PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite airship

bipper
08-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Favorite Airship?

Well? I wanna know which airship is your favoirte, and what you like about it. On the reverse side, I want to know what your least favorite is.

while a part of me wants to go for the classic FFI airship, I have to throw my cards on the table and say the Blackjack is simply the cooles airship.

My least favorite is that motor-cycle retard racer from X-2: Auran's Angels.

Bipper

Flying Mullet
08-28-2006, 07:14 PM
The Blackjack is the coolest looking airship. As for my favorite, I would have to pick the airship from FFI solely because of that sense of euphoria I get when I finally get it and the whole world opens up. :thumb:

Elpizo
08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
The Invincible from FF III (duh!). Free Inn+Fat Chocobo = Pwnage.
I liked how the Invincible looked in IX, too. Or the first airship in VI.

Worst airship, I dunno. Maybe the one from II, cause you had to pay to get on it first, and you only get it when you're near the ending.

Sefie1999AD
08-28-2006, 08:21 PM
The Invincible from FF III (duh!). Free Inn+Fat Chocobo = Pwnage.

I agree. The Lunar Whale is quite close too with a free inn, Fat Chocobo and an ability to take off to the Moon, but I think the Invincible wins because of free inn, weapon/armor/spell shops, Fat Chocobo and the cannon, which is somewhat useless but it's still quite cool. :) FFVII's Highwind isn't bad, either. It has people to talk to, a free save point / inn and you can also bring your Chocobo along with you to the airship.

The least favorite is probably the first airship you get in FFIII, the one which you crash into a boulder. You can't do much with it, and it can't even cross mountains. Other than that, I didn't really like FFVI's Blackjack, although I think Falcon was neat.

bipper
08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
I thought the falcon kinda sucked and looked like a metal ... peni... toy. I would ram it into kefka's tower just to get a rise outta myself.

Auragaea
08-28-2006, 08:52 PM
The Hilda Garde from FFIX. I also like the Ragnarok from FFVIII and the Invicible from FFIII.

Medi
08-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Hilde Garde III, Celcius, and the Invincible.

Garn the Red
08-29-2006, 02:45 AM
The Ragnarok, It was just bad ass.

My least is the first airship you get in III, The thing couldnt even go over mountains.

Meat Puppet
08-29-2006, 02:47 AM
Out of the three airships I ever got, the Ragnarok was my favorite.

Dynast-Kid
08-29-2006, 02:51 AM
The Farenheit from FFX was my favorite.

Zeromus_X
08-29-2006, 03:07 AM
The Lunar Whale. :cat:

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:08 AM
yah the whale wins it for me...i mean come on it's a FREAKIN whale

Vaincast
08-29-2006, 06:40 AM
The Farenheit from FFX was my favorite.

yup

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Definitely Invincible from FFIII. It has a free "inn," a full repertoire of shops, a Fat Chocobo for item storage, and a cannon that fires on all enemies at the beginning of every random encounter. And beyond the practical assets, it has a unique aesthetic appeal: up to this point in the series, airships had always been nothing more than flying boats (or flying submarines, in the case of the Nautilus), but the Invincible looks like a flying city. It doesn't even land; when the characters exit, they just take a ladder down to the ground, leaving it to hover constantly like the badass it is.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/famiaircomp.png

theundeadhero
08-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Kishi already said everything I was just about to. Even though I like it I'm going to say my least favorite is the Lunar Whale, just because I'm not a wooden little boy. It does have a free inn though.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 07:17 AM
little wooden boy definatly would NOT like the whale....what happened to him again?

~SapphireStar~
08-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Ragnarok from FFVIII was just so bad arse and cool! I agree about the crappy motorbike ship in FFX2. Very cheap looking.

Dell
08-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I like The Hilda Garde III, it has awesome theme too. It's just sad that you can't use them for Disc 4. FFV's Airship are second and BlackJack (Falcon has no healing and item shop!) is third.

Garn the Red
08-29-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm surprised no one has said the Highwind yet.

Dark knight Cecil
08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
The whale is the best air ship i mean it can go from the earth to the moon for christ's sake!:p

boys from the dwarf
08-29-2006, 08:16 PM
there are too many to choose from.

FF1. plain airship so its nothing fancy. definetly not the best.
FF2. same thing.
FF3. ive not played it.
FF4. the airship has a lot of upgrades but nothing to make it better thant the rest. the whale i really good. it has a fat chocobo and a free inn and can travel anywhere but the underworld (which is sort of annoying because you have to find the other airship to get down to the underworld.) the whale is possibly the best.

FF5: this one is one of the best too. its an airship,ship and submarine convertable. most of it makes no sense. sometimes you see the airship deck but when you go to the submarine mode you see a completely different place. the submarine has a resting place so its definetly a good airship. but its not 100% an airship so i dont think it really counts.

FF6. nothing special but the backstory behind the airship and the names and their plain coolness makes me like them but there not as useful as other airships.

FF7. highwind. meh. nothing fancy. nice music though and the pilot has some funny moments E.G. when hes a level 14 pilot and diamond weapon has risen from the sea, you talk to him and next to his name it says "limit break" in flashy letters. the highwinds good and really fast.

FF8. ragnorok. its a spaceship and ive never really found it that special. looks cool and has big cannons and guns though.

FF9. hilda garde 3 and the invincible. i like the invincible.

FFX. cids ship.

FFX-2. the celsius. has a barkeeper and places to rest but the music and looks really annoy me and i try not to stay in it for too long.

i suppose the most useful airship is the whale or the FF5 ship (if you count it as an airship.)

there are so many and i really cant decide.

Vivisteiner
08-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Hilda Garde FF9 makes me euphoric. I love the theme tune.

Sefie1999AD
08-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Definitely Invincible from FFIII. It has a free "inn," a full repertoire of shops, a Fat Chocobo for item storage, and a cannon that fires on all enemies at the beginning of every random encounter. And beyond the practical assets, it has a unique aesthetic appeal: up to this point in the series, airships had always been nothing more than flying boats (or flying submarines, in the case of the Nautilus), but the Invincible looks like a flying city. It doesn't even land; when the characters exit, they just take a ladder down to the ground, leaving it to hover constantly like the badass it is.

Yeah, that's also great about the Invincible. Another special thing about it, which I don't think has been mentioned yet, is that it can cross small mountains. This may sound totally stupid to you, but if you've played FFIII, you should know how hard crossing mountains is, and Invincible is the only airship in the game that can somewhat do it. :)

Sunny Day Suicide
08-29-2006, 11:56 PM
I never got to far in FFIII but the first airship was pretty cool when it rammed into that rock. And excuse me, but what the hell's a blackjack? Which game?

DarkLadyNyara
08-30-2006, 08:14 AM
The Invincible from IX. AIRSHIP 'O DOOM! :D

boys from the dwarf
08-30-2006, 08:42 AM
blackjack is setzers airship in FF6. the falcon is daryls airship in FF6 (or the other way round. im pretty sure i got that right.)

Sefie1999AD
08-30-2006, 08:43 AM
I never got to far in FFIII but the first airship was pretty cool when it rammed into that rock. And excuse me, but what the hell's a blackjack? Which game?

Blackjack is Setzer's airship in FFVI. You'll get to use it in the World of Balance (the "first" word). As far as I know, it's slightly slower than Daryl's airship, the Falcon, at least in terms of storyline.

EDIT: Bftd posted about the same a minute before me. Oh well.

The Crystal
08-30-2006, 09:33 PM
The Invincible from IX. AIRSHIP 'O DOOM! :D

I second that. A high-tech airship(maybe even a spaceship) that you stole of the enemy. The first time that i see the giant eye in the sky, i never thought that, that thing was an airship, and i will fly with her in the future. I remember, in the 4th CD, when i go to Lindblum with her, and when i talked to a NPC guy, he said something like "Wow, your airship is so cool!" And i said in my mind, "Yes, it is!" :D

But hell, would be so cool if we are capable of using the eye, to destroy everything that we want in the world map.

boys from the dwarf
08-31-2006, 06:08 PM
by the sounds of things, the invincible on FF3 is the best in terms of usefulness but im sure a lot of us have some preferences to other airships because of looks and storyline. the invincible in FF3 sounds awesome.

QuinnQuin
08-31-2006, 11:19 PM
I happened upon this thread whilst searching for Final Fantasy IX images. Now, I understand that this thread may be "older than dirt" however I couldn't help but put my "two cents in."

MY personal favorite airship was in fact the Invincible from Final Fantasy IX. Some of you may argue that it had poor turning, and it "looked like something from the 50's." All that aside, I wish to argue why it is better than the rest.

First, it was wicked fast! It didn't use mist or steam engines, and possessed a seemingly--and unknown--limitless power source. Granted it didn't have the best turns...but it was in the FREKKIN air! I highly doubt that it's handling would be the best IN THE AIR!

Second, It's power! Any who played Final Fantasy IX and paid attention to the FMV's and story knew of it's destructive capability, in fact they SAW IT for themselves! Tell me--as I know of no others--what Airship could destroy massive cities in seconds with a single blast, or even steal and/or vanquish summons in seconds?

Third, the ship's integrity. What airship--save the Ragnarok--could withstand different atmospheres of pressure? The Invincible even showed the ability to travel through water. Though it was for only a short period, it possessed no problems from the pressure transition nor was it even remotely affected by the water. In addition, at the end of the game in the fight with the silver dragons, only once does the view screen flicker and in all the various angular views of the ship it suffers NO damage--not even superficial! And after the battle when using the aircraft there are NO changes in the way it handles and no one says ANYTHING about the ship's status.

Finally, the design of the ship. It was built to be a flying fortress. Not only is it a very large airship but it is also a castle as well. Personally I loved the color and metalwork. The interior design of the ship was damn near breathtaking and the bridge ROCKED! Though it possessed no windows, the bridge did possess a massive view screen made of pure energy--ultima high-definition--that gave you a sufficient view from the cock-pit.

In my honest opinion, the only downside to the ship was that it possessed no other offense beyond its "eye-weapon" on the underside.

DarkLadyNyara
09-01-2006, 01:07 AM
What QuinnQuin said. :D My only complaint was that we couldn't use the eyeball thingie.

QuinnQuin
09-01-2006, 08:07 PM
I SECOND THAT!
No dobut it would've been frekkin sweet! My only guess as to why it was not used is because of the moral/emotional baggage that would come along with it...I'm sure Sara (Garnet) would protest, as Im sure it disgusted her to even be near the vessel. Also, it definately would have cut down total game play time...mwa ha ha ha! Excalibur II, here I come ^_^

Also, why couldn't Chocobos board the vessel? That would be aweome if you could board on your golden Chocobo and unboard where ever you wanted...even the air ^_^

Edit by Psychotic: Hey QuinnQuin, please don't double post. Use the edit/delete button if you have anything else you want to say. Thanks a lot.

The Crystal
09-01-2006, 08:53 PM
I SECOND THAT!
No dobut it would've been frekkin sweet! My only guess as to why it was not used is because of the moral/emotional baggage that would come along with it...I'm sure Sara (Garnet) would protest, as Im sure it disgusted her to even be near the vessel. Also, it definately would have cut down total game play time...mwa ha ha ha! Excalibur II, here I come ^_^

They could have made a special game in the end. I mean, you end the game, and then, after the "The End screen" you have the option to continue to play the game. And then, you could use the big eye.
Would be so cool to enter a normal city, talk with everyone, go to the world map, destroy the city, and enter it again, just to see the level of destruction that you caused.

boys from the dwarf
09-01-2006, 09:32 PM
the invincible is one of the many references FF9 has to previous FFs. i guess they wanted to make it just as good as the FF3 one. id say gameplay-wise FF3's invincible is the most useful.

storyline-wise i think the invincible in FF9 is the most powerful (im pretty sure that the eye is more powerful than the ragnorok). it has that eye and some sort of soul energy thing streaming through it and although i think it doesnt look that good its certainly one of the most powerful. it seems to run on nothing. i think the souls used to power it seem to give it some sort of structure (mayb its made of some unknown material?) to allow it to survive in nearly any condition.

QuinnQuin
09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm 100% sure that the IX Invincible is stronger than the VIII Ragnarok. As the soul-purpose of the three Ragnaroks were to transport Adel's prison and defend it. I highly doubt that Laguna would have comissioned the ships to possess weapons able to level entire cities or "draw" Guardian Forces from others as that would go far beyond their purpose.

Trance_Kuja
09-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Hilda Garde 3 from ffIX is my favourite, it looks amazing, shame it is tossed aside after only one trip to the shimmering islands :cry:. The theme is also awesome, makes me want to steer it myself.