PDA

View Full Version : Who didn't like Leon?

TehAnima
08-31-2006, 07:38 AM
He goes evil on you then when he just randomly joins the party because the Emperor is back. He's forgiven just like that and I doubt he really went good again anyway.

There is just so many reasons not to like IMO.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Yeah, FFII's plot is pretty spotty like that, but it was a decent fix for a console RPG in 1988. As for Lionheart specifically, I like him based on his name and character design alone.

Sefie1999AD
08-31-2006, 10:21 AM
I quite liked Lionheart's character. He was sort of a mix between Kain and Golbez. I also liked how you could make him a pretty useful character very quickly. I had spent 20 hours or so building up the other characters while Lionheart only took me a few hours to get to a good enough fighting condition for the last dungeon.

DJZen
08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
So people shouldn't forgive members of their own family?

Peter_20
08-31-2006, 04:38 PM
So people shouldn't forgive members of their own family?Plus the fact Leon obviously was controlled by The Emperor, Kain-style.

Crossblades
08-31-2006, 05:56 PM
I liked Leon

scrumpleberry
08-31-2006, 06:19 PM
I HATED HIMMMMMM!!!

I couldn't be bothered to level him once I got him back, so he stayed dead all the way through Pandaemonium, I revived him in time to fight the emperor, and then he died on the first turn. I didn't bother after that. :razz:

Personality wise, he had no personality. Neither did anyone else. So I couldn't like or hate anyone.

Paul
08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
i liked him, but he turned up too late.

DarkLadyNyara
09-01-2006, 12:39 AM
He goes evil on you then when he just randomly joins the party because the Emperor is back. He's forgiven just like that and I doubt he really went good again anyway.

There is just so many reasons not to like IMO.
Aha! It's not just me! I was starting to think I was the only one who felt that way. :love:

So people shouldn't forgive members of their own family?Plus the fact Leon obviously was controlled by The Emperor, Kain-style.
I never bought that concept, just because of how Leon acts when you confront him.

Zeromus_X
09-01-2006, 12:48 AM
He looked cool I suppose. Although he's just a blue Firioniel in the FC version...:/

DJZen
09-01-2006, 12:54 AM
uhhh... not really he's not.

Zeromus_X
09-01-2006, 01:03 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/lionheartisapalletteswap.jpg

uhhh... yeah, he kinda is. At least in battle.

Edit: Nevermind, it isn't big enough...but, if you'll just look at their in-battle sprites, it's apparent.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-01-2006, 01:25 AM
http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy2/Party/Frioniel.GIF http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy2/Party/Lionheart.GIF

There are more differences than mere colors.

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy2/Party/Josef.GIF http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy2/Party/Gordon.GIF

By what you're saying, Gordon is just a red Josef.

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy2/Party/Richard.GIF

And Richard is just a yellow Frioniel in a helmet.

Reine
09-01-2006, 02:33 AM
lol, silver haired pretty boys again

Zeromus_X
09-01-2006, 02:55 AM
Yeah, but it's pretty apparent that their two sprites are alot more similar than the other sets of sprites in the game.

Of course, you're right...Lionheart has a belt. :cat:

TehAnima
09-01-2006, 04:32 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/lionheartisapalletteswap.jpg

uhhh... yeah, he kinda is. At least in battle.

Edit: Nevermind, it isn't big enough...but, if you'll just look at their in-battle sprites, it's apparent.

Holy crap! That's how the emperor looks in the old versions of the game!

I also never bought that he was under control by the stuff he said before he joins the party.

boys from the dwarf
09-01-2006, 07:29 AM
i think it was more of a passive manipulatoin by the emperor. his mind wasn't being controlled but im sure he was under some sort of magical influence. like in FF1, theres not much to like about the characters because they dont really have a character and they don talk much. or at least the 4 main characters dont, seems as minwu and ricard E.C.T get some good lines. so that also means there not much to hate about these basic characters. Leon was o.k and i sort of like his part in the story.

Fireblade13
09-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Leon has no real good stats like Minwu. He has awesome Stam. and Magic but only for quick lvling. I just try training him in weapons i'm not using. For magic he get's guy's Haste,Berserk and drain. Not really useful but the extra damage is okay and the one lvling cheat is easier.

Paul
09-02-2006, 01:19 AM
jesus the censorship around here is a bit soviet union isn't it. anyway, leon and frionel look very alike in the NES version. sure lots of the characters have the same body, but they all have pretty different heads. Frionel and Leon have almost identical heads. Anyone can see this.

DJZen
09-02-2006, 04:11 PM
It was the NES days, slight sprite differences were seen as completely different sprites back then. Anyway, all FF sprites have the same basic face unless that character is young, and even then it's still pretty dang similar. They all have the same jawline and T shaped eyes.

Sefie1999AD
09-02-2006, 05:50 PM

I don't think Leon was controlled by the Emperor. If he was, why would he argue with the Emperor that he's now the new Emperor? He wouldn't have given the throne back to the Emperor without a battle, either.

Kishi: Those pics are great, and I think Leonhart's sprite looks a lot cooler than Frioniel's.

rubah
09-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Leonhart is much hotter than Frioniel is. That's just how he is, and a big part of why I like him.

Paul
09-02-2006, 06:36 PM
i wasn't criticising square for having them look kind of similar. obviously it was standard at the time. it just bothers me when people argue black is white just because they are so in love with square that they can't face reality. of course it doesn't matter that they looked similar, but that doesn't mean people should deny it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-03-2006, 05:31 AM
No one's denying that they look similar. And you shouldn't be so presumptuous about what people are thinking. I'm always eager to call Square on whatever crap they pull.

Paul
09-03-2006, 12:14 PM
well the fact that my post was deleted either points to ultra-sensitive super cotton wool government at these forums, or a moderator that can't handle square being called into question.

this isn't even a big deal i don't know why i'm still talking about it, but a few people here are in denial. the mention of the both of them looking similar has drawn quite a few people (including yourself) to square's defense. which is a bit amusing, don't you think?

DarkLadyNyara
09-03-2006, 11:46 PM
well the fact that my post was deleted either points to ultra-sensitive super cotton wool government at these forums, or a moderator that can't handle square being called into question.
Or it may mean that the post was off-topic, and irrelevant. :rolleyes2

I don't think Leon was controlled by the Emperor. If he was, why would he argue with the Emperor that he's now the new Emperor? He wouldn't have given the throne back to the Emperor without a battle, either.
Thank you. :D

Leon never claims to have been controlled. He just decided that he liked having power.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-04-2006, 04:11 AM
They're not the same. Leon's hair is more suave. Firion's is spikey.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-04-2006, 06:30 AM
the mention of the both of them looking similar has drawn quite a few people (including yourself) to square's defense. which is a bit amusing, don't you think?Except I wasn't trying to defend Square's sprite-crafting skills circa 1988. I just wouldn't describe Lionheart's sprite simply as "a blue Frioniel." Personal impression.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Leon was a very useful party member in the end so I don't care what he did during the earlier parts of the game

Sunny Day Suicide
09-08-2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy2/Party/Frioniel.GIF

Let me borrow this real quick.

Vuala. Kishi's right, they're not the same.

Bolivar
09-30-2006, 06:27 AM
Basically he wanted power that he thought he could never have with the good guys, but when he was defeated and usurped by his former master, i think that had a really humbling effect on him. Like addicts who hit rock bottom, he found out he was wrong...

It's very evident that he's a precursor to Kain Highwind. In that sense, he's one of the foundations of FF, not to mention his name was re-used as a surname for a later FF protagonist...

ReloadPsi
11-10-2006, 01:01 PM
I liked Leon
I liked him, although he was a pain to level up to the standards of the main party.

Omni-Odin
11-11-2006, 02:26 AM
I liked Lionheart. I thought he was one of the coolest characters. And it adds a great twist to the game.

Peter_20
11-25-2006, 02:57 PM
I quite liked Lionheart's character. He was sort of a mix between Kain and Golbez. I also liked how you could make him a pretty useful character very quickly. I had spent 20 hours or so building up the other characters while Lionheart only took me a few hours to get to a good enough fighting condition for the last dungeon.It's because the others start with really poor stats, while Leon joins at the end of the game with highly developed stats. :D;)