PDA

View Full Version : The Subway in Moscow

Madonna
08-31-2006, 06:15 PM
If you ever have the occasion, take the subway in Moscow. Apparently, you can meet, see, and possibly talk to a [wide variety of people] (http://englishrussia.com/?p=252) that you cannot find anywhere else except maybe somewhere else.

Of course, the subway stations are supposed to be almost monuments of grandeur in themselves, but really, people-watching is where anything interesting has ever been at.

So talk about the link and the people photographed within, the strange encounters you have had on public transportation systems with preference to subway trains, subway stations, Russia with a particular focus on Moscow, and/or people-watching in general.

Quindiana Jones
08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
LoLzOrDs. Those pics made me laugh, though I swear I know some of the people in them...

Oh yeah. Try sitting outside motorway services and watch the people walk by. You get some really weird conversations and really weird people sometimes. It's great.

Rye
08-31-2006, 06:28 PM
In Communist Russia, the subway photographs you. :irked:

I do not have many memborable moments in the subway. NYC's subway is fun, but crowded, and it's fast so you feel like you're gonna fall down sometimes. xD I prefer the train because you can look at the world passing by out the window.

theundeadhero
08-31-2006, 06:39 PM
I rode the subway fairly often while in Korea, but it was them that were usually giving my friends and me the shocked look :eek:!

Alive-Cat
08-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh, how I do love to take the tubes. :p

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-31-2006, 07:13 PM
I went to the Notting Hill Carnival about three years ago and the local tube station closed down, so a large crowd of people had to walk to the nearest station. On the carriage there was this one homeless kid holding a shoddy looking blanket. Call me a snob but I didn't want this kid touching me in any way and he so very nearly came close to it, reaching over and putting his hand on my seat to look down or outside the carriage. He got off about two stops later and I overheard this lady say she didn't really want to take his then vacant seat. In a way I'm happy I had that experience since I am now fully aware of what happens to the seat I occupy on any public transportation. Come to think of it I'm not too sure whether that kid was a boy or a girl

Strider
08-31-2006, 07:18 PM
I was riding BART home from San Francisco one day and there was a guy on the train who was clearly drunk and was introducing himself to everyone as Jerry Garcia.

Flying Mullet
08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
http://www.englishrussia.com/images/moscow/moscow_city_subway/24.jpg
Here we can see a perfect example of the teamplay (or teamsleep?).
xD

Dreddz
08-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Meh, the tube is stuffy, crowded and dirty. It has a nice smell though :)

Odaisé Gaelach
08-31-2006, 09:39 PM
I have got to go to Moscow some day. :D

Anaisa
08-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Anyone who has read my LJ, will know exactly how I feel about public transport. :irked: Although I do enjoy laughing at the people using it. But even that doesn't make up for the terrible aspects of it. I don't like most people, so I don't want to travel in the same vehicle as them. I don't even want to breath the same air as them to be honest. Particularly when that air smells of either some slut's overbearing perfume, some fat man's BO, some old woman's tobacco encrusted clothing, you get the picture. Here is an example of the kind of conversations I laugh at on the bus: An old woman tells of her encounter with David Bowie..... "There was a huge queue stretching all the way from the chip shop round to Tesco's". "So we're all waiting in line for our chips, when who should walk up... but David Bowie!" "We were all nudging each other saying: "look, look, it's David Bowie!", "We couldn't believe it! He'd been to the race course you see, so he just strolls past the queue and walks straight into the chip shop!" "He thinks because he's a celebrity he can just walk in and get his chips"! "So the woman at the counter say's: "I don't care who you are, you'll wait for your chips like everybody else!". "He offered her concert tickets, but she said": "no, you'll wait like everybody else has to!" A likely story....