PDA

View Full Version : What Is Final Fantasy Tactics?

EMX
08-24-2006, 08:53 PM
It seems a silly question to ask, really. Basically, I've heard of, and seen screenshots of "Final Fantasy Tactics". However, I've never really understood whether it is like the other Final Fantasys, in the typical RPG, level-up, dungeon leads to boss style, or a completely different type of game. Therefore, I was wondering if someone could explain Final Fantasy Tactics, preferably in a nutshell.

And, how come it was never released on PSX in the UK? I know it is out on the GameBoy Advance. Is this the same version, or does it differ slightly/drastically from the original PlayStation version?

Zeromus_X
08-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics is alot different from the other Final Fantasies, somewhat confuddling storyline aside. Battles take place on an isometric rotatable board, where you move your characters (units) around like chess pieces, and perform actions in battle. It's pretty addicting, believe it or not. After successful actions, exp and AP are rewarded to the unit so you can level up and 'purchase' new abilities for your job (Tactics has a Job System).

There's also 'Tactics Advance', a Gameboy Advance game, which is also equally addictive. Edit: It is not the same game, it is a different game with a different system, but still similar gameplay (move around units, etc.) And from what I understand, PAL regions get screwed out of games alot.

EMX
08-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Ah - now I understand the Tactics bit. Sounds different. I'll have to get it off eBay or somewhere and see what it's like.

Thanks.

dodhungry
08-25-2006, 01:15 AM
I do believe this was not mentioned. TACTICS IS THE BEST GAME OF ITS TYPE :tongue: :D

I have logged more hours on tactics than any other game I own. (only FFXI is catching up very quickly :mad: )

BG-57
08-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics has several things that make it particularly great:

You can recruit almost any generic foe onto your side.

You can breed your own army of monsters and poach them for rare cool items.

You have a huge cast of unique characters to play with, so you can always find characters that suit your gameplay style.

The most flexible job system ever that puts even FFV and FFX-2 to shame. Best of all, you can mix and match primary and secondary skill sets to your hearts content. You can have a Knight that casts Black Magic or a White Mage that can fight like a Monk. Endlessly addictive. :D

A lot of subquests and Propositions to keep you busy.

A great plot, but almost too elaborate for its own good.

Moderately difficult to beat, but a lot of effort to master everything.

I hope it doesn't sound like hyperbole to say that it's the closest of the Final Fantasy series to being flawless.

aerithsloveslave
08-25-2006, 06:18 PM
FFT is hands down my favorite FF out there. It has an extremely deep job system and the incredibly rich storyline is mired only by its engrish translation. Definitetly worth an import.

MogThief
08-26-2006, 02:11 PM
I recommend that you get this game. It is that good and very addicting. It came out in 1998, and I'm still playing to this day, though not as much as I want to.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
08-27-2006, 06:14 AM
It has my girl! The Gatherer of Power In the Sky and STRIKE! LIGHTNING STAB! AGRIAS OAKS!!!

Let me give you your ONLY WARNING... Once you start this game an get into it... You won't stop. There are sooooooo many things to do during and before you beat the game. The story and music alone are why treasure this game so much! You're gonna be spending hours trying to find out what you CAN'T do in this game and then there are special challenges like

THE THIRTEEN MONKS OF GROG HILL!

And

THE QUEST FOR SERPENTARUS!

Rare items, special guest cameos ;) (shh!)

Optionally set your characters to Auto-Battle... Heaps of fun when someone cast "Meteor"... LOL RUN!! Seriously Run.

And so much more. If it weren't for this game I would have lost all faith in Final Fantasy when VIII came out. The only flaw you're gonna see in this game is... It's not two player.

Zeromus_X
08-27-2006, 06:25 AM
Be warned, you will be confused. The plot isn't as 'elaborate' as it is 'poorly translated' and 'confusing as hell'. But you will enjoy the villains...:cat:

Please read the Germonik Scriptures.

It has my girl! The Gatherer of Power In the Sky and STRIKE! LIGHTNING STAB! AGRIAS OAKS!!!

<3

LunarWeaver
08-27-2006, 07:47 AM
I think I should mention it's also different from the others in setup. You don't explore any sort of world map, or explore any dungeons or towns. There's a static map, and you select the place from a dot and just go there, getting into battles on dots you pass on the way. You will never directly control your character in the same sense as the other Final Fantasy games outside of battle, but most Strategy RPGs are like that.

This isn't a bad thing, and this game is awesome =D I just thought I'd say that since you wanted to know if it was same general set up and all. The game really is great if you just give it the devotion.

Just don't use Cid, it's as bad as cheating XD

Pharoh Amon Khan III
08-27-2006, 08:50 AM
And don't forget to rob "The Silver Orge" like he owned you money!:radred:

Gilthanes
08-29-2006, 04:54 PM
The game it most resembles would be Tactics Ogre if you have ever played that game. Main differences are of course, Final fantasy style jobs and magic, fewer men on the board, and closer up and more detailed in graphics.

FFT is one of a kind in the FFT series, and if you like strategy games and final fantasy, you will love this one. As someone mentioned before, I dont think I've ever played a game more than this one, in fact, I dare say it has the most replay value of any game I've ever found. I can honestly say I've played and replayed FFT all the way through at least 20 times, each time trying something new and different, or handicapping myself to make it more interesting.

Something I'd recommend doing if you feel like you are the FFT champ, find the gameshark code that gives your opponents infinite JP. What this means is that as soon as their MP totals allow it, you'll start seeing them bust out Bahamut, Flare, Holy, Muramasa, etc, very early in the game. Really takes the game to a whole new difficulty level when you're opponents have that kind of power