PDA

View Full Version : Yakuza

JKTrix
08-28-2006, 06:49 PM
http://yakuza.1up.com/

I wasn't interested in this game at first, I just sort of brushed it off as "WTF JAPANESE GTA". After reading reviews and impressions of 'Ryu Ga Gotoku' (Like a Dragon), it's Japanese name, it seemed quite a bit more appealing. This game supposedly tells an accurate and compelling story that explores the traditions of the Yakuza. Being a 'Japanophile' and a fan of Shenmue, I'm quite looking forward to playing through this game now.

1UP is running a week-long cover story on this game, and if you've seen some of 1UP's previous cover stories (http://covers.1up.com/) you know what kind of deal you're subscribing to. At the end of the week will be their 'exclusive review' of the game.

Anyone else interested in this?

Raebus
08-28-2006, 07:04 PM
It looks really interesting. I wasnt put off by the rpg side of it (random encounters, leveling up) Really good.

DanteV9
08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
It didn't look very good when I saw a trailer of the game, but then a read review on it. And it actually got a very good score. So, yes, I'm a bit more interested now. And that japanese title is so much better. It makes the game sound appealing as hell.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-28-2006, 07:43 PM
When I first learned about this game, I was enamored by its style and setting but saddened at the possibility that it wouldn't be localized. Then it was revealed that it would be coming to the States under the name "Yakuza," which was very exciting right up until Sega released the first English trailer, which had such repugnant voice acting that I just wanted to forget the game ever existed. But now 1UP is saying the voiceovers are actually pretty professional, so I may give it a chance after all.

Slicksword45
08-29-2006, 01:51 AM
personley, I played a demo and hated it. I don't know what but the combat just was boring to me. I may still rent it but I realy didden't like it.

Vikeve
08-29-2006, 02:20 AM
personley, I played a demo and hated it. I don't know what but the combat just was boring to me. I may still rent it but I realy didden't like it.

I played the demo too and hated it i think people are giving it to much credit. But all the reviews sound great i just dont know what to think when it comes to that game.:confused:

Slicksword45
08-29-2006, 02:23 AM

I played the demo too and hated it i think people are giving it to much credit. But all the reviews sound great i just dont know what to think when it comes to that game.:confused:

Game Informer gave it a 6 :p

Dreddz
08-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah, im not going to bother with this game....

JKTrix
08-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Dreddz, you like Shenmue (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=84002), yes? (Yakuza is even mentioned in that thread :P)
This ain't Shenmue :P But it seems like that kind of game. It is made by Sega, after all. The combat in Shenmue wasn't that deep--in fact the all-around gameplay itself wasn't so hot. Nobody cared about that because the story is what was awesome, and left all of who've played it punching walls waiting for a Shenmue 3.
The fact that this is being fashioned somewhat like Shenmue is what really got me interested in Yakuza. I wouldn't write this game off yet.

So, Game Informer gave it a 6. Everyone else so far has been giving it 8+, so clearly the game is at least somewhat good. (6 is above average, remember) I can't give a link to the Yakuza section of www.gamerankings.com because I can't access it from work, but all of the reviews for the english game are from the future. GI's review (dated September 1) isn't even online. The site that I originally link at the top of the thread is going in-depth into the game, telling you what it's all about and the people behind it. Don't rely on scores so much--despite the fact that the game is getting very high scores from most of the time traveling publications.

Dreddz
08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Dreddz, you like Shenmue (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=84002), yes? (Yakuza is even mentioned in that thread :P)
This ain't Shenmue :P But it seems like that kind of game. It is made by Sega, after all. The combat in Shenmue wasn't that deep--in fact the all-around gameplay itself wasn't so hot. Nobody cared about that because the story is what was awesome, and left all of who've played it punching walls waiting for a Shenmue 3.
The fact that this is being fashioned somewhat like Shenmue is what really got me interested in Yakuza. I wouldn't write this game off yet.

Hmm, I still dont know much about the similarities between the two series, when I hear the reception it gets over here, then Ill decide if Ill buy the game....

Stunt
08-29-2006, 04:21 PM
You can't diss it cause it's in Tokyo, I mean, Tokyo is way better then US, its the video game central of the world.
But all in all, I played the demo, it was alright, but I don't think I will be buying it. But I'll tell you how it is since my brother is gonna get it anyway.

Saku
08-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Shenmune... that makes it sound interesting... but I'll just borrow i the game after you've beaten/gotten bored with it Trix.... since I'm on poor college student budget

JKTrix
09-01-2006, 04:10 PM
The 1UP review is up

http://38.99.15.82/do/reviewPage?cId=3153358
Score: 8.5/10 (I thought they got rid of the half scores...)
Last couple of lines:

As the start of a new franchise, Yakuza is a wonderful foundation for a new fan-favorite series. And as an entry into the ever-growing criminal underground genre, Yakuza is a wholly unique, high-quality package that, while possessing as many flaws as it does triumphs, is a crime drama worth mentioning in the same breath as The Godfather (the movie, not the game).

Moon Rabbits
09-01-2006, 05:07 PM
I might rent it, I don't have the money to buy it :(!