins), or the bandit (you get a gold hairpin)... I guess technically if you go for the Gold Hairpin, Mog falls and you cant recruit him (so one would think hes dead)

Shadow definately dies, Cid CAN die, and Darle dies for sure though its a stretch to call her a main character.

However, the truly famous deaths of all the games combined are Leo and Aeris. Because lets face it, if someones death causes 50000 people to all come up with different secret ways of ressurecting that character, you know its serious

Slothy
09-05-2006, 01:51 PM
You can kill Mog in FFVI, When you chase the bandit guy to the cliffs of narshe, Mog will spaz out and they both will be hanging from a cliff and you can choose to save either Mog (he joins), or the bandit (you get a gold hairpin)... I guess technically if you go for the Gold Hairpin, Mog falls and you cant recruit him (so one would think hes dead)

You can't get him in the world of balance if you do that, but he still shows up in the world of ruin where you can recruit him. He doesn't die.

ljkkjlcm9
09-05-2006, 04:03 PM
However, the truly famous deaths of all the games combined are Leo and Aeris. Because lets face it, if someones death causes 50000 people to all come up with different secret ways of ressurecting that character, you know its serious

Yes but the difference there was, Leo was awesome when you had him if only for like 5 minutes. Aeris was not so much and I don't really care much about reviving. But on my emulator version of FFVI, I typically hack a character and make him/her Leo!

THE JACKEL

No.78
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Mog will spaz out and they both will be hanging from a cliff an

You're persuading me to play FF6

50000 people to all come up with different secret ways of ressurecting that character, you know its serious

Actually they did start a quest to revive Aeris but they didn't finish it before the deadline v_v or something.... Cos you can start the quest.