PDA

View Full Version : Hero Shield

Znake
09-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Where about do I find the Hero Shield?
And Is It any good.

Captain Maxx Power
09-01-2006, 10:51 AM
The Hero Shield can be found on the optional dragon "Brachioraidos" in the Lunar Ruins which are opened up after you've killed Zeromus once. He's arguably the hardest enemy in the entire game, if only because his attacks do copious amounts of damage. There's plenty of guides about how to defeat him scattered about the internet, so I'll leave it up to you to find out how.

As for the shield itself, it's without doubt the most powerful item in the game. It has the highest equipment stats of any shield in the game, and bonuses to all base stats. In terms of power, it's second only to the Adamant Armour (which by contrast can be much harder to get hold of). It also has the ability to change any elemental resistances into absorbtion. For example, if paired with said Adamant Armour, you'll absorb Fire, Ice and Lightning damage (heal from it rather than take damage). It's most potent ability however is the fact that it can be equipped on anybody, even characters who wouldn't normally be able to equip shields. As such it can make tanks out of any character in the game, and in my own humble opinion is best equipped on a non-melee character such as one of the spell casters. Infact once I had it equipped on Edward for my solo challenge, there wasn't much that could actually touch him. For the ultimate combination, pair it up with the Vishnu Vest which you get at the end of the dungeon. With the two together not only will every elemental attack in the game heal you, but you'll be almost untouchable by physical attacks and have sickening magical resistance to non-elemental spells. That's if you're awesome enough to use Edward.

Zeromus_X
09-03-2006, 04:05 AM
With a Ribbon, Adamant Armor, and a Hero's Shield, you can assume that your character equipped with those three articles of equipment are as close to invincible as can possibly be (disregarding Tornado/Weak attacks that could possibly screw you over regardless).

I have, however, had several problems with the Hero's Shield not functioning properly on my characters (usually Yang and Edge), possibly because of their ambidextrousness. I don't know if this is a bug, but hopefully it is fixed (along with the many others) in the European and other versions of Final Fantasy IV Advance.

Znake
09-03-2006, 10:47 AM
This "Barchioraidos" I have to fight to get the Hero Shield, is he a Boss, Or Rare Encounter. And can I only get one Hero Shield from him. I've got over 1000 Sirens, but I was going to use them on Pink Princesses for the Adamant Armor. On the Ribbon, is there anywhere else to get one from other than a Dark Sage. I've fought this guy Hundreds of times, but never recieved one. And stealing one is non-existent.

Captain Maxx Power
09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
This "Barchioraidos" I have to fight to get the Hero Shield, is he a Boss, Or Rare Encounter. And can I only get one Hero Shield from him. I've got over 1000 Sirens, but I was going to use them on Pink Princesses for the Adamant Armor. On the Ribbon, is there anywhere else to get one from other than a Dark Sage. I've fought this guy Hundreds of times, but never recieved one. And stealing one is non-existent.

Brachioraidos is found as an optional boss on the second to last level of the Lunar Ruins. You'll know him when you see him. He's big, bad and has the largest walking sprite in the game. You can bypass him entirely, or "talk" to him to initiate the battle.

As for Ribbons, here's a complete list of where they can be found;

- Lunar Subterrane, floor B7, rightmost room. There are two of them here. Fight the Lunasaurs to get them.
- Lunar Ruins, in the floor before Cecil's trial where a man asks you to find the Platinum Toad. Hidden in the grass.
- Lunar Ruins, in the floor before Zeromus EG full where you fight Proto Phase. In the center of the room.
- Lunar Ruins, in the center of one of the floors before Zeromus EG.
- Rare drop from Bog Witch.
- Rare drop from Dark Sage.
- Semi-rare drop from Worst Malboro.

It's worth pointing out that you can technically get enough Ribbons for your entire active party from chests. There's no reason to have Ribbon's equipped on your inactive party members. As a side note seeing how you have 1000 Sirens, and are probably planning on getting Adamant armours en masse, it's worth nothing that Adamant Armours do exactly the same thing as a Ribbon, in that they prevent all status ailments.

cecil+rosa
09-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Lunar Subterrane?

Captain Maxx Power
09-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Lunar Subterrane?

The "final dungeon" of the game, the one in the Lunar Palace.

cecil+rosa
09-03-2006, 05:48 PM
shouldnt you have put that in a spoiler?

Captain Maxx Power
09-03-2006, 09:29 PM
shouldnt you have put that in a spoiler?

Under the circumstances I don't think it's necessary. It doesn't give away much if any of the story line. Apart from the fact that the last dungeon is called the Luna Subterrane, and that it's in the Lunar Palace. Besides which if that were the case I'd have had to have placed spoiler tags on most of what I've wrote so far.

eestlinc
09-04-2006, 05:41 AM
You don't need to use spoiler tags on a fifteen year old game, especially not about parts that aren't new to the GBA update.

Znake
09-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Is there anyway to stop my characters from being Berserked? I'm fighting Flan Princesses for some reason :mog: , but the battles are taking too long and causing too much damage. I need to get Rydia and Porom to cast their most powerfull Magic at least 3 times for a quicker victory, but they keep getting Berserked. The first time I fought them, after I'd first completed the game, before I went to the Lunar Ruins, I dont remember having any trouble with Berserk. Is there some kind of equipment I need for it.

Edit: It's alright, I've got some Ribbons. I forgot all about them.