08-29-2006, 03:56 AM
World of Warcraft Is a great RPG...

Rostum
08-29-2006, 04:01 AM
World of Warcraft Is a great RPG...

And is not a pen and paper RPG.

Zeromus_X
08-29-2006, 04:04 AM
I've played a few games of D&D, but it always just goes over my head. xD My friends have to help me every time I play. :p But it was still enjoyable.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 04:04 AM
so i take that as a no hahahah

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2006, 04:40 AM
I play D&D every Tuesday. Currently I'm running the game, but it will end with the session on the 19th of September, after which I'll be going to university and hopefully find a game I can play in as an actual PC.

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Yep...I'm in about 7 different D&D campaigns, am going to be running on emyself soon, and I also play a game call DragonStorm

http://www.dragonstorm.com

which is actually really cool. I recommend anyone who plays D&D to check it out. It's not very well kmown, but it's cool. ^__^

I'm the only girl in my gaming group, too. :P

NINJA_Ryu
08-29-2006, 05:25 AM
I like D&D, and found out that it is pretty much nothing like the sterotype entails, and i enjoy playing a role, its like acting pretty much. I also find it helps my creative and imaginitive side, and i always laugh when i play with my friends.

But i havent played long, but its been a good way to relax, although i mostly ended up killing people.

One bartender, one cleric and 2 acolytes in about 2 hours, good record :P

Araciel
08-29-2006, 05:39 AM
i just played for the first time last week, it's really interesting and i didn't know it but had been reading novels which take place in various campaign settings for years (how i failed to notice is beyond me)

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 05:56 AM
Wow, that's cool.

Lets see...I have a druid, a cleric, a crazy dragon-ninja girl, a barbarian (with a 18 charisma, mind you.), a ranger, a scorceress....oh, and a Shadow Slayer for Modern, who is a mutant and has wings. :P

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:00 AM
2nd level fighter .. they said it was best to start with the basic class, but i don't think it's that simple...i bought the player's kit and read my PHB...and there's so much you can do with just a human fighter...

which i guess is why so many people love this game

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2006, 06:07 AM
My most recent characters were a Chaotic Neutral Druid who believed in balance through chaos. He was quite the free spirit, he liked living with with nature but had no problem picking up material wealth and using it to buy cool stuff. He liked fire, it was something of a totem to him.

Unfortunately, didn't get to explore too much of him, as we were told the campaign needed a more focused healer.

Thus enter my Chaotic Good Favored Soul, a servant of Lilivati (homebrew campaign world) who was very anti-establishment. He was born noble but felt that the nobility was an opressive system that needed to be abolished. He was also very loud and opinionated. And since he had a 19 charisma (4th level ability boost), he just had to be a silver haired pretty boy. Just had to be.

Unfortunately that campaign ended, so I'm in limbo until I transfer to university and hopefully find one there. I want to play a Psion quite badly, but nobody will let me.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:15 AM
o...my fighter is LG, from a mining community i made up called Nayrwinn. he grew up as part of the militia, but because his father was killed in a cave-in, he was sent to live with his uncle in the nearby legion fort, and trained in more traditional ways of warfare. there he developed an addiction to a drug called blackroot and to gambling. he enjoys the company of women and tends to be seen as an all around bad guy by those who don't know him, but he has a strong sense of what is right

he carries a longspear and clubs for throwing, and has become very close friends with the paladin of the party, who swears she will help him get over his vices i guess this isn't really the place for all this info but i'm stoked hah

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 06:15 AM
Good luck getting someone to let you.

My Favorite character to play right now is Hikaru, my lawful good ninja/fighter/favored soul/samurai/sorcerer/dragon devotee. She's obsessed with dragons, and I have a baby shadow dragon as a cohort. ^_^ base weapon is a dragon-fang kusari gama, and a diamond katana (legacy weapon)

I know that's a LOT of multiclassing, but I'm not done...

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Are you using the Complete Warrior Samurai Variant? I've never liked it. 'Cause it's really not that good.

I tend to avoid dipping into multiple classes. I like playing characters straight through, or possibly with a nice prestige class to round them off. With the Tome of Battle and PHBII out, I really want to play a straight fighter, since all the new feats give them so much more options and let them compete with full casters at the higher levels.

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 06:27 AM
No, straight samurai, as far as I know. i only have 2 levels of it, i think. It's been a while since I played her.

She's actually my only multiclassed chara right now. everyone elses pretty basic.

you know, we should do duels or something. that would be FUNNY.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:28 AM
duels?

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Duels could be interesting. And as far as samurai goes, there are two samurai base classes I know of.

The first (and my personal favorite) is the Oriental Adventures samurai, that gets a few less feats than the fighter, but some extra skill points, a better save, and the ancestral daisho they can enchant up at the first level.

The other one from Complete Warrior is just crap. Heavy-Armored Two-Weapon Fighter with nothing else really noteworthy aside an eventual intimidate as a free action.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:30 AM
and supreme cleave

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Supreme Cleave is cool for cinematic chopping-down-entire-armies, but really, in a situation where you could be using it the enemies are obviously way too weak to be a threat.

Unless you have a DM who's smart enough to judiciously employ the Aid Another action.

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Duels could be interesting. And as far as samurai goes, there are two samurai base classes I know of.

The first (and my personal favorite) is the Oriental Adventures samurai, that gets a few less feats than the fighter, but some extra skill points, a better save, and the ancestral daisho they can enchant up at the first level.

That's the one. But I'm doing Dragon Devotee from Races of Dragon. I just LOVE that class. :P

Some day I'll finish Ninja out for her, too, but I may be, like, lever 30 by that point. :X

DUELS!!!

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:33 AM
uhh...yeah....i'm still new but i will learn...i have committed most things in the PHB to memory, and i can see that the level progression is pretty high powered, your character's relative strength doubles form 1st to second level

are there any good online communities like this one that i can join with that are solely for D&D, aside from the obvious one on the wizards of the coast website?

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2006, 06:39 AM
I learn a lot at the Order of the Stick boards, they tend to have a lot of D&D players there who know how to make some monster builds.

And power increase by level really depends on what class you are. Magic items also play a major role in it as well, and a character can't be effective at higher levels without a bounty of magical items, unless you use certain variants that make them more physically capable.

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 06:39 AM
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32534225/?qo=58&q=by%3Aamberxenon+sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

My ninja, if anyone wants to see her. :P

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:41 AM
yah someone was telling me you NEED magic items or the challenge rating system doesn't work and the monsters become quite dangerous quite quickly

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32534225/?qo=58&q=by%3Aamberxenon+sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

My ninja, if anyone wants to see her. :P

thats cool...i can't draw...need to get someone to draw my character someday

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 06:42 AM
XD

I'm going to start my own game here eventually...but it's a LOT of work, isn't it?

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:46 AM
doesn't seem like it...but i love writing and the mechanics seem like a lot of fun...my DM said it all depends on the kind of group you play with, what they want from the game, and how much effort is needed...he said he wings it a lot and that seems to work pretty well

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 06:50 AM
So do my DM'S...all 6 of them :P

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:52 AM
pshaw...6 dms...i don't have 6 friends hahah

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 06:54 AM
it's kind ahard to keep thrack of who runs when. I haven't even played D&D all summer...we just played Dragonstorm all over the place.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 06:57 AM
yeah well...all my friends who go to school are back so they decided to let me in on the game since they just converted to ver. 3.5...

my guess is they let me in for one of two reasons...i either have finally become geeky enough to partake, or they wanted someone new to buy all kinds of books

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 07:02 AM
XD

Geek is a relaitve term. I met my boyfriend because of D&D.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 07:04 AM
my girlfriend thinks its funny and says she should start buying barbie dolls again haha

i've been a huge nerd since the second grade but i love it

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 07:08 AM
I started reading before I got to kindergarden, so you can imagine how things spiraled downhill from there. ><

All of my friends are gamers, otaku, ect. and we're all in college. People may think it's childish, but it's really not. My MOM used to play D&D!

Araciel
08-29-2006, 07:11 AM
well all my fiends (i mean friends, really) are in school still heh i got out early...and i don't know that i could have found the time with the courseloads they have but it seems to work. i spent all my non class time chasing girls and doing as much physical activity as possible but whatevs...

point is i wish i had known while i was in highschool...would have passed winter lunch periods better than playing cards

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. :P

Araciel
08-29-2006, 07:14 AM
hah generally that applies to situations in which you had choice...i had no idea the game existed, much less anyone who played...bleh

now i have more to occupy my time...great

Markus. D
08-29-2006, 07:31 AM
I have played pen and paper once, it was fun :D

Araciel
08-29-2006, 07:59 AM
heh me too

Markus. D
08-29-2006, 09:34 AM
I was a ... Bard :]

Bards ftw.

Reine
08-29-2006, 04:39 PM
I was a ... Bard :]

Bards ftw.

I always knew you were a bit spoony...

Saku
08-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Pen and paper?

Nah, we use keyboard and electronic die...

Yeah I've played D and D and BESM, both online and with the standard pen and paper. Quite fun... if you have enough people. Four is a good number for a small RPG

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Five is usually optimal. One DM and four players, which can make the four person standard party of healer, blaster, skill monkey, and tank.

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
XD

We had one going with 8 people once...that was an experience.

Araciel
08-29-2006, 08:18 PM
we have four players and the dm...we dont have standard roles though..

Tasura
08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Five is usually optimal. One DM and four players, which can make the four person standard party of healer, blaster, skill monkey, and tank.

My Clerics usually fill all 4 roles, War domain is love "What's that, an army is approaching? Oh well... Blade Barrier! Flame Strike! There, no more army."

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Clerics are considered to be some of the most powerful classes in the game. Ever hear of CoDzilla? Cleric or Druid-zilla? It says essentially a well-built Cleric or Druid wins D&D. Clerics can buff themselves up to be a better front-liner than the fighter, they can heal, they can blast (especially with anything that comes out of Complete Divine, a.k.a. the book of unadulterated cheese), the only thing they really can't do is skill monkey, unless you play a Cloistered Cleric with the Kobold Domain.

Tasura
08-29-2006, 10:56 PM
My Clerics always focus more on anihalting the enemy before I need ot heal an epic Cleric could take on an army by himself, even an above 10 Cleric can take out a fair chunk of baddies, my Cleric in the only non sporadic and planned out cmapign is level 12, and can take out a good portion of an army using Blade Barrier and Flame Strike, along with Slay Living and Harm for up close and personal, and Holy Smite/Unholy Blight for Evil/Good groups, and for archers just Air walk over them and cast a horizontal wind wall underneath of you, they cant hit you and you are free to rain death upon their heads.

ValkyrieWing
08-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey, i just started my cleric.

Then again, she was a 5th level barbarian before...

Crossblades
08-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I would play pen and paper RPGs with my friend back when I was in High School

bipper
08-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Online mudding > any DM. I say this cause I never did the PnP thing. Small town, no friends that were into that :( I was too uncool to play Pen and Papers :(

Araciel
09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
yah that sucks

ValkyrieWing
09-03-2006, 04:34 AM
YAY!! Get to play my druid now w00t!!

NINJA_Ryu
09-03-2006, 05:12 AM
Well, the largest group i have ever been in was 4 people, 1 DM, a wizard, barbarian, and a rogue(me ^ ^)

I love rogues, prolly could beat clerics, but im not that well versed in D&D and classes, so what do i know?

Heh, one of my first experiences was at lvl 1 meeting a chain demon, who then tried to kill me outside the tavern, and the guards took 19 rounds to get to the stinkin place! They always had to check the book... I had no idea of chain demons, and i had a pretty good diplomacy for my level, so i decided to talk to him.

In short, that was a BAD idea:eek:

Araciel
09-03-2006, 06:46 AM
aren't chain demons a bit much for 1st lvl?

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-03-2006, 09:28 AM
One chain demon would wipe a 1st level party out. Several would be a nightmare.

Anyway, as far as rogues vs. clerics. If the rogue got the jump on the cleric, then maybe, just MAYBE it could take the cleric down. Except probably not.

Clerics generally gain about 1 point of AC from dexterity. That's plenty for their eventual adamantine fullplate. So they don't lose much flat-footed, and a sneak attack is just slightly more likely to hit than a normal attack.

If the rogue gets the jump on the cleric and remains hidden enough to take the cleric down over several rounds, then the rogue wins. Unless the rogue is a UMD whore (high points in Use Magic Device and loaded down with scrolls and wands). That's the best situation for the rogue, but the cleric might still win.

A high level cleric spends one round buffing themselves, and the next round leveling Tokyo (putting the "C" in the term CoDzilla). In a straight fight, they will dominate a rogue. And a straight fight is what you're going to get after the rogue makes his first sneak attack.

fantasyjunkie
09-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I started playing D&D in 1980 when the hardcover manuals first came out. My most memorable adventure was when me and 7 other people went through an adventure called Vault of the Drow, released by TSR, the former owner of D&D. I had a 14th level Paladin and I was the only one to make it out alive :mad:

NINJA_Ryu
09-03-2006, 04:22 PM
aren't chain demons a bit much for 1st lvl?

Yes, but at the time, i thought it wasnt too bad, that it just looked bad.

Besides, it was fun, up until the point of the chains flailing around and dropping me down to about 2 hp in one round. So, it was time to flee ^ ^

ValkyrieWing
09-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I've never had a character die...though my ninja was at -2 once.

My boyfriend is a ruthless DM. :(

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-03-2006, 08:31 PM
He can't be a ruthless DM if you've never died. Ruthless DMs make TPKs (Total Party Kills) their trademark.

ValkyrieWing
09-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Oh, he's ruthless, all right. Or pretty close to. I mean , there's one guy whose died at least 4 or 5 times, and another who had his character baelful polymorphed into a fish...when we were in the middle of the grasslands.

Everyone's died at least once...except me, probably beacuse I've been really lucky. And i'm invisible most of the time. One fight everyone we had 2 dead people, two that had gotten turned into bodeks, and me and the paladin. :( THAT was a party.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Being the DM's girlfriend does generally allow for a bit of protection, whether or not they'll admit to it or not :)

Tasura
09-04-2006, 04:09 PM
I was one hit killed by apossesed Dwarven Defender once (my Cleric that is) but h only started attacking me after I took out 2 of the 4 there were. The DM I play with is a bit ruthless, if someone hasnt died in awhile, or the chractr is rahterlopsided, say a half-dragon barbarian, he'd focus all the attacks on them, or do something that thr whole party dies, but on that day i wasnt there, so no deaht for me, and he gives everyone 3 "lives" one by the church, one by a necromancer and one by his npc, after that we've got to make a new character, and being the only original haracter left, the whole of the chais realm is gunning for my head.