PDA

View Full Version : why do most people?

evil cecil
08-27-2006, 02:24 PM
why does most people hate tellah and edward that much??:shifty:

tellah is a pretty good mage when you get him he knows alot of cool magic

edward isnt the best...but his better then nothing and i think his pretty cool when you get that second weapon for him:choc: :choc: :bigbiggri

Tempest
08-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Personally, I don't hate either of them. People dislike Tellah because he has such low mp and it makes Meteo useless until he uses it on Golbez and passes away.

I would imagine that people hate Edward because he runs and hides every time he has low hp. It also makes it hard to heal him back up since he'll just hide again right after you make him show up.

Crossblades
08-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't hate Tellah and Edward. They're great characters. I guess people don't like Edward because he's a coward in battle

LunarWeaver
08-27-2006, 04:52 PM
I liked Tellah... I'm rather indifferent to Edward.

Captain Maxx Power
08-27-2006, 05:52 PM
I think I proved beyond doubt that Edward is inherantly awesome. No one's got any right to say he's rubbish.

Evastio
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
They think they suck compared to the other characters. Personally I like them both.

Zeromus_X
08-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Unfortunately, Gilbert can only be useful in the GBA version.

Well, alot of people hate alot of characters, so there isn't a general agreement on who hates who. Tellah and Gilbert are in fact, craptastic characters (battle-wise) in the original versions of the game. Gilbert is pretty godly in the GBA version, however...

Takara
08-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Unfortunately, Gilbert can only be useful in the GBA version.

Well, alot of people hate alot of characters, so there isn't a general agreement on who hates who. Tellah and Gilbert are in fact, craptastic characters (battle-wise) in the original versions of the game. Gilbert is pretty godly in the GBA version, however...

My thoughts exactly. It's not so much their personality I hate, but their battle usefulness (or lack thereof).

Gilbert can be godly in FFIV Advance, but he suuuuuuuucks in the SNES and Chronicles version.

And Tellah's 90 MP is annoying. Especially when he's your only magic user in the party (okay, so you have Paladin Cecil too, but Cecil's white magic is so limited...).

Znake
08-28-2006, 03:09 PM
I have no problem with Edward. For the first couple of hours after I get him, he's one of the most useful Characters In battle, with his attacks Confusing the enemy more often than not. It's only later on In the game, that I don't use him.

NINJA_Ryu
10-13-2006, 03:58 AM
I think I proved beyond doubt that Edward is inherantly awesome. No one's got any right to say he's rubbish.

indeed, spoony bards FTW

but in this game, sadly yang, kain, and Cid beat him

Cid ftw

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Tellah wasn't all that bad to me. Edward (now that I'm playing it for the 5th or 6th time), isn't bad either. I didn't like Edward at first because he kept dying. So I just left him dead, which lead to him being level 7 when I lost him (94 ish hp).

The one I really never liked was Yang.

nik0tine
10-13-2006, 07:54 AM
I didn't have a problem with Edward. Yeah, he sucks in battle, but who doesn't these days?

Tellah was fucking retarted though.

Fatal Impurity
10-13-2006, 01:21 PM
i love yang he rules! as for tellah well who wouldnt be grumpy after finding out at the age of 80 you still have about as much usefulness as a chocolate tea pot in a sandstorm in the sahara.....but on the otherhand at least he inst edward *shivers* goddamn i hate cowards....but at least he redeems himself.....

Jowy
10-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Having practically every spell in the game is a pro. The fact that he needed to be hopped up on Ether after every battle was the downfall. Tellah was a good character in terms of storyline, though.

Captain Maxx Power
10-13-2006, 07:26 PM
I love the fact this topic was revived by someone quoting me. :cool:

Prancing Mad
10-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Tellah is wicked bad, eddy is just bad. I'm sure if you level him to 99 he's okay, but compared to others well... yeah, not so good

boys from the dwarf
10-14-2006, 08:57 PM
edward is annoying in battle because he spends most of his time dead or hiding but i liked him as a character.

tellah i think is a good character but is still annoying in battle because he only has 90 MP. he was useful though.

Edge7
10-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Tellah is awesome!
Don't like Edward much though.

Sefie1999AD
10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I don't think Edward and Tellah were that bad. Sure, Edward isn't too good in battles, but his last harp (in the SNES version) does a pretty good amount of damage, and he seemed quite alright in FFIVA too, when you can choose your party members. Besides, he stopped being a cowardly spoony bard and developed as a character during the game. Him using the Twin Harp to save Cecil and others from the Dark Elf was one of his great moments.

Tellah was good as a character, and he had loads of spells you won't get otherwise, until a lot later. The problems with him were that he was quite weak, and he had only 90 MP. That won't let you heal much, and you'll run out of MP very quickly. His magic power didn't seem too great, either. However, it's a tragic story he has, being blinded by so much anger that it cost him his life. He was still the first character in the game to cast Meteo, though.

The Unknown Guru
11-08-2006, 05:06 AM
People hate Tellah? People hate Ed?

Tellah has the best line in the game. It's inconceivable that people hate him. "Get your hands off my daughter, you spoony bard!"

I did hate his low MP, though.

ValiantKnight
11-08-2006, 05:21 AM
Beginning of game - Confuse/Silence/Sleep/etc are fun especially when I have low manpower and healing.

Middle of game - He starts to get weak and his status effects didn't seem to be as useful.

End of Game - Against dragons, yeah hes ok .. but almost every other fighter does great against Dragons too.(or maybe its just me)

His HP is usually tied for the lowest or lowest.
His attack gets decent at the end, but other fighters are still better.
He and Cid sit the bench for me.. Yang, Edge, Palom, Porom all get rotated into the 5th spot at some time now. Thats the GBA version of course.

If it wasn't for Yang's incredible HP, he might be sitting the bench too though. He's good, just nothing spectacular.

Tellah and Space Tellah serve good purposes, but yeah, they generally had low hp and the nonexistant MP was a slight annoyance. They were useful at the time you got them, but I wouldn't want to run around half the game with them.

/shrug

But i'm confused though.. I keep hearing Gilbert/Edward is godly in the advance version...

Him sitting at 65, with 2800hp(or possibly less.. i can't remember), and doing around 2500-3500 to most enemies, 9999 to a few doesn't seem too godly to me...

Martyr
11-08-2006, 05:21 AM
I did hate his low MP, though.

You're not going to find many men that old with a ton of Mojo Power, bro. Get over it.

Edit: Uh, I hated Edward because he was a peace loving hippy prince who played the harp all day in times of war, used it to get chicks, but still cried over one dead slut, and hid when he actually was forced to do something that would make him deserving of his royal title.

I thought Tellah was the MAN, and he's probably one of my favorite characters in the whole game, now that I think about it.

I mean, there's Rydia, who'se awesome.
Edge is mediocre. Everybody else seems to suck, but, ironically, Tellah doesn't. So he's tied with Edge for the second coolest character in the game.
Tied with Edge and the Dwarf King.

feioncastor
11-09-2006, 05:10 AM
I certainly didn't hate Tellah right after he uttered the line involving "the spells", because right after I suddenly had access to Lit-3, Ice-3 and Fire3. Of course, his MP was so low that you had to budget his MP use. But he certainly makes the fight with Kainazzo pretty short.

I always thought it was funny that Tellah was a grand master, one of the greatest magic users ever, and yet it only took Palom no time at all to pass him up in max MP.

As for Edward, I didn't hate him. He was an important part of the game, and Square seems to work in a character that the average gamer doesn't really care for in combat. (a role seemingly filled by Cait Sith in FF7)

The most frustrating thing about Edward is the "defence" of Fabul (note the use of the letter "c"). Because if he gets low on HP in any of those fights, he's done helping you. Because as soon as he is low, he hides. So you have him "Show" on his turn, but he immediately hides again, before you can even heal him. And after the fight, you can't access the menu to use items on him, so as soon as he gets low HP in that series of battles, he's gone. Prettymuch forever because the next thing you do is hop aboard a ship headed for Baron. And I'm sure you all know what happens on that trip, right?

When you meet him later in Toroia, doesn't he mention something about Rydia saving him? I mean, isn't that kinda lame? If my memory serves me and that's what he said... Jesus, she was like 11 years old at that point. It wasn't even grown up Bahamut Rydia. It was little girl White Magic Chocobo Rydia. Unless you count the one time she summons Titan on Cecil and Kain the Village Mist. I was bothered that she conviniently forgot how to do that when she joined up.

Roogle
11-09-2006, 09:10 AM
I did not have any problem with Edward or Tellah at all. I tried to make the most out of their characters while they were in the party, and found myself having a good time doing so.

In the original version, Edward had a fairly good chance of inflicting a status effect on the enemy, and since I was disabling a large portion of the enemies in combat, he would never get damaged to the point of needing to heal or retreat. I liked his presence in the party up until the very end, as he wasn't severely lacking in HP and I was able to keep him above Rydia, which is a good show of effort for him.

Tellah, on the other hand, is useful for the time that you get him because you have no other spellcasters for the last part of his run. He plays a very important role if you want to survive in the final battles before he leaves the party.

ImAFarmer
11-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Edward's only good trait is the "Psycho edward trick"

Tellah is like a battery...use it and toss it.

Darth Cid
11-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Edward's only good trait is the "Psycho edward trick"

Only usable on the GBA verison, Gilbert added depth to the story, so I liked him despite his performance in battle in pre-GBA verisons of FFIV.

Tellah, I liked Tellah, I hated the fact that he let his anger kill him.

Ashley Schovitz
11-15-2006, 01:44 AM

edward isnt the best...but his better then nothing and i think his pretty cool when you get that second weapon for him:choc: :choc: :bigbiggri
what's with the giant grin and shouldn't that be "Why do most people' instead of "why does most people"? To answer your question I never heard of anyone disliking Tellah, but one would dislike Edward because he's very weak both in strength and in defense, so he doesn't make a good ally.

Martyr
11-15-2006, 02:17 AM

what's with the giant grin and shouldn't that be "Why do most people' instead of "why does most people"? To answer your question I never heard of anyone disliking Tellah, but one would dislike Edward because he's very weak both in strength and in defense, so he doesn't make a good ally.

Leave it to Schovitz to make the final point clear and succinct.