PDA

View Full Version : Baten Kaitos

Crossblades
08-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Over the weekend I went to my local gamestop. I went to the Gamecube section and saw that they had a used copy of Baten kaitos. When this game was first released, I was interested in playing it. However, since there was other games that were being released at the time so I completely lost interest. However, after reading the manual for it, I have regained interest in it again. So my question is, is this game worth getting? Give reasons why

LunarWeaver
08-27-2006, 05:08 PM
It has a unique battle system that becomes awesome once you get into it. Battles can take a while, but I still had lots of fun. The world itself is extremely inventive, and the 6 characters get a fair bit of development.

The overall plot has you running around collecting special crystals cards and it's nothing to jump up and down about, but there's enough original aspects of the plot to keep you going until the end. Once it was over, I looked back on the game and was fairly satisfied with the story in the end.

The voice acting in it is terrible, and although the pre-rendered backgrounds are completely gorgeous it also means the camera is static and stays in one plays during all cutscenes. But that's not really a big deal...You can turn the voice acting off and the backgrounds are so pretty you'll get over the other stuff.

Overall, it's pretty damn good in my book. Don't let the "card" thing fool you. It's just a representation of their attacks and it's no Yu-gi-oh or something.

The music is awesome too 8D

Edit: And roto is right, Tales of Symphonia > Baten Kaitos

Roto13
08-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I thought the pacing was a problem, and it seemed to get a bit unbalanced at times. It's a decent RPG that's worth picking up, but only if you already have Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Tales of Symphonia. And if you can't find a copy of Skies of Arcadia: Legends :P

Germ Hamee
08-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I have it, but never finished it. As Roto said, the pacing in the game was terrible, and it doesn't help that the story is really cliché anyway. It was really predictable, although I keep hearing about some amazing plot twist that I never made it to.

At the same time, the game has a sort of nostalgia to it - especially if you liked Chrono Cross. A lot of the areas look like they came straight out of CC. Viper Manor is the first that comes to mind. If you turn off the voice-overs (which you will as soon as you can, I guarantee it), it's a total old-school RPG. Add to that an amazing soundtrack, and a fun battle system, and you could have a pretty solid game.

I would pick it up if plot isn't a priority for you. It will occasionally surprise you with a bit of creativity, but overall there's nothing there we haven't seen before.

Roto13
08-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Well, that one plot twist, for me, changes the story for cliched crap to total awesomeness :P

Crossblades
08-27-2006, 07:06 PM
I thought the pacing was a problem, and it seemed to get a bit unbalanced at times. It's a decent RPG that's worth picking up, but only if you already have Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Tales of Symphonia. And if you can't find a copy of Skies of Arcadia: Legends :P

I own those games. All great IMO:)

Kyri
08-27-2006, 08:25 PM
I've never played it myself, because I don't have a GC, but my friend loves that game.

SpikingZero
08-27-2006, 08:31 PM
It requires some patience in regards to storyline, and I agree somewhat about the voice acting. Some of the lines are delivered poorly...while others are delivered REALLY SLOWLY. Just turn the voices off; it'll improve the gameplay experience.

There is a pretty good plot twist that'll make most gamers go "D=", not to mention exceptional character development. The music is also very good. Check it out, now.