PDA

View Full Version : Does Videogame Violence corrupt our nations' youth?

Ashley Schovitz
08-24-2006, 07:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yREGBKZggwA
After watching this interview I decided to discuss the topic here with you all. Do you agree with Jack Thompson that all videogame violence will affect all teens an maybe children negatively who play it? I vastly disagree It is just stupid to think that a single game could destroy our civilization and how other things that influence violence get ignored. I heard from the news before that unrated movies can be purchased by anyone since they don't have a rating so yeah a 9 year old could by a movie that might have a few nude scenes., but is there frivoulous debates about that and viloent movies? NO!

Many others cause much more of an influence on children like how the way they were raised, the neighborhood they grew up in, violent books. I mean it's just really frivolous to imply a few viloent videogames will influence the majority who play it that they'll become violent. I'm not saying that no one is influenced there may be a couple of crazy people that might mimic murders and crimes from videogames, but I can assure you that most people who play them don't be doing the monkey see monkey do. the government just doing this just hide away from a lot of their other problems like the situations that people live in the ghettos and the slums, now that's way more influential than games.

Captain Maxx Power
08-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Of course it does. Why just today I massacred a field full of orphans using my elite skills I learned from Pacman.

Ashley Schovitz
08-24-2006, 07:21 PM
please be serious.

Roto13
08-24-2006, 07:32 PM
If you want to be serious, you should make a topic in Eyes on Each Other. Except not really, because the topic already exists in Eyes on Each Other. http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=90772

Griff
08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
I had to do a report for English class on this very subject, this is what I created:

Over the past few years video games have caused a bit of controversy. Now gamers can’t go anywhere without getting lectured on how video games are corrupting youth and making them violent, desensitized, immoral, emotionless robots. The most recent cause of controversy was the game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which in mid-2005 had to be recalled from multiple retailers because of a previously unnoticed mod which was named “Hot Coffee”. The mod allowed players to have uncensored sex with prostitutes throughout the game. Parents everywhere went into an uproar about how their children were able to see pixilated breasts and placed all the blame on publisher Rockstar Games for this outrage. There are multiple problems with this idea: Rockstar had removed the content from the game because they deemed it too graphic, “Hot Coffee” could only be accessed through an unlicensed mod, and most importantly the game was rated mature to begin with and henceforth the parent would have had to buy the game for the youngster anyways. Rockstar Games was really the only thing trying to stop youth from viewing the hot content.
“Hot Coffee” got a double double in the controversy department as it also gave rebirth to talks of how violent video games create violent youth. Many psychological tests have been done to find out if the epidemic of youth violence multiple political figures such as Hilary Clinton have mentioned in recent years. There is only one problem with what they are suggesting: There is no epidemic of youth violence! As shown on these graphs which were taken from the FBI’s website, with obvious tags added to mark the release of the playstation and the GTA games, since the release of the original playstation violent crimes have dropped dramatically, especially in youths, and the only age group with a rise in violence is adults age 25-34. All this despite the fact that games have only gotten more violent over the past 11 years. This basically proves that youth are using the violence in video games as a release for any violent thoughts they may have, creating the most mild mannered generation in years. The elder generations are just unfairly marking the games as bad because they don’t understand it. Did they not do the same thing with Rock and roll in the 80’s? But much like rock music, video games aren’t going to roll over and die just because of the bias of people picking at the carcass of a forgotten ideal of life like a pack of hyenas. Everyone needs to learn that the times change and with it so do people’s ideals of life. Someday in the future our generation will have been surpassed in pop culture and we won’t understand the new way either, but it will be something we will need to live with too. Thank you.

PS. Sorry for the large pics.

bipper
08-24-2006, 07:41 PM
I think anal retentive parents and authritah figures make children more violent than pixelated eye candy.

I Am Stoner
08-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Video games dont corrupt the youth. I do. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:mwahaha:

Sunny Day Suicide
08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Actually I read that a dude who played Tomb Raider knew how to tell this one bomb others.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-24-2006, 08:31 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=90772