PDA

View Full Version : Formatting

Ouch!
08-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Alright, in my previous thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=91503), I described certain problems I was having with my computer. As was suggested, I tried repairing windows and, when that failed, reinstalling it. Both of these measures, however, failed. The problems still persists (for the most part), and so, on the advice of some other friends, I've decided to reformat.

With their help, I've found instructions online of just how I should do this, but I can't seem to boot from the Windows installation CD. I understand that I may have to change some settings to enable this ability, but when I followed the instructions to do that, I found that the options simply weren't there.

Apparently I need to enable CD-ROM Support in the BIOS. I read that I can do this by entering the BIOS when the BIOS information appears when my computer boots up. This guide said that there should be a message in the corner that tells me what to press to enter the BIOS. No such message appeared. The closest I could get was set-up by pressing F2. I assumed it was pretty much the same thing, but I didn't really know what to make of it as the instructions weren't compatable with this menu.

I'm not sure what information I should put up that could help, but I think saying that my BIOS is Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10.A05 might be worth something.

Anyway, what the heck do I do? >_<

Necronopticous
08-28-2006, 04:41 AM
Usually you press F8 to enter the BIOS as your computer is booting. In some cases it is DEL or another key, but I'd say it's likely going to be F8. It's pretty straightforward once you change your boot order so your computer boots your CD-rom drive first. Let me know if that didn't work.

edczxcvbnm
08-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I have never had it be F8...Isn't F8 for booting in safe mode? Or is that F5. AWWW F it all XD

Del, F12 is usually what I see.

Yamaneko
08-28-2006, 05:01 PM
It'll usually say during POST.

crono_logical
08-28-2006, 08:47 PM
As Yams said :p F5 and F8 are for various versions of Windows to get into safe mode :p I've come across many recent machines though where you hit F12 to let you choose what to boot off without touching the BIOS :p

Yamaneko
08-28-2006, 08:53 PM
It could be F8 since the Windows boot-up options screen comes up after the I/O devices screen once the BIOS has been initialized, but generally newer motherboard manufacturers have you press one of the lower numbered "F" keys to get into the BIOS option and F12 to select the boot device.

F12 is nice because at work a lot of people like to make the HDD the only bootable device so whenever I have to reimage a machine I don't have to go into the BIOS everytime. The older machines I do though. :(

Ouch!
08-28-2006, 09:51 PM
I've tried the various keys suggested (including all the F-keys that weren't), but none of them bring me to the right screen. F8 was the only key that brought up a new menu, but there was nothing about my BIOS settings there, it was, as was said, just the safe mode controls.

I went through the set-up again, using the help function to see what each option did, but none of them seemed to enable CD-ROM Support.

Once I can get the CD-ROM Support going, I know how to finish up the rest. I even know what to do once I can find the screen where I get the options that lead me to enabling the support, but it does me no good if I can't find that bloody screen. >_<