PDA

View Full Version : What's a challenging way to play FFIX?

Kain Strife
08-27-2006, 05:29 AM
I've read certain threads about people playing through FF games, but with a certain handicap to make it more challenging. I'm thinking of trying this with FFIX. So what's a good suggestion?

Zeromus_X
08-27-2006, 05:47 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=75168&highlight=Level+One+Ozma

Necronopticous
08-27-2006, 08:05 AM
The Level One Ozma challenge was really tough, and really fun. I recommend it, so long as you have played through the game at least once before normally.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Just try to get Excalibur II.

Quindiana Jones
08-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Playing it with eyes closed, no sound and whilst singing every single world leader ever in chronilogical order. Now that's a challenge.

Sefie1999AD
08-27-2006, 01:52 PM

Yeah, do that one first. Then try the Level 1 Ozma challenge. You may also want to try out something like a single character challenge.

Crossblades
08-27-2006, 04:42 PM

SpikingZero
08-27-2006, 05:51 PM
How about a simple one: No use of recovery or support magic at all at any point of the game.

Necronopticous
08-27-2006, 06:50 PM
a single character challenge.I don't recommend a challenge like this first, and here is why: One of the most satisfying things about completing a challenge, at least in my opinion, is having the self-proving and amazing save file.

For instance, when you load up a completed Excalibur II game, you have Excalibur II. It's proof you got to Hades within 12 hours and that's something to be damn proud of.

When you load up a completed level one Ozma game, there you are on disc 3 with the key item proving that Ozma has been defeated, and every member in your entire roster is level one.

It's awesome, and you can show your friends and always have that save file as a reminder of what you accomplished. Now comes solo-character or command-barring challenges. Load up a completed one, what do you see? Sure, your other characters might be down on levels from being dead most of the game, but really it looks pretty much the same as if you'd used all your characters and all your commands. There is nothing really special about the file, and after all the work you put in, it's sucks not to have that.

That's my view on it, anyway.

Captain Maxx Power
08-27-2006, 07:03 PM
It's awesome, and you can show your friends and always have that save file as a reminder of what you accomplished.

Necrocopter tends to invite friends around to display his elite skills in such a manner.

If you want a real challenge, you could try playing the game from a distance throwing a pencil on a string at the buttons in order to move, whilst sitting in a cardboard box.

Alexander
08-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Lv1 Ozma Challenge is worth it. almost beat her, but I lost my PS1 Memory Card some months ago, so I'll have to start it again. And this time I WILL beat Ozma.

I just hope I get less lucky this time. Meltigemini, Ark, Hilgigars, etc, were on the bag on my first try, and Iifa Tree on the third try. XD

Kain Strife
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Hope I don't sound too stupid here...but what is the Lvl 1 Ozma challenge exactly? I haven't played through the whole game for about 5 years, so my memory is rustier than Steiner's armour. :p

boys from the dwarf
08-27-2006, 09:12 PM
level one ozma challenge is quite simply beating ozma with all characters at level one. getting to ozma without leveling up will be tricky though but it is possible. i dont think its possible to beat the game at level one but i may be wrong. if it is possible you could try "beat the game and all of the sidequests and optional bosses at level one challenge."

solo challenges are usually boring and are often just constant leveling of one character.

there are simple challenges like.

no magic

or no items (which is actually really hard because youll have to use skills that cost no MP and stuff so freya and amrant will be your main healers seems as the only way to get back MP is to go to inns.)

no magic would be good. it means you cant really use eiko, garnet and vivi and any abilities that cost MP. do all of freyas abilties cost MP?

hard challenges like level one ozma take tons of planning and strategy.

Kain Strife
08-27-2006, 10:05 PM
That sounds impossible, I remember having trouble with the Black Waltzes (long time ago, though). Still, I think i'm going to take this challenge. :D

Thanks guys.

Necronopticous
08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
You'll have fun. My recommendation is to start a thread as a sort of journal where you can update everyone on where you are, and how you're doing. This will keep you inspired, and make the experience more fun, since you can share your accomplishments with others.

Hyprophant has a wonderful and very helpful guide on GameFAQs.
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_ix_level_one_ozma.txt

On a challenge like this you should definitely get lots of information and follow the words of those who have already completed it so you don't make a mistake like missing an item that can force your to start over, etc.

Also, a few of us on the board have already completed this challenge and started journal-like threads. They can be a useful resource if you get stuck or need more information. Good luck.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=54748
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=75168

P.S. There may be more, but please do not revive old challenge threads by posting in them.

Kain Strife
08-28-2006, 02:54 AM
I've been reading through your Lvl 1 Ozma Challenge as well as the FFX Challenge you took, and i'm very impressed. They were very good reads, way to go! :)

As for my challenge, It wont happen straight away, but i'll definately try it out. I'm currently playing through FFVI, then i'll start on Lvl 1 Ozma. I'm also thinking of taking on challenges for VIII and X, but that's off-topic.

Christmas
08-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Play it blind folded while eating a turkey sandwich. :bigsmile:

Christmas
03-31-2022, 04:11 AM
Playing it with eyes closed, no sound and whilst singing every single world leader ever in chronilogical order. Now that's a challenge.

Legend says that this bloke is still attempting this till this day. :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
04-03-2022, 06:58 PM
"chronilogical"