PDA

View Full Version : disc read error? not anymore!

Jowy
08-29-2006, 06:03 AM
Tools: An jeweler's screwdriver - philips head, an anti-static cloth (like the ones that come with a PSP), and a standard philips head.

First, unplug your system (obviously). Turn it upside down and pop out the little black things that cover up the screws. There should be eight total. Put those off to the side. Now, peel off the stupid little warranty sticker. Take the top of the system off, and be careful not to crack or damage it. Take the tape holding it to the disc tray off and set that aside. Now, get your jeweler's screwdriver, and take all four of the screws around the disc tray off. Put those aside, and slowly and carefully remove the top. Older models of the large PS2 have a gray wheel near the lens, which you should be able to see immediately after removing the top. Move the wheel to the left until it clicks three times. After that, roll your anti-static cloth into a cone-like shape and wipe off the lens for about four seconds. Be careful at this point, and make sure not to de-calibrate the lens from it's spot. After cleaning it off, put it back together, and plug it in. The disc will initially take a bit to load. After it loads, reset it, and it should play like it just came out of the box.

Don't use anything but an anti-static cloth (PSP/DS screen cleaner, glasses cleaner, etc) or you will flat out destroy the thing. <3

And don't use a shirt either.

Erdrick Holmes
08-29-2006, 06:34 AM
And don't use a shirt either.

Unless it's 100% rayon, like I did.:p

Zeromus_X
08-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Oh, I remember this in one of your pages. :p :cat:

theundeadhero
08-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Is a rayon shirt warm in the winter, or cool in the summer?

I'm not brave enough to take my PS2 that far apart for fear of breaking the little important pieces.

Necronopticous
08-29-2006, 09:49 AM
This will only work sometimes, and when it does work it is only prolonging the life, not fixing the problem. You'll find yourself doing this more and more frequently until it doesn't work anymore. Once you start getting disc-read errors it's a downward spiral, and only a matter of time before your PS2 will die completely. There is no way to truly fix it aside from having the lasers replaced altogether, and at that point you might as well just buy a new one and hope for a more reliable model.

Dreddz
08-29-2006, 12:08 PM
I did the exact same tactic and my PS2 works fine, people are a bit iffy about opening there PS2, but if you've got the balls, then it pays off big time.

Levian
08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
I'd just like to add that I used a regular t-shirt and it worked fine. There really isn't much in there you can break, except the lens obviously. It's probably better to stay on the safe side though and use that cloth. Also just blowing like mad goes a long way too.

Roto13
08-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Sounds worth the risk. If you're getting DRE's, you're going to need to get a new PS2 anyway. Might as well try this.

Stunt
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I need another one of those Screen cleaners, for my PSP and DS, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Anyway, good tutorial, I'll try this on one of my old PS1 games (2XTREME).

Slicksword45
08-31-2006, 06:45 PM
You should note that when you peel off the sticker, you can't bring it to a stor for money or anything. other wise this could be a good idea. But I think just getting a slimline PS2 is easyer