PDA

View Full Version : Worth getting a DS lite?

FallenAngel411
09-01-2006, 07:37 AM
When all you care about are Final Fantasy III, IV, V, VI? I dunno what to do...:cry:

I Took the Red Pill
09-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Well there's 4 great games you have right there, and even if you don't think you like any other Nintendo games, I say give them another chance. There are alot of good to great DS games out there. Mario Kart DS, Mario 64 DS, Nintendogs, Advance Wars Dual Strike, New Super Mario Bros, Metroid Hunters, Animal Crossing WW, Warioware Touched, I could go on (Not to mention the whole GBA library). I honestly don't think you would be disappointed.

Markus. D
09-01-2006, 08:03 AM
I reccomend you try to get Castlevania DoS.

an extremely good RPG apparently.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-01-2006, 08:05 AM
It's an action game, actually.

JKTrix
09-01-2006, 12:25 PM
If 'all you care about' is Final Fantasy, then the DS is an excellent system to broaden your horizons. There's a pretty high chance of you picking out a high quality game at random, though there are a few stinkers as well.

There are several recent topics with people asking what games to get for the DS. The ones that show up frequently are all good picks.

Castlevania is an action game with RPG elements (EXP, leveling up, getting stronger and such), but there are a few other RPGs I'm looking forward to as well. There's Magical Starsign, which you can play with 5 more people over the internet I believe. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, which will have online battles among other features. Children of Mana and Contact are also 2 RPGs I'm highly anticipating.

I'm not sure if Dragon Quest's Rocket Slime is an RPG, but I'm anticipating that one as well.

Vyk
09-01-2006, 12:43 PM
FF1-6 on DS. Also supposedly getting a CC sequal. And you can play FFTA on it. Not that you need a DS for half of this. But FF3 looks nice. And if the price deters you, you can always get the original DS used for cheap. That's what I did. Its not a bad system. I've been abusing it with GBA games lately myself. But now that I'm done with the Castlevanias for GBA I shall move on to DS Castlevanias

ljkkjlcm9
09-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Then Children of Mana, Lunar Knights, Magical Starsign, three good RPGs coming out soon, the new Starfox game is out, Vandal Hearts is supposedly being made for the DS, as are Xenosaga 1 and 2 remade on one cartridge.

The DS has so much to offer, even just in terms of RPGs

THE JACKEL

Craig
09-01-2006, 03:05 PM

No it's not. You buy weapons and level up, duh.

Markus. D
09-01-2006, 04:39 PM

Ar Pee Gee Elements.

meh... feels to RPGish to be action in my eyes....

Roleplaying Soma.

though its officially stated as an Action game, there wrong :]

edczxcvbnm
09-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Nah. RPG fans just don't know what other genres are like so anything with the slightest of RPG elements is an RPG because they don't know any better ;)

Roto13
09-01-2006, 04:59 PM

Adventure game, truly. ;)

Moon Rabbits
09-01-2006, 05:00 PM

Ar Pee Gee Elements.

RPG elements don't make a game an RPG.

I question the truth of this statement :(!

bipper
09-01-2006, 05:00 PM

Video game, duh. :p

Dignified Pauper
09-01-2006, 10:04 PM

Video game, duh. :p

Dracula

Araciel
09-01-2006, 11:24 PM
so what DOES make a game an rpg? chocobos?

anyway, the DS lite made my hands cramp up a bit at first cause it's so small..but the light is wicked bright so i bought it...first handheld i've owned since the original gameboy ah pokemon red how you ruled when i was younger

KentaRawr!
09-02-2006, 12:46 AM
RPGs today seem to focus around stat managing. Then it splits to either Western RPG, which normally concentrates on doing whatever, and then there's the JP RPG, which is rather linear.

Castlevania: DoS has elements of RPG, Action, and Adventure. However, I wouldn't really recommend it to someone if they just beat FF7. >_>

Anyway, the DS is certainly worth it. If all you care about is Final Fantasy, you have 6 numbered Final Fantasy games and FFTA. Xenosaga Episodes 1 + 2 are on the way, and so is a sequel to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Then there's Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. Then there's the Golden Sun games and Tactics Ogre. o_O You really can't go wrong when it comes to RPG's with the DS/GBA. And in other Genres, ithey certainly appeal. The Castlevania Games have a great balance of action, adventure, and RPG like Stat Managing. The Super Mario games are "teh awesomez". Mario Kart DS is easily one of the best Kart Racing games ever. And much, much more!

DS/GBA = God. >_>

FallenAngel411
09-02-2006, 02:29 AM
I think the moment I find some money lying on the ground somewhere, I will totally go out and get me one :3

Rostum
09-02-2006, 04:14 AM

I can garantee it's not an adventure game. (Adventure examples: Legacy of Time, Myst, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, etc)

Also, I think DS Lite is worth getting. It's fairly cheap, and the games aren't too expensive either. Plus it has some good Mario games, and RPG's that are coming out. :)

abrojtm
09-02-2006, 04:30 AM
However off topic, Castlevania (the newer ones in particular) are Action/Adventure with RPG elements.

I plan on getting a DS sometime in the near future. I just hate spending money.

~SapphireStar~
09-02-2006, 05:48 PM
I was planning to get one with my ex when our loans came through, but Im getting one and not sharing it! Im planning it mainly for the Final Fantasy series. I'll most likely use Ebay and get FF3 imported.

JKTrix
09-02-2006, 05:54 PM
If you get hand cramps you're holding it wrong. Don't jam it up in your palms like we've been doing since the Green & Black GB came out, hold it loosely in your fingers.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/dsgrip.jpg

Trust me, you won't be getting cramps playing like that.
As for the game in that pic, Ouendan, you only need one hand to play it really. You can rest it on a table and poke at it with the stylus, or give it the palm grip with your opposite hand and poke it from there.
-------------------
As for the 'sub-topic', there are many games that don't fit into one particular genre. Heck, Super Mario Brothers is an RPG: a role-playing game. Any game where you control one particular character can technically be called an RPG, because you're playing the role of a character. Nobody calls Super Mario Bros and RPG though, because it isn't an RPG like 'real' RPGs are (with stat points and stuff like that).

An adventure game is also one where you 'go on an adventure'. That's a category that fits in almost every game as well. There is a type of game, like a Monkey Island or Myst that are in a particular style that people would definitely classify as 'Adventure', but you can get into the technicality of it till the end of time.

The purpose of the 'Genre' label is to define what element of interactivity you will have with a game. It doesn't define what the game 'is'. Many games today have all sorts of different interactive elements, but it would be a waste of space to print them all out. They usually take the dominating trait, then put that on the box.

But ya... DS LITE BANZAI!

Fonzie
09-03-2006, 03:07 AM
I just bought one myself. Gotta wait a week through the mail though T_T

Zeromus_X
09-03-2006, 03:38 AM
I'd say it is. There are a handful of good (other than Final Fantasy) RPGs for the DS, and of course great games of other genres for it as well. Even so, with it, you could play all the first generation FF games, which, alone, would make it worth buying (with the myriad of other reasons...)

NINJA_Ryu
09-03-2006, 04:01 AM
For me at least, it was simple. Where i live, the nintendo DS was 150 wheras the DS lite was 130 (crazy, but true)

I favor DS over PSP for library, and for the fact that sure, video games can be played with buttons, but some of the coolest/quirkiest ones have alternate control (stylus, remote sensing, etc) ^ ^

Reine
09-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin is being advertised in the Coming Soon section, and it made me want to get a DS Lite just for it..

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is impossible to find sadly, but theres still Sonic Rush atm, which is the only DS game im interested in thats out atm

Of course, once FF3 DS is nearing release here, im getting one as fast as possible..

FallenAngel411
09-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey, guess what? I found some money lying at the bottom of my credit card and now I'm in extreme debt LOLZINESS!!!!111! :cry:

So now that I own a DS Lite and FFIV officially (well, Capital One owns them as of now :shifty:), should I get Nintendogs or not? :D

KentaRawr!
09-03-2006, 10:50 AM
I'd rather get Mario Kart DS instead of Nintendogs, personally. >.>

Araciel
09-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin is being advertised in the Coming Soon section, and it made me want to get a DS Lite just for it..

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is impossible to find sadly, but theres still Sonic Rush atm, which is the only DS game im interested in thats out atm

Of course, once FF3 DS is nearing release here, im getting one as fast as possible..

dawn of sorrow is impossible to find?? maybe in the pie cave

bipper
09-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Can a DS play all old game boy games?

Araciel
09-08-2006, 05:17 PM
i think it's only advance games

yah it is i wanted to get shadowgate for gbc but there was no point, i remember now

Dignified Pauper
09-08-2006, 06:41 PM
i'm getting a DS Lite rather soon, since they are ONLY 129 bucks. Not to mention that Animal Crossing is a game that has fascinated me and I've never played it.

Castlevania nostalgia.

Mario Kart DS

New Mario Bros.

Children of Mana.

Um, yea, what a library.

bipper
09-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Does it have less carbs than the old DS?

Araciel
09-08-2006, 07:06 PM
no, they're just packed in there tighter...it does have a bigger filter though