PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie Profile?

cloudff7tm
08-24-2006, 10:07 AM
I was reading a magazine and there was something for Valkyrie Profile.This was the first time i heard of this game and when i read about the story i didnt understand.Can someone please explain to the story to me and tell me if it is worth buying.I would apreciate it.

Captain Maxx Power
08-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Unless you have a PSP then you're out of luck. The PSX version is out-of-print and has been for some time. You may be able to find a copy on eBay, but they're about as rare as a yodelling mongoose. As for whether or not you should play it and the story, I'll let my Lookout and resident Tri-Ace fanboy Zeromus_X deal with that one.

Dreddz
08-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Valkyrie Profile is definately worth playing, I got it for my PSP recently. You'll have no luck on ebay ( unless your rich ). Think of Valkyrie Profile as one of the many reasons to get a PSP. The game is alot of fun, it may even be worth the steep price tag on ebay....

Auragaea
08-24-2006, 05:42 PM
You could also get an emulator and play it, but that's illegal. Really, this game isn't AS great as many make it out to be. It is one of my favorite RPGs, but there are more fun games out there.

Zeromus_X
08-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Such a fan that he payed $140 US on Ebay...

The story revolves around a Valkyrie (Norse battle maiden) named Lenneth Valkyrie. Her job is to gather warriors ('Einharjar') for Odin to fight in the final battle, Ragnarok. As you progress through the game, you recruit more Einharjar (while finding out about their own dramatic backstories) and unlock more about Lenneth's own past and sealed memories. The story is filled with Norse Mythology (albeit very artistically liberated) and other wonderful things.

The gameplay is pretty neat, and unique. As Lenneth, you begin at the beginning of the game, and recruit your first two Einharjar. There's then the first dungeon, which serves as a tutorial (by the wonderful goddess of fertility, Freya). After that, you have eight chapters left until the end of the world (Ragnarok), with I 24 periods each. You fly around the world map, entering areas. Entering a town or dungeon or other area will cost you one period, so make sure everything you do counts. But you'll have plenty of periods to do what you want. But before you go anywhere, you must use 'Soul Concentration' which unlocks new areas and dungeons. There's different music for this depending on whether you'll find a potential Einharjar or a new dungeon.

Unlike most RPGs, Valkyrie Profile acts as a platformer outside of battle (hence the title). Lenneth can jump, strike, and do other neat platforming things. She can also shoot ice crystals to freeze bad guys and stop them for a limited time. She can also make single ice crystals, enlarge them, or built platforms out of crystal dust to solve puzzles or reach treasure.

However, when you touch an enemy or strike them, battle begins, and it's much different from a platformer. Battle is psuedo-turn based. Each character on your team is assigned a certain button. By pressing that button, that character attacks, and you can build up attacks to make a combo. If the combo bar reaches 100 % (filled up by your attacks, not necessarily 100 whole attacks), you can use a special attack from one of your characters, a "Purify Wierd Soul". These are pretty spiffy attacks that have some cool quote to go along with them usually. If one PWS fills up the combo meter again, you can use another PWS, but the combo meter will automatically go down to a set point again, so use your PWS strategically.

Speaking of Einharjar...there are two types. There are the warrior Einharjar, who use a variety of weapons, and mage Einharjar, who use spells. Warriors can equip Swords, Two-Handed Swords, Katana, Bows, and Spears, while mages can learn spells from spell books. Warriors usually can attack more than once in a combo with advanced weapons, and mages can hit multiple enemies or hit an enemy multiple times with their spells, but they have to charge up for a few turns before acting again.

There's a hell of a lot more, but I've typed enough. Just go buy the game! You won't be disappointed. If you have a PSP, get the 'Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth' version. It has sextastic CG cutscenes. Other than that, from what I know, it holds true to the original version. You won't regret getting it! But, really, don't spend too much money for the original unless you're a rabid tri-Ace fanatic like I am.

I'm sure Black Mage could explain the story better than I can, though.

cloudff7tm
08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks Zeromus.If i ever see it i will buy it and if not i guess i will have to get a psp.

Jowy
08-25-2006, 01:34 AM
I found my copy with the GameStop item locator thingy and just got it transferred to the store I used to work at. $60 US if they have it anywhere and will transfer it to a location near you.

jj984jj
08-25-2006, 05:06 PM
I bought it years ago when everyone who's buying the downgraded PSP port should have. Awesome game, I'm glad S-E is making Silmeria for PS2, I'll be sure to buy it day 1.

Dreddz
08-25-2006, 10:47 PM
I bought it years ago when everyone who's buying the downgraded PSP port

The port isnt downgraded, if anything, its upgraded with the new FMV's...

DJZen
08-26-2006, 04:40 PM
This game is probably the only good RPG for the PSP that I can think of. Since the original is a rarity, this is a good way to go for those that missed out the first time around and for those who aren't collectors.

Jowy
08-26-2006, 11:27 PM
I found the battles in the remake to just be a slight bit laggier than the PSX counterpart. Still not that big of a deal though.

ValkyrieWing
08-26-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm sad I don't have a PSP...but since I work @ GameStop, I got to play it for 15 minutes....*sigh*

Lucian had PORES, for god's sakes!

Gansx
08-27-2006, 08:02 AM
I think its a tad bit darker from the psx version since it was stretch a little to fit the psp.

Did anyone have trouble with "Cave of Oblivion" early in the game? Cause...I'm skip it as much as I could and started with the next 'Soul Concentration'.

~SapphireStar~
08-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Im so tempted to buy it for my PSP, but Im £10 short of the cheapest price on Ebay :( I have the PS1 version, my ex finally downloaded it for me and Im enjoying it. Its difficult without a manuel hence the reason I want the PSP version. Beautiful game!

Jowy
08-27-2006, 10:47 AM
There's really nothing noteworthy in the Cave of Oblivion. I always just skip it.

ValkyrieWing
08-27-2006, 09:54 PM
You're supposed to get stuff in there. I never did, though. For some reason, the boxes just weren't there.

Black Mage
08-27-2006, 11:15 PM
The Caves of Oblivion are good for two things: experience and treasure.

It's usually not a good idea to venture into the Caves, unless you know precisely what pattern you're on, until the later chapters. Keep in mind, however, that while shooting for the A ending time tends to be tight and difficult to fit the Caves in.

The Caves of Oblivion are great places to garner any extra experience. The monster's levels vary, which is why it's better to come later rather than sooner, as to avoid being wiped out.

The real charm of the Caves is the treasure found within. The problem there, however, is that the treasure appear randomly. Sometimes they will be present, others not. If you have the extra time, reset/reloading is a good way to get what you need.

I can't supply a full list of the treasures off the top of my head, but a few that I seem to remember are Necklace Doll, various ore, a Mighty Check, Ebony Powder, and a Golden Egg.

Some might seem rather ordinary, but you can transmutate them into more effective material. For Example, the Necklace Doll can be transmuted into a Gem of Creation, and the Ebony Powder into various potions. There are also other noteworthy treasures, and if you're interested, I'm sure there are lists on gamefaqs.

Also, about the PSP port. I wouldn't say it's an upgrade, as aside from widescreen and the FMV nothing of note was added. In fact, the original censorship was kept, and the fix for Barbarossa's Big Magic, which existed in the English PSX version, was not returned to the PSP port. That, along with the load times associated with the menus, it's actually a rather poor port of an amazing game.

By all means, don't let that stop you from picking it up, but if you have a choice between the PSX version and the PSP I'd most definitely choose the PSX.

ValkyrieWing
08-28-2006, 03:51 AM
However, finding the original is almost impossible, which is why I'm lucky I have a friend I can steal...er....BORROW it from. :P

~SapphireStar~
09-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Well Ive just purchased the PSP version for £22.99 buy it now on ebay! My loans due Monday so hopefully that'll cancel out anything I owe the bank! I shouldnt have sent it to my home address though :( Should have sent it to my uni one! Doh!