PDA

View Full Version : DID Sephiroth have a tatoo?

Fire_Emblem776
08-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Did it say in the game at all? Besides the obsuce

"There is only one reference that I have found to the #1 tattoo, and that's when Cloud is in Corel, and the man sitting outside the shack says that he saw a man in a black cape with a #1 tattoo on his arm. What makes me doubt that this Black Cape with the #1 tattoo is Sephiroth, is 1) Sephiroth's clothing is long-sleeved, and he is often seen wearing gloves. If this is the case, how did the man see a tattoo on Sephiroth's arm? "

cloudff7tm
08-24-2006, 09:37 AM
i think the man sitting outside thr shack was talking about those people in the black cloaks.arent they numbered are something like that cause i really dont think sephiroth has a tatoo.

G SpOtZ
08-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Can Sephiroth's clothing even be considered as a black "cloak"? I'm pretty sure they're talking about those fully cloaked people, the followers of Sephy.

chronic_Maniac
08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
yeah and seph was crystalized in mako at the northern cave for the whole time. There we fully got to see him naked.... pubic patch

TheSpoonyBard
08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Only the Sephiroth Clones and Red XIII were tatooed, not Sephiroth himself.

Xurts
08-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Sephiroth did not have a tattoo on his arm.

abrojtm
08-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Did this guy are sick have number 1? Or was he like 7 or something?

TheSpoonyBard
08-24-2006, 11:58 PM
He was number 2.

Garn the Red
08-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Sephiroth was the original thus there is no Tattoo. If he did it would have to be #0. Then the clones are numbered. Which makes me wonder how red got his tattoo.

TheSpoonyBard
08-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Hojo gave it to him, most likely because Red was a research specimen of his. At the Gold Saucer Red mistakes this tattoo to mean that he is a Sephiroth Clone and worries about going crazy, but you later find out this cannot be true.

G SpOtZ
08-25-2006, 02:34 AM
I think Sephiroth would be even more confused, and start thinking he was originally of Nanaki's species.

Araciel
08-25-2006, 07:59 AM
He was number 2.

RDRR number 2 he sure did smell like it as i remember

sephirothishere
08-25-2006, 11:12 AM
number 2 he sure did smell like it as i remember

hahahahahahhahahahhahaahah.......
yeh sephiroth never had a tatoo cuz he was like born not so much jus an experiment....the other dudes were changed physically by hojo and numbered so he could keep an eye on them....sephiroth was the original...how would sephiroth get a tatoo...he doesnt even bleed...hahahahahhahahahahahahah...

Madame Adequate
08-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I think Sephiroth would be even more confused, and start thinking he was originally of Nanaki's species.

This would have led to a hilarious new plot line.

chronic_Maniac
08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
number 2 he sure did smell like it as i remember

hahahahahahhahahahhahaahah.......
yeh sephiroth never had a tatoo cuz he was like born not so much jus an experiment....the other dudes were changed physically by hojo and numbered so he could keep an eye on them....sephiroth was the original...how would sephiroth get a tatoo...he doesnt even bleed...hahahahahhahahahahahahah...

He bleed after cloud used Omni slash at the end of the game.

Garn the Red
08-25-2006, 03:02 PM

Watch him start walking on 4 legs.Cloud: "I know its you Sephiroth!" Sephiroth: "Meow!"

Laugh at face of Danger
08-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Yes, as I'm sure many other people have told you in the thread (i'm not reading it because i'm lazy). A guy in what's left of that place Barret came from asks:

"Is is a trend in the city to get a tattoo of a number?"
"Yes/No"
"Really? Because i saw a guy in a black cape with the number one on the back of his hand."

~~ Everyone should go back and play their games right now!!! I know i'm right!!! *fumes and cries*

Garn the Red
08-25-2006, 05:07 PM
"Is is a trend in the city to get a tattoo of a number?"
"Yes/No"
"Really? Because i saw a guy in a black cape with the number one on the back of his hand."

Well i feel bested now. I'm gonna go eat a Taru now.

aquatius
08-25-2006, 05:53 PM
The guy asks if tattoos are a trend in city's you can answer yes or haven't noticed.

HolyMackeral
08-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Because 'the real Sephiroth" is at the Northern Cave the whole game, the one that you follow and talk to throughout the game up to that point is actually a clone. The #1 clone.

You're right. This is the end of this body's usefulness.

So perhaps this 'clone' is one that Sephiroth can actually control by power of will (it is meantioned during the game how strong his will is)

The
combination of Jenova cells, Sephiroth's strong will and my own weakness are
what created me.

So um yeah.... I think he does have a tattoo.

Griff
08-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Sephiroth's only tattoo is of a heart with the word "Mother" written across it.

Sephiroth
12-22-2012, 12:18 PM
I know this thread is 100 years old but I have the urge to post in it.

First of all, to clear things up:

Sephiroth is the man with the "1" tatoo. It simply was forgotten or changed after such a long time. Like many things in Final Fantasy VII which are not important enough to be part of the main story line.

You follow Sephiroth all the time. He is also named the "Man with the Black Cape" - which is one of the main reasons why he is mistaken with his clones. The theme "Chasing the Man with the Black Cape" is about chasing Sephiroth and not a clone. Notice that this theme first is played when the real Sephiroth hunt begins in the Mythril Mines after Cloud's story in Kalm.

Where do you hear several stories about the man with the black cape?

Kalm - A man tells you about a suspicious looking man in a black cape with a monstrous sword.
Mt. Corel - After you have met Sephiroth you will find a man sitting on a stone. Now that you have continued your chase he mentions a man passing by not listening to him that the mountain is dangerous. No sign of him being Sephiroth in particular but the heroes always mean Sephiroth and listen to stories about Sephiroth when they ask people. And yes, even though Sephiroth was famous he is often just called a "man". This was to let him seem like the shadow he seems to be and which you are trying to catch all the time.
North Corel - The man was seen again. He was a guy who went to the Gold Saucer and "who looked cool with the '1' on his arm/hand"
Gold Saucer - Dio sees the man and states he has a tatoo when Cloud asks
Gold Saucer - Dio mentions he has seen Sephiroth
Gold Saucer - right before you go to the Temple

Now you might wonder why exactly Sephiroth has a tatoo and which sense it would make. Well first of all it is simply because he was meant to be the first result of the Jenova Project (Genesis and Angeal were not written at that time). The number 1 was given to him since it was something special and to show that he was a success. It has nothing to do with "clones are the only people who get numbers". So they could give him a number with a special meaning to fit into the list of people who have a number. Sephiroth is try and success #1 and the others came afterwards when they wanted to replace him.
There are various reasons to wonder how Sephiroth can actually have a tatoo but in fact none of them shows that him a having a tatoo is paradox.
- Sephiroth does not wander around in his real body. Meaning even in case he would have a tatoo you could not see it.
Explanation: You could see it. Sephiroth wanders around in an exactly similiar looking body. He has the ability to shapeshift and can change his appearance the way he wants it to be. The "how could you even see that tatoo with him wearing gloves?" is a logical question but is not meant to be answered in the story, it simply is not meant to be this logical meaning there was a meta-story reason which allowed the NPC to "look through the gloves" because they wanted to give you another hint where Sephiroth is and even some of his character detail.
- Why would Sephiroth have never wondered about that?
Explanation: Meta-story. This is not the way you are supposed to think. It was just added for detail about the story itself. I could also ask you why Sephiroth just did not defeat the characters in the first place or why the Dragon Ball characters don't move in light speed all the time during their battles even though they can do that without any problems. Meta-story is an excuse for many things. Sometimes it is just "this has to be ignored or the idea does not work this way".
- Dio would mention Sephiroth twice, that is not logical.
Explanation: The whole "have you seen this man?" thing is partly optional. This way they could be sure that you would know about Sephiroth even though he mentions once that he did not know where he was heading to (optional) and then that Sephiroth was going in Gongaga's direction.
- When the characters are talking about Sephiroth and the clones, Cait Sith mentions the man who asked Dio for the Black Materia, the Black Cape is mentioned and they suddenly mix the topic Sephiroth and the other men.
Explanation: This is definitely the oddest of the events. It simply is because they all are mentioned to have black clothes and they wanted to explain the connection of Sephiroth and his clones. They mixed the topic so fast that it is very confusing and that you could mean that it is another one after the line "Sephiroth wants the Black Materia" and "Dio said a man in a black cape asked him about the Black Materia", especially because they did not mention Sephiroth as "the man" since he was not said to be "the man", admittedly. Nevertheless he is the man and Sephiroth does visit the Gold Saucer because he wants to know something about the Black Materia and does not send his clones for that. Especially not since his appearance in the Gold Saucer was stated.
- He is never shown to have a tatoo in the final sequence or the final battle.
Explanation: They did not think about it. There were other things to think about and the tatoo thing is not the only one which was told and seems to be paradox because of other things. Actually there are some other things in the story which should not work, even with the meta-story-reason simply because either one would work or the other one (like Lucrecia's statement about her having Jenova cells even though Hojo states in the same game that the cells were injected inside Sephiroth while he was in Lucrecia's womb which means she would not have any cells meaning it was easier storytelling/forgotten and actually the easier storytelling part is the better one because it also includes Lucrecia's explanation and makes Sephiroth a unique experiment).

For the whole adventure you are not following some other, young and powerful cool looking guy (normal Sephiroth clones don't look cool and they just did not meant, yeah there was a sick guy, he looked terrible but his tatoo looked good) you actually never meet and whose tatoo you cannot see. No. It is all about Sephiroth. You go from town to town and ask for Sephiroth. The reason why you cannot take a look at the character's tatoo is only because he is the main villain. You actually never even see a Sephiroth clone (except the one in the Slums and Cloud who does not know about it) until you reach Nibelheim. Well, there is the seller in Junon who once was in SOLDIER and has the "urge to wear black capes" after the reunion has begun but that one does not count since he is no Sephiroth clone in general. You never see Sephiroth clones wandering around before Nibelheim and you only see them in locations where Sephiroth is (Nibelheim, Temple, Northern Crater). You might think "but the clones' numbers can be seen so why would that work with Sephiroth?" - The clones numbers can only be seen because Cloud goes to them and takes a close look at their body, even their neck which is covered by the black hood and they don't do anything since they are sick. The NPC did not do that. It was just not meant to be that logical. It was the "give them another hint about the villain" concept in a part of the storyline when you did no even know about the Sephiroth clones. And I may mention that the man with the "1" tatoo is mentioned more than once and you never actually see him - if you are looking for someone else than Sephiroth who is the man all the villagers are talking about during your journey. And it is Sephiroth only and not Sephiroth the first half and a clone the second half the people are talking about the man. Yes, the Ultimania does not mention Sephiroth in particular as the man with the "1". Either that was forgotten like I have said or it was not important enough to point out - since it is obvious. And by all means, you never follow a Sephiroth clone with the #1 and the clone is the Sephiroth you see all the time. No. That is the real Sephiroth. True will + replica body, only cloned by his own power and not from a Sephiroth clone but with Jenova's body = real Sephiroth. And Sephiroth has the tatoo.

I admit it is very, very confusing but he is the one.