PDA

View Full Version : Liberi Fatali

DanteV9
08-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Just one short question, what does Liberi Fatali mean...?

Arrianna
08-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Deadly Children I think.

Sir Bahamut
08-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Haha, can see why you might think that, but it actually means "Children of fate/destiny" or "Fated Children". You get the general jist.

DanteV9
08-28-2006, 09:49 PM
I see. What language?

bipper
08-28-2006, 09:57 PM
It is latin.

Children Deadly. The two words translate directly into Children Deadly, which in common English is Deadly Children.

Fate is Fortuna.
Destiny is fatum.

Bipper

Sir Bahamut
08-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Umm, I don't know where you're getting your translations from, but it's clearly meant to be "Fated Children".

http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latin.htm

Search for "liberi" and then "fatali". Although "fatali" may in certain situations refer explicitly to death, it is generally used for fate and destiny as general concepts. "Fatum" does mean fate, but "fatali" works too. Besides this dictionary demonstrating it, the Wikipedia article confirms it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberi_Fatali

Finally, "Deadly Children" would hardly make much sense amd just sounds dumb. What are they, some deadly assasination squad made up of 8 year olds or something? "Fated children" on the other hand makes perfect sense, seeing as fate is one of the pervading themes of the game.

In conclusion, it clearly means "fated children/children of fate".

Arrianna
08-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Actually Fatali means both deadly and fated.
Fatalis or fatalie means "[relating to destiny or fate; fated , destined by fate]; in bad sense, [deadly, fatal]"

I know the second is the translation that has been used by the game but the literal translation is deadly children. Personally I think it might be on purpose since they were being trained as mercenaries. It wouldn't be the first time they've used something with more then one meaning just for fun. Or they may have just done a bad job in translation. I understand the entire song is difficult to translate from latin.

(disclaimer: unlike my sister I have not studied latin and only know what the dictionaries can tell me.)

Sir Bahamut
08-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I know the second is the translation that has been used by the game but the literal translation is deadly children.

Umm, since as you said, fatali can mean both deadly and fated, I don't see how you can claim that the literal translation is "deadly" instead of "fated". Unless you know for a fact that "fatli" is almost only used as "deadly" or that the original latin root meant "deadly".

Either way, I agree that they may have been playing around with deadly too, but it's clearly "fated" which is the main translation.

Christmas
08-29-2006, 03:32 PM
It means they have fatal beasts in their libraries. :(

Arrianna
08-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I know the second is the translation that has been used by the game but the literal translation is deadly children.

Umm, since as you said, fatali can mean both deadly and fated, I don't see how you can claim that the literal translation is "deadly" instead of "fated".
Simply because if I go to a translator dictionary and put them in together rather then seperately it comes up as "children deadly".

Combined with all the complaints I've read about how the entire lyrics can be interpeted mutiple ways but that the standard translation wouldn't make much sense...

Not that it really matters. That is the advantage of using a dead language. ;) No one really cares. However if we really want to know I can send it to my sister.

*~Angel Wing~*
09-09-2006, 05:30 PM
It's Fated Children. End of story.

xezero
09-09-2006, 09:01 PM
lol aight:D

Ezox
11-27-2012, 05:40 PM
It's Fated Children. End of story.

If it's in Latin and has the meaning of fated, and deadly children, who's not to say it's both? not everything translates properly. Most of them are mercenaries and fated. It's Liberi Fatali. Not Fated Children for that reason precisely.

Roogle
11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Welcome to Eyes on Final Fantasy, Ezox. You replied to a topic that was over six years old, so I had to close the topic, but please feel free to make a new thread if you want to discuss Liberi Fatali and you can get a more active discussion going. :)