PDA

View Full Version : TMV - Amputechture

DK
09-01-2006, 02:18 AM
This is the first time i've listened to The Mars Volta, and so far I'm loving it. Very cool stuff. Anyone else got thoughts on it?

GooeyToast
09-01-2006, 02:24 AM
You've listened to it already? :( I'm trying to resist the urge to download. I'm craving it like a deprived heroin junkie. What do you think your favorite song is so far?

Seriously, if you like Amputechture, get Frances and Deloused. I reccomend Aaron's edited Frances, it gets rid of the excess ambience and makes the album 75 minutes of pure kickass. Plus it has Frances The Mute, which was left out of the original. Deloused is more rock, whereas Frances is more jazz/latino influenced. I've come to prefer Frances myself, but Deloused is equally brilliant.

DK
09-01-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm listening to it right now, and so far it's awesome, but i'm barely into it. I'll give more of an opinion when I'm through. Tetragrammaton is an amazing song.

Everyone says this is the best album so far though, so i'm worried that the other two won't live up to the standards set. :(

I Took the Red Pill
09-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Eunuch Provocateur is a delicious song.

GooeyToast
09-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Yes, I've heard Tetragrammation is great, many think Day of The Baphomets is one of their best recorded tracks yet from what I've heard though.

That's odd, a lot have been saying this doesn't live up to the previous two. Trust me though, Deloused and Frances do not dissapoint. Deloused is easily one of the best rock albums of the last ten years, and Frances takes Deloused, adds even more complex instrumentation, crazy lyrics, and frantic mayhem than before. Both are pure genius.

DK
09-01-2006, 03:11 AM
As far as this album goes, Day of the Baphomets is DEFINITELY the standout track. That and Tetragrammaton are my favourites, they both have a nice jazz thing going on.

GooeyToast
09-13-2006, 11:28 PM
I got the album yesterday finally. Another quality album by the Volta. Although I must say, it wasn't quite what I expected. I was anticipating frentic guitar, horn blowing mayehm, but got more of a jazz/bluesish sounding album. It definetly has a much different sound to their other albums, in the sense it's not as frentic and more jazz/blues oriented, so it's hard to compare. So far it doesn't seem as melodic as before, instead opting for a more experimental edge. I think I enjoy Frances more, but repeated listenings might change that, seeing as how Frances took a long time for me to get into. Tetragrammation, Day of the Baphomets, and Meccamputechture are my favorite tracks at the moment.

One gripe I have though is how quiet the drums were mixed (some songs even having no drums at all). It really is a shame considering Jon Theodore was such an amazing drummer. Though I must say, I'm glad the bass and keyboards are more emphasized this time around.

eestlinc
09-15-2006, 03:39 AM
I really dislike just about everything involving the Mars Volta. I think their aesthetic is very unappealing, the music is tediously too much at once, and their hideous album names are a good example of their lack of a sense of beauty.

GooeyToast
09-15-2006, 04:02 AM
I really dislike just about everything involving the Mars Volta. I think their aesthetic is very unappealing, the music is tediously too much at once, and their hideous album names are a good example of their lack of a sense of beauty.

How many of their songs have you listened to exactly? I think it's a little ignorant to make such bold claims about a band without at least delving into all the material they have to offer. All of their albums are very different, ranging from classic rock to jazz to latino. I can see why you might see it as "too much", but I don't think it is at all. The band is about breaking new ground in music, and they have been very succesful with that. Upon first listenings, I didn't like them very much, they annoyed me and it made no sense. But after a few repeated listenings, I began to understand what they were trying to do, and I realized it most definetly was not just insanity for the hell of it, but really mind-bendingly complex and incredibly well thought out music. Listen to Cassandra Gemini and tell me that is not well concieved music.

What is this of hideous album names? How is Amputechture, Frances The Mute, or Deloused in the Comatorium hideous? Did you ever consider that maybe these albums have a concept to them, that they are very appropriately titled for the message they convey? Yes, it is very hard to understand exactly what theyre saying, but it most definetly is not impossible, as evidenced by the countless threads on thecomatorium.com. It is supposed to challenge you, both musically and lyrically. Some people aren't up for that challenge, or simply find it as pretentious wankery in an attempt to be deep. The albums are not supposed to be beautiful, theyre supposed to be angry, dark, and thought provoking. There is beauty to be found (just look at The Widow, Miranda That Ghost, or Asilos Magdalena), you just have to dig into it to find it.

Give TMV another shot. Listen to Deloused to start with, yes the whole album, and I'm sure you will realize its far from tedious wankery. You may not like it, and that's justifiable, but you cannot deny the pure talent Omar and Cedric have. They're making some of the greatest and most original rock out today, and I hope people will take the time to listen and discover everything they have to offer.

eestlinc
09-15-2006, 04:08 AM
I listened to Deloused about five or six times through and it was brutal punishment. I also listened to Frances a couple times and was equally turned off.My basic critique is that they go for too much of everything all the time. I don't feel they offer much musically, which is not to say they don't have good technique, but rather that the music seems to be all show and no core. Then they come up withthese ridiculous and grotesque names that are awkward and half-pretentious. Their whole body of work makes em think of bad middle school poetry. Admittedly I have not listened to their latest, but with my past experience I don't see any reason why I should.

I'm not insulting anyone who likes them, and some of my good friends who I consider to have very good musical tastes absolutely love them. I just happen to disagree wholeheartedly.

GooeyToast
09-15-2006, 04:24 AM
Well, I give you props for at least listening to form an opinion. I can see your points, but I guess to me all the complex instrumentation is exactly why I love them so much. It's just so original and genre-bending that I can't help but admire their techniques. Omar definetly does show off his guitar a lot, but the pure insanity of his playing is what draws me in. I don't find the names ridiclious at all, I think they perfectly complement the lyrics and music. Just because Cedric uses a lot of unusual words doesn't mean it's show-offy. I can't picture it any other way.

I guess the fact that they've got so much unexpected commercial success really has amplified all the dislike, because it's so NOT commerical in so many ways. They truely are a love/hate band.

eestlinc
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
they definitely do their own thing and that's cool, I just happen to dislike what they do. they are very original and creative, though.

Cz
09-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm pretty much with eest when it comes to The Mars Volta. Televators was a good song, but neither Deloused or Frances did anything for me. It's nice to see people pushing the boundaries, though.

Jowy
09-18-2006, 12:22 AM
I just bought it last night. Day of the Baphomets was worth the $10 for the CD alone.