PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions (If you've played the game)

Conflagration
08-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Please don't post any spoilers, but I have some questions about the game content.

1. Are there any very hard sidequests to get items such as ultimate weapons for characters? (FFX Celestial Weapon sidequests were so damn hard)

2. Are there any Weapons? (Ultima Weapon, Omega Weapon)

3. Is there a worldmap?

4. How long does the game take to beat including sidequests?

5. Is it a good FF? Does it compare to FFX, FFVII, etc?

6. Are there good background music for towns?

If you can answer any of these questions, I'd appreciate it, and please don't spoil anything for me. :)

Orophin
08-24-2006, 03:29 AM
1. Well, there is an optional boss that take 10 hours to beat.

2. Dunno.

3. No.

4. 200 hours.

5. Some peoples hate it, others love it, it depends.

6. The music of FFXII is not as great as the others FF's music. (Uematsu is gone :eep: ) But the music is still good.

I have not played FFXII but I read a lot of reviews and know someone who already beat it.

feona17
08-24-2006, 03:54 AM
I would think it'd be better to get an opinion from someone who has played it, yeah?

Orophin
08-24-2006, 05:14 AM
I would think it'd be better to get an opinion from someone who has played it, yeah?

Well, I knew some of the answers he was asking for so why not tell him what I know about the game?

Aria28
08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Please don't post any spoilers, but I have some questions about the game content.

1. Are there any very hard sidequests to get items such as ultimate weapons for characters? (FFX Celestial Weapon sidequests were so damn hard)

2. Are there any Weapons? (Ultima Weapon, Omega Weapon)

3. Is there a worldmap?

4. How long does the game take to beat including sidequests?

5. Is it a good FF? Does it compare to FFX, FFVII, etc?

6. Are there good background music for towns?

If you can answer any of these questions, I'd appreciate it, and please don't spoil anything for me. :)

Let's see.....

I should warn you that I focused mainly on the main story this time around, so maybe other people will come up with more accurate answers than I can provide regarding sidequests. However, on top of what you were answered above, I can tell you that:

- There is basically one big sidequest, called Mob Hunt (different people will send you off on various quests). The trick is, most sidequests require that you complete others previously to be available. For instance, to get to the optional boss Orophin was referring to when he said it would take ten hours (cannot say since when I got to him using my bf's save, I was beaten within minutes :p), you need to clean all other mob hunts (or most of them, can't remember, anyway). In a sense, the system closest in any FF we've encountered so far is in FFTA, only it's much better and interesting in FF XII, luckily (I'm not the biggest FFTA fan there is :p).

There's no quest similar to that of the celestial weapons, at least not that I have encountered, but you can, however, acquire special equipments either through sidequests, or by trading (you need to acquire a few items that you'll trade in a shop to get high-range equipment)

And of course, Ribbon can only be found at specific places (btw, I only got one in that first game :s)

-It's taken me precisely 62 hours to beat the game going through only a few mob hunts, so I would say 150 hours should be possible. My bf's beaten most of the game, and he is at 142 hours (he is in the game's last stage, but hasn't beaten that optional boss mentioned above)

-It has become my favorite FF (knowing that I haven't played FF III (not yet) or FF XI (not sure I ever will) ). But the system is hugely different from other FFs, and I know some people who didn't like it. It has nothing to do with the demo that was available with Dragonquest, I should add ;)

In terms of reviews though, just to give you an idea, FF XII got 40/40 by Famitsu (it's only one out of a very few to get a perfect score), 9.5 from PSM and 9.5 from Gameplay RPG. Of course, doesn't mean you don't have a right to dislike the game, but it's sign that there's something there that makes it worth giving it a try

-Musics ARE different from Uematsu's, that's a given. For some reasons, it reminds me of the work of Howard Shore for the "Lord of the Rings" movies, not the music itself, but the way it works with the game. They are definitely more "movie music" than Uematsu's, now is that a good thing or a bad thing is up to anyone's jugement. You can already order the OST online, or at least listen to some of it from various sites online (of course, if you like it, don't download, buy!;) ). I almost prefer that soundtrack, especially when listening to the CDs without playing the game (the opening theme, the "Hope" Symphony, "Destiny") - I love Uematsu's work when playing, but I wouldn't play the CDs over and over.

Uematsu's composed the featured song by Angela Aki though, so he's not completely absent from the game ;)

Hope it helps some!

Conflagration
08-24-2006, 11:09 AM
All right thanks for the help, but now I have a couple more questions.

There is no world map? So it's just like FFX?

Is there an airship type thing towards the end of the game, and if yes, is it like the FFX airship where you just pick where you want to go from a list?

And does this "Mob Hunt" take a long time to finish, and do you have to do it all at one time, or do you do it part by part as you proceed through the main story of the game?

And one last question, since monsters just appear there, and there are no random battles, what happens after you kill all of them? Do they respawn after waiting or do you have to leave the area and come back for them to respawn?

Sefie1999AD
08-24-2006, 03:45 PM
-Musics ARE different from Uematsu's, that's a given. For some reasons, it reminds me of the work of Howard Shore for the "Lord of the Rings" movies, not the music itself, but the way it works with the game. They are definitely more "movie music" than Uematsu's, now is that a good thing or a bad thing is up to anyone's jugement. You can already order the OST online, or at least listen to some of it from various sites online (of course, if you like it, don't download, buy!;) ). I almost prefer that soundtrack, especially when listening to the CDs without playing the game (the opening theme, the "Hope" Symphony, "Destiny") - I love Uematsu's work when playing, but I wouldn't play the CDs over and over.

Uematsu's composed the featured song by Angela Aki though, so he's not completely absent from the game ;)

Hope it helps some!

That is most likely because the music is made to sound like a movie score. The tracks use Hitoshi Sakimoto's typical pseudo-orchestral sound, and it's quite epic, so that's why it may feel like the music in LotR movies or Star Wars. The music is mostly synthesized, though, so there's not many live or orchestral songs in the game, except for Opening Movie, Ending Movie, Kiss Me Good-Bye and Symphonic Poem.

Dell
08-24-2006, 05:25 PM
*THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

Hey, Aria18! How do I do Mob Hunt? I know it's at Rabanastre Bar but I don't know how to do it, I found a noticeboard (And clicked it) but nothing happen! I also want to know the cheapest way to make money cause you know the enemy won't give money at all. I'm at the Jahara (Before going to the forest), my party level is 17-20-ish, is that okay? Or do I need some level?.

Conflagration, Mob Hunt is like Monster Arena in FFX. And FFXII does not have a world map but you can teleport by using a teleport stone. Yes, the monster dissapear but they will appear after you return to that map again (Enter another screen and return).

*END OF SPOILERS*

Aria28
08-26-2006, 04:43 AM
All right thanks for the help, but now I have a couple more questions.

There is no world map? So it's just like FFX?

Is there an airship type thing towards the end of the game, and if yes, is it like the FFX airship where you just pick where you want to go from a list?

And does this "Mob Hunt" take a long time to finish, and do you have to do it all at one time, or do you do it part by part as you proceed through the main story of the game?

And one last question, since monsters just appear there, and there are no random battles, what happens after you kill all of them? Do they respawn after waiting or do you have to leave the area and come back for them to respawn?

Early on in the game, you get a world map you can access from your party menu. But the world map really shows little and serves little purpose apart from showing you where you are on a continental level. Places you can access are indicated as spots, and those spots often span over half a dozen areas for the smallest, so on top of the world map, you have maps for all those various places. Some you automatically get, others you can buy. You have a small map that shows up in the top-right corner though, just like in FF X

Mob Hunt is a series of missions you're sent off to. You're introduced to the first one at the beginning of the game; after that, quests are unlocked at certains points of the game, but also depending on your rank and on which quests you've completed prior. I haven't explored that aspect of the game too much though the first time around. I've actually begun my new game today, so hopefully I should be able to come back with more precise informations if necessary

Like vivi_ultima said, you can actually kill all monsters in one area, but go away for a few and come back to find new ones. If the area is big enough and you spend enough time in there, they may actually be back without you exiting the zone, if I remember well (unless they just follow you around from afar, sometimes it's hard to tell - yes, they actually follow you sometimes, and nothing short of exiting the zone can get them off your back for the most persistent!)

There is a ship you can use, but you definitely don't use it much, for several reasons. It's definitely not quite the same as in FF X

Hey, Aria18! How do I do Mob Hunt? I know it's at Rabanastre Bar but I don't know how to do it, I found a noticeboard (And clicked it) but nothing happen! I also want to know the cheapest way to make money cause you know the enemy won't give money at all. I'm at the Jahara (Before going to the forest), my party level is 17-20-ish, is that okay? Or do I need some level?.

Conflagration, Mob Hunt is like Monster Arena in FFX. And FFXII does not have a world map but you can teleport by using a teleport stone. Yes, the monster dissapear but they will appear after you return to that map again (Enter another screen and return).

*END OF SPOILERS*

Ok, possible spoilers here to answer (but not about the storyline):

I don't know how many mobs you've done already....remember when you talked to Tomji the first time you went into Rabanastre bar? He explains something about a contract. Basically, reading the ad is not enough; you'll need to find the person who posted that ad first and talk to them. Once you agree to do what they ask, you'll enter into a contract with them. Kill whatever needs killing and come back to that person to get your reward.

Also, you may want to visit Montblanc, also in Rabanastre. It's free and it's a good way to make more money and win more items.

End of possible spoilers

Ah, money, that's the huge problem I think any player faces in the game, LOL I haven't found a way to make sure money the easy way. Mob hunts can earn you some nice rewards, and if you visit an area over and over, you'll get new treasure chests (or pots, as it were, LOL), some of them with money, and some with items you would spend a lot of money on otherwise, even gambits, btw. Also don't hesitate to use the steal ability for some money and some more items for free. Promise I'll let you know if I find out an easier way ^-^

I must admit I don't remember clearly at which level I was. I think around 25-28, but I tend to over-level, so it doesn't mean you cannot survive under that. I'd say that a good gestion of gambits can make up for very low levels....

Hope it helps :)

Tainted Angel
08-27-2006, 12:45 AM

The ATB level of the demo had respawning monsters. So.. guess so?

tidus_rox
08-27-2006, 01:23 AM
How have all of you played the game?

Aria28
08-27-2006, 11:19 AM

Bought the FF XII bundle (japanese ps2 + game); you can run a japanese ps2 without problem if you live in the US, and with a plug and a voltage converters if you live in Europe like me. Some knowledge of Japanese is also highly recommended, since I don't think there's a comprehensive guide with the translation of both the storyline and of the items/spells/accessories/weapons and their effects (although you can come close by combining some of the guides at gamefaqs, but you'll still need at least to know how to read the kanas to recognize those names)

Dell
09-07-2006, 04:31 PM

I found this game in a videogame shop, I thought it was in English but it's Japanese instead. Of course, I can't understand anything in the game because I only know some of basic Japanese words. So I decided to get a guide and play through the game without knowing the story, but learning the systems and bosses. That'll alarm me on my next playthrough which I focus more on the story.

*THIS NEXT PART OF THE GAME HAVE SPOILERS*

Aria28, I finally know how to do the mob hunts and am currently doing it. Thank you so much ^___^! And I've also found the best way to get money is to STEAL an item then sell!
Okay, I'm in Mosphoran Highwaste. I intend to level some more levels for my party. A guide says that the recommended level for Salikawood is 35-37, my best level is only 30...........so I'm trying to get my level to 33, is that fine? And at this stage of game, should I get my hands on optional Espers? I'm sick of using Mattheus and Velias....Shumihaza, Hashmalim and Famfrit are still far from Mosphoran Highwaste...

Aria28
09-13-2006, 09:38 AM

Aria28, I finally know how to do the mob hunts and am currently doing it. Thank you so much ^___^! And I've also found the best way to get money is to STEAL an item then sell!
Okay, I'm in Mosphoran Highwaste. I intend to level some more levels for my party. A guide says that the recommended level for Salikawood is 35-37, my best level is only 30...........so I'm trying to get my level to 33, is that fine? And at this stage of game, should I get my hands on optional Espers? I'm sick of using Mattheus and Velias....Shumihaza, Hashmalim and Famfrit are still far from Mosphoran Highwaste...

*WARNING: POSSIBLE GAMEPLAY SPOILER/NO STORY SPOILER*

Sorry, I hadn't seen this thread until now.....

Really, I'm always over-levelling, so I think I was around the 40s back there, but honestly, I'm pretty sure you could manage even under 35 as long as you have a very good gambits setting, good equipment, and the right tactics against the boss. And if you've learned level 2 or 3 Mist Knacks, those can help you a lot to finish an enemy (I find them more useful than the Espers you have at this point).

I am so sorry, but I didn't get optional espers in my first play. I'm trying to get there this time, but since I'm just before the Tomb of Raithwall right now, you understand I'm not gonna get there before a little while :)

Dell
09-13-2006, 04:39 PM

*WARNING: POSSIBLE GAMEPLAY SPOILER/NO STORY SPOILER*

Sorry, I hadn't seen this thread until now.....

Really, I'm always over-levelling, so I think I was around the 40s back there, but honestly, I'm pretty sure you could manage even under 35 as long as you have a very good gambits setting, good equipment, and the right tactics against the boss. And if you've learned level 2 or 3 Mist Knacks, those can help you a lot to finish an enemy (I find them more useful than the Espers you have at this point).

I am so sorry, but I didn't get optional espers in my first play. I'm trying to get there this time, but since I'm just before the Tomb of Raithwall right now, you understand I'm not gonna get there before a little while :)

Don't worry. Luckily, Mobs Hunt allow me to access greater armor. I'm in Tchita Uplands right now. My party level is 35. And all of them have learned level 3 Mist Knack (Except for Penelo).
It is really hard to chain Mist Knacks? The highest I get to do was 15.........
Other question I have is in this stage of game, what level of mobs hunt should I do?

Guardians
09-14-2006, 03:17 PM
1. Yes, in order to get strongest weapon, u must get a set of item and sell to the shop in order to gte the weapon, these kind of item is hard to get. Besides this, there still got a lot quest to do, depend on the level the quest u do, more high lv, more hard.

Some weapon like Zodiac Spear, u ned to open treasure chest to get it, therefore, not 100% u will get it, u ned to equip a ring(to get good item) and u got a low chance to get....(below 10%), and the treasure chest not everytimes apper also. Some treasure chest only apper 1 times, after u open then it wont appear anymore.

2. Weapon i dunno, but the summon already is stronge monster already, u can get 4 or 5 summon according to the walkthrough, other u must do the quest and defeat it (in order to gte summon, u must fight with it 1st). Besides this, still got other stronge monster that u ned to fight for doing quest. There got rare monster also that appear when the requirement is meet like weather or else...

3. what world map u mean? world map is sure got , just a piece of paper XD, if u say the world like FF 7,8,9 , the answer is no, FF XII like FFX , no worldmaps

4.Haha, quite long, i play 30 hour already, in the half way, the percent of quest that i had done not over 20%(all i done is easy quest). I think is quite long to do all the quest.

5.Depends

6.The background music.... different from previous FF, because not Umeatsu compose, the background music is like online game's music.

Dell
09-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Safely made it to the Feywood. Tchita was the blast, I get three level there. 38! Shumihaza is waiting for me to pick her! Giruvegan is right in front of me!!!!! P.S. : Reddas sucks more than Basch.