PDA

View Full Version : I love this game, really

Sunny Day Suicide
08-30-2006, 12:06 AM
But I never understood the point of having dudes like Desh join your party and not fight along. Do they really do anything other then give you information when clicking the B button?

Tavrobel
08-30-2006, 12:20 AM
You need them for the plot. That's about it. In the DS version, it's expected that they will do something (in battle), including one screenshot showing Princess Sara casting Cure.

Angi-Kaiser
08-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Indeed. There's also a screen showing Desh atacking some monsters.

Sunny Day Suicide
08-30-2006, 02:01 AM
It's official, I'm stealing my friends DS.

DJZen
08-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Now now now, don't announce your plans to steal. Say it like this...

It's official, I'm borrowing my friend's DS. With a tire iron.

Sefie1999AD
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Commandeer. You're going to commandeer your friend's DS. Nautical term. :D

Anyways, the side characters don't really do much except talk to you on the NES version. Usually the most emotional story events happen to them, though. Supposedly they'll help you in the battles on the DS version, but it's only some minor help.

Crossblades
08-30-2006, 03:26 PM

Or you can just buy one:p

SpikingZero
08-30-2006, 07:23 PM

Or steal a copy that isn't your friend's.

Disclaimer: I do not promote, encourage or recommend theft.

Sunny Day Suicide
08-30-2006, 07:52 PM

But that makes too much sense

Tavrobel
09-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Disclaimer LE INTERPOL ARRANGIANGEMENTES: We do not fully and wholeheartedly promote, encourage, and recommend theft of your friend's DS or DS Lite, because FFIIIj is totally gonna be worth the possible jailtime, yelling, false accusations, loss of friends, and pure sadistic pleasure.

Zeromus_X
09-01-2006, 02:52 AM
The guest characters randomly aid your party in battle in the DS version, so they aren't just going 'huh?' in the sidelines anymore.

Then again, from what I've heard, some of the bosses are even more challenging then the original, so you may actually need that extra help.

But really...isn't having Dorga in your party cool enough? :D :cat:

Crossblades
09-02-2006, 02:48 AM
The guest characters randomly aid your party in battle in the DS version, so they aren't just going 'huh?' in the sidelines anymore.

Then again, from what I've heard, some of the bosses are even more challenging then the original, so you may actually need that extra help.

But really...isn't having Dorga in your party cool enough? :D :cat:

Desh in your party is cool enough:)

UltimaMasamune
09-02-2006, 09:04 AM

or you can download the ROM

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, and then wait indefinitely for a working DS emulator to be made.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I think there already is. I know there's an FFIII rom. Just in Japanese.

Sefie1999AD
09-02-2006, 05:38 PM
There's an FFIII rom for NES. There will probably soon be an FFIII DS rom too, but there's no working emulator yet, and an emulator would require an overly fast CPU anyway.

Does anyone know what the special characters can do to help your battle? I think Princess Sara and maybe Elia can heal your party, but what about Cid, Desh and Allus? It will be interesting to see what Dorga and Unne can do, although I have a feeling they won't be casting Meteo. That would be too overpowered.

Tavrobel
09-02-2006, 06:16 PM
There's an FFIII rom for NES. There will probably soon be an FFIII DS rom too, but there's no working emulator yet, and an emulator would require an overly fast CPU anyway.

Does anyone know what the special characters can do to help your battle? I think Princess Sara and maybe Elia can heal your party, but what about Cid, Desh and Allus? It will be interesting to see what Dorga and Unne can do, although I have a feeling they won't be casting Meteo. That would be too overpowered.

I have a feeling Sara can heal (both offensive and defensive Cure), Elia will probably use Ice/Thunder/Cure, Desh seems like he can attack (altho most of the game with him is done in Mini/Frog mode) or increase defense randomly. You don't do a whole lot with Cid, and Allus probably isn't that great of a fighter (that being said, they will attack normally). Dorga will probably cast spells you don't have access to, but nothing overpowered. I say Unne will do nothing but cast WWind (which makes your life uber-easy).

Zeromus_X
09-03-2006, 03:57 AM
I read in the FFIII DS Boss faq that Sara casts a recovery spell and a protective spell, and that Desh attacks, but just check it out to be sure. (On Gamefaqs).

Desh in your party is cool enough :)

Yeah, but now he only comes in one color. :/ :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Elia will probably use Ice/Thunder/CureIt would make more sense for Elia's ability to be something exclusively water-related.

Similarly, Unne could put all enemies to sleep.

Tavrobel
09-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Well, the only Water spell in FFIII was Leviathan. Sure they could've added more, but until we see these things, there's not much to go on. Also, there's no reason she can't use those spells, as Thunder would be very anti-Water enemies, Ice is just Water at cold temperatures, and Cure is... Cure.

Death by sleep. Brilliant.

DJZen
09-03-2006, 06:33 PM

Not necessarily, the main CPU of the DS is just an ARM946E-S, which is a 32-bit CPU, and it runs at 67MHz. The secondary processor is an ARM7TDMI, which is the same CPU that the GBA uses (hence the backwards compatibility). It runs in both 32 and 16 bit modes, and has a clock speed of 33MHz. Most computers being sold today use dual core 64 bit CPUs running at over 2GHz, and many computers currently used in homes use a 32 bit CPU running at over 1GHz. At that speed, it wouldn't really be a problem to emulate both of the DS's CPUs so long as you weren't multitasking. It also doesn't have that much memory, at only 4MB. Most typical computers these days have at least 256 MB of memory, not to mention HDD based virtual memory (and many argue that for Windows, all that and more is necessary :D). The real trick in making the emulator run is to emulate the CPUs correctly, which can take time to figure out, and to properly run the firmware. After that it's just a matter of tweaking the bugs out.

Also, there IS a FFIIIDS ROM available on the internet. A friend of mine has it, but as said before it won't run on any current DS emulators.

atlanteay
09-03-2006, 11:40 PM
actually, the new version desmune can emulate the intro and the menu of FFIII. But back on topic, Desh can fight now right? so it's better than having him follow you around and do nothing. Princess Sara can heal now, sweet... wonder what elia does.

Sefie1999AD
09-04-2006, 03:33 PM
*SPOILERS!*

If you check this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h0zUNCzNB8), you'll see Desh using a powerful thunder spell that hits all the enemies. It's quite handy in midget dungeons when your physical attacks are pretty much useless and you want to save your MP for the boss, so Desh's thunder attack lets you win a random battle with no MP cost.

DJZen
09-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Why are you using physical attacks in the midget dungeons?

Tavrobel
09-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Because you run out of MP.