PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Another Stat Levelling Question

Ender
08-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Okay, help a noob out.

Just started FF2, the NES version, and I already understand how to raise weapon and stat levels, etc., so this question is a little different.

a) What should I get my HP, MP, and main weapon stats to before I actually start on the game in earnest (ie go to retrieve the Mithril),
b) and what should I be shooting for in the above stats by the end of the game?

For example, in FF1 one might advise a noob to level up to level 10 before attempting the Marsh Cave and plan to reach level 30+ before entering the time warp in the Temple of Fiends at the end of the game. I'm looking for the corresponding advice for FF2. Because, while I could sit there and just beat the crap out of my characters and cast spells over and over, it's starting to get really boring.

Not to mention that the monsters all flee almost immediately anyway. In fact, the limiting factor is becoming the amount of gold it costs to sleep at the inn, which is becoming ever harder to come by with the Goblins and Hornets fleeing all the time. Yet the moment I step off the beaten path I'm fighting Vampgirls and worse that just pummel the crap out of my guys. :mad2:

so
c) is there anywhere that a good amount of gold can be had by fighting something a step up from goblins and hornets...before I leave for the mithril?

Here I am right now:
Frionel 327HP 76MP 4Swords
Maria 258HP 76MP 2Canes, Bows
Gus 330HP 10MP 4Axes

d) should I just suck it up and use the Select/Cancel trick? I hate excessive cheating, but if it's the only way to not go insane later on...

Captain Maxx Power
08-29-2006, 04:27 PM
a) Unfortunately there's no way you can put a value on these values for certain parts of the game, simply because it will depend upon your playing style, your other base stats, and good old fashioned luck. The fact that you mentioned that monsters tend to flee all the time is the best indication that you should really be moving on. If it is really hard in a new area (and I mean you're getting flounced), you've probably wandered too far. For the time being you shouldn't explore the Western part of the map until much later on in the game. If in doubt make sure you have the Exit spell on one of your characters, and Exit out of a dungeon if your HP/MP is starting to wane (about 25% of their value).

b) End game stats...again, hard to say, since we don't know what sort of characters you're creating. Generally speaking, it's relatively easy to max out your MP (999). It's not necessary, but it's easy enough to do, so why not? HP is a different matter. You could probably get through the final dungeon with about 2k if you were careful. 2500-3000 and you'll have an easier time. 3000-4000 it'll be noticeably easier, and 4000+ will be a cakewalk. This is assuming you have plenty of MP and a high level Cure spell available (it's seriously worth having every character equipped with a Cure spell from as early as possible. It may knock down your Strength when used in battle, so be sure to level it up outside through the menu screen primarily).

c) Unless you want to go exploring that area I talked about earlier to the West, then you're out of luck. If you can survive the groups of Ogres/Wizard etc., then they'll drop plenty of spell books for you to sell.

d) Some people say FF2 NES is impossible without using the select+cancel cheat. Those people are spineless and weak. You can quite easily increase your weapon skills naturally. Later on the game if you want to increase them rapidly, then equip the lowest form of that weapon type, have a Blink spell handy, then go up against an enemy with very high defence (any of the Flan type's will do, but Dark Flans are the best since they have the highest defence). Then have Blink cast on the enemy as many times as possible, until your characters are constantly missing. It still counts towards your weapon experience amount. Then just do it for about twenty~hundred rounds (depending on your weapon skill), then finish them off with an offensive spell. Chances are that, with Critical Hits, you'll finish them off with your physical attacks before you need to do this however.

That's pretty much all the advice I can give. Good luck.

Ender
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. :D

Paul
08-29-2006, 05:43 PM
... sarah?

DJZen
08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
It's pretty simple. Is the game difficult? If yes, fight more. If not, you're doing good.

Sefie1999AD
08-29-2006, 10:48 PM
a) What should I get my HP, MP, and main weapon stats to before I actually start on the game in earnest (ie go to retrieve the Mithril),

I don't think I leveled up much for the Mythril Mines. I probably had about 100-200 HP for everyone, if even that.

b) and what should I be shooting for in the above stats by the end of the game?

Depends on how you level up your characters. You don't need much HP if your defence and evade are extremely high so you never get hit, and you don't need much MP if your spell levels aren't very high. I had something like 4000 HP. On my NES game, I had about 150 MP, and on GBA, I had about 500 MP.

c) is there anywhere that a good amount of gold can be had by fighting something a step up from goblins and hornets...before I leave for the mithril?

You may want to try fighting the monsters NW of Phin. They can be quite tough, but they're good for leveling up and they drop spell books that can be sold for a lot of Gil.

d) should I just suck it up and use the Select/Cancel trick? I hate excessive cheating, but if it's the only way to not go insane later on...

The action & cancel trick doesn't work in DoS version anyway. As for other versions, it's up to you. If you use it, Maxx Power will call you spineless and weak. I think it's better to be spineless and weak than to go insane, though. :p Really up to you.