PDA

View Full Version : Leveling up weapons and spells

Michael Belmont
08-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Guys question. About the weapons and spells at a certin level why can't they go up fether?

rubah
08-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Because Square decided that 1600 usages of every spell, shield, and armor were more than enough.

But seriously. You might as well ask why you can't level above level 99, or if you're playing ff8, 100.

Sylvie
08-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Because Squeenix says so.

Michael Belmont
08-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm not talking about level 16 i'm talking about when Maria's fire bliazzard and thunder spell reached 5 but they can't go up any farther and when the cure spell reached 10 same gos for that and the weapons reach 4 same gos for that.

Sefie1999AD
08-27-2006, 01:10 PM
It's a level cap the purpose of which is to make sure you can't overlevel your weapons and spells by fighting weaker monsters. I find it quite annoying. There's more about this level cap on this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=90911). If you're playing the NES, WSC or PSX versions, you can get around that by using the action & cancel trick, but I don't think there's a way around it in the DoS version, except by finding stronger monsters to fight.

Captain Maxx Power
08-27-2006, 01:30 PM
The general rule of thumb is the longer a fight, the more experience you're going to gain. If you want to really increase your Physical attacks, then cast Blink as many times as possible on a single enemy so your attacks always miss. They will still gain experience. Same goes for magical attacks. At higher levels, however, you'll have to go to a lot of effort to get your spell levels higher. The jump from level 15 to 16 requires at least 105 uses in a single battle. That isn't even counting if you only manage to level it up half way, because when you enter the next battle, you'll have to use it at least 15 times again in order to get it to level. That's why it's preferrable to try and concentrate on a single spell until it's levelled up, rather than spreading it out over several.

Sefie1999AD
08-27-2006, 02:40 PM
The jump from level 15 to 16 requires at least 105 uses in a single battle. That isn't even counting if you only manage to level it up half way, because when you enter the next battle, you'll have to use it at least 15 times again in order to get it to level.

Using a weapon 105 times in a single battle is pure torture without action & cancel. In the NES version, I had trouble using a weapon even 5 times in a battle since the enemies seemed to love running away on the first two turns.

Crossblades
08-27-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm not talking about level 16 i'm talking about when Maria's fire bliazzard and thunder spell reached 5 but they can't go up any farther and when the cure spell reached 10 same gos for that and the weapons reach 4 same gos for that.

To keep leveling up your weapons and spells, you must fight tougher monsters. Also, they always raise when you fight bosses as well

Peter_20
08-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Seriously, I know this select/cancel trick is great, but don't care about it; just play the game normally, and let the levels increase by themselves.
That way, the game is much more enjoyable.

BTW, make sure you fight strong monsters while leveling up, because this will increase your levels faster.

DJZen
08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Seriously, I know this select/cancel trick is great, but don't care about it; just play the game normally, and let the levels increase by themselves.
That way, the game is much more enjoyable.

Was the first version of the game that you happened to play DoS by any chance?

Captain Maxx Power
08-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Using a weapon 105 times in a single battle is pure torture without action & cancel. In the NES version, I had trouble using a weapon even 5 times in a battle since the enemies seemed to love running away on the first two turns.

It's not as bad as it sounds. It helps if your characters are going against physical-only monsters with 99% evasion. Black Flan's are probably the best for this since they don't cast spells, and they have a inherantly high defence. Also later on it helps to use "lower level" weapons, such as Longbows, Broad Swords, Axes etc. since they'll do less damage and thusly take longer to kill an enemy. Besides which if enemies are running away from you chances are you're overlevelled as it is.

DarkLadyNyara
08-27-2006, 08:35 PM

It's to prevent level-whoring. You need to fight higher ranked enemies.

DJZen
08-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Specifically to prevent level whoring from the start of the game. You need to do your level whoring gradually. ;)

Peter_20
08-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Was the first version of the game that you happened to play DoS by any chance?No, I was referring to the original version.
Why?

DJZen
08-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Just wondering ;)

Michael Belmont
08-31-2006, 02:11 PM
But where could i find the place to get my weapons and spells leveled up faster?

DJZen
08-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Wander around until you find harder monsters. Also, check the bestiary. Notice the rank of the monsters you're fighting in that area. If your weapon and magic skills aren't going up, look for monsters with a higher rank.

Michael Belmont
08-31-2006, 03:44 PM
I meant what place to find the higher ranked foes.

DJZen
08-31-2006, 07:09 PM
go north. a lot.