PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy X Connection

Blykus
09-01-2006, 08:19 AM
First off, sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I've heard rumors that FFX is tied in with FFVII. Something about X being a sequel to VII or whatnot. It kind of made sense to me when the character aptly named "Shinra" in X-2 was speaking of a way to draw energy from the planet. ::cough:: Mako ::cough:: But, I was actually surprised about the somewhat subtle references to X throught Dirge of Cerberus.

Shalua. The first thing I thought when I saw her was Auron. Her arm was hanging out of one sleeve and one of her eyes was closed shut. The physical resemblance was uncanny. Not that her personality matched his, but the exterior qualities were just eerie.

Nero. He reminded me of Anima so much. The arms crossed over each other and his face being wrapped in bandages, or whatever it is his face is covered in. Plus, him making people disappear with the darkness made me think of Anima blinking people out of existance.

Now, those two I doubt have an actual connection between the two games. I just thought that they were both interesting. The one other thing I noticed, however, does seem like it would connect VII and X.

When you are on the Shera, you can speak to different crew members. One of the crew members tells you that the Shera was actually some old technology that they salvaged. This technology doesn't run on Mako, but some unknown source. Automatically, I thought about the airships in FFX. I haven't played that game in a while, but I know that the airships in that game did not run off of Mako. So, maybe the airship was some pre-catastrophic machine (or machina, in this case) that was present during X era.

These are all things that I have been think about, as of late. Anybody have anything they would like to comment on or add?

JackNapier
09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Haven't SE actually confirmed that all the games are based in totally different worlds? (with exceptions like the VII series of games) Although I did come across something simmiliar to this once, and I've got to be honest it made me go hmm. I don't know if this would be considered advertising but there's the link.

http://www.trap17.com/index.php/final-fantasy-timeline_t39980.html

Blykus
09-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Nobody else has anything to say? Though I did read what was said in that link, it didn't hit anything that I mentioned. So, I'm wondering if anybody thinks that this may actually mean anything or if they are simply coincidences.

Thoughts?

Cid's_Lady_Erin
09-02-2006, 03:43 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=89850

I know it says FF8, but it turned into a FFX is FF7 thing after a bit.

Blykus
09-02-2006, 03:47 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=89850

I know it says FF8, but it turned into a FFX is FF7 thing after a bit.

It kind of touched on that, but more about VIII. I personally don't think that VIII and VII are connected, but what do I know?

Cid's_Lady_Erin
09-02-2006, 03:58 AM
I saw a post somewhere, I thought it was in that topic, I don't know. Anyways, this post by someone I can't remember who it was, had parts of interviews with Nomura and some other Square people along with bits of parts in the X-2 game that alluded to 7 (ex. ShinRa's infamous comment about harnessing the planet's energy). Anyways, in these interviews, Nomura said that yes, 7 and X were connected, with X being a prequel to 7. Rin teamed up with ShinRa to attempt to harness the planet's energy (though this did, as ShinRa said, take many generations). Eventually (after space travel was acquired) ShinRa's descendents went to another planet (the Planet in 7) and set up the ShinRa company there. That was the gist of it I think. So yes, according to Nomura and some other people (Kitase I think and the Ultimania guides), 7 and X are connected. If I remembered where I saw that post I'd give you the link, but I can't, sorry, I could have sworn it was in that topic.

Blykus
09-02-2006, 04:03 AM
I saw a post somewhere, I thought it was in that topic, I don't know. Anyways, this post by someone I can't remember who it was, had parts of interviews with Nomura and some other Square people along with bits of parts in the X-2 game that alluded to 7 (ex. ShinRa's infamous comment about harnessing the planet's energy). Anyways, in these interviews, Nomura said that yes, 7 and X were connected, with X being a prequel to 7. Rin teamed up with ShinRa to attempt to harness the planet's energy (though this did, as ShinRa said, take many generations). Eventually (after space travel was acquired) ShinRa's descendents went to another planet (the Planet in 7) and set up the ShinRa company there. That was the gist of it I think. So yes, according to Nomura and some other people (Kitase I think and the Ultimania guides), 7 and X are connected. If I remembered where I saw that post I'd give you the link, but I can't, sorry, I could have sworn it was in that topic.

Hmmm, interesting. Thank you for posting this information. That is all very interesting, and I wonder which parts of it are fully true. The references within DoC make sense now.

DLLS
09-02-2006, 06:14 AM
I posted this somewhere on this site before but heres a link to the Nojima Interview about this subject..............it's a really cool site about the theorys of FFX and FFVII being connected
http://www.willamette.edu/~ejohnson/nojima.htm
I think that FFVII and FFX are connected but are on different planets or something :)
Heres the homepage
http://www.willamette.edu/~ejohnson/intro.htm

Nifleheim7
09-04-2006, 02:20 AM
^
Thanks for the link!This is very interesting...

Zeromus_X
09-04-2006, 03:03 AM
The worlds of FFX and FFVII are just different worlds. That's the only connection they have, being in the same universe. It doesn't affect their storylines at all (i.e., you can't connect everything in FFX to VII and vice-versa).

But anyway,

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_vii_ultramania_omega.txt

Jessweeee♪
09-04-2006, 04:39 AM
First off, sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I've heard rumors that FFX is tied in with FFVII. Something about X being a sequel to VII or whatnot. It kind of made sense to me when the character aptly named "Shinra" in X-2 was speaking of a way to draw energy from the planet. ::cough:: Mako ::cough:: But, I was actually surprised about the somewhat subtle references to X throught Dirge of Cerberus.

Shalua. The first thing I thought when I saw her was Auron. Her arm was hanging out of one sleeve and one of her eyes was closed shut. The physical resemblance was uncanny. Not that her personality matched his, but the exterior qualities were just eerie.

Nero. He reminded me of Anima so much. The arms crossed over each other and his face being wrapped in bandages, or whatever it is his face is covered in. Plus, him making people disappear with the darkness made me think of Anima blinking people out of existance.

Now, those two I doubt have an actual connection between the two games. I just thought that they were both interesting. The one other thing I noticed, however, does seem like it would connect VII and X.

When you are on the Shera, you can speak to different crew members. One of the crew members tells you that the Shera was actually some old technology that they salvaged. This technology doesn't run on Mako, but some unknown source. Automatically, I thought about the airships in FFX. I haven't played that game in a while, but I know that the airships in that game did not run off of Mako. So, maybe the airship was some pre-catastrophic machine (or machina, in this case) that was present during X era.

These are all things that I have been think about, as of late. Anybody have anything they would like to comment on or add?

No. :nonono:

TidusMaster
09-09-2006, 07:25 PM
ok....think about it.the four feinds are in FF1. the four feinds are in FF1.they can have some similarites.

atlanteay
09-10-2006, 04:15 AM
haven't they already admitted that ffx and ffvii are related?!?! ShinRa from x-2 came to Gaia (ff7) and became the ancestor of president shinra after years rufus came along with cloud and co.

RiseToFall
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
~ Square does this on purpose just to drive all of you people crazy. That is all.

Markus. D
09-15-2006, 05:17 AM
Mild Connections whilst not direct.

totally differant universes dont allow them to be a direct relation.

Aralith
09-15-2006, 05:25 AM
As much as it might seem implausible that VII and X are connected to so many of you, it has been officially stated that they do in fact take place in the same universe. However, I do not believe that the Shera in DoC is one such connection. It is my belief that it is just a cameo. Remember in FFI, you had to dig up an airship that ran off of some unknown technology? Well, I think that they just put a similar thing in DoC nothing more.

Hell, if you wanted to use that as a connection, you might as well say that all of them are connected. After all, every single FF game either mentions Cid in conjunction with airships, or actually has him as a character that flies airships. Anyways, to sum up, VII and X are connected, it's official. Spirans are pre-Gaians. Nomura and Kitase said it, so get over it if you don't like it.

Fatal Impurity
09-18-2006, 01:11 PM
awesome! ive just read that interview...and ive been thinking....does this mean there will be a another FF10/FF7 sequel/prequel to explain and expand on the FF10/FF7 link? something along the lines of FF7: historys or something? or do you think it may take place in an OVA or such thing as that?

G3ORGE
09-18-2006, 05:20 PM
So are they connected? i dont get it :S

Rainecloud
09-18-2006, 05:24 PM
You can interpret the 'connections' between Final Fantasy games pretty much any way you want to.

Still, this fictional timeline is quite interesting.

Dante WolfWood
09-18-2006, 09:28 PM
~ Square does this on purpose just to drive all of you people crazy. That is all.

Agreed....:D ;) :choc:

Cid's_Lady_Erin
09-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Still, this fictional timeline is quite interesting.

Do you mean fictional like it's not official??? I mean, Square did say it.

And frankly, I seriously hope they do not make a game or OVA to illustrate it. Something like The Maiden Who Travels The Planet or Case of Denzel/Tifa, okays, but Idk, it doesn't sound like there's really enough there (and I admit, I dislike the fact that Cloud could be Tidus's descendent in some way, it's just too creepy for me)

G3ORGE
09-19-2006, 06:03 PM
cloud in AC does look like tidus a bit lol

RiseToFall
09-24-2006, 12:13 AM

I think that has more to do with the fact that they were both designed by Tetsuya Nomura then an actual connection between the games.

kissgirls
09-24-2006, 06:43 AM

I think that has more to do with the fact that they were both designed by Tetsuya Nomura then an actual connection between the games.

well maybe there is connections also with characters looks...

Tidus/Shuyin=Cloud
Lulu=Tifa
Yuna X-2=Kadaj
Rikku X-2= Yazoo
Paine X-2=Loz
Cid=Cid :p

Who knows, when square was making ffvii ac they looked at these characters for there characters in CG (who knows!) :eek:

Cloudane
11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Interesting comparisons. (Major DoC and FFX spoilers follow)

Personally, I thought of Auron the whole time I saw Vincent, the red cape, the partly hidden face, the fact that he's "undead" (if I understood it correctly, he died when Hojo shot him and Lucrecia revived him by using Chaos), the flashbacks from when he looked 'normal' etc. I was almost certain he was going to return to the planet in the end just as Auron did and was surprised (pleasantly of course) that it was a relatively happy ending after all. I see your point with Shalua's physical features though.

Nero - I never thought of Anima, but now that you mention it yes. Personally I kept thinking of Varuna, the creature you meet up with in the Omega Ruins in FFX - and I very much doubt that it's a coincidence. I don't think they're connected, but I do think that they've used the same ideas.

I thought Lucrecia was startlingly similar to Yuna, too. She has the same face, the same smile, the same kind of mannerisms.

On only a vaguely related note, Rosso the "Krimson" had exaktly the voice I envisaged in Ultimecia (FFVIII)

The way they found the airship did remind me of how they found them in FFX and X-2. Same principle I think - Ancient Machina = Cetra Machines.

As for FFX and FFVII being connected, yes I read that too. It was the scenario writer, as I recall, who said that he personally (note: NOT an official view of Square Enix) intended it that way. Reading between the lines I'd say that the people of Spira eventually invented space travel and ended up on Gaia, and were the origins of the people who called themselves the Cetra. This would tie in with the dialogue in FF7, where they say that the Cetra "move in, settle the planet and move on". Over thousands of years they of course intermingled with the humans already from that planet, and the name of Shinra was passed down until it got to the president - thousands of years later. The technology of the Cetra/Spira people was of course lost when most of them were killed off.

Interestingly, that would make Aerith the last remaining person from Spira.

chrisfffan
12-02-2006, 08:41 AM
theirs no connection thank god!

The Mog Ninja
12-18-2006, 10:00 AM
i personally dont think there is a connection, and if there is, spirans cant be pre-gaians unless they r morons. i mean, who renames their planet?

*~Angel Wing~*
12-18-2006, 02:01 PM
When I 1st saw the rumors about this, I thought it was crazy. But after I read on, I realized that there were a lot of interesting conections. Whether it's true or not, I'm not sure.

I personally think ALL Final Fantasys should have NO conection to any others. :nonono:

Hmm...wouldn't it be weird if ALL the Final Fantasys were conected in some way...:rolleyes2

Timerk
12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
There is some connection between the two games (FFVII and FFX), but when you start throwing around words like sequel...I don't think it is that developed.

Cloudane
12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
They didn't rename their planet, they invented space flight according to the guy from Square who thought up this whole idea. They flew from Spira to Gaia. Maybe they'd already drained all the mako from Spira and killed it :p Or more likely they were just explorers.

They were most likely the founders of the "cetra" who landed there (the Shera airship was probably built by them).

And no, FFX isn't a prequel as such - they're just "connected"

count_of_gaea
12-29-2006, 10:32 AM
If you're still interested, this is a little fictional timeline i created linking the two games together. I wrote it AGES ago, and im surprised you havent found it by searching the forums.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=82175&highlight=timeline

:)

Cloudane
12-30-2006, 02:11 AM
That was a fun read.

It's got a few holes in it, mostly relating to Shinra and Midgar's history but is very well thought out, well written and a good read regardless.