Zeromus_X
08-29-2006, 03:06 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/ddss.jpg

Araciel
08-29-2006, 03:07 AM
hahahah HAHAHA thanks for clearing that up

Lilliputian Hitcher
08-29-2006, 03:08 AM
I never quite understood why every was so put off by this line. It had about the same intellectual depth as the rest of the dialogue in the movie.

Xurts
08-29-2006, 03:25 AM
rofl

Araciel
08-29-2006, 03:27 AM
I never quite understood why every was so put off by this line. It had about the same intellectual depth as the rest of the dialogue in the movie.

what...? so to you everything said was inane childish rhyming?

Lilliputian Hitcher
08-29-2006, 04:05 AM
Yes?

Jojee
08-29-2006, 04:06 AM
XD That was amusing.

LunarWeaver
08-29-2006, 04:07 AM
I toss some lawl at that picture.

boys from the dwarf
08-29-2006, 06:54 AM

i agree. it never bugs me that much and has meaning. it doesnt deserve all of the complaints it gets. and that comic is amazing!

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 07:05 AM
XD

In Japanese it was something like "zuru-zuru, zuru-zuru", which means 'always drifting, always drifting' in translation. I guess it was an indicator for Cloud to stop drifting and face his fear. Aerith told him the same thing.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 07:07 AM
, and though that would make more sense, it definatly wouldn't flow well in translation so they put dilly dally...yeah we should turn this into a commonly used phrase just so that it makes sense in that context!

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 07:10 AM
dilly-dally makes me cringe.

Ryushikaze
08-29-2006, 07:26 AM
XD

In Japanese it was something like "zuru-zuru, zuru-zuru", which means 'always drifting, always drifting' in translation. I guess it was an indicator for Cloud to stop drifting and face his fear. Aerith told him the same thing.

DRAGGING! IT MEANS DRAGGING, DAMMIT! It is onomatapoeia for dragging. It is actually MORE inane and childish sounding than dilly dally shilly shally.

Gorramit. Bitch about translations when you know the smegging original language.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 07:35 AM
well it does still mean basically the same thing i guess...whatever, i just thought that the english ver. didn't make much sense, though the intent of the line was obvious afterwards

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 07:46 AM
XD

DRAGGING! IT MEANS DRAGGING, DAMMIT! It is onomatapoeia for dragging. It is actually MORE inane and childish sounding than dilly dally shilly shally.

Gorramit. Bitch about translations when you know the smegging original language.

Hey, it's been over a year since I saw the original Japanese, and I'm suprised I even remember at all. I was just going by the subtitles anyway. Give me a break, here. >(

And for your information, I HAVE taken Japanese classes.

Ryushikaze
08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
It's not just you. I had people try and 'correct' my correction. You were just reminding me of all that.

Out of curiosity, what level?

well it does still mean basically the same thing i guess...whatever, i just thought that the english ver. didn't make much sense, though the intent of the line was obvious afterwards

Not quite. Dragging implies weight, which is echoed later in Cloud's line of "I think my load is lighter now... must have been all that dragging"

Araciel
08-29-2006, 08:01 AM
guh..im less perceptive than i thought at one time...makes more sense that way, so the translation does a disservice to the dialogue as a whole then

~SapphireStar~
08-29-2006, 11:52 AM
That picture explains alot.

Dragon Mage
08-30-2006, 04:28 AM
This line never bothered me. And I don't know why everyone gets their tits in a tizzy over it. Basically I thought it meant that Cloud was dwadling, which he was. So 'dilly-dally shilly-shally' just implied that he was dragging his as*. Which he was. I thought it was appropriate.

Besides, it was something that Cloud didn't expect and I thought the look on his face was quite funny. My brother and I laughed at that part, not because of the line, but because of Sir Emo's expression.

Tiamat
08-30-2006, 02:18 PM
My friends and I cringed at that line. We cringed more when it got repeated later. Without getting into the details of why, we just really thought that another line would have gone much better there, especially in the midst of a cutting-edge action movie like AC is.

Roffles at the picture mocking the line.

Sefie1999AD
08-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Haha, great picture, Zeromus_X! It reminds me of how Dr Unne taught the Light Warriors to speak Lufeinian in FFI. "Lu... pa! Lu... pa!" :D I thought the line "Dilly-dally, shilly-shally" was alright, the translators had to come up with at least something. The Finnish translation in the subtitles is "Aikailee, haikailee..." which means "[He] lingers [and] laments..."

Halenite
08-31-2006, 03:19 PM
the line doesn't bug me
it does bug me that every week it seems someone posts the exact same thing about it. Get over it. It's part of the movie. I don't intend to be a jerk about it, but it's how they translated it and it's not going to change, oh well.

Blykus
09-01-2006, 08:30 AM
That picture does, indeed, explain a lot to me. Now, I truly know that it some sort of language understood only by the Turks. Which, in turn, means that Tifa was once a Turk. Look out for a game with Tifa as the main character. Hell, Vincent was a Turk and he got a game. Since Vincent got a FPS game, I wonder if Tifa will get a Tekken-style fighting game. Oh, the possibilities...

Distain
09-01-2006, 01:10 PM
XD great picture

I did a little mix of a cring/confused/laughing noise when I herd it the first time. Once your used to it though, it fits right in with all the other diolog in the movie. Beside's there are way more dumb/cheesy lines in there than just this one. Subtitled version wasnt as bad.

Del Murder
09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Ryushikaze: If you feel the need to correct people then do so, but there is no need for outbursts. Please discuss things civilly.

Araciel
09-01-2006, 11:38 PM
the line doesn't bug me
it does bug me that every week it seems someone posts the exact same thing about it. Get over it. It's part of the movie. I don't intend to be a jerk about it, but it's how they translated it and it's not going to change, oh well.

sorry for bein new to the forum

LUKEJAKE17
09-02-2006, 07:02 AM
the line doesn't bug me

YEAH!? WELL APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED! NEWBIE KNOW NOTHING!

Ryushikaze
09-02-2006, 07:21 AM
1- you are a noob too.
2- All caps is irritating. Stop, please.

Distain
09-02-2006, 07:29 AM
the line doesn't bug me

YEAH!? WELL APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED! NEWBIE KNOW NOTHING!

That was completly pointless. And not funny, if thats what you were aiming for.

LUKEJAKE17
09-02-2006, 07:31 AM
1- you are a noob too.
2- All caps is irritating. Stop, please.
yeah man i may be new but im different to him because im too cool for school...

Dragon Mage
09-03-2006, 12:47 AM
You are a yuppie. Shoo.

Anyways...It seems to me that no one has bothered to look up this phrase. I have and this is what the definition to be:

dilly-dally-to waste time in hesitation or vacillation; loiter or dawdle. From Webster's New World Dictionary

Now consider what Cloud was doing. He was dragging his as* and wasting time. Hesitating. And the Japanese word translated into 'dragging' correct? Well than this phrase, "dilly-dally shilly shally" was a perfect subsitute for the meaning of the word in the original script.
Tifa couldn't say 'dragging your as*' or 'wasting time' or whatever, because the translation had to be as close to the original script as possible, and thus it must be vague, as the original script was. I believe that this is an older expression and not used very often. So, many people would not know what it meant and it would seem very random and stupid to them.
I hope this has cleared some things up.

Anaisa
09-03-2006, 01:19 AM
I didn't like that line in the movie because it didn't fit in. "Dilly dally" is not used in serious conversation, so it was out of place.
You are a yuppie. Shoo. You should have looked up the definition of "Yuppie" whilst you were checking the dictionary. That way you wouldn't make the mistake of attempting to insult someone with an insult that doesn't apply to them.

Dragon Mage
09-03-2006, 01:26 AM
You should have looked up the definition of "Yuppie" whilst you were checking the dictionary. That way you wouldn't make the mistake of attempting to insult someone with an insult that doesn't apply to them.

*sigh* I'm afraid you don't know what I mean. I was using the term 'yuppie' in it's slang meaning. Which basically translates to anyone who is a prep. Not a person with a wellpaying job;no nothing like that. A prep. that is what I mean. In this case 'prep' and 'yuppie' are one and the same.

"Dilly dally" is not used in serious conversation
How so? It seemed to fit in perfectly, so do explain. Back up your statements and I might take them seriously.

LUKEJAKE17
09-03-2006, 01:38 AM
You should have looked up the definition of "Yuppie" whilst you were checking the dictionary. That way you wouldn't make the mistake of attempting to insult someone with an insult that doesn't apply to them.

*sigh* Nevermind. And why should you care, I'm not talking to you. And I know what yuppie means. And I know a yuppie when I see one, so to speak.

How so? It seemed to fit in perfectly, so do explain. Back up your statements and I might take them seriously.
if you need her to back that up when it was said in plain english your an idiot. your saying, youd use a light term like dilly dally in an emotional conversation? SIGH...i think its you who needs to back up your statement about why im a yuppie what dimension do you live in?

LUKEJAKE17
09-03-2006, 01:44 AM
hey dragon mage your dads dead, dragon mages responce: really? drat! old man snuffed it as` he? ah well onwards and upwards i suppose or downwards! HAHA! get it mum?

Anaisa
09-03-2006, 01:48 AM

*sigh* Nevermind. And why should you care, I'm not talking to you. And I know what yuppie means. And I know a yuppie when I see one, so to speak. Really? You can tell over the internet without having any knowledge of their lifestyle that their a yuppie. No, you can't. Because he's not a yuppie. He's my brother, so I should know.

It's not what it means that doesn't fit in. If you think "Dilly dally" is appropriate to be used in serious conversation, you're obviously not familiar with people using it. "Dilly dally" is not formal, it's informal. An as for being taken seriously, you've just claimed to be familiar with two terms that you've just demonstrated you know nothing about.

Zeromus_X
09-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Translator: '"Zuruzuru, Zuruzuru..." Oh crap...uh...how on earth am I gonna fit this into the English script...oh...'

*Translator's assistant comes in late*

Assistant: 'Sorry sir, but there was a traffic jam and...'

Translator: 'I don't want to hear your excuses! You're fired!'

Assistant: 'I see, sir...it was nice working with you...'

Translator: 'This wouldn't have happened if you just wouldn't dilly dally so much!'

'Wait...that's it...of course! I could...wait! Wait, kid, you...kid?'

*other translator enters the room*

Translator: 'Hey! Did you see where that kid went?'

Other Translator: 'Oh, you mean Shally? He just jumped out of the window. He turned in his suicide note on your desk.'

But anyway, instead of dragging his guilt around, he's just dilly-dallying. Now did we really need to argue about the meaning of the word 'dilly-dally'? xD

Ryushikaze
09-03-2006, 06:24 AM

*sigh* Nevermind. And why should you care, I'm not talking to you. And I know what yuppie means. And I know a yuppie when I see one, so to speak. Really? You can tell over the internet without having any knowledge of their lifestyle that their a yuppie. No, you can't. Because he's not a yuppie. He's my brother, so I should know.

It's not what it means that doesn't fit in. If you think "Dilly dally" is appropriate to be used in serious conversation, you're obviously not familiar with people using it. "Dilly dally" is not formal, it's informal. An as for being taken seriously, you've just claimed to be familiar with two terms that you've just demonstrated you know nothing about.

You think "dragging noises" is appropriate to a serious conversation? It was always an incongruous phrase for the tone of the scene, and personally, it works.

Anaisa
09-03-2006, 12:59 PM

You think "dragging noises" is appropriate to a serious conversation? It was always an incongruous phrase for the tone of the scene, and personally, it works.No, I don't think "dragging noises" are fitting either.

Ryushikaze
09-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Well, that's what 'Zuru zuru zuru zuru' is. I don't see you kvetching over the japanese, though.

Odaisé Gaelach
09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, that's what 'Zuru zuru zuru zuru' is. I don't see you kvetching over the japanese, though.

I thought that meant "drifting"...

Anaisa
09-03-2006, 08:52 PM
That's because that isn't what the topic of discussion is. Check the first post. ;) An what's wrong with me "kvetching"? In your opinion you thought the line fitted in well, I didn't. So perhaps you should stop kvetching over my opinion not being the same as yours.

Ryushikaze
09-03-2006, 08:58 PM
That's because that isn't what the topic of discussion is. Check the first post. ;) An what's wrong with me "kvetching"? In your opinion you thought the line fitted in well, I didn't. So perhaps you should stop kvetching over my opinion not being the same as yours.

What's wrong with your kvetching over dilly dally is what's wrong with everyone else's kvetching. It is groundless unless you complain about the original line- which it was a rather good replacement for- as well. No one is doing that. Thus, it all seems to be falling into weeabooism.

Anaisa
09-03-2006, 09:53 PM
What's wrong with your kvetching over dilly dally is what's wrong with everyone else's kvetching. It is groundless unless you complain about the original line- which it was a rather good replacement for- as well. No one is doing that. Thus, it all seems to be falling into weeabooism.
I have given a reason as to why I didn't approve of the line. If I had no reason it would be groundless. You not agreeing with my opinion, doesn't make it groundless. You may think it was a good replacement for the original line, other people like myself, may not like either.

Shadow Masamune
09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
XD

That is correct but in Englsh it cuold have been said differently, like in a phrase such as, "You seem to carry 2 years of weight on your shoulders, WHY?!"

Not "Dilly Dally Shilly Shally." Also I promise this is said in FF6, "Enough with this Dilly Dally."

The fact of the matter is Square-Enix along with many other foreign movies producer's fail to realize that their are certain words in one language that carry over to a phrase in another language, not a word. The intellectual depth of the movie was curtailed from problems in direct translation. this is where relative translation and meaning would have been better as demonstrated above. There is no word in English for Zuru Zuru, so it should be explained in dialogue.

DO NOT MAKE UP WORDS AND FURTHER BUTCHER THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WITH MORE EBONIX! (intentional misspelling).

I can't believe people say it wasn't a big deal. It totally killed the mood of the scene, it was awful,, it made FF AC a joke in English. Next time Square does a movie, they need to team up with Dreamworks for translation, dialogue, and script.

Ryushikaze
09-04-2006, 12:46 AM
I have given a reason as to why I didn't approve of the line. If I had no reason it would be groundless. You not agreeing with my opinion, doesn't make it groundless. You may think it was a good replacement for the original line, other people like myself, may not like either.

And thus you are not kvetching groundlesslly. SM here, though, is.

That is correct but in Englsh it cuold have been said differently, like in a phrase such as, "You seem to carry 2 years of weight on your shoulders, WHY?!"

Not "Dilly Dally Shilly Shally." Also I promise this is said in FF6, "Enough with this Dilly Dally."

The fact of the matter is Square-Enix along with many other foreign movies producer's fail to realize that their are certain words in one language that carry over to a phrase in another language, not a word. The intellectual depth of the movie was curtailed from problems in direct translation. this is where relative translation and meaning would have been better as demonstrated above. There is no word in English for Zuru Zuru, so it should be explained in dialogue.

You mean, like it actually was, with the given lines?

DO NOT MAKE UP WORDS AND FURTHER BUTCHER THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WITH MORE EBONIX! (intentional misspelling).

Neither dilly dally nor shilly shally are made up.

I can't believe people say it wasn't a big deal. It totally killed the mood of the scene, it was awful,, it made FF AC a joke in English. Next time Square does a movie, they need to team up with Dreamworks for translation, dialogue, and script.

That line was equally as ridiculous in the original script, possibly more so. Pure weeabooism.

And explain how Dreamworks would have helped, if you'd be so kind.

Dragon Mage
09-04-2006, 02:35 AM
if you need her to back that up when it was said in plain english your an idiot. your saying, youd use a light term like dilly dally in an emotional conversation? SIGH...i think its you who needs to back up your statement about why im a yuppie what dimension do you live in?

I was saying, let him/her give reasons as to why that phrase did not fit into the movie at that particular point or the entire movie at all. All he/she said was that 'dilly-dally shilly-shally' did not fit. Thus why I asked her to back it up.
I know you are a yuppie because I can tell by the way you talk. Like an idiot. You can't even get your grammer right.

hey dragon mage your dads dead, dragon mages responce: really? drat! old man snuffed it as` he? ah well onwards and upwards i suppose or downwards! HAHA! get it mum?

This only goes to prove my point that you are indeed an idiot and a complete waste of the air you breathe. Added to the fact that you double-posted won't get you any points. You are an idiot. You are a yuppie. But I repeat myself. If you can't make a post that somehow contributes to the thread, don't post it at all. I'm sure the mods will agree.

Really? You can tell over the internet without having any knowledge of their lifestyle that their a yuppie. No, you can't. Because he's not a yuppie. He's my brother, so I should know.

Than that makes you both yuppies!!! And that makes you both a waste of good air! And you are both idiots! Wow. Now don't you feel special.

Now, moving on from Sir Worthless... Did it occur to anyone that Tifa said this just because it wasn't appropriate for an emotional conversation? At that point in the movie, Cloud was steeped in his own self-pity and feeling worthless. Adding on to this with a very deep and emotional conversation would not help the situation and would only bog Cloud down even more. Which is not what is needed because things are in motion and the one person whose strength is desperately needed is sitting on his ass, twiddling his thumbs, and saying, "I'm worthless. Go get someone else." So Tifa needed something to shock him out of his depression and get him going. It seemed that in that conversation Cloud was expecting sympathy or "Be strong" or some speech about facing fears and being brave. 'Dilly-dally shilly-shally' was obviously not what he was expecting and it did the job well, as we see later on in the movie.

Rostum
09-04-2006, 03:00 AM
You can see Tifa's panties in the movie. :bigsmile:

kikimm
09-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Dragon Mage and LUKEJAKE17 - knock it off. We don't allow name-calling here. I don't want to see either of you insult anyone else like that again. Cool the jets. And while I'm at it, don't double post.

Dragon Mage
09-04-2006, 03:50 AM
My apologies to all.

G3ORGE
09-04-2006, 09:37 PM
doesnt cloud say somethig like lets moosey?
that makes them both say weired things lol

Araciel
09-08-2006, 11:39 AM
You can see Tifa's panties in the movie. :bigsmile:

hah yes thank-you!

the point of my starting this thread was to see if others thought this line was ludicrous and out of place, as i do....that being said, i see a lot of people love this movie which is good, and it seems to drag out a lot of emotion. sounds like there's a lot of debate about this one line and people make a lot of different defenses for its existence

Dragon Mage
09-13-2006, 01:47 AM
sounds like there's a lot of debate about this one line

You must have known this would happen. Which is good, because this matter needs to be settled.

You can see Tifa's panties in the movie.

WTF? Wait, ....dragging...

....yuppie....

....panties....

....debate....

....Okay, yeah, I'm lost on this one.

Araciel
09-13-2006, 06:08 AM
people just get so uncivil in these things...oh well

sephirothishere
09-13-2006, 12:12 PM
jus go with the japenese.........it jus sounds stupid inn english..........

Dragon Mage
09-17-2006, 12:15 AM
jus go with the japenese.........it jus sounds stupid inn english..........

Not really. As ryu said 'dragging' doesn't fit in any better than 'dd-ss'(I'm abbreviating it 'cause I'm tired of typing out the whole thing all over again.)

and i'm still lost on that other thing, btw.

Sweet Beloved
09-17-2006, 01:00 AM
It's so bad of a lingo, that everyone in my school is saying "dilly dally shilly shally" or whatnot and it's like big with my friends! And I think Cloud's "mosey" is also in the game, which is quite funny, considering it's Cloud we're talking about.

Araciel
09-17-2006, 01:31 AM
mosey?? in the parlance of our times that's an archaic term

Ishin Ookami
10-06-2006, 11:03 PM
and here I thought the dialouge sucked in japanese. Somehow a lousy translation and an even lesser attention to telling a good story seems to have made the dub even worse. It's quite the feat actually.

And yes, Zuruzuru Zuruzuru is pretty much a sound effect that mimics a dragging noise, basically tifa was trying to say something about cloud dragging his past around with him all the time and how it was weighing him down. I still think she should have just drop kicked that emo punk and shacked up with Reno.

Dragon Mage
10-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Hmmmm, an interesting interpetation of the phrase, Ishn Ookami. Perhaps that is what is meant as well. It depends on which language you see it in, doesn't it?

And I think Cloud's "mosey" is also in the game, which is quite funny, considering it's Cloud we're talking about.

lol. I agree.

Rostum
10-09-2006, 01:13 AM

....yuppie....

....panties....

....debate....

I was pretty much expressing how pointless this thread was, especially when you started name-calling people over something so trivial. Okay, the translation came out pretty lame, end of story, now move on. It doesn't need a couple of pages of discussion -- there's nothing that deep behind it.

Dragon Mage
10-09-2006, 02:15 AM
At least I apologized.

And if you think this thread is so worthless, why even post on it? And why, in general, do people post on threads they think are stupid, other than to flame people?

NINJA_Ryu
10-09-2006, 11:30 PM
You guys dilly-dally shilly-shally too much...sheesh! :P

I was soo thrown off by this line at first, i thought the dvd was broken or something.

Dilly...dally...silly...shally??? WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!!!!!!!

but then me and my friend just turned it into a funny quote that we say to each other now and again, like "Dont dilly dally or ill have to shilly shally all over your ass" ^ ^

its a good little bit of comic humor midst the "angst" that cloud is going through in the movie.

Ryushikaze
10-10-2006, 02:46 AM
"Don't dawdle or I'll have to dawdle all over your ass"?

My, isn't that a nonsensical threat.

Araciel
10-10-2006, 03:53 AM

....yuppie....

....panties....

....debate....

I was pretty much expressing how pointless this thread was, especially when you started name-calling people over something so trivial. Okay, the translation came out pretty lame, end of story, now move on. It doesn't need a couple of pages of discussion -- there's nothing that deep behind it.

perhaps it doesn't NEED a couple of pages, but you're adding to said pointless posts...

Dragon Mage
10-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Indeed. Why not someone argue with me, if they wish. I feel like a good debate. I will rewrite what my last real argument was if anyone wants, in order for said debate to commence. Then this may be getting somewhere again. If not, that's fine too. But it's sad to let a thread linger when no one is talking about the thread's topic.

Darius
10-12-2006, 01:33 PM
I saw the Jap Version first and when I heard this line in the american version it didnt bother me at all. Infact, the only thing that bothered me was near the beginning when Loz starts crying. Not a big deal and I got over it very quickly. I just always wondered why they made one of the best/strongest/most versatile characters in the movie a baby. :p